Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2011, 18:25   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.

My resoration is still at the same stage. Just one Update, today I was lucky to find the original petrol tank cap in Gujari.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc08257.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc08259.jpg
Old 15th January 2011, 18:35   #317
Senior - BHPian

In your garage, there is place to park 3 cars. Currently, one slot is occupied by your car since six months, even after work being completed. The tinker is now refusing to take my NE for restoration citing your example.

Anyways, I pray to GOD that you continue with the restoration asap.

P.S: You want to buy a Beetle now?
Old 15th January 2011, 18:40   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
In your garage, there is place to park 3 cars. Currently, one slot is occupied by your car since six months, even after work being completed. The tinker is now refusing to take my NE for restoration citing your example.

Anyways, I pray to GOD that you continue with the restoration asap.

P.S: You want to buy a Beetle now?
I understand your frustation, but look at this 95% of the tinkering is over with 5% remaining to be done from last 3 months. Whenever the last 5% is done I will take my car .

Your P.S. smells something fishy .
Old 15th January 2011, 18:48   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I understand your frustation, but look at this 95% of the tinkering is over with 5% remaining to be done from last 3 months. Whenever the last 5% is done I will take my car .
The tinker will say that he will complete the job after you settle the payment! Deadlock situation?! I see that your car is converted into a tool box already.

Quote:
Even I was surprised reading the post on last page about Beetle. I think it's PAVAN effect!
Old 15th January 2011, 19:09   #320
BANNED

Quote:

I am sorry to add manish.

This is not how restoration happens.

The car should have been painted and ready to run on road by now.

I understand, you are a working individual, but most of us are also employed and working.

You leave your car to time, all the people involved will get restless and loose interest, resulting in the car coming out a half baked product.
Old 15th January 2011, 20:11   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

I understand, you are a working individual, but most of us are also employed and working.

You leave your car to time, all the people involved will get restless and loose interest, resulting in the car coming out a half baked product.
True, I got a similar feeling when I visited the garage. I hope comming months would be better.

And by the way I was expectting comments on my new original find .

@ Karthick (funkykar): I think money is not an issue 90% of the charges has been already paid. A lot of work is still pending. And I don't have any issues what so ever with my tinker.

Last edited by manishalive : 15th January 2011 at 20:17.
Old 29th January 2011, 09:08   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

I tend to disagree here on some points Pavan. I am restoring an elegant myself and it's not easy as you say. Let me explain

1. Money is never a problem and even if you feed the chaps with crisp minted money, the work will not be done on schedule. I will have the folks here at Hyd who are looking at my restoration vouch for this statement of mine

2. You visit them everyday and when you see the progress negligeble, what would you do? Coax / Cajole / Scold / Threaten and what not but the by product is always the same with the famous dialogue "saab kal se chaalo karonga" , "eik hafte mein katam kardoonga etc" do you have any way out of such situations

3. Every one is employed in one way or the other and travelling to one corner of the city from the other in maddening traffic only to hear the excuses by mechanics / denters / painters gets the patience out of the person who wants the car to be parked in his garage ASAP. What needs to be done in such cases?

We are not virtuso's in the area of ground up car restoration but will definitely not look up to getting the car done up 1/2 baked at any cost. May be you with a restoration experience of more than 1/2 a dozen of classics should start a generic thread on the way to go about a classic restoration and lot of us would benefit from it.

I have personally driven all the way to b'lore just to see how Manish's car was shaping up and I strongly believe that Manish is doing all what he can (balancing work / personal commitments + restoration) to get the car on road.
Old 29th January 2011, 17:36   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post

I have personally driven all the way to b'lore just to see how Manish's car was shaping up and I strongly believe that Manish is doing all what he can (balancing work / personal commitments + restoration) to get the car on road.
Ya I remember you had come here to buy parts for your car. We were all very happy when Arun told us that you picked up many parts from here.

In Manish's case, the Fiat tinker job is fully complete. Just that it has to move out of garage which is not happening as Manish's hand is broken. Hope he recovers well and many more cars too get restored.
Old 29th January 2011, 22:08   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Manish's case, the Fiat tinker job is fully complete.
No no, as on 26th Jan 2011 my tinker was still to finish the remaining 5%, he agreed to do that asap.
Old 29th January 2011, 23:13   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No no, as on 26th Jan 2011 my tinker was still to finish the remaining 5%, he agreed to do that asap.
There is no end to finish the tinkering job. As the car is now used as tool box, damages will be more. I now guess 20% of work is remaining which will increase in due course.

Do it up fast man! We cant wait to see her on road, shining!!!

All the best anyways as the real challenge is yet to begin!

Last edited by funkykar : 29th January 2011 at 23:14.
Old 30th January 2011, 07:11   #326
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no end to finish the tinkering job. As the car is now used as tool box, damages will be more. I now guess 20% of work is remaining which will increase in due course.
Manish, I would strongly advice you to finish the car by personally being there. In my opinion the tinker feels that the balance 5% is not necessary or he views this as an additional job. For example this may be a rework of job which did not come out well for no fault of the tinker, in which case you need to pay more to finish it.

As funkykar has rightly pointed out on this car becoming a tool box, the damages will mount and you will end up loosing much more money.

All the best

Cheers

KPS
Old 31st January 2011, 09:06   #327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
I tend to disagree here on some points Pavan. I am restoring an elegant myself and it's not easy as you say. Let me explain

1. Money is never a problem and even if you feed the chaps with crisp minted money, the work will not be done on schedule. I will have the folks here at Hyd who are looking at my restoration vouch for this statement of mine

2. You visit them everyday and when you see the progress negligeble, what would you do? Coax / Cajole / Scold / Threaten and what not but the by product is always the same with the famous dialogue "saab kal se chaalo karonga" , "eik hafte mein katam kardoonga etc" do you have any way out of such situations

3. Every one is employed in one way or the other and travelling to one corner of the city from the other in maddening traffic only to hear the excuses by mechanics / denters / painters gets the patience out of the person who wants the car to be parked in his garage ASAP. What needs to be done in such cases?

We are not virtuso's in the area of ground up car restoration but will definitely not look up to getting the car done up 1/2 baked at any cost. May be you with a restoration experience of more than 1/2 a dozen of classics should start a generic thread on the way to go about a classic restoration and lot of us would benefit from it.

Buddy, we too are well wishers of Manish.

What progress are you talking about. 0% work in the last 60+ days, as Funkykar mentioned the car has turned to become a tool box, and you say you are happy with the progress of the work.. how funny.

Tinkering is a very tricky job, in the present scenario, there is lots of re-work awaiting this car.

Keep watching this space for Manish's outburst once he decides to move out the car.
Old 15th February 2011, 13:03   #328
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Manish. I am closely watching your thread I am restoring my Padmini.

I had been to the Radiator shop on New Airport Road. The radiator guy requested me to tell you that your Radiator is ready since 8 months. Even the lathe guy near Lalbagh has kept the engine parts of your Fiat ready. I think he finished the work six months back. His pending amount is Rs. 3,500.

I guess you are too busy with work. Let me know if I should collect the parts from all the people.
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:37   #329
Senior - BHPian

A brief Update, finally the tinkering of car is complete and the car is off for mechanical work.

Surface rust has formed in some places, we need to take care of that.

In other news got hold of the elusive Magnetic Marelli Ignition Coil, giving my Ignition system complete Italian affair.

Now the only other thing that is left unoriginal in engine bay is Fuel Pump, hope to get that one day soon.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc08393.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-mm-ig-coil1.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-mm-ig-coil2.jpg
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:42   #330

Do check the area near the Drivers side A Pillar. Also, have you checked the line up of the doors personally?

EDIT: Why do you want to use that coil BTW?? Id save them for concourse events of some kind as they reduce reliability

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks