Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 00:37   #16
BHPian

Re: 1951 Hillman Minx restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Hi Avinash....

Nice to see MYG car. I think its ex-Mangalore car.....any history ?

cheers
Hi Girish,

Yes, it is an ex-Mangalore car. It came into India through Cochin port (remember that prof telling me about this) with the number KLT-512. Interestingly, he also had the original UK number plate, for many years, but lost it sometime in the '90s. This has been in in the same family since it landed in India. It was with Dr. M K Parashuram of REC Suratkhal. Got it from him, after much pushing and a few visits in 2008.

Regards,
Avinash
Old 13th September 2011, 13:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_hillman View Post
Hey Mohaan, many thanks for the insights! Yes, you are absolutely right. It is indeed a 1952. No idea why that gentleman said it was 1951 and that somehow stayed in my mind. I just checked the original RC book and it is 19.11.1952

But, the manual that came with the car mentions it to have had a side valve engine. Hope that's right. Please comment. In fact, the engine has been changed to a later model Hillman OHV engine (not sure, but believe its a '54 - `55 one). That's also endorsed in the RC book, but I have now sourced a Hillman side valve motor and few other goodies with it from Mumbai. Many thanks to Karl for helping out. Part of this lot of spares are the vertical pieces on the bumpers. Am planning to put the side valve engine and keep the OHV as spare, and also get a new paint job and upholstery. Btw, while we are at it, what color was your car? Do you know what all color combinations it came with? I want to go for the best of the original shades offered on the car way back then.

Thanks again, will need more of your inputs.

Regards,
Avinash
Hello Mr. Avinashi,
I did not expect such a prompt reply. Yes the original engine is side valve. A friend here in Chennai has acquired a 1954 Hillman and that is also side valve. I think they changed to OHV in late 1954. The original engine is good but if you have a better and more powerful engine now do enjoy it first. The car my father had was disposed in 1980. It was fully black and it gave good service. I forget to say that HILLMAN located on the rear bumper also came in 1952. It was earlier on a separate piece bordering over the number plate light. In case you are getting the original engine ready you can put the Contessa electronic distributor onto it after a little modification on the stem. Performance and smoothness will be great. It has already been done here on a Vauxhall and my old Fiat. On the side-valve engine the distributor comes on top. The Contessa distributor also has a vacuum adjustment on it which can be connected to the carburator. The shocks are arm type. You may have problems getting them reconditioned. Maybe you first bring up the mechanical condition before going in for looks. The tyre size is Ambassador - so you are very lucky - easy availability.

With regards

Mohaan
mohaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2011, 18:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Girish,

Yes, it is an ex-Mangalore car. It came into India through Cochin port (remember that prof telling me about this) with the number KLT-512. Interestingly, he also had the original UK number plate, for many years, but lost it sometime in the '90s. This has been in in the same family since it landed in India. It was with Dr. M K Parashuram of REC Suratkhal. Got it from him, after much pushing and a few visits in 2008.

Regards,
Avinash
Ahhhhh...I thought so, I know Mr Parashuram,
I also was behind this car, he refused many times and one day heard that the car been sold to Bangalore......Congrats
Old 19th September 2011, 20:51   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishpv View Post
Ahhhhh...I thought so, I know Mr Parashuram,
I also was behind this car, he refused many times and one day heard that the car been sold to Bangalore......Congrats
Good to see that you have certified this car! It feels more comforting, almost borders on it feeling more valuable! ha ha..

In fact, even I had to convince him quite a bit, and finally during one of the visits, he gave me a demo of the car, including things like opening the bonnet, boot etc, after which he asked me to show if I learnt it right! What's more, after all this, he asked me to come again, and that time I had to undergo a driving test, which I cleared!

He then agreed to let me have it!

Regards,
Avinash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaan View Post
Hello Mr. Avinashi,
I did not expect such a prompt reply. Yes the original engine is side valve. A friend here in Chennai has acquired a 1954 Hillman and that is also side valve. I think they changed to OHV in late 1954. The original engine is good but if you have a better and more powerful engine now do enjoy it first. The car my father had was disposed in 1980. It was fully black and it gave good service. I forget to say that HILLMAN located on the rear bumper also came in 1952. It was earlier on a separate piece bordering over the number plate light. In case you are getting the original engine ready you can put the Contessa electronic distributor onto it after a little modification on the stem. Performance and smoothness will be great. It has already been done here on a Vauxhall and my old Fiat. On the side-valve engine the distributor comes on top. The Contessa distributor also has a vacuum adjustment on it which can be connected to the carburator. The shocks are arm type. You may have problems getting them reconditioned. Maybe you first bring up the mechanical condition before going in for looks. The tyre size is Ambassador - so you are very lucky - easy availability.

With regards

Mohaan
Thanks Mohaan, and sorry this time the reply isn't as fast. Have started off with a minor restoration including paint job and stuff today. Will keep you posted, and will need more tips from you..

Regards,
Avinash

Last edited by karlosdeville : 19th September 2011 at 21:12. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 9th October 2011, 20:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Mr. Avinashi,

With regards

Mohaan
Hi Mohaan,

I am restoring it and currently getting the paint job done.. Thanks to Pavan for helping out. It was scraped to bare metal and the primer has been applied to the exterior. Plan to go for the original all-black. Right now only the exterior is scraped, and the engine bay is being cleaned up. Yet to get to the interiors. Have one question - were the interiors, like the dash, inside of the door frames etc also in black in your car? Because in mine, I see the interiors in a lighter shade of grey. Also looks to be a metallic finish. Was wondering whether this is original or got changed somewhere down the line. I plan to restore the color it came with.

Thanks,
Avinash
Old 10th October 2011, 07:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mohaan,

I am restoring it and currently getting the paint job done.. Thanks to Pavan for helping out. It was scraped to bare metal and the primer has been applied to the exterior. Plan to go for the original all-black. Right now only the exterior is scraped, and the engine bay is being cleaned up. Yet to get to the interiors. Have one question - were the interiors, like the dash, inside of the door frames etc also in black in your car? Because in mine, I see the interiors in a lighter shade of grey. Also looks to be a metallic finish. Was wondering whether this is original or got changed somewhere down the line. I plan to restore the color it came with.

Thanks,
Avinash
Yes Mr. Avinash, all the Hillman's I have seen had silver grey for the inside door frames and dashboard. I am sure that must have been the original colour. I guess metallic finish would look grander. Mohaan
mohaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 10:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Mr. Avinash, all the Hillman's I have seen had silver grey for the inside door frames and dashboard. I am sure that must have been the original colour. I guess metallic finish would look grander. Mohaan
Hey Mohaan, thanks! That was helpful.

Interesting to see that the original 60 year old interior paint is intact. Hardly any fading. I will try to post some pictures of the restoration today. Doesn't look like it needs any mechanical restoration though, so planning to get the exterior paint-job, cleaning up of engine bay and electricals looked into this time. Got some parts re-chromed and they have come out neat. Also trying to get the other '51 side-valve motor serviced. Once that's ready, plan to swap that with the OHV engine that it is currently running on.

Cheers,
Avinash
Old 14th October 2011, 23:51   #23
BHPian

Any Updates on the Restoration of the Car ??
Old 27th October 2012, 13:40   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Have one question - were the interiors, like the dash, inside of the door frames etc also in black in your car? Because in mine, I see the interiors in a lighter shade of grey. Also looks to be a metallic finish. Was wondering whether this is original or got changed somewhere down the line. I plan to restore the color it came with.
Quote:
I chanced upon this info in an old brochure for the earlier 1948 Minx. I guess it might apply for later cars as well.
The brochure specifies that the dash is painted in jewelescent grey.
I'd assume that to mean that it was in fact a metallic paint from the factory.

If anyone has any reference pics of an original unpainted dash & door frames, I'd request them to share, as I'm currently researching original paint shades for a Minx that is being restored.

1951 Hillman Minx restoration-hillmandash.jpg
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 14:22   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
If anyone has any reference pics of an original unpainted dash & door frames, I'd request them to share, as I'm currently researching original paint shades for a Minx that is being restored.
You can try and refer to this original car that Anjan had posted earlier. Not too much detail is visible though. Are there any active Minx Clubs abroad?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post1190892 (Hillman Minx)

Secondly DKG has a very nice original car of which he is the second owner, perhaps he could tell you more.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2012, 00:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Any Updates on the Restoration of the Car ??
Hi Shreeram, sorry that I am replying a little (just about a year!!!) late. Yes, the car was restored.. came up really well. My friend Pavan helped me out to a great extent. You can visit this link for the whole story when you get a chance..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-w...delivered.html
Old 25th September 2013, 15:25   #27

Mod team note: Post edited. Please avoid quoting entire large posts for short replies, effects readability.

Quote:
Hi All,

This is my 1951 Hillman Minx.
=================
Cheers,
Avinash
Dear Mr Avinash

Are you still looking for the solex carburettor. Is it a solex FAI LL50 model carburettor ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th September 2013 at 16:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks