Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2010, 11:39   #196
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
@Manish: Yeah, the tinker is doing not so good job. Why don't you leave it at Saleem's garage? I am sure your car will come out stunning from there. I am warning now itself that the mechanic is also not good. Change now before you start cribbing again. Sadly, same with the painter too. You better consult Pavan Anna and leave your car somewhere else.
I feel the tinker has done a good job, He's a bit slow, but OK.

Once he finishes his bodywork, lets take stock of the situation later.

Right now, things are in the right direction, its only that last stages of finishing you guys need to guide the tinker on how and what you guys are looking for.

Dont take any hasty decision right now.

The paint / joint sealant has to be put once you finish complete tinkering and just before the painting process starts, dont hurry things, i will tell you when you need to do this.

And as per the Radiator overhauling and its cost, dont worry, this guy is known to me since last 8 yrs, He's really good at what he does, uses qauality materials. You will see the difference once you get your Radiator back.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 11th July 2010 at 11:41.
Old 11th July 2010, 11:39   #197
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
And then I am going to buy a seam sealer this a rubbery kind of material applied over the seams (which are prone to rust), is very hard, good for painting and prevents rust. I m attaching a sample picture (applied on a car body)

I need to find out where it is available, Bangy boys if you know please tell me. 3M sure makes it.
If it is available from 3M in Bangalore, I too need it

Nice work, manish! Car will turn out just fine, I'm sure. Dont worry!
Old 11th July 2010, 13:23   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
If it is available from 3M in Bangalore, I too need it

Nice work, manish! Car will turn out just fine, I'm sure. Dont worry!
Thanks for the kind words, have boosted my morale, except me every one says your car is coming good, let's keep the fingers crossed.

Today was day of hunting of a donar engine with no luck. A delight engine came to gujari but is worser than mine . Now made up my mind looking only for a crankshaft new or old.

As for the 3M body sealer, I am also looking, if I get it will have one for you too.
Old 11th July 2010, 15:05   #199
BANNED

Quote:
I guess you mean DONOR car.

Any pics. of this car btw? Where in Madras is it?

Sorry about the mistake Stanher.The car was in CIT Nagar near saidapet.

If you are really interested i will let you know the exact location in GMaps.

There is also a vintage FIAT (Fiat Perfect i guess ,my dad told me) near my house at adyar.But it is in better condition than the Elegant

Last edited by joshguy : 11th July 2010 at 15:07.
Old 11th July 2010, 15:22   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
There is also a vintage FIAT (Fiat Perfect i guess ,my dad told me) near my house at adyar.But it is in better condition than the Elegant
There is no vintage model in Fiat called "Perfect" AFAIK. Incidentally, nothing is perfect!
But anyways, the pics. would help us tell what model exactly it is.
Old 11th July 2010, 15:26   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Manish - please do what I am instructing here - as most of the stress bearing internal floor panels / dash panels / running boards get changed in the process of restoration and as almost all jobs are carried out by garages, without meaning to undermine anybody's capability, I know that these guys try to skimp and save on the amount of welding that they do after they replace the panels. As these are all one off jobs, there is really no need to standardize and therefore the cardinal rule should be that "more welding is better and full welding is the best". Therefore, please get all joints seam welded by your welder. When you tell him to do so, he will have 2 arguments. One is that its not required and second is that you don't know what you are talking about. Please persist and get it done. Once the car gets painted, its too late. Not doing this may lead to squeaks and rattles as panels will rub against each other. As we intend to keep our restored cars for ever, its required to do it once and finish it off. I do not have photographs of my 1967 delight MRF6466 during its restoration but it took me a full week of convincing with mental agony to get my guy to do it exactly the way I wanted it done. It also took one week to complete all such welding work. As his welding rods will get consumed, he will become very angry at you but if you want the end result to be a delight to see, its all part of the restoration process and worth the agony.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 11th July 2010, 15:40   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Manish - please do what I am instructing here - Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Yes sir, thanks for the caution, I will do as instructed. I will force upon my denter. And I had been waiting for your expert commets.
Old 11th July 2010, 15:42   #203
Senior - BHPian

@B.D Sir: This advice of yours comes at the right time. Wish you had told this before. Amateurs like few of us wouldn't really know about these welding facts.
Old 11th July 2010, 18:05   #204
BANNED

Quote:
There is no vintage model in Fiat called "Perfect" AFAIK. Incidentally, nothing is perfect!
But anyways, the pics. would help us tell what model exactly it is.
Oh Sorry that was ford perfect ,this is due to the FIAT fever you see !

Will get the photos of both the cars soon, and i got a foto from Google and the looks like the one below
Attached Thumbnails
MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-ford-perfect.jpg  

Old 11th July 2010, 19:24   #205
BHPian

Quote:

Will get the photos of both the cars soon, and i got a foto from Google and the looks like the one below
I think it is Ford Prefect.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 11th July 2010, 19:53   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What a nice car thanks for posting, this is the kind of shade (not exactly) I am looking to paint my car.

Originally my car came in SURF Blue (ravi, shiva and shyam). But then Home minister is hell bent on this color. This goes well with the original upholstry shade and more over is not flashy, giving her a more period look.

I have a picture of one of the Ford pickup (Amol picture for you as discussed), this is the exact shade I will have on my car and also I believe was offered on Fiats.

MPR 4142, 1959 Fiat 103D Select Restoration.-dsc00611.jpg

Last edited by manishalive : 11th July 2010 at 19:54.
Old 11th July 2010, 19:59   #207
Senior - BHPian

Nice green, Manish !! I think your car will look fabulous in this colour.
Just take care to colour-co ordinate the details. I can just picturize her in my mind !!
Old 11th July 2010, 20:08   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Nice green, Manish !! I think your car will look fabulous in this colour.
Just take care to colour-co ordinate the details. I can just picturize her in my mind !!
Ravi bhau, by color coordinate do you mean the wheels or some thing else? I am looking for silver wheels the way they came.

@ Pawan: I missed your post. Ok, let him continue with his work. Hope things will be alright.

@ Arun: I tried calling tinker but no response, I you can manage to meet him tomorrow, tell him not to apply any polyster putty any where, save it for last, as I want to give him the body sealer.
Old 11th July 2010, 21:20   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ravi bhau, by color coordinate do you mean the wheels or some thing else? I am looking for silver wheels the way they came..
He he.. very tempting no ? - cream wheels would look superbly period on the green colour. But that would compromise on originality. What upholstery / door pads / roof lining shades are you looking at ? Any nice contrasting shades ?
Old 11th July 2010, 22:27   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
I think it is Ford Prefect.
Adeesh is correct, it is Ford Prefect. It struck me that you might've been referring to this car.
Anyways, interesting to know. My father had one too, black in colour, way back in the 70s...sold before I was born. It was subsequently scrapped.
Anyways, apologies to manish for going

Quote:
What a nice car thanks for posting, this is the kind of shade (not exactly) I am looking to paint my car.

Originally my car came in SURF Blue (ravi, shiva and shyam). But then Home minister is hell bent on this color. This goes well with the original upholstry shade and more over is not flashy, giving her a more period look.

I have a picture of one of the Ford pickup (Amol picture for you as discussed), this is the exact shade I will have on my car and also I believe was offered on Fiats.
Also a nice shade, manish. Gogi seems to have gone for a similar shade on his millecento?

Shouldnt the original upholstery be in red in that case, for green car?

Last edited by Stanher : 11th July 2010 at 22:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks