Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2009, 22:07   #16
Team-BHP Support

Pavan, what's the condition of those door handles and headlight rims? Herald was coming with best chromium job those days.
Old 18th December 2009, 22:22   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Pavan, what's the condition of those door handles and headlight rims? Herald was coming with best chromium job those days.
Even though I didn't exist "those days", IMHO it was coming with the best job in more or less everything those days (atleast for a car of it's segment)
But pity people didn't take much to them when they were in plenty, again those days!

BTW, pavan, I forgot to mention- I'm going to be giving you company from now on, as you can see shortly in this section!
Old 18th December 2009, 22:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Even though I didn't exist "those days", IMHO it was coming with the best job in more or less everything those days (atleast for a car of it's segment)
Not really surprising here. You are talking about the British (1959 to 1971+ most probably) period. Almost Everything came from UK.
Quote:
But pity people didn't take much to them when they were in plenty, again those days!
Again, not surprising at all. It was never considered as a family car compare to Amby and Fiat.

What a turning circle it had!! Mind blowing. Only thing I didn't like was their weight sensitive real wheel cambering setup.
Old 18th December 2009, 23:32   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not really surprising here. You are talking about the British (1959 to 1971+ most probably) period. Almost Everything came from UK.
The first Indigenisation tremor came in the mid 1960's (it was 1965-66 to be precise) when all manufacturers had to reduce the imported components. The single, white dialled Smiths speedo in the Herald gave way to smaller white Yenkay speedo and two smaller meters.The two big dark grey dialled, Smiths meters of the Ambassador (earlier three incl. the clock in the Mark I and the first year's Mark II) gave way to the smaller Yenkay speedo and three smaller ones to the left for Fuel,Temp and Amps meters from Yenkay. The Fiat 1100 D and the Willys Jeep along with two wheelers too similarly got Yenkay speedos (fuel, temperature gauges in the Jeep and Fiats).
Even I had marked the older Bedford trucks with a single large Smiths meter above the steering console (a la the Fiats) with smaller gauges within for oil pressure, temp and fuel etc within the large Smiths meter that was replaced by smaller, black dialled round Yenkays.
Similarly along with meters many other parts mechanical and electrical were Indigenised.
So prior to 1965 it was all imports and CKD assembly in our trucks, cars and two wheelers but later on the Indigenisation factor came to the fore.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th December 2009 at 23:37.
Old 18th December 2009, 23:50   #20
BHPian

nostalgic feeling for this car. I learnt to drive in this car. Good to see it after a long long time
Old 19th December 2009, 02:16   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The single, white dialled Smiths speedo in the Herald gave way to smaller white Yenkay speedo and two smaller meters.
The Yenkay meters in Heralds were first LIGHT GREY, with dark grey lettering, as this one:

1967 MK1 Standard Herald-Restored-mk2speedo.jpg

Then later models (around late 60s) had all-black ones with white lettering, which continued on the Gazels and even Standard 20s.
Old 19th December 2009, 06:57   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Yenkay meters in Heralds were first LIGHT GREY, with dark grey lettering, as this one:

Attachment 247885

Then later models (around late 60s) had all-black ones with white lettering, which continued on the Gazels and even Standard 20s.
Thanks Stanher. Remember these and now have refreshed the memory.
Old 19th December 2009, 10:53   #23
BANNED

Quote:

Sir, the car has almost fallen apart, but as you said, the chrome still looks new.

Shocking but, none of the chrome bits viz., headlight rings/monograms/handles are all almost in great shape.

Quote:

BTW, pavan, I forgot to mention- I'm going to be giving you company from now on, as you can see shortly in this section!

Welcome sir, it'll be a treat to watch your restoration. The Guru and the Shishya

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 19th December 2009 at 10:54.
Old 20th December 2009, 20:43   #24
BANNED

Some more of scraping continued.

Having a tough time with the Tinker and painter.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 MK1 Standard Herald-Restored-p151209_09.57.jpg  

1967 MK1 Standard Herald-Restored-p151209_09.57_01.jpg  

1967 MK1 Standard Herald-Restored-p151209_09.58.jpg  

Old 20th December 2009, 22:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i View Post
That embossing on the seats is so classy!!!
She looks good, would love to see her in better shape!! :-)
It was a very popular trend of embossing on rexine seats in the year 1977 or so, there were very few people in mumbai who were doing in their home made heat based machines for embossing.
There were different patterns and designes for the same.
Igot my seats of my Ambassador Mark4 done at a place in mahim with similar embossing done on foam padded rxine made by BHOR Industries. .
It cost me 700/- in those days.
Old 21st December 2009, 13:11   #26
BANNED

Updates.

1) 99% tinkering complete
2) Body line checked - 100%
3) All locks and winders serviced
4) Body tapping complete
5) Surfacer sprayed

After this the Herald is 100% ready for painting process.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 MK1 Standard Herald-Restored-p211209_12.37.jpg  

1967 MK1 Standard Herald-Restored-p211209_12.38.jpg  

1967 MK1 Standard Herald-Restored-p211209_12.38_01.jpg  

1967 MK1 Standard Herald-Restored-p211209_12.38_02.jpg  

Old 21st December 2009, 15:31   #27
BHPian

Hey Pavan, looks good man. Pretty neat lines. As such I guess not much of the lines had gone bad. It was in quite a decent shape. Although just one step from scraping to surfacer, visually it gives a nice feel of a significant progress!!

I am planning to start off on the Standard 10 first then the Hillman. Have some reasons for that, will talk to you later today or tomorrow.
Old 21st December 2009, 23:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wow Pavan - Is the car already complete, and you're showing us the story in bits and pieces - OR, are you really going this fast ?
Hard to believe, man.
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:26   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_hillman View Post
Hey Pavan, looks good man. Pretty neat lines. As such I guess not much of the lines had gone bad. It was in quite a decent shape. Although just one step from scraping to surfacer, visually it gives a nice feel of a significant progress!!

I am planning to start off on the Standard 10 first then the Hillman. Have some reasons for that, will talk to you later today or tomorrow.
Came as a little surprise to me,Under those thick coats of paint was those great body lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow Pavan - Is the car already complete, and you're showing us the story in bits and pieces - OR, are you really going this fast ?
Hard to believe, man.
Saaar... these are WIP pics, updating the progress as its happening.

Untill now its been a fast paced work, but from now it'll go real slow.

We are now concentrating on the mechanicals, lots of parts missing, sourcing them one by one. We intend to start the car before the coming weekend.
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:17   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Updates.

1) 99% tinkering complete
2) Body line checked - 100%
3) All locks and winders serviced
4) Body tapping complete
5) Surfacer sprayed

After this the Herald is 100% ready for painting process.
Pavan, sorry for the delay but my net is out so typing from a net cafe right now...the bodywork looks quite good, door/bonnet/panels seem well-aligned by the tinker. But see that he also does a better job on the rear bumper valence (the curvy part below the rear bumper), especially the RH corner where the silencer sticks out. Many denters ignore that part on Heralds.

Also why have one of the 'herald' roof badges, tail-lamp assemblies and even the rear bumper guards been left on?? Sometimes painters tend to ignore these bits and leave them on, painting over them! Make sure they are taken OFF ASAP!

And also the triangular red reflectors inside the tail-fins, just abpve the tail-lights. Often these also are painted over, many people dont even know that they are there!

PLEASE see that these bits are removed before the painting. And also check for alginment of the bumperguards- they should sit straight in line with the tail-light covers when fitted.
Sometimes in the event they get rear-ended, they jut inwards and cause a dent on the rear bumper too, part where they're fitted. So please check them out too.

And I see the modification done to the petrol tank opening on the rear wing has been left as it is. Are you not going to revert to the original system with the petrol tank being accessible to fuelling externally, like this:

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/class...es/herald3.jpg

Looking forward to further updates.

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd December 2009 at 18:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks