Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2010, 23:18   #76
BHPian

We've finished priming and paint priming most of the body and assemblies, its very cold here and towards the evenings we light up a small wood fire to keep the layabouts warm. Even tried out an internal roll bar for size!! We then got a new T handled lock for the upper tailgate (liberated from an Ambassador car) and then we modified the original Land rover door lock tumbler to fit its key so we could use a single key for all entry locks. Just scraped and ground the little springs and brass plates also liberated from a Maruti car door lock !!!!!!!! Heres a shot of the car as it looks now and one of all the little itsy bitsy things yet to go on to the car!!
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9567.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9570.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9573.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9577.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9598.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9600.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9651.jpg  

Old 20th January 2010, 23:10   #77
BHPian

today we fixed the pot meter in the fuel gauge. the PO had shortened the float arm ??? simpler way to offset the instrument error of the new non stock gauge he had fitted. will have to get it right by trial and error. then we started on the Safari roof by rivetting the stifener supports first
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9654.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9655.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9658.jpg  

Old 21st January 2010, 22:22   #78
BHPian

Ok, today we put on the first coat on the basic body and then messed about with the speedometer to make it work, the lock on the freewheel had come off, put the gear box end of the cable into the mouth of a drill and ran it to check whether it works, the speedometer just moved to something like 5kmph, will have check again. hope you like the colour ??
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9660.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9661.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9663.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9664.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9665.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9667.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9668.jpg  

Old 21st January 2010, 23:58   #79
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! this fella is turning out to be a head turner. Good choice of colour and am sure the finish would be astonishing.

Polly sir honestly speaking this has been the MOST INTRESTING thread I've have experienced of all since it started, thank you for sharing the detailed information with pictures. I have a willys low bonnet which I am intending to restore and you have been an inspiration to me and many.

(just out of curiosity) Does ROVERS' come with any other fitments like a spade/jerrycan/axe or a trailer?

I feel this ROVER restoration has been the BEST in its class. Great going sir just holding the breath to look at the finished product. Cheers sir Happy driving sir in near future. I am sure you gonna enjoy
Old 22nd January 2010, 07:37   #80
BHPian

thanx Chanu, i was worried about the colour passing the Team BHP peer group expectations!!! Your enthusiasm and kind words make it all worthwhile.
Well the military Landrovers came fully loaded with all kind of accesories, heres pics of a Defender, a series 3 Pink panther and some current british army vehicles in Iraq !! Its the only vehicle i know that carried PSP sheets on the sides for traction. Lots of trailers were used including the sankay trailer, there was a version that even drove the trailer making it 6X6 vehicle !!
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-zztay40.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-dinkie1.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-3037766261_a4bd48ef83.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-pink_panther1.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-2581298581_ffd480a68e.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-id_land_rover_375.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-normal_704101.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2010, 13:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

Great going sir.What is your upholstry and wheel colour going to be?
Old 22nd January 2010, 13:51   #82
BHPian

Absolutely gorgeous color Polly Sir... this one's coming out beautiful after the restoration. But, correct me on my understanding, since you're using Maruti / Ambassador fittings at places, Is it actually a 'restoration' or plainly a 'workable modification/restoration'.

But anyways, the outcome will be superb and the best vehicle ever to wander this planet. Congrats.
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:14   #83
BHPian

Thanx Indrojit and Alto
Well the upholstery was only ever offered in faux elephant hide in grey or black. mine will be black. The series 2 were never factory upholstered, some people did the doors below the lock and the roof, ill be trying that (more to reduce the noise/heat/vibrations than style). the wheels will be limestone like the roof-pretty standard for a Landy

Ah Alto the question of originality........................ Its a matter of means more than the will, i simply cant afford to get everything stock, thats the bottom line. But ive promised myself i will one day!! when she truly becomes a classic in ten a years time. Right now itll be an everyday vehicle, and staying stock doesnt make sense, for instance I wouldnt survive a day in summer without a reflective heat/sound/vibration killing mat on the bulkhead. A new lock would cost me $35 and a months wait and what have i really changed- a few 2mm sized strips of brass in the lock tumbler. Well the metal sheets eaten by rust are now replaced by non stock indian metal, one of the damaged perspex windows in indian, the paint is indian. Most of the rivets/bolts/screws/nuts are non stock Indian. it gets confusing after a while, i guess we all compromise with our own continuousness. But iam fully with you, if you must restore then you must do it to the original state !!

Polly
Flying is living , the rest is just waiting
Polly Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2010, 00:22   #84
Senior - BHPian

Thankyou Polly sir for the Information, pictures are awesome I feel the only vehicles which can be adaptable for all terrians, conditions and nature is the ARMY vehicles. Great!!

Desire for originality depends on person to person and his persevarance and availability of spares apart from the cost involved (if budget is also a criteria)apart from TIME (the slow killer while restoring any vehicle). As Polly sir said few parts, paint, nut and bolts and rivets are Indian which I feel in most of the restoration here is inevitable. How close the vechicle has been restored to a original or straight from assembly line should be okay. All the best Sir.
Old 23rd January 2010, 00:47   #85
BHPian

Polly sir, on Saturday 15th - Sunday 16th May 2010, the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu is hosting the MotorMart Autojumble, which features over 1000 stands selling everything for the motoring enthusiast, including motoring parts, accessories, automobilia, literature, tools and clothing, covering all motoring eras. For the second year running, the Old Sodbury’s Land Rover Sortout will be held alongside the Beaulieu MotorMart Autojumble. The Sortout will have hundreds of stands of Land Rover related parts, including obsolete stock, body parts, engines, gearboxes, axles, bulkheads, clutches, accessories, improvements, conversions and even complete projects. It will run on the Sunday of the Beaulieu MotorMart Autojumble.

Book your tickets, maybe I'll join too!

Last edited by tonrag : 23rd January 2010 at 00:49.
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:27   #86
BANNED

Polly jee, the few first base coats always needs to be done using matte paint, by using normal base coats you again need to dull it to do the final coats, not the right method.

Ask your painter to dull it once and use a matte/ dull coat before the final glossy paint, this will enhance the binding quality of the final coats.

Coming out really well , when is the final coat going?
Old 23rd January 2010, 14:24   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Polly sir, on Saturday 15th - Sunday 16th May 2010, the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu is hosting the MotorMart Autojumble, which features over 1000 stands selling everything for the motoring enthusiast, including motoring parts, accessories, automobilia, literature, tools and clothing, covering all motoring eras. For the second year running, the Old Sodbury’s Land Rover Sortout will be held alongside the Beaulieu MotorMart Autojumble. The Sortout will have hundreds of stands of Land Rover related parts, including obsolete stock, body parts, engines, gearboxes, axles, bulkheads, clutches, accessories, improvements, conversions and even complete projects. It will run on the Sunday of the Beaulieu MotorMart Autojumble.

Book your tickets, maybe I'll join too!
Wow people are calling me sir and Jee what have i done to deserve this TonRag sir?? BTW i thought your'e buying my ticket sir. After all its your fault that iam in this mess sir!!
Hey Kadam thanx for the heads up on the paint issue. The weather is too messy right now for the remaining coats will wait for the sun.
Polly
Flying is living the rest is just waiting

Last edited by Polly Singh : 23rd January 2010 at 14:29.
Old 25th January 2010, 11:38   #88
BHPian

Wow, colour looks great, can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 25th January 2010, 22:13   #89
BHPian

Today we re-puttyed all the little nicks and blemishes on the paint , painted the roof and the seat box and did the tool box in the seat box the same lime stone as the roof. next for the wheels and steel cappings and bumpers!!
Polly
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9675.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9677.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9678.jpg  

Restoring A Series 2a 1969 8' Land Rover-img_9685.jpg  

Old 28th January 2010, 08:04   #90
BHPian

Awsome , polly sir , the landy looks super duper already .Great work .
cant wait to see it all complete.

Most Viewed