Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 16:07   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
You should paint the underside of any chrome part because that is where the enemy (rust) will prosper, good that you got to know before hand, why are we meant for Manish! Zinc primer would be a good option esp the yellow zinc, all the best.
no no, not yellow zinc but Alu Zinc Spray from wurth.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-alu-zinc-spray.jpg
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 17:34   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
no no, not yellow zinc but Alu Zinc Spray from wurth.

Attachment 576481
Good will do perfectly fine, I am a old fashioned young guy who has not yet discovered all this new options as I am or been made to continue the old fashioned process, good to know these things and sure will inculcate in my future restorations, again Manish you are too good in your restoration process, you need not require best wishes as the process you do on the car itself is a good wish, all I can say is keep it up!
Old 13th July 2011, 19:55   #393
Senior - BHPian

Though a bit late here but i am speechless with the kind of progress made. The attention to detail is top notch. Really, hats off to you Manish bhai for even getting the nuts and bolts galvanized. Not many do such things. After all these are the parts which would eventually hold all those shiny and clean parts which make up a car.

I presume you are preparing MPR to be a showcar . Once completed i am sure it would be one of the most original restored Fiat in India.
Old 9th October 2011, 17:46   #394
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Update on MPR:
1. Some sketches done on the body.
2. An accessory is added to the interiors.
Attached Thumbnails
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-photo0193.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-photo0194.jpg  

Old 9th October 2011, 21:14   #395
Senior - BHPian

I am really sad to see the car like this. Have never imagined to see MPR in this state. Does Manish still owns it or has it changed hands. Curious to know as the quality of restoration and the attention to detail factor of this restoration is being ruined. How come its left to rot.

Manish bhai please update us on this.
Old 10th October 2011, 10:30   #396
BHPian

Manish,

Is this really your car? How come the long gap after you finished painting the under body? On the plus side, at least there doesn't seem to be rust on the floor and panels but I thought things were moving well after you met me in Kolkata and we discussed the car.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 10th October 2011, 12:06   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Update on MPR:
1. Some sketches done on the body.
2. An accessory is added to the interiors.
Thanks for the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I am really sad to see the car like this. Have never imagined to see MPR in this state. Does Manish still owns it or has it changed hands. Curious to know as the quality of restoration and the attention to detail factor of this restoration is being ruined. How come its left to rot.

Manish bhai please update us on this.
The car is still in my ownership. The standstill phase is on acount of me not visiting for further advice. Things can go seriously wrong if I am not physically present. I am tied up with my office work. More updates below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Manish,

Is this really your car? How come the long gap after you finished painting the under body? On the plus side, at least there doesn't seem to be rust on the floor and panels but I thought things were moving well after you met me in Kolkata and we discussed the car.

Regards
Prithvi
Yes sir this is my car. As explained I could not visit due to work load. There are two things.

1.) Have bought Rust bullet to treat the rust areas. Now since this is very costly chemical and even a drop of swear or any material will ruin the whole chemical. I need to be present. So the delay.

2.) The studds for mounting the bracket for shackles (of leaf spiring) are broken, with the tinker has welded them back. I plan to remove those and put new Fastners (bought TVS 10.9 and 8.8 grade bolts) (also spoke to Behram Dhabar). Now again to do all this with perfect alignment, my presence is required.

In the absence of correct work for the two points the whole idea of restoration will be nullified.

P.S.: I spoke to one prominent restorer, which we all three (pawan kadam, myself and arun) unanimously thought off, has agreed to take my project after this month. This will give me some peace of mind.

I also can see the genuine concern and worry from the friends and followers. Hope in coming future things will be much better.
Old 10th October 2011, 12:57   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures.

1.) Have bought Rust bullet to treat the rust areas. Now since this is very costly chemical and even a drop of swear or any material will ruin the whole chemical. I need to be present. So the delay.
Manish,

By rust bullet do you mean the chemical that converts rust to a metal phosphate, leaving a greyish white film which needs to be cleaned thoroughly before applying primer? If this is so Mr. Sircar also used this chemical for the underside of my car, though most of it was new sheets, to prevent any rust whatsoever. Yes, the chemical is relatively expensive (approx Rs.300/- per litre). It's also very difficult to find and atleast in Kolkata is available in 20 litre drums for industrial use, though I found a manufacturer who had agreed to give it to me in 5 litre jerry cans and have been buying from him.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 10th October 2011, 14:36   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Manish,

By rust bullet do you mean the chemical that converts rust to a metal phosphate, leaving a greyish white film which needs to be cleaned thoroughly before applying primer? If this is so Mr. Sircar also used this chemical for the underside of my car, though most of it was new sheets, to prevent any rust whatsoever. Yes, the chemical is relatively expensive (approx Rs.300/- per litre). It's also very difficult to find and atleast in Kolkata is available in 20 litre drums for industrial use, though I found a manufacturer who had agreed to give it to me in 5 litre jerry cans and have been buying from him.

Regards
Prithvi
A similar compound, rustolene is also a similar compound. But with this compound you need a basic cleanup before application and then once applied and done, you can use the surface as is for primer and such.

One quart is costing around 4500 rs (excluding 20% discount). This product is from US and is in the top of the game. there is a 1/2 liter (pint) pack also available.

Basically all of the rust removers have phosphoric acid as a basic constituent. Sulphuric acid is also good but a neturalization is required by wasing with normal water. The same is not required for phosphoric acid based chemicals, as per as my info goes.
Old 17th December 2011, 16:40   #400
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

Mechanical work on my car is all over. On Wednesday my car will go to Tinker for final tapping and Minor tinkering, luckilly the tinker agreed of Wednesday. Saturday I plan to give the car back to the painter for the prep and finally paint.

And If all goes well, we will have a different Garage to give the paint and finishing touch (Thanks to Arun and Pawan for the suggestion and help)

Today I managed to find original tail lamp suitable for Super Select / Delight / President. I will either exchange these with the Select ones or use these till I find the right ones.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc00447.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc00448.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc00449.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc00456.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc00458.jpg
Old 17th December 2011, 19:39   #401
Senior - BHPian

Glad to hear that all the mechanicals are sorted out at last and the car will soon head to painter's place.
Congrats on acquiring the Pair of oregeenal PA tail lights. Hope you find the correct ones soon. My best wishes are with you.
Old 21st December 2011, 21:20   #402
BHPian

Hey Manish, good to see work on your Fiat progressing.

I was following this thread closely but somehow lost touch.

Quote:
Friends,

Mechanical work on my car is all over. On Wednesday my car will go to Tinker for final tapping and Minor tinkering, luckilly the tinker agreed of Wednesday. Saturday I plan to give the car back to the painter for the prep and finally paint.

And If all goes well, we will have a different Garage to give the paint and finishing touch (Thanks to Arun and Pawan for the suggestion and help)

Today I managed to find original tail lamp suitable for Super Select / Delight / President. I will either exchange these with the Select ones or use these till I find the right ones.

Attachment 857425

Attachment 857426

Attachment 857427

Attachment 857428

Attachment 857429
Old 26th December 2011, 22:11   #403
BANNED

Quote:
Friends,

With all those OHREEGEENAL Spares i have no doubts that IF the car gets restored, it will Surely be a LOOKER

Had made a visit to the workshop and i was in for a to see the present condition of the car.

Manish, i sincerely hope you get the work done ASAP.

All the best..
Attached Thumbnails
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-imag_0977.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-imag_0978.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-imag_0979.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-imag_0980.jpg  

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-imag_0981.jpg  

Old 27th December 2011, 14:29   #404
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for taking pains and updating the thread on my behalf, this gesture was uncalled for.

Anyways, the car today has moved from the spot for sanding and a coat of primer. This is required for the tinker to analyze the surface properly and do the necessar tapping. The left over tinkering will start soon.

And I did spoke to krishna for the rest of the resto, seems like he is too busy to take my stuff. Any way let the work carry at its pace and if Krishna calls for it we will have a troublefree resto.

PS.: The millicento you told about, I thought it was of Saleems, but seems he pulled his car out of your garage. This seems another one, but as far as my knowledge goes they did not came with side trims. Please get that clarified with Fiat gurus.
Old 28th December 2011, 08:02   #405
BANNED

Spotted your Select being sprayed red oxide. Now it looks in better condition. Easy for the tinker to identify the spots to be worked upon.

All the best!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks