Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2010, 10:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

Very true. The welding of pipes with middle beam, with passage of time, gets weak and if you are not lucky enough then the mishap happens and the whole middle section bends like hell. On the other hand these jacks usually tend to fail at any given time. The used/old jack can lift itself without the car but in most cases fails to lift the approx 895Kg car. The one on my car failed in 5yrs that too after 7 uses. So its better to have a scissor jack.

Last edited by samsag12 : 11th May 2010 at 10:35.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Remember NEVER to use this jack even if it is in good condition. The jacking ports are located in the centre below the running boards, and go weak with age. You will see many cases where the running board simply collapses and causes hard to repair damage. Use a conventional scissor jack when needed.
Yes Sire, I have purchased it for the sake of originality. I am using the conventional one for actual use .
Old 12th May 2010, 00:07   #33
BHPian

hi Manish

All the best for your restoration

reminds me of my car in bhopal. it had a similar number MP04 AAXXXX

but sadly we sold it off long back but i still have a premier at bhopal and planning to get it here and get it restored.

Thanks for being an inspiration to others.

Thanks and regards

Sushil Narayanan
Old 12th May 2010, 10:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
hi Manish

All the best for your restoration

reminds me of my car in bhopal. it had a similar number MP04 AAXXXX

but sadly we sold it off long back but i still have a premier at bhopal and planning to get it here and get it restored.

Thanks for being an inspiration to others.

Thanks and regards

Sushil Narayanan
Doy you mean you had a Fiat Select? Do you have any owners manual or any parts still lying with you of that car? It will be of immence help to me.
Old 12th May 2010, 11:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Manish Bhai! Did Kannan confirm that he is taking your car soon?
Old 12th May 2010, 13:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Manish Bhai! Did Kannan confirm that he is taking your car soon?
Expect him to call by this weekend. Lets see if not plan B
Old 23rd May 2010, 20:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

Finally some hope for the Restoration of MPR to start.

To ease Manish's job of looking after the resto work, we have selected all Garages in Jayamahal itself which is a km away from my home. Karthik Makam and me are helping Manish in this project so that we too can learn a bit about restoration.

PAVAN KADAM will be the chief consultant for body work. Saar ok na?

We are leaving the car for tinkering in a garage just next to petrol bunk near Fun World. Mr. Nizam, aged 55 years, is the tinker. He had worked on my car a decade ago.

Painter is Mr. Murthy, who again painted my car a decade ago.

Chief Mechanic is Mr. Lokesh who has been maintaining my Padmini since 1995. As Manish is an Automobile Engineer, he too will closely monitor all the mechanical work.

Guys,
PLEASE pray that all goes well in the restoration of this poor Select, this time at least.

Last edited by arun1100 : 23rd May 2010 at 20:30.
Old 23rd May 2010, 21:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Manish Bhai:

Please speak clearly about the way you want the work to be done. Especially the body work. The tinker can do a lot of cost cutting to save time. Ensure that you set his goal right.

Regarding Lokesh, lets do the mechanical work only during weekends. Be free the whole day and look after all them mechanical work being done.

Murthy is a good painter. Lets consult Pavan Kadam for the exact procedure of painting.

I know a good electrician. Pavan too knows one good electrician. Thats not a problem.

Upholstery work can be done in J.C road.

Lastly, speak very clearly about the rates. Maintain one book and update the payment in front of them.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th June 2010 at 18:26. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks
Old 23rd May 2010, 22:25   #39
BHPian

Good going Manish. Just one piece of advise. Before dealing with any aesthetic aspect of the car, get the mechanicals sorted out. The car should be free of 4C noises.( ie. Chick Chick-Chak Chak) Try to achieve the maximum possible mechanical reliability so as if required the car can start in half a self and do a 100km run even without any prior preparation. Believe me, all this is easily possible especially with a Fiat. Electricals can be dealt with after the paint job. I guess the car would get a completely new wiring harness. (We would discuss that in detail at a later stage)

The reason for this post is that it is indeed very bad to see a mechanic mucked up in grease working on a freshly painted car, solving some mechanical issue. The freshness and the crispness of the car is lost totally. 99 % of the people dont follow this. The cars of the rest 1% are in a different league all together.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 23rd May 2010, 22:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Adheesh: You mean to do the mechanicals completely first before starting the body work?

We plan to remove the engine first. Then give the car for body work. Meanwhile get the engine done up.

Finish the mechanicals once the body is ready for painting.
Old 24th May 2010, 00:49   #41
Senior - BHPian

I am Bala appointing myself as a religious follower for this thread. Ok va? My duty is to stick to this thread so I can learn many things remotely (ekalavya in Mahabarat).
Old 24th May 2010, 10:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Manish Bhai:

Please speak clearly about the way you want the work to be done. Especially the body work. The tinker can do a lot of cost cutting to save time. Ensure that you set his goal right.

Regarding Lokesh, lets do the mechanical work only during weekends. Be free the whole day and look after all them mechanical work being done.

Murthy is a good painter. Lets consult Pavan Kadam for the exact procedure of painting.

I know a good electrician. Pavan too knows one good electrician. Thats not a problem.

Upholstery work can be done in J.C road.
Arun,

All your three posts are very valuable and the kind of support that the tribe is giving is awesome. I will follow your suggestion to the "T".

And even though I am from the Field, my experties or nature of work is in different domain. Hope you speak to Murthy today for paint removing.

@ Adheesh: yes, I am in same page with you . Now required is the Workshop manual, can you oblidge. How about a xerox.

For the mechanical components. Almost all will be changed except the Iron. This will give us piece of mind from any bearing, bush or seal failure after the resto.

Thinking of investing on a small sand blasting gun and a sanding machine.

I will also be powder coating most of the iron.

@ Shyam and Pawan: Need your input on Paint removers and how to clean the metal so that tinker can work on it.

@ Bala: Thanks for the kind gesture. I hope you will like my thread.

@ All: With this kind of setup, I am at liberty to implement the best procedures and good suggestion from our members. And that was not possible with earlier senior mechanics out of respect to them.

Last edited by manishalive : 24th May 2010 at 10:29.
Old 25th May 2010, 00:10   #43
Senior - BHPian

I'm Lovin it!

As said in McDonald ad "I'm Lovin it" & throughly going to enjoy this thread, its a right thing to happen at this time (Appu's arrival) for me.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:48   #44
BHPian

Hi Manish Bhai,

All the best for your project hope this comes out fast. Also willing to join ur restoration project which will give a brief idea about restoring. Please let me know when you visit Jaymahal area its a 10 min drive for me.

Regards,
Saleem
Old 25th May 2010, 18:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle_boy View Post
Hi Manish Bhai,

All the best for your project hope this comes out fast. Also willing to join ur restoration project which will give a brief idea about restoring. Please let me know when you visit Jaymahal area its a 10 min drive for me.

Regards,
Saleem
Welcome abroad the restoration flight, it's a pleasure to have Mr. Sameer on Board. I will be back by friday, will contact you then.

Most Viewed