Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 10:48   #331
BANNED

Re: MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
A brief Update, finally the tinkering of car is complete and the car is off for mechanical work.

Surface rust has formed in some places, we need to take care of that.

In other news got hold of the elusive Magnetic Marelli Ignition Coil, giving my Ignition system complete Italian affair.

Now the only other thing that is left unoriginal in engine bay is Fuel Pump, hope to get that one day soon.
I see there is lot to be done when tinkering is concerned, you have certainly overlooked the work.

I am noticing Arun1100's Premiers tinkering process very closely, the tinker is giving his best right now. Do take a look and try to attend the unseen areas of tinkering.

If that ignition coil is older than 10 years, its bound to be just a showpiece than a working one, even in your case if it works, you will still tend to have starting issues, because by this time the oil inside would have become old and the coil would have lost its freshness. Keep it for show purpose as Cyrus says

Your car is an extension of your self, dont overlook things and get carried away.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:05   #332

Pawan, you are going all tough on him!
I think it is a constant learning curve. Mistakes made once will never be forgotten and hence every time there will be a struggle to have personal improvements in terms of perfection. But yes, The car needs to be properly taken care of in terms of body work, or it will snow manish. Do remember.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:46   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Do check the area near the Drivers side A Pillar. Also, have you checked the line up of the doors personally?

EDIT: Why do you want to use that coil BTW?? Id save them for concourse events of some kind as they reduce reliability
Yes the original coil will come for special events and so will be the distributor. I have lucas make coil and distributor for daily use.

Yes the A pillar is bad at bottom on both sides cause the original lead filling from factory is wearing off, that has to be taken care off.

@ Pawan : I am happy with way the things are turning up, good or bad .

Ignition system health depends a lot on the Primary side too which no one understands. Every single drop in volts rips of 2000 -3000 volts in secondary.

A good primary will ensure healthy secondary. I do understand coil also plays a role, but its effectiveness can be checked on a test bench with an osciloscope.

Every system in a car has a test and troubleshoot method to help you out.

Last edited by manishalive : 22nd February 2011 at 11:56.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:25   #334
BANNED

Quote:
Pawan, you are going all tough on him!
I think it is a constant learning curve. Mistakes made once will never be forgotten and hence every time there will be a struggle to have personal improvements in terms of perfection. But yes, The car needs to be properly taken care of in terms of body work, or it will snow manish. Do remember.

Nothing like that Cyrus.

See, my only concern is Manish is a close buddy, he says he's having little time to attend to his car.......

What i am saying is.

Is it the right time to do a restoration if you dont have time to attend to.

If you have taken a plunge and have no hassle about the time delay, get the job done the way you want, Get that perfection. If your existing tinker did not attend to what you've said, get someone else do it.

I am only parting with whatever little experience that i've gained over the years.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:18   #335
Senior - BHPian

Manish bhai congrats on finally moving the car out of the tinker's place. I wish the mechanical work doesn't takes this much time and restoration moves quite swiftly from here.
And congrats on procuring the Original MM Coil. So this makes your car 99% original under the hood na.
Old 22nd February 2011, 13:54   #336
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manish Sir, congratulations for the completion of the most time taking, important phase of the car as Sagar said from here on the other activities (mechanical) will be faster as you have got the parts ready (Ooreeginaal stuff).

I would request you to have a through check inside out of the car because what can be corrected now may not be feisable later and apart from that it would be like sailing on two ships (juggling the car from denter to the mechanic).

I appreciate the efforts you have put in the car with whatever time you are getting. As you said you are happy with the way the car is turning out good or bad, it has to be that way. I am sure the car will turn out immaculate but it is important to check, evaluate and then proceed to the next phase. "A stich in time will save nine".

I have been watching this thread since it begun, I have got a lot of knowledge from this thread, seen lot of original stuff, there is no doubt your call will turn out original. Wish you all the very best sir.

Last edited by chanu : 22nd February 2011 at 14:02.
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:00   #337
Senior - BHPian

Minutely looking -

Fuel pump, water pump and pulley, thermostat, oil filling cap, Air duct, Air hose, Clamp for original horn, HT leads, radiator core are non originals. Else most of the parts have FIAT or their Suppliers name with Italian script on them.
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:45   #338
Senior - BHPian

Manish, I suggest you to get the mechanical work done by being present physically at the workshop. For this project, my biggest worry would be mechanical job. Not sure how good the mechanic is.. All the best.

Looking at Arun's car WIP pics, he seem to be sitting with tinker the whole day!
Old 22nd February 2011, 18:37   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Minutely looking -

Fuel pump, water pump and pulley, thermostat, oil filling cap, Air duct, Air hose, Clamp for original horn, HT leads, radiator core are non originals. Else most of the parts have FIAT or their Suppliers name with Italian script on them.
Ah. in that case maybe the originality level is near 90%. Anyways with the kind of passion and minutest details you have collected the various parts for your select i am sure this car would turn out to be a concourse.

BTW is there anybody restoring any other fiat/PP too. I am reading some posts mentioning the restoration of Arun bhai's Padmini. Can i have a link to the pics.
Old 25th February 2011, 08:42   #340
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do check the area near the Drivers side A Pillar. Also, have you checked the line up of the doors personally?
I saw the car this morning and I must say that there is some much work to be done. The A Pillar needs to be attended to. The cross member appears to be very weak etc. I doubt the door alignment will stay in the long run

Manish I would suggest you take Arun/Funkykar and review the current position of the car and make an assessment on the work and atleast do all the critical work. Finally decision on what must be done has to come from you.

There is no point fitting all the original parts if you car body is not in good shape. Any car with a half baked job can deteriorate very fast. I understand that you may have to rework your budgets but in the long run it may be still worth it.

Your call

Cheers

KPS
Old 25th February 2011, 10:07   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
I saw the car this morning and I must say that there is some much work to be done. The A Pillar needs to be attended to. The cross member appears to be very weak etc. I doubt the door alignment will stay in the long run

Manish I would suggest you take Arun/Funkykar and review the current position of the car and make an assessment on the work and atleast do all the critical work. Finally decision on what must be done has to come from you.

There is no point fitting all the original parts if you car body is not in good shape. Any car with a half baked job can deteriorate very fast. I understand that you may have to rework your budgets but in the long run it may be still worth it.

Your call

Cheers

KPS
Yes as you and many others have pointed out, there is a lot of work needs to be done. By the way which cross member do you talk about. If it is chassis then I purchased one in gook nick from Gujari, we need to weld the bumper and radiator mounts to it.

Also missing is the reinforcement plate "L" type on the floor where the chassis bolts. That also would be welded once we are fitting the new chassis.
Old 25th February 2011, 10:36   #342
Senior - BHPian

@KPS: The crack at the bottom of A Pillar appears in all Fiats. Generally they are just covered with metal paste.

Manish got a brand new chassis frame. So no issues with that. The door alignment etc have been checked and nothing to worry in that.

BTW saw your, Plymouth in the Garage. I was wondering why that tinker you assigned the job! Nevertheless, it was looking gorgeous!
Old 25th February 2011, 12:20   #343
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=funkykar;2257201
BTW saw your, Plymouth in the Garage. I was wondering why that tinker you assigned the job! Nevertheless, it was looking gorgeous![/quote]

Rahim the tinker does not mess with us and we are very comfortable with him. Has his issues but we are able manage it with some patience. His work is very good. We are largely finishing the car.

Murthy the painter has to touch up and give the final polish.

Happy you like the car. It is only when you physically see it that you can gauge it in totality.

Cheers

KPS
Old 25th February 2011, 13:39   #344
Senior - BHPian

Pic of the bottom part of Right A Pillar. Suggestions please!
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-spm_a1081.jpg

Left A Pillar bottom.
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-spm_a1083.jpg
Old 25th February 2011, 18:41   #345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
@KPS: The crack at the bottom of A Pillar appears in all Fiats. Generally they are just covered with metal paste.

!

Thats what everyone feels. The word " THATS OK" is very lethal.

Dont negelect these tiny things while restoration, Usually its filled with LEAD and not Metal Paste.

There is a procedure used to melt led and use it to bond the pillar joints, its there in almost all cars, Usually what people do is, take the easy way out. Use metal paste. Thats not done.

I've always made sure, lead is melted and applied over such areas, this not only avoids paint cracks in the future, it also cuts off the friction and strengthens such joints.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks