Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 14:03   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
- is this an original elegant or a millicento? The front panel on which the grille is fitted seems to be of the elegant, as are the round meters. Or was the round meter car called millicento? Please clarify.
Ahem- if you would allow a non-fiatwala to educate you, sir- , the twin round meters and 3-slat all-aluminium grille is the Millecento. It's successor, the so-called 'centre-light model' is the Elegant. I do agree with you that the former looks more appealing (especially the tail-lights), but that's just us of course!
Old 20th November 2009, 14:06   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karl, Rony and all - is this an original elegant or a millicento? The front panel on which the grille is fitted seems to be of the elegant, as are the round meters. Or was the round meter car called millicento? Please clarify.
From the round meters, the number plate light, and the "anda" tail lights, it is indeed a millecento, ie the one with the three slat aluminium grille.
However, the front end seems to have been reworked at some point, to accommodate a superselect grille. The original millecento's grille cut out has its two top corners chamfered., and you can't retrofit a superselect grille without changing the shape of the cutout.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

First and foremost - every Fiat 1100 is a Millecento, as millecento means elevenhundred in Italian. Many later models abroad used this name in literature and books too.

For the Indian cars, we commonly refer to 54-56 models with 3 slat grille as Millecento, as it featured the badge on the dashboard mentioning this. The front panel accomodating this grille is unique to only this grille.

56-57 featured the centre light grille, which we called Elegant. The front panel too accordingly changed to accomodate this grille. This same panel also appeared in the Select and Super Select models.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:28   #34
Senior - BHPian

Karl : I always wanted to know this. Were the words "Elegant" or "Select" or "Super Select" written anywhere? Either on the car or in the manual? Only on the Delights' the dicky monogram mentioned FIAT 1100 D.. All others cars had just "Fiat 1100" monogram.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:31   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Karl : I always wanted to know this. Were the words "Elegant" or "Select" or "Super Select" written anywhere? Either on the car or in the manual? Only on the Delights' the dicky monogram mentioned FIAT 1100 D.. All others cars had just "Fiat 1100" monogram.
I recently posted an Indian advertisement showing the centre light model, advertising it as the Fiat Elegant. This name was not mentioned anywhere on the car.

I assume ditto for Select and Super Select.

The Delights had Indian owner's manual's, and on the cover it clear said 1100 Delight in English and Hindi.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:35   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I recently posted an Indian advertisement showing the centre light model, advertising it as the Fiat Elegant. This name was not mentioned anywhere on the car.

I assume ditto for Select and Super Select.
Sorry, can you explain it better? Regarding Select and Super Select.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Delights had Indian owner's manual's, and on the cover it clear said 1100 Delight in English and Hindi.

Karlji was it 'Delite' or 'Delight'?
Old 20th November 2009, 14:38   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Karlji was it 'Delite' or 'Delight'?
Very much 'DELIGHT' - I don't know why we always confuse it with 'Delite' - me included!
Old 20th November 2009, 15:42   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very much 'DELIGHT' - I don't know why we always confuse it with 'Delite' - me included!
As far as I remember, "Delite" was / is an orange flavoured biscuit from Britannia.
Old 20th November 2009, 16:50   #40
Senior - BHPian

I am told by a very old hand with Elegants that compared to the Millecento the new 1956 Fiat 1100 103E looked so good because of the new grill that the advertising agency guys decided to name it Elegant for the campaign in India. There is no evidence of it having been called that in Italy or anywhere else.
Old 21st November 2009, 11:20   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Are we talking about the Elegant here?
@Karl, awaiting your reply to this.
Old 21st November 2009, 13:17   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are we talking about the Elegant here?
Quote:
@Karl, awaiting your reply to this.
Sorry I missed it.

I'm not 100% sure, but pretty sure that even on the Elegant you could rotate the jewel lights to adjust the intensity of backlighting. On the Elegant the jewel light for Indian cars was mounted to the right of the meter.
Old 22nd November 2009, 15:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
Thanks Manish i will reach out to Jadsons for the rubber. I guess you were referring to my car. Yes the pull starter does work very well it also has a hand accelerator.

The scrap down has begun I will upload picture of the progress soon
I don't know much about classic cars, What do you mean by Hand accelerator?
I guess i might have an idea about the pull starter though. Can u please attach a pic of both if u don't mind
Old 23rd November 2009, 09:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike View Post
Thanks Manish i will reach out to Jadsons for the rubber. I guess you were referring to my car. Yes the pull starter does work very well it also has a hand accelerator.

The scrap down has begun I will upload picture of the progress soon
Sorry Spike, I totally missed out your post. Please when you go to jadsons can you ask for one more Front and rear windshield rubber for our friend Shiva from Hyderabad. Also please provide me your contact info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaver_prad View Post
I don't know much about classic cars, What do you mean by Hand accelerator?
I guess i might have an idea about the pull starter though. Can u please attach a pic of both if u don't mind
Hand accelerator intodays terminology would be called Cruise Control. Its just a lever on the dashboard to pull the accelerator linkage to the desired speed seeting.
Old 24th November 2009, 12:48   #45

Hi Manish,
Jadson's is out of stock for the wind shield rubber. I'm still on the lookout for the same.

Most Viewed