Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2010, 10:53   #181
Senior - BHPian

1. Rates in Bangalore are a bit cheaper. But whatever are the rates, the gamble will also cost more or less the same if I loose.
2. I will follow the specifications from the manual.
3. Head has corroded and for that welding is required.
4. I have the magnetic marelli distributor with original Facet Italy points.
5. I still have the original API brake system and as of now it will remain. It is working fine.
6. Sadly I do not have the tar top battery.
This car will not be my daily driver, more of a showpiece, so I am keeping things original. Form over Functionality.

Last edited by manishalive : 3rd July 2010 at 11:05.
Old 3rd July 2010, 11:24   #182
Senior - BHPian

Manish can you post some pics of your wheel cylinders? I think if I am not mistaken they should be Lockheed on a Select. My Elegant still has the Lockheed ones, The API wheel cylinder kits are a poor match and keep leaking, make sure you sleeve the inside of the cylinders and bore them to the precise API rubber kit sizes. I did this and touchwood no problems for the past year, drove the car to Pune a few days ago and it brakes like new.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:31   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Manish can you post some pics of your wheel cylinders? I think if I am not mistaken they should be Lockheed on a Select. My Elegant still has the Lockheed ones, The API wheel cylinder kits are a poor match and keep leaking, make sure you sleeve the inside of the cylinders and bore them to the precise API rubber kit sizes. I did this and touchwood no problems for the past year, drove the car to Pune a few days ago and it brakes like new.
I will do it as soon as possible, once the car comes back for mechanical work. Now sleeving the insides, never heard of them. By the way complete wheel cylinders itself were available, need to check today.
Old 4th July 2010, 15:14   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
I will do it as soon as possible, once the car comes back for mechanical work. Now sleeving the insides, never heard of them. By the way complete wheel cylinders itself were available, need to check today.
Yes API ones are available but not the Lockheed ones, so if you have API ones you can just replace them, but the API ones cannot be fitted in place of the Lockheed you shall have to make Modifications.
Old 4th July 2010, 15:56   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes API ones are available but not the Lockheed ones, so if you have API ones you can just replace them, but the API ones cannot be fitted in place of the Lockheed you shall have to make Modifications.
Oh, I was not having this Info, I will look into it. If they are lockheed ones, I will recondition and use them.

Today has been a lucky day for me.

1. I got original sets of key fresh as they came from factory, I might need then to modify to work for my locks.

2. My car has the original firewall insulation and also has the original mesh to filter incoming fresh air. How ever what I had overlooked is the Original Fuse box was there at its original location and is fixed the way it came from factory, kind of riveted. I am luck to have even that original.

I am unable to download pictures from my camera , I need to bring a card reader and post them.
Old 4th July 2010, 20:08   #186
Senior - BHPian

Her are the pictures of Work in progress tinkering of my car, the location of the original fuse box (the insulation on the firewall is original too). The fues box and the unused keys that I found today.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc01642.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc01634.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc01638.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06816.jpg
Old 4th July 2010, 21:32   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure on this? I would assume API was OE, and Lockheed system was the design of components in colloquial mechanic speak (Lockheed system or Girling System, Girling being TVS).

The issue with API is sourcing of components. Most of the API stuff available today is duplicate, even though the packing looks very convincing. I have had bad experiences with brakes as well as clutch. I would still strongly recommend a switch over to Girling for piece of mind. There is nothing different visible so no problem of originality - not even after you remove the wheel. The drum remains the same. Even the cylinders itself look so similar. Do consider it - its a real head ache to constantly open and set and change washers on this system. As Rony always says, after restoration a wheel once fitted should never be opened - not even the wheelcap.

Quote:
Today has been a lucky day for me.

1. I got original sets of key fresh as they came from factory, I might need then to modify to work for my locks.
Good find. The door/dicky/petrol key is correct, but the ignition key is from a Super Select. Ravi has a similar case, maybe you'll can exchange
Old 4th July 2010, 21:59   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Good find. The door/dicky/petrol key is correct, but the ignition key is from a Super Select. Ravi has a similar case, maybe you'll can exchange
I got two ignition keys 1. original fiat 2. repro Jay (oval shaped). I think the oval shape is for the select and the other one (oval being cut on sides) came on super selects and delights.

And exchange the keys for?
Old 4th July 2010, 22:07   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I got two ignition keys 1. original fiat 2. repro Jay (oval shaped). I think the oval shape is for the select and the other one (oval being cut on sides) came on super selects and delights.

And exchange the keys for?
The Jay keys you pictured were OE on Padminis right from the 70s, and is hard to find in its own right. Yes, Selects had oval heads and Super Select had the sides cut off. Ravi recently found a Select key and drives a Super Select. You found a Super Select key and drive a Select. Get my drift?
Old 4th July 2010, 23:14   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Jay keys you pictured were OE on Padminis right from the 70s, and is hard to find in its own right. Yes, Selects had oval heads and Super Select had the sides cut off. Ravi recently found a Select key and drives a Super Select. You found a Super Select key and drive a Select. Get my drift?
Oh I could not resist to post, I am a senior now. the journey had been supendous. and coming to the topic, Ravi has the super select keys and that is the reason I could not get your drift. here is a picture from his thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...begins-24.html

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dscf131520desktop20resolution.jpg
Old 4th July 2010, 23:24   #191
BHPian

Quote:
I second Karl. Last year we purchased API clutch and pressure plates which had their MFD date stamped 2-3months prior to the purchase. I installed one of the set in my white car and the clutch never performed as desired. Mostly these are all low quality fakes which are being circulated in the market.

If you do find new ones, they would be old enough for their rubber components to be practically unusable.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 9th July 2010, 21:59   #192
BANNED

HI

last week i saw a fiat elegant in a very bad shape lying in a parking.

I really felt pity and i dont know what was wrong with the owner

Either he should have sold it if he cannot maintain it or shouldn take care of it.But the awful looking car was covered with plastic sheets.

I guess anyof you should approach the owner and buy it,use it as a loner car to take some spares
Old 9th July 2010, 22:28   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
I guess anyof you should approach the owner and buy it,use it as a loner car to take some spares
I guess you mean DONOR car.

Any pics. of this car btw? Where in Madras is it?
Old 11th July 2010, 00:36   #194
Senior - BHPian

Time for some update, the floring is complete, now remains the dicky, the from and rear and then after body tapping and then after once again doors and then lot's of loose ends .

But then evey one on the forum and off it say it is going great, I should be happy. May be I should stop worrying. And then I am going to buy a seam sealer this a rubbery kind of material applied over the seams (which are prone to rust), is very hard, good for painting and prevents rust. I m attaching a sample picture (applied on a car body)

I need to find out where it is available, Bangy boys if you know please tell me. 3M sure makes it.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06825.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06826.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06827.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06828.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc06829.jpg

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-miniseamsealing.jpg

On the other note Gave the Radiator for repair, and by the look of it at the end I might be spending more than what I had in mind.
Old 11th July 2010, 07:25   #195
Senior - BHPian

@Manish: Yeah, the tinker is doing not so good job. Why don't you leave it at Saleem's garage? I am sure your car will come out stunning from there. I am warning now itself that the mechanic is also not good. Change now before you start cribbing again. Sadly, same with the painter too. You better consult Pavan Anna and leave your car somewhere else.

Most Viewed