Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2011, 23:59   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.

Yesterday I will be assembling the engine , will use all the special tools also. [/quote]

What do you mean by that Manish? I didn't get you. Nice that you used 3M undercoat but is that the shad you get? wow!! amazing original parts, especially the FIAT nuts, great that you got them galvanized, way to go Manish! do the same with door mechanical arms also. Buffing the manifold is an good idea it gives your engine awesome look, try the same on carburetor also it's common on British bikes restoration we do here. I came across this behavior of mechanics What ever doesn't generate money or interest to the mechanics is deemed to be waste of time for them and if the same done by them, then they scream it as professionalism.

All the very best for the rest of the resto, hope this will be the beginning for an uninterrupted project ahead, may god bless you with all the missing parts.

Last edited by chanu : 10th July 2011 at 00:00.
Old 10th July 2011, 03:03   #377
Senior - BHPian

Wow Manish, wow !!
You've got some Khazaanaa there. Those headlight rings are simply gorgeous.
Slowly but surely, your car is turning out to be a real beauty. Keep up the good work buddy !
Old 10th July 2011, 06:14   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Manish, wow !!
You've got some Khazaanaa there. Those headlight rings are simply gorgeous.
Slowly but surely, your car is turning out to be a real beauty. Keep up the good work buddy !
Ravi bhai, thanks for the wishes. All this has been possible cause of all of you guys. The countless help and education that I got is transpiring my car in a beauty.
Old 10th July 2011, 11:15   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
After a long time I am updating my thread....
Hey Manish,
Its great to see the meticulous attention paid to even the tiniest of bits Here are my two cents
1. The shock absorbers which originally come from the factory are in black. Aftermarket dampers used to be in either metallic blue like you've painted it or metallic green (a shade very similar to the underbody of your car but in metallic finish).

2. The dynamo mounting brackets ( I could see the top bracket galvanized) also came in semi-gloss black from the factory.

3. Finally please try to source a breather tube from another intake manifold to replace the current one. Incase you are fitting a carburetor with an internal vent, you have an option of blocking of the breather tube.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 11th July 2011, 10:42   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
What do you mean by that Manish? I didn't get you.
I would be doing the assembly along with mechanic. I will upload more pictures. These guys didn’t knew how to torque and also what clearance to be had while assembling.

Quote:
Nice that you used 3M undercoat but is that the shad you get?
Thanks, only issue is 3m is just protection, not cure :( . I am getting rust bullet which is far more effective for the interior rust cure. Yes this is the approximate shade. However please see Almond Green in Duco’s shade car for the exact. That is what we a re painting.

Quote:
wow!! amazing original parts, especially the FIAT nuts, great that you got them galvanized, way to go Manish! do the same with door mechanical arms also. Buffing the manifold is an good idea it gives your engine awesome look, try the same on carburetor also it's common on British bikes restoration we do here.
I am getting buffed the other aluminum parts too like pulleys, housing, gearbox and steering to name a few. Also few more stuff need to go for galvanizing.

Quote:
All the very best for the rest of the resto, hope this will be the beginning for an uninterrupted project ahead, may god bless you with all the missing parts.
I did found the missing parts yesterday in scrape yard .

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
1. The shock absorbers which originally come from the factory are in black. Aftermarket dampers used to be in either metallic blue like you've painted it or metallic green (a shade very similar to the underbody of your car but in metallic finish).
Adheesh, thanks for the wishes, and for the dampers, everyone told me the same. Now we can say they are after market OEM.

Quote:
2. The dynamo mounting brackets (I could see the top bracket galvanized) also came in semi-gloss black from the factory.
Yes and there are other stuff that is galvanized too, this was to arrest rust. I think we can paint over the zinc coating.

Quote:
3. Finally please try to source a breather tube from another intake manifold to replace the current one. Incase you are fitting a carburetor with an internal vent, you have an option of blocking of the breather tube.
Yeah I need to block that with a plug as I think my carb is with internal vent.

Another modification that was carried out by previous owner an Engineer was the redirecting of crankcase fumes to the air filter. I will put pictures of my air filter. This did helped in increasing efficiency a bit.

Last edited by manishalive : 11th July 2011 at 10:44.
Old 12th July 2011, 18:42   #381
Senior - BHPian

Finally managed to get the engine assembled . I had the fiat manual by my side to check on each stage of assembly.

The first picture is the difference in mechanics cleaning, my cleaning and then buffing, results were awesome.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-slide1.jpg

The engine in assembly process

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc09257.jpg

Sunday bought me luck as i managed to find those elusive bits, now my mechanic says he has lost one push rod .

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc09259.jpg

Here are two pictures of assembled engine. Cam cover is to be painted again.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc09261.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc09262.jpg

My take on buffing the gear box.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc09268.jpg

Finally took all the components for buffing to the chrome plater

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc09267.jpg

My query- what finish do I have on the gear box,steering box, some aluminum brackets and pully's Dull finish or shiny.
Old 12th July 2011, 18:59   #382
BHPian

Manish Bhai

Great going good buffing work. Output is going to rock the bangalore roads.

Saleem
Old 12th July 2011, 19:19   #383
BANNED

Good going Manish, too much of the bling factor

Contrary to the aesthetic factor those buffed parts give the engine, it also retains heat, also they turn black over the period of time.

Have seen this process on most engines, but i might be wrong too, let me see your engine after the car is completed and running.

About the paint shop you wanted to know, its 500 meters down the road from my office at Indiranagar, Its on CMH Road- Lakshmipuram junction. Whenever you need to go there, do let me know, shall be glad to accompany and introduce you to the shop guys.

I think you should avoid Wash primer on the body at this stage since you have already completed work on the underbody. Or , your workshop guys need to be really careful in using it.
Old 12th July 2011, 20:37   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
also they turn black over the period of time.

Whenever you need to go there, do let me know, shall be glad to accompany and introduce you to the shop guys.

I think you should avoid Wash primer on the body at this stage since you have already completed work on the underbody. Or , your workshop guys need to be really careful in using it.
1.) Yes they turn black or dull, aluminium oxidizes over a period of time and eventually becomes dull. I think there is some process by which we can keep then as is. Anodizing could be one such process.

2.) Ok so will meet you at your office this weekend.

3.) Oh is it, I wanted to use etch primer cause for the better adhesion of paint. As you know there was lot of surface rust on the body. We will discuss on the paint process to when we meet.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:23   #385
BHPian

@Manish: Very professional and impressive quality of work and material being used. I must say that your professional detailing skills are a class apart. Hats off Bro.

She is going to be a very sturdy, dependable and stunning vehicle with the OH REE G NAL E T Vow factor.
President is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 11:22   #386
Senior - BHPian

My query- what finish do I have on the gear box,steering box, some aluminum brackets and pully's Dull finish or shiny.

Shiny finish will not only make engine look new at the same time will be easy to clean and the surface will not attract dust and grease like in dull finish. I agree to the opinion of PRESIDENT your approach is very professional towards the car and your patience in this project will pay multiple folds, all the very best for the rest of the project. I'm glued to this thread.

I have a question what is that tool on the engine in the first pictures where engine is getting assembled ?.

Are you planning to paint the reverse side of the bumpers, wheel caps (if steel) after chroming?
Old 13th July 2011, 11:27   #387

Quote:

Shiny finish will not only make engine look new at the same time will be easy to clean and the surface will not attract dust and grease like in dull finish. I agree to the opinion of PRESIDENT your approach is very professional towards the car and your patience in this project will pay multiple folds, all the very best for the rest of the project. I'm glued to this thread.

I have a question what is that tool on the engine in the first pictures where engine is getting assembled ?.

Are you planning to paint the reverse side of the bumpers, wheel caps (if steel) after chroming?

The Tool is called a Torque Wrench. It is to fasten the Bolts that link the Sump to the Block and the Block to the Head. Fastened in a particular order from in to out at a particular torque rating.

About the painting the reverse of the bumper, it HAS to be done. Do remember, it is a critical rust spot.
Old 13th July 2011, 12:10   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shiny finish will not only make engine look new at the same time will be easy to clean and the surface will not attract dust and grease like in dull finish.

With no responce yesterday, I have instructed for the dull finish, further originally it came like that. Any way lets see the results.

I was not going to paint the underside of those components. thanks for letting me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
About the painting the reverse of the bumper, it HAS to be done. Do remember, it is a critical rust spot.
Will the normal paint hold over chrome. And how about zinc spray, will that hold.
Old 13th July 2011, 12:12   #389

When you chrome the Bumpers, The rear will not have that good a finish as the manufacture process hampers the Chrome. So take a can of red oxide, a brush and paint the insides. Then repeat with Black paint. We have this on all our cars and have found no rust whatsoever
Cyrus43 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 15:00   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
With no responce yesterday, I have instructed for the dull finish, further originally it came like that. Any way lets see the results.

I was not going to paint the underside of those components. thanks for letting me know.

Will the normal paint hold over chrome. And how about zinc spray, will that hold.
You should paint the underside of any chrome part because that is where the enemy (rust) will prosper, good that you got to know before hand, why are we meant for Manish! Zinc primer would be a good option esp the yellow zinc, all the best.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks