Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 09:52   #16
BHPian

Kudos to this young man ..... whose dared to put these priceless beauties in such a condition for so many years.
Old 17th November 2009, 20:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

No words enough to comment on his passion, eye for detail and originality and an enviable collection.
Thanks for sharing, Salutations to him on behalf of Team-BHPians.
Regards,
Old 19th November 2009, 12:10   #18
BHPian

Seen this BSA Motorcycle in Ratnagiri owned by Mr.Shrikant Bapat, a 59 yrs. old garage owner.
Attached Thumbnails
Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-hhd0019-medium.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-hhd0020-medium.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-hhd0021-medium.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-hhd0022-medium.jpg  

Old 20th November 2009, 00:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

This seems to be a BB31 or BSA plunger model, its a 350 cc over head valve, renowned for its sturdyness. I had one 1954 model and let me tell you the Plunger shock absorbers are a magic! at 50 and above speed it creates an amazing feel as if a kid is placed on a jumper. Unfortunately had lost it due to a mechanic's foul play.

However this bike seems to be in fairly good condition and sharing the rear number plate of a Triumph.
Old 18th June 2011, 01:21   #20
BHPian

Re: Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up

Dear Royal bull wots the name of this great uncle in ooty...i just have one BSAM20 & one AJS (bought in this month) would just like to see him whenever i am visiting ooty & touch his feet.

regards-
Rahul
Old 18th June 2011, 13:16   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbull View Post
"THIS WRITEUP ISN'T ABOUT TECHNICAL STUFF,THERE ARE MANY TBHPinas WHO COULD PUT STUFFS BETTER,THIS IS A SMALL DEDICATION TO A MAN WHO HUMBLY MAINTAINS HIS CLASSICS,LET THIS BE APPRECIATION THREAD TO HIM... "

I was in my friends home with his parents,brother's family & adorable US citizen Kid chatting together.They were about to visit Ooty(Previously aunty has told to me about her Dad's Interest in Classic Bikes.I was expecting to have him one or two bikes..say some bullet post war period ones...),suddenly my friend hopped me in to the trip so that i could have a visit with them as well as see those bikes.I said YES after thinking for 0.00 seconds.

Day started early, I got up at 4.00 (the best timing i have ever made in 2008 & 2009 half year).Prepared & sat down on my bed browsing my empty gmail & 110 ton office mail,also checking out when the clock will strike 7.00AM for me to leave.

Got a call from my friend saying " start ".Started my Bull towards east with thoughts of how many times i am going to puke,put myself to shame in front of car driver actually ! ( i wasn't afraid about my friends family,for I know them for a good period of time) how many times will he stop,will he scold me badly ?

With these thoughts i reached their place & with usual delay we started .I seated myself on last row,side facing seat in Tata Sumo(My first time in Tata Sumo).Typical Indian taxi driving took us to mettupalayam in a shorter time.I forgot about puking and had an awesome breakfast.

Finally when we started climbing,the timing chain of vomiting sensation started revving up,avomins didn't work,with his brother on my side,I was thinking just three things

1.not on him
2.not on 750 $ cam
3.not on front seat

rest wherever is fine.while he was saying about the SLR cam,unable to respond properly i puked first time @90 lph.that was followed by three more time.Finally his dad made me sit in front seat.nothing in stomach to throw out,I cooperated with the driver who made up to a Herbal Estate smiling at my earnest,which was supposed to have patients paying up 200$ a day, fortunate to see those places,had lunch & to mention up a good herbal tea,which was actually enjoyed by me & his brother only.other have missed the best part.

we started off to ooty,they were excited to see their grand father,we climbed up to his place

THE MOMENT

my eyes were gazing around to see any garage which would put an identity to his grandfathers place,warned by dog's bark,we entered the premises lead by his mother.

I started feeling butterflies in my stomach(as if Sonam Kapoor proposed me) seeing outlines of bikes covered in typical camouflage rain covers.

They were greeted by old gentleman looking like antony hopkins,but I wasn't available to his greetings instead I was greeted by Vintage bikes BSAs,AJSs,Matchless...dumbstruck with a garage having a original Norton locked in it.My leg started trembling,he spoke with me in a humble voice,flawless English i have ever heard from a 90 year old(He writes articles in The Hindu,must be genius!!).I got involved with him

All I saw was original ones,restored to pristine condition by himself,brass handles,dynamos,clutch cover,smiths meters(I once even heard of guy showing off for a single smiths meter,this gentleman has at least 30 of it),old petrol taps,cranks,gear levers,carbs,spokes,everything meticulously collected by him for restoring the classic bikes.He explained to me each & everything with a spark in his eyes.

I really wondered about this gentleman.

-How could he be so active considering his age,He is almost 90,rides his classics daily to his work,he is an accountant still.
-He has three daughters & a son,all educated well,even settled with grand children,How could he manage that with this costly affair
-How could he manage financially(getting 30k salary i haven't even managed to buy a single bedspread properly) how much hard work he would have put?
-How could he keeps all bikes in running condition,ie all are post 1950 at least
-How could he devote time,I think he doesn't have laziness in his dictionary
-He lives alone,Is classic bikes his mates?

With so many ever continuing question I made way out of his house.

When some rich X has collection of vintages,its his pride people,he has loads of vitamin M & men to do the job he desires (no offense guys,just to mention about the facilities money can buy)..

but this gentleman & people like him are the one to be appreciated,he has brought out his family successfully,kept himself in good condition,running all those vintage bikes where his interest lies.you can put a vintage show with his bikes.Recently Mr.Venu Srinivasan has brought a triumph from him to keep in a museum, don't you think its a dream destination for a common man.

Don't you think he & people like him deserves " a life time achievement award " for pursuing their dream or interest beyond usual commitments,which common man like me & many other people spend their whole life satisfying up commitment alone & not dream..!!

with heavy thought & glimpse of bikes that i could never even see in my life,i left ooty & reached Coimbatore,the day ended with we men pushing the sumo for a jump start,life's perception started at me " A man is as good as he keeps his car ", i touched my bullet to head to my home,may be my bull too was inspired,he started in a half kick...Day Ended

let photos speak more...

PS: KINDLY PEOPLE,THIS WAS PUT TO SPREAD MY RESPECT TO GENTLEMAN.THROUGH WHATEVER MEANS I DOESN'T WANT THE GENTLEMAN TO BE DISTURBED.SO KINDLY STOP YOURSELVES FORM MAKING ANY SALES PROPOSAL.PLEASE

" Kindly forgive me for any mistakes or any ideologies that hurt people,I would surely regret it & correct it in my next post,If pointed out "

More photos to come when I get the SLR prints from my friend.
A beautiful write up and beautiful bikes, a big salute to the veteran Gentleman, i extend my full respect and good wishes for the senior,we all must appreciate his passion and learn from him how we can follow his foot steps, to be somewhat like him,hats off .
Old 4th May 2013, 23:52   #22
BHPian

Dear All,
this is continuation of the write-up written by royal bull-

It was 18th of April, I did go to ooty for my annual vacation with my wife & son, after being here for 4 days i managed to find & meet this grand old man- he is an amazing person- has a large collection of BSA M20, Norton 16H, Triumph 5T & Triumph 3 T.

He has great collection of books- read a lot & also occasionally writes for the Hindu- his love affair with vintage bikes started when he was 6 years old at the time when his father had a 1000cc Matchless twin. That was the first bike he started his life on.

He acquired a lot of brit bikes through a major auction in Chennai-
He also had an Ariel square 4 that was sold as scrap in one of the tea estates at coonoor- this uncle bought it & when some one said his that the TVS family wants to make a museum of bikes this was sold to some TVS family person in CZ but this SQUARE of this uncle is out of india now.

I am trying to cover a few more points about this uncle- I am not publishing this uncles name & address to protect his privacy & sentiments as put by royal bull but with the one hour chat which I had with him- he is an incredible man managing & maintaining the health of his brit bikes like his childreen.

1) Every day morning you may see gods photo but this man looks at the picture of BSA M20 even when he sleeps
2) At the age of 90 he asks me that he would like to buy an ARIEL or exchange something for it (this is the age of 90 & look at his wish list)
3) every Sunday still drives the robust brit bikes with utmost ease.
4) at the age of 90 (leave it if we would be alive to be even 70 ) this man is in his youth

IF Steve jobs inspires me to have taste for the best, this uncle from ooty is enough of an artiste to teach me that passion has no age, no hurdles & nothing to beat it...[/FONT]

IF we are just passionate this man is the WORSHIPFUL IDOL of passion for vintage bikes & the living legend in his own accord

A special thanks to my wife who respected my sentiments & she too understood as how pure, mad & foolish passion this was all about which she thought i was the only one having it & now she may not blame me much as i am just but a pond- here was an ocean- thanks for taking the pictures dear gauri.

Rahul Atul Manthalkar

Last edited by gentlerowdy : 5th May 2013 at 00:05.
Old 5th May 2013, 00:00   #23
BHPian

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-classi-bikes-his-desktop-.jpg

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-special-moemnt-spending-time-legend.jpg

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-bikes-god-him.jpg

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-triumph-5t.jpg

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-what-fulfilling-meeting-c-him.jpg
gentlerowdy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 14:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlerowdy View Post
Dear All,
this is continuation of the write-up written by royal bull-

It was 18th of April, I did go to ooty for my annual vacation with my wife & son, after being here for 4 days i managed to find & meet this grand old man- he is an amazing person- has a large collection of BSA M20, Norton 16H, Triumph 5T & Triumph 3 T.

He has great collection of books- read a lot & also occasionally writes for the Hindu- his love affair with vintage bikes started when he was 6 years old at the time when his father had a 1000cc Matchless twin. That was the first bike he started his life on.

He acquired a lot of brit bikes through a major auction in Chennai-
He also had an Ariel square 4 that was sold as scrap in one of the tea estates at coonoor- this uncle bought it & when some one said his that the TVS family wants to make a museum of bikes this was sold to some TVS family person in CZ but this SQUARE of this uncle is out of india now.

I am trying to cover a few more points about this uncle- I am not publishing this uncles name & address to protect his privacy & sentiments as put by royal bull but with the one hour chat which I had with him- he is an incredible man managing & maintaining the health of his brit bikes like his childreen.

1) Every day morning you may see gods photo but this man looks at the picture of BSA M20 even when he sleeps
2) At the age of 90 he asks me that he would like to buy an ARIEL or exchange something for it (this is the age of 90 & look at his wish list)
3) every Sunday still drives the robust brit bikes with utmost ease.
4) at the age of 90 (leave it if we would be alive to be even 70 ) this man is in his youth

IF Steve jobs inspires me to have taste for the best, this uncle from ooty is enough of an artiste to teach me that passion has no age, no hurdles & nothing to beat it...

IF we are just passionate this man is the WORSHIPFUL IDOL of passion for vintage bikes & the living legend in his own accord

A special thanks to my wife who respected my sentiments & she too understood as how pure, mad & foolish passion this was all about which she thought i was the only one having it & now she may not blame me much as i am just but a pond- here was an ocean- thanks for taking the pictures dear gauri.

Rahul Atul Manthalkar
Was his name James Lilywhite ? Used to have a garage near the Spencer's store ! Road that leads to savoy . If the same then brings great memories back . PM if you want to confirm or any sort of privacy in this regard

Cheers
Old 5th May 2013, 19:38   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Was his name James Lilywhite ? Used to have a garage near the Spencer's store ! Road that leads to savoy . If the same then brings great memories back . PM if you want to confirm or any sort of privacy in this regard

Cheers
hi no hes not mr james

Most Viewed