Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2009, 23:45   #1

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up

"THIS WRITEUP ISN'T ABOUT TECHNICAL STUFF,THERE ARE MANY TBHPinas WHO COULD PUT STUFFS BETTER,THIS IS A SMALL DEDICATION TO A MAN WHO HUMBLY MAINTAINS HIS CLASSICS,LET THIS BE APPRECIATION THREAD TO HIM... "

I was in my friends home with his parents,brother's family & adorable US citizen Kid chatting together.They were about to visit Ooty(Previously aunty has told to me about her Dad's Interest in Classic Bikes.I was expecting to have him one or two bikes..say some bullet post war period ones...),suddenly my friend hopped me in to the trip so that i could have a visit with them as well as see those bikes.I said YES after thinking for 0.00 seconds.

Day started early, I got up at 4.00 (the best timing i have ever made in 2008 & 2009 half year).Prepared & sat down on my bed browsing my empty gmail & 110 ton office mail,also checking out when the clock will strike 7.00AM for me to leave.

Got a call from my friend saying " start ".Started my Bull towards east with thoughts of how many times i am going to puke,put myself to shame in front of car driver actually ! ( i wasn't afraid about my friends family,for I know them for a good period of time) how many times will he stop,will he scold me badly ?

With these thoughts i reached their place & with usual delay we started .I seated myself on last row,side facing seat in Tata Sumo(My first time in Tata Sumo).Typical Indian taxi driving took us to mettupalayam in a shorter time.I forgot about puking and had an awesome breakfast.

Finally when we started climbing,the timing chain of vomiting sensation started revving up,avomins didn't work,with his brother on my side,I was thinking just three things

1.not on him
2.not on 750 $ cam
3.not on front seat

rest wherever is fine.while he was saying about the SLR cam,unable to respond properly i puked first time @90 lph.that was followed by three more time.Finally his dad made me sit in front seat.nothing in stomach to throw out,I cooperated with the driver who made up to a Herbal Estate smiling at my earnest,which was supposed to have patients paying up 200$ a day, fortunate to see those places,had lunch & to mention up a good herbal tea,which was actually enjoyed by me & his brother only.other have missed the best part.

we started off to ooty,they were excited to see their grand father,we climbed up to his place

THE MOMENT

my eyes were gazing around to see any garage which would put an identity to his grandfathers place,warned by dog's bark,we entered the premises lead by his mother.

I started feeling butterflies in my stomach(as if Sonam Kapoor proposed me) seeing outlines of bikes covered in typical camouflage rain covers.

They were greeted by old gentleman looking like antony hopkins,but I wasn't available to his greetings instead I was greeted by Vintage bikes BSAs,AJSs,Matchless...dumbstruck with a garage having a original Norton locked in it.My leg started trembling,he spoke with me in a humble voice,flawless English i have ever heard from a 90 year old(He writes articles in The Hindu,must be genius!!).I got involved with him

All I saw was original ones,restored to pristine condition by himself,brass handles,dynamos,clutch cover,smiths meters(I once even heard of guy showing off for a single smiths meter,this gentleman has at least 30 of it),old petrol taps,cranks,gear levers,carbs,spokes,everything meticulously collected by him for restoring the classic bikes.He explained to me each & everything with a spark in his eyes.

I really wondered about this gentleman.

-How could he be so active considering his age,He is almost 90,rides his classics daily to his work,he is an accountant still.
-He has three daughters & a son,all educated well,even settled with grand children,How could he manage that with this costly affair
-How could he manage financially(getting 30k salary i haven't even managed to buy a single bedspread properly) how much hard work he would have put?
-How could he keeps all bikes in running condition,ie all are post 1950 at least
-How could he devote time,I think he doesn't have laziness in his dictionary
-He lives alone,Is classic bikes his mates?

With so many ever continuing question I made way out of his house.

When some rich X has collection of vintages,its his pride people,he has loads of vitamin M & men to do the job he desires (no offense guys,just to mention about the facilities money can buy)..

but this gentleman & people like him are the one to be appreciated,he has brought out his family successfully,kept himself in good condition,running all those vintage bikes where his interest lies.you can put a vintage show with his bikes.Recently Mr.Venu Srinivasan has brought a triumph from him to keep in a museum, don't you think its a dream destination for a common man.

Don't you think he & people like him deserves " a life time achievement award " for pursuing their dream or interest beyond usual commitments,which common man like me & many other people spend their whole life satisfying up commitment alone & not dream..!!

with heavy thought & glimpse of bikes that i could never even see in my life,i left ooty & reached Coimbatore,the day ended with we men pushing the sumo for a jump start,life's perception started at me " A man is as good as he keeps his car ", i touched my bullet to head to my home,may be my bull too was inspired,he started in a half kick...Day Ended

let photos speak more...

PS: KINDLY PEOPLE,THIS WAS PUT TO SPREAD MY RESPECT TO GENTLEMAN.THROUGH WHATEVER MEANS I DOESN'T WANT THE GENTLEMAN TO BE DISTURBED.SO KINDLY STOP YOURSELVES FORM MAKING ANY SALES PROPOSAL.PLEASE

" Kindly forgive me for any mistakes or any ideologies that hurt people,I would surely regret it & correct it in my next post,If pointed out "

More photos to come when I get the SLR prints from my friend.
Attached Thumbnails
Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009185.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009189.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009190.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009191.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009192.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009194.jpg  

royalbull is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2009, 09:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its a tough task keeping one bike in top shape. Wonder what it'd be maintaining and keeping numerous vintage bikes in great shape.

Hats off to the guy, his passion is commendable.
Old 6th November 2009, 10:40   #3

@ Gordon

Yes Gordon,

He has almost spent a fortune of his Lifet time in keeping up the bikes,infact there are many people who are ready to take his whole collection for a good amount,but he says his life would end without these bikes.great man.

We just became friends in Orkut Gordon !!
Old 6th November 2009, 11:00   #4
BHPian

Soo many bike maintained by a 90 year old person. simply amazing.

this guy defines passion!!
Old 6th November 2009, 13:34   #5

hey guys got some more pics..

In a pic you will find him standing with his favorite motorcycle,BSA with original sidecar,my friend & his brother used to ride around in this classic,lucky people isn't it ?
Attached Thumbnails
Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009186.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009187.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009188.jpg  

Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up-23102009193.jpg  

royalbull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2009, 01:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Amazing post my friend and heart touching as well. In my opinion its not the dream which will take you to the position you want but its the desire to achieve it. I salute this old gentleman who has crossed the pinnacle of what makes him " A true admirer/collector". Aptly said money can buy anything rarest of the rare motorcyles/car, dozens of people to work for them but what matters is the true intrest/hardwork, dedication which makes them stand aprart from the crowd.

Thank you my friend for introducing us to a such a wonderful man, God bless him many more years, good health and wish/ hope to meet this old man one day.
Old 7th November 2009, 17:10   #7
BHPian

Amazing Testimony

Superb narration and testimony about a Great & Passionate human being !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbull View Post
hey guys got some more pics..

In a pic you will find him standing with his favorite motorcycle,BSA with original sidecar,my friend & his brother used to ride around in this classic,lucky people isn't it ?
Old 12th November 2009, 22:24   #8
BHPian

Hi royal bull,
wonderful presentation!

I am sure that this gentleman can inspire many. We have BSA and have been trying to restore it, may be this gentleman will be my inspiration to go top gear. Would be of great help to many like me if you can take his permission and post his contact details so that i can take his advice/help in finishing this restoration project.
Old 13th November 2009, 10:27   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen.ba View Post
Hi royal bull,
wonderful presentation!

I am sure that this gentleman can inspire many. We have BSA and have been trying to restore it, may be this gentleman will be my inspiration to go top gear. Would be of great help to many like me if you can take his permission and post his contact details so that i can take his advice/help in finishing this restoration project.
Which BSA do you own ? Could we have pictures,more details about the bike ?
Old 13th November 2009, 10:45   #10
BHPian

How many of us call overselves bike freaks or say we are passionate about biking and bikes. But when we come across individuals like him, who have dedicated their lives to motorcycles. Atleast had me thinking how passionate am I about bikes and I think I fell short by a long margin
My friends who ask me why don't I go in for a bigger bike, I always end up saying that I'm short of cash.
Or is it that I'm not passionate enough to go buy the bike I always wanted , arranging the cash some how.
I'm no restorer nor do I know much about it, but I know its very expensive and needs a lot of patience.
your write up has had me thinking.
I can't help but respect the gentleman . I believe a true Enthusiast.

Last edited by motorpsycho : 13th November 2009 at 10:47. Reason: spell check
Old 13th November 2009, 17:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbull View Post
...In a pic you will find him standing with his favorite motorcycle,BSA with original sidecar...
Envious!!
Lives at Ooty, an office Job & those timeless machines! Or is it in reverse order

well, can someone pls identify model code of his favorite Bsa machine ?

Last edited by Rennjit : 13th November 2009 at 17:50.
Old 13th November 2009, 20:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
can someone pls identify model code of his favorite Bsa machine ?
It is either a BSA M20 (500 cc) or its (over bored) big brother M21 (600 cc). Both are legendary singles, that did great service during World War 2. Looks like he has prepped it to look like the civil version.
Old 15th November 2009, 21:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
It is either a BSA M20 (500 cc) or its (over bored) big brother M21 (600 cc). Both are legendary singles, that did great service during World War 2. Looks like he has prepped it to look like the civil version.
There are very few M21 in India. Very few M21's came to India and they were post 1951, with telescope front ends. Another distinguished feature about the M21 was that they were side valve alloy heads.The bike in the picture is definately a M20.
Old 16th November 2009, 08:24   #14

thanks all for your great reply,due to his interest in privacy i am unable to post his contact details,he have come to this conclusions considering sales proposals he gets every time from each & every person,i myself have a bullet to restore but didn't want to ask him..

sorry guys !!
Old 17th November 2009, 00:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

royalbull: Great story man. Kudos to this guy for following his passion so earnestly. Hard to find such people around

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks