Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2010, 10:32   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Well you know you can count me in for such experiments
Great, that gives me a good reason to leave early from office with the measuring tape / calipers and the humble CAD. Need to speak to the mould fellow, we knew a lot of them in Pune to get the job done in jiffy .
Old 4th June 2010, 15:38   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post

Thanks for the kind words
Most welcome sir.

Quote:

The condition is not known to me, only thing we had difficulty loading the car on the truck, might be clutch plate too. So to ascertain that we do a compression test, if it turns out to be healthy, we know not to open the engine.
Quote:

There are lot of powder coating service providers in and around Bangalore. Powder coating will give longevity to my components mainly chassis / running gear. Now please tell me the negatives of the same I am eager to learn.
Powder coating is a very dicey thing. Now in this you have to do a cleaning process before you get it done. Since in places like Bangalore and Chennai the cars have a tendency to have lots of corrosion. So in this process there is a coating done on the metal by charging the metals and the compounds that is to be applied. Now as i said there are very high chances of corrosion in the south so if there is corrosion happening under this powder coated layer, happens in 90% cases. Now once there is corrosion under this layer the metal is actually getting corroded and becomeing week. Since there is the powder coated layer and we cannot see the corrosion happening and one fine day while you are driving this car your components may just break into 2 pieces . So as i said its a risk you would be takeing. My advice to you is not to go in for this kind of thing since i suppose the car is going to be used on a reguler basis.

Quote:

Yes that’s what everyone is telling, we will only tap the unevenness out. The floor is full gone, we will replace that with fresh panels.
Yes thats a great idea. Please do some anti corrosive treatment on the running boards if not the whole flooring.

Quote:
Would like to know more on sand blasting and of any service providers in Bangalore for my car.
I don't think your car has that much corrosion that you need to get sand blasting done.Your main area of corrosion is the floor board area. If we change them and then that should solve the purpose. I would say its not needed for this car.The body lines are very clean and this would be an expense which is not required. You could instead use that money to do something else on the car ?
Old 4th June 2010, 20:02   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Well you know you can count me in for such experiments
Do Elegants come with these as well
Old 4th June 2010, 22:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everyone. I intend to reverse engineer the Plastic tray as it came on Early fiats (1954-60). After making a production drawing, I will give it to a mould guy to make a mould and the part. Overall excersise will cost me 2.5 to 3 k (it is the mould which will cost more, subsequent parts will be cheap). If any one interested please let me, it will bring down the cost.

Attachment 359051
I'm interested manish, please do let me know.

By the way, my compliments - this thread and your resto is really moving well - keep it up, buddy
Old 4th June 2010, 23:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

[quote=IndrojitSircar;1921019] Most welcome sir.

Quote:
Powder coating is a very dicey thing.
Yes I know of this fact about Powder coating, Bangalore weather is non condusive to rusting, its Chennai, the amount of rust seen is due to neglect by previous owner. I will keep your words in mind. Powder coating will give a fine and lasting finish if done properly like on chassis, propeller shaft, suspension arms, differential and like.

Quote:
Yes thats a great idea. Please do some anti corrosive treatment on the running boards if not the whole flooring.
As of now redoxide has been applied from Monday the tinkering will start. What do you suggest more for anti corrosive treatment.

Quote:
I don't think your car has that much corrosion that you need to get sand blasting done.Your main area of corrosion is the floor board area. If we change them and then that should solve the purpose. I would say its not needed for this car.The body lines are very clean and this would be an expense which is not required. You could instead use that money to do something else on the car ?
Well there are lot of areas where surface rust is present and the paint removing process have not done justice to it. Either we should sand it using a electric sander or use sand blasting. But then you (and others) have more experience than me .

My tinker assured me that he will take care of every aspect.

@ Shiva: I am not sure about that.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06535.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06537.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06541.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06542.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06543.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06545.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06546.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06547.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06549.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06552.jpg
Old 4th June 2010, 23:45   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes I know of this fact about Powder coating, Bangalore weather is non condusive to rusting, its Chennai, the amount of rust seen is due to neglect by previous owner. I will keep your words in mind. Powder coating will give a fine and lasting finish if done properly like on chassis, propeller shaft, suspension arms, differential and like.
Its not only to do with the weather of chennai or bangalore but also with of the parts you want to do it on. If there is corrosion and you do anti corrosive treatment there are still chance of corrosion with powder coating. The only difference is if you powder coat it you won't know the real picture happening under the powder coated layer. So best avoided in this case but we could give it a second thought after we see some pics of the items you want to.I can advice better after looking at the condition.

Quote:

As of now redoxide has been applied from Monday the tinkering will start. What do you suggest more for anti corrosive treatment.
You get this done and then i will tell you.Before you paint the car finally.

Quote:
Well there are lot of areas where surface rust is present and the paint removing process has not done justice to it. Either we should sand it using a electric sander or use sand blasting. But then you (and others) have more experience than me .
I think its not required. How is your painter scrapeing the paint down?

Quote:
My tinker assured me that he will take care of every aspect.
The first aspect he needs to take care of is to remove the bumpers which ideally should have been done when they were stripping down the car.

Best of luck sir
Old 5th June 2010, 08:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

[quote=IndrojitSircar;1921729]
Quote:
but we could give it a second thought after we see some pics of the items you want to.I can advice better after looking at the condition.
He he, you spoke of the the thought that was in my mind.

Quote:
You get this done and then i will tell you.Before you paint the car finally.
Will wait for your advise.

Quote:
I think its not required. How is your painter scrapeing the paint down?
My painter used chisel, emery and paint remover to do the job, but not upto my expectation.

Quote:
The first aspect he needs to take care of is to remove the bumpers which ideally should have been done when they were stripping down the car.
Yes will remove them tomorrow, the rear ones will be discarded as they are not original.

Quote:
Best of luck sir
Thanks for the wishes.
Old 5th June 2010, 21:50   #83
BHPian

hi manish i advice you to do the antirust after finishing the tinkering get the whole under coat done and inside the four doors and ofcourse the engine bay and boot use WURTH its supposed to be the best dont go for any american product its useless
Old 6th June 2010, 22:07   #84
BANNED

Update:
Today Manish and me finally zeroed in on the tinker. Tinkering work will start tomorrow.
Old 7th June 2010, 15:10   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatMyLife View Post
Update:
Today Manish and me finally zeroed in on the tinker. Tinkering work will start tomorrow.

Cool so can we see some pic of the work in action ? Apart from that has the engine been taken off ?
Old 7th June 2010, 15:53   #86
Senior - BHPian

Saw the car at the tinker yesterday. Shop was closed. Seems like good work on the paint removal process and red oxiding it. Doors seem in so good shape.

Did you do the compression tests yet on the engine?
Old 7th June 2010, 17:34   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperial.s.a View Post
hi manish i advice you to do the antirust after finishing the tinkering get the whole under coat done and inside the four doors and ofcourse the engine bay and boot use WURTH its supposed to be the best dont go for any american product its useless
Thanks for the advice sharif bhai, I was about to ask for the same. Is this a black color chemical and similar to chassis black or pitch black which is often used for the underbelly (the cars bottom). i was thinking of spraying the body color on the inside of engine bay and boot to look one part.

Can we spray the (apple green or leaf green) body color over the wruth treatment.

Also what about yellow zinc primer (the one that shyam has used in his herald restoration). should I use that before wruth treatment. I may be sounding dumb but knowledge seeking is always good.

@ All, tinker seems to be very knowledgable, for the floor her will kind of spot weld the new ones (as was the finish from the factory). the welding rod will not be brass but alloy (of copper and steel) (not sure of what he meant and he being tinker and not a metallurgist .

Secondly for the boot since new panels are hard to get he is getting replacement boot floor and wheel wells straigt away from a car being scrapped in scrap yard. How he welds is I am eager to know.

He will also be using solder in areas where he cannot reach and do metal straightening as we have advised him agains using metal paste. there would be very few areas, but is this a good option only the tinker or God knows, keeping my finger crossed. Too much of interference may also spoil the job.

Further with the kindness of pawan Kadam, i was able to get the very ellusive air box under the dash board for my car. Many thanks pawan for the kind help. Arun can you put the picture of the same.

@ ravi Bhai: I will sure count you, Bye the way that tray was never offered in the Super Selects.
Old 7th June 2010, 17:36   #88
Senior - BHPian

Hi Manish I had a chance to observe the pics at length, it appears the car may have had quite some body work done in its previous ownerships. Especially the rear fenders. Is that right? You should be able to tell from the inside of the panel.
Old 7th June 2010, 17:48   #89
BANNED

Why is the interior portion left untouched with red-oxide ? I see some penetrated rusts there !!
Old 8th June 2010, 09:56   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manish I had a chance to observe the pics at length, it appears the car may have had quite some body work done in its previous ownerships. Especially the rear fenders. Is that right? You should be able to tell from the inside of the panel.
Yes yes you are right, and that we were able to know after scrapping down all the paint. the rear door has also been worked upon as well as all the door bottoms. And My tinker is extremely confident of bringing back the smooth surface . I have to believe him.

Most Viewed