Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 12:06   #16
BHPian

Thee empty space in the dash is where the clock is supposed to be. i have the clock but the dial has warped. due to the sun.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

What about those dual parking lights on the Maharaja car. Is there some significance to this ?
Old 7th December 2009, 18:11   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What about those dual parking lights on the Maharaja car. Is there some significance to this ?
Hi wasif!
Regarding those twin parking lights, i think that my uncle just added them as turn signal indicators. (Btw, the trafficator arms are also still intact.)

Cheers!
Old 7th December 2009, 19:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Hi Micki.

Love both the cars. From reading your posts it would appear you didn't actually need a donor car for the original as it is quiet complete by itself.

The Maharaja's car has an interesting set of dual parking lights on the front mudguards. Is there any significance attached to them as was the case on cars from the Indore royal family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki9559 View Post
Hi wasif!

Yes, the car has original upholstery, original genuine leather. btw, my uncle used to say, that the elliptical springs also used to be wrapped in thick leather so that the suspension should not gather dust and start to squeak. as for the upholstery, it was completely done up in cream coloured cordurouy material. don't know whether i can do that up as per original specs. also, i don't plan to get the seats re done, i want to treat the leather and leaving the original leather underneath, i'll give them some covers on top.
I agree with Wasif that these are lovely cars worth restoring. Earlier I would not have given much thought, but this being a 6 cylinder with Maharaja provenance certainly should be kept. And do keep the twin sidelights, maybe a Maharaja feature of that period.

About the upholstry, well take care. If you simply patch up something and put covers, it will deteriorate further. What needs to be done in the first instance is to get some hide-food into the leather. This is actually some treatment which is something like a shoe polish. This has to applied repeatedly to make the dried and cracked leather soft. Take your time for this. Then try to patch it up, the badly torn pieces may be replaced with matched pieces, some weak patched can be given some backing. But if you put covers over the original leather, it will deteriorate. I have seen this happen in one of my cars where original upholstry was basically destroyed because of friction with the cover. This can happen to all kinds of upholstry, even at home.

Over the suspension "patas" there used to be leather Gaiters Boots or a similar name, also covering the gear shifter stem in cars with floor shift.

Suggest you restore the Raja car first, and then the parts car. If you get bored with two identical cars, you can always dispose and buy something else.

Please post pictures as you get along.

Cheers harit
Old 7th December 2009, 20:03   #20
BHPian

And by the way, i forgot to mention, I have the original owner's manual belonging to the Maharaja's car. will try to post some pics of it soon.
Old 7th December 2009, 20:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
the crank on the dash is for the wipers, it has a mechanical cable driven wiper system.
Not really a crank, more like a knob that is twisted to actuate the wipers. These were vacuum-operated wiper motors with mechanical linkages and could drive you up the wall at times. Nice car you have there, Micki; do you have the owner's manual for it?
Old 7th December 2009, 20:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
And by the way, i forgot to mention, I have the original owner's manual belonging to the Maharaja's car. will try to post some pics of it soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
...Micki; do you have the owner's manual for it?
Oh, didn't notice your new post as I rolled backwards through them and then stopped to reply to the one I did. So you do have the manual, otherwise I'd have offered to send you a scan of an original one that I have too - of our car that we were dispossessed of by an unsavoury fella! Must still be on my father's name, if in existence now, and am looking for it. Ours was/is a 1948. Am very happy to see that you possess two of these cars; they are special to me.
Old 7th December 2009, 21:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Suggest you restore the Raja car first, and then the parts car. If you get bored with two identical cars, you can always dispose and buy something else.
Please post pictures as you get along.
Cheers harit
harit,harit,harit,harit like everything you say. Most of the views you have expressed cannot be got in any book but can be however got only by experience.
But your above suggestion is the only one,I would not agree with. Rather I would suggest that Micky can buy a third and maybe fourth car of some different make for variety sake.
Congratulations harit on becoming a Senior Bhpian.
Old 7th December 2009, 22:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
harit,harit,harit,harit like everything you say. Most of the views you have expressed cannot be got in any book but can be however got only by experience.
But your above suggestion is the only one,I would not agree with. Rather I would suggest that Micky can buy a third and maybe fourth car of some different make for variety sake.
hi guys came across an vauxhall 12 4 44 model can any body tell me where is the chassis number on the car
Old 8th December 2009, 10:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Well, let us bless Micki9559 and wish him a 100 cars in his collection, perhaps after a while, duplicates become boring or maybe money flow will reduce. Then this duplicate car becomes a piggy bank for funds to enhance the collection or restore a car or whatever............. So I was actually suggesting that he restores that car, not throw it away in scrap but do it up. I can tell you a story about a restorer who should have known better than destroy two Buick Super 1947 sedan parts cars while restoring a convertible of the same make. One additional sedan could most definitely have been built up.
And when we collected stamps, coins etc, we did give away duplicates to increase/enhance our collection.
And then I said, "if you get bored...." notice that 'if'?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 8th December 2009 at 10:38.
Old 17th December 2009, 16:56   #26
BHPian

RC book.

Hi Friends!!
Sorry couldn't get back Earlier!!
I've put up some snaps of the RC book and the owner's manual of the maharaja's car.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!-08122009001.jpg  

1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!-08122009002.jpg  

1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!-08122009003.jpg  

1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!-08122009004.jpg  

1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!-08122009005.jpg  

1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!-08122009006.jpg  

1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!-08122009007.jpg  

1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!-08122009008.jpg  

1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!-08122009.jpg  

Old 24th July 2013, 16:33   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1947 Vauxhall 14 'J' Six Previously Owned By The Maharaja Of Kolhapur!

Micki, any updates?

You can write in your car's royal history to Vauxhall, they have a delightful website set up to commemorate 110 years of the brand

http://www.vauxhallandi.co.uk/
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed