Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 18:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

WOW, polly I like the the way you are doing up your Landy, full nut and bolt restoration. I intend to do the same for my Car.
Old 16th December 2009, 18:41   #47
BHPian

Sir, the photographic and written record of your work continues to impress.
Keep at it!
Old 18th December 2009, 21:01   #48
BHPian

Hey thanx for the kind words guys
Not much going on right now but for behind the curtains stuff, we ve put the panels back just to check alignment and 'body line' weld new panels for the windows and check fitting, same for the rear tub which had some crazy accident damage hidden by tons of putty. the body being aluminium sheet held out by jury struts warps very easily when not held in place by all the nuts and bolts. surprisingly not a single panel of the body is welded, its all bolted to the chassis or to each other!!!!
Iam really torn between the original blue grey and a newer more typical dark green as a colour?? what say guys??? heres how the original colour looked like !!
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9104.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9107.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9106.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9109.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_8389.jpg  

Old 18th December 2009, 22:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Polly sir, this machine is shaping up to look pretty, excellent work being done in regards to the body, I believe the grey blue behind the data plate seems to be original why not that for her somewhat like the picture below, anyways you are the best judge to decide upon what suits better for her.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-1964landroverbluefalr.jpg  

Old 19th December 2009, 08:01   #50
BHPian

Thanx Chanu WOW where did you get that pic?? It so dramatically brings out the no frills simple beauty of the series 2A. The added advantage of my vehicle is that it has the tail gate which then allows it to sport the soft top tilt as seen in the pic. Again, iam trying to build it through pics and stuff (wonder how many SWB tail gaters are available in India). Heres a pic of the dark green i like with the lime stone top. But then almost all the series vehicles in India are that colour (well actually a lighter Bronze green), except for the Pista green station wagon series 3 that Abhishek D Zulu found at Mayapuri!!
Friend of mine looking for switches and bushes in Singapore found Delhi made ones being sold for Rs 1300?- ! when they cost Rs 35/- here ! Got him to hurry out of that shop pretty quick Well thats the pilgrim's progress so far.
Polly
PS: why do you guys keep calling me sir ????
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-bruce1.jpg  

Old 19th December 2009, 23:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Bull rod/Bumper

SEXXY looking rover. So what colour have you decided sir?
Idea! how about the bumber/bull rod for your babe?
Old 20th December 2009, 09:56   #52
BHPian

the colour is going to be a surprise!! today we re furbished the the brake and clutch master cylinder assemblies and the pedals. Then we re built some o the undercarriage panels that had split, the Birmabright aluminium alloy used is not very amenable to welding, it warps easily hence riveting is easier, more aesthetic and if you use flush rivets will not be seen!!
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9112.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9113.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9114.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9115.jpg  

Old 31st December 2009, 09:10   #53
BHPian

Hey Polly,

Great to see the progress made on your Series IIA. When will you have it up & running?

I am finishing the work on my Series 1 Land Rover hopefully in the next week. Will post a few pictures of it today in my post. You can have a look. Have also started to get work started on my Series III- so that's up next.

Keep us posted how things progress.

Take care,
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
the colour is going to be a surprise!! today we re furbished the the brake and clutch master cylinder assemblies and the pedals. Then we re built some o the undercarriage panels that had split, the Birmabright aluminium alloy used is not very amenable to welding, it warps easily hence riveting is easier, more aesthetic and if you use flush rivets will not be seen!!
Polly
Old 31st December 2009, 11:36   #54
Team-BHP Support

I like the original color it really goes well with the vehicles overall looks. Just realized i havent voted for the thread 5 stars indeed
Old 31st December 2009, 16:37   #55
BHPian

Green, Polly sir. I've attached two photos. If you look carefully, you'll see green Land Rovers in both, that are rather impressive!
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-dagmarmario2986pf.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-170371411_cd547a9a51.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2010, 00:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_d_zulu View Post
Hey Polly,

Great to see the progress made on your Series IIA. When will you have it up & running?

I am finishing the work on my Series 1 Land Rover hopefully in the next week. Will post a few pictures of it today in my post. You can have a look. Have also started to get work started on my Series III- so that's up next.

Keep us posted how things progress.

Take care,
Abhishek
Wow Abhishek that was quick !!!! gr8 looking Landy there!! am amazed at the speed must say
cheers
Polly
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:12   #57
BHPian

well got the windows going, re built the lower fascias, Pedals, air filter and diesel tank cleaned and primed. Scratched together a linkage and bell crank assembly for the transmission brake usimg a Puegeot Clutch cable (mine was AWOL). Then we tried fixing some old Ford seats to the seat box. Finally decided to go for modern seats for safety reasons with head rest etc. also fabricated a system where the seat anchor rails tuck into a hoop in the front and is bolted down at the back (with a hand tightenable knob) so that you can quickly unbolt the back, tilt the seat forward and unhook it from the hoops in front and access the tool box or cuby under the left/centre seat as seen in the pic (also fabricated to fit just over the gear box). tried a dark shade of green on the bulkhead as well. Also pasted a one inch thick high density rubber sheet faced with aluminium foil on the bulkhead and foot wells. this will also go under the gear box tunnel and tool box to keep the heat/noise/vibrations out. Will also use it in the doors and roof.

since ive decided to upholster the roof, ive welded thin sheets of MS and nuts to the side wall and upper windshield frame that bolt to the roof. this will allow me to unscrew the bolts from inside without having to spanner the nut from the other side (since i wont have access once the upholstery is in place). ive done the same for the outer safari roof fixings.

i know the modern seats and aluminium foil must be bringing up the bile for many of you puritans but this is an absolute must as ambient temperatures in summer can go to 45 deg C here. believe me its taken much thought and soul searching for me. Heres some pics of the dry runs with the seats, le me know how they look, will finally do them in black leather. Only prob is they bring me up and forward and quite close to the steering wheel. What are the
options ??

Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9268.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9277.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9278.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9282.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9349.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9352.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9359.jpg  

Last edited by Polly Singh : 2nd January 2010 at 00:16. Reason: content
Old 2nd January 2010, 00:50   #58
BHPian

Its great to see the progress, Polly... the thought around covering the bulkhead etc in rubber mats make complete sense. I have also asked for the same insulation for my vehicle as well, though the thickness of the material is seemingly less. Will get it upgraded.

The reduction is seating space due to replacement of original seats with bucket seat is definitely an issue. Since I couldn't possibly fit with my 6 ft frame, I decided to keep the original seats. Guess it also helps retain the original look & feel of the vehicle...

Some other questions:
  • Will you be putting an AC in the vehilcle? If yes, I could learn from your experience
  • What about an overdrive? Considered that?
  • What tyres are you planning to put?
  • Have you decided the color- finally? Or will you keep that a suspense?
  • What about back seats? Bucket facing seats in the back, or bench seats?
  • Any plans to put freewheeling hubs, or a winch in the vehicle?
  • Did you manage to find the right set of documents for this vehicle?
  • Any parts you are falling short of, still? Need any help?
Will look forward to hearing more from you...

Thanks,
Abhishek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Singh View Post
well got the windows going, re built the lower fascias, Pedals, air filter and diesel tank cleaned and primed. Scratched together a linkage and bell crank assembly for the transmission brake usimg a Puegeot Clutch cable (mine was AWOL). Then we tried fixing some old Ford seats to the seat box. Finally decided to go for modern seats for safety reasons with head rest etc. also fabricated a system where the seat anchor rails tuck into a hoop in the front and is bolted down at the back (with a hand tightenable knob) so that you can quickly unbolt the back, tilt the seat forward and unhook it from the hoops in front and access the tool box or cuby under the left/centre seat as seen in the pic (also fabricated to fit just over the gear box). tried a dark shade of green on the bulkhead as well. Also pasted a one inch thick high density rubber sheet faced with aluminium foil on the bulkhead and foot wells. this will also go under the gear box tunnel and tool box to keep the heat/noise/vibrations out. Will also use it in the doors and roof.

since ive decided to upholster the roof, ive welded thin sheets of MS and nuts to the side wall and upper windshield frame that bolt to the roof. this will allow me to unscrew the bolts from inside without having to spanner the nut from the other side (since i wont have access once the upholstery is in place). ive done the same for the outer safari roof fixings.

i know the modern seats and aluminium foil must be bringing up the bile for many of you puritans but this is an absolute must as ambient temperatures in summer can go to 45 deg C here. believe me its taken much thought and soul searching for me. Heres some pics of the dry runs with the seats, le me know how they look, will finally do them in black leather. Only prob is they bring me up and forward and quite close to the steering wheel. What are the
options ??

Polly
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:01   #59
BHPian

Dear Abhi dont mind the point wise answers[*]Will you be putting an AC in the vehilcle? If yes, I could learn from your experience. NOPE, CROSSED MY BUDGET AND THE LANDY IS TOO LEAKY TO EFFECTIVELY COOL[*]What about an overdrive? Considered that? DONT HAVE ONE[*]What tyres are you planning to put?HAVE PUT GOODYEAR 16' ONES GIVEN FREE AND NEW BY PO[*]Have you decided the color- finally? Or will you keep that a suspense? WELL ITLL CERTAINLY BE A DARK SHADE OF GREEN AND LIME STONE[*]What about back seats? Bucket facing seats in the back, or bench seats?AM GOING FOR BENCH SEATS AT THE BACK[*]Any plans to put freewheeling hubs, or a winch in the vehicle?FREE WHEELING HUBS NO BUT A WINCH AT SOME POINT LATER I GUESS[*]Did you manage to find the right set of documents for this vehicle?I HAVE THE REGISTERATION ETC BUT NOT THE BRITISH DNA[*]Any parts you are falling short of, still? Need any help?[/list]MAN I COULD DO WITH ANYTHING YOU COULD SPARE !!!!!!!!!
Thanx and regards
Polly

Last edited by Polly Singh : 2nd January 2010 at 12:04.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I like the original color it really goes well with the vehicles overall looks. Just realized i havent voted for the thread 5 stars indeed
Thanx Jaggu, Most kind of you, the colour debate has been won by my son, when he leaves home ill get it all back to stock and accurately restore the small comforts and safety requirements ive allowed.
Polly

Most Viewed