Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 16:09   #16
BHPian

there is one lying in new bombay
Old 9th December 2009, 10:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
It just struck me that the name of the thread has to be changed because these are not three wheelers. They have 4 wheels, the rear two wheels are placed very close together. You could call this thread "BMW Bubble Car", or simply "BMW Isetta's in India".

Cheers harit
Harit,

Note sure of this car from the pictures. But Isetta did came in three wheels also

1959 BMW Isetta 300 3-wheel special

3 Wheeled BMW Isetta from Jai Vilas Palace Gwalior-isetta3wheel03.jpg
Old 9th December 2009, 11:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
there is one lying in new bombay
That is the red one being referred to as the one in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Harit,

Note sure of this car from the pictures. But Isetta did came in three wheels also 1959 BMW Isetta 300 3-wheel special
True, but that is the smaller one, the 300. All the cars in India are the larger model, they have 4 wheels. John mentioned tha same in his post.

Cheers harit
Old 9th December 2009, 12:11   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

True, but that is the smaller one, the 300. All the cars in India are the larger model, they have 4 wheels. John mentioned tha same in his post.

Cheers harit
The pic I posted is a 300 the badge clearly sates that and I stooped down it was 3 wheeled.

About the Chassis I mentioned in first port no idea what it was it just looked like a Chassis that's all.
First Rolls Royce was purchased in india by Maharaja of gwalior in 1907 so may be that or steam car predating it similar to one below.

The other one I saw badged as First Automobile of Gwalior dated 1902 in front of manciple museum should be this one. ( pic from net)

http://www.chrishodgephotos.co.uk/pixv/mt0043.jpg

Last edited by amitk26 : 9th December 2009 at 12:15.
Old 9th December 2009, 13:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

That is one unsafe looking car. Nice find though.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Isettas came in 3 wheels, 4 wheels and 4 wheels with the rear 2 wheels close coupled.

The last option gave the car some additional stability from the standard 3 wheels and in some countries these can be registered as a three wheeler.

Well the reason for a three wheeler was simple to have lower cost 1. In manufacturing 2. In the taxes. Further After the world war II amid the fuel crisis these cars were frugal in their diet.

But as soon as the crisis was over BMW Shifted to 4 wheels providing the car much needed stability.
Old 9th December 2009, 14:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
The pic I posted is a 300 the badge clearly states that and I stooped down it was 3 wheeled.

About the Chassis I mentioned in first post no idea what it was it just looked like a Chassis that's all.
First Rolls Royce was purchased in India by Maharaja of Gwalior in 1907 so may be that or steam car predating it similar to one below.

The other one I saw badged as First Automobile of Gwalior dated 1902 in front of muncipal museum should be this one. ( pic from net)

http://www.chrishodgephotos.co.uk/pixv/mt0043.jpg
Hi, yes indeed it is a 300, so only three wheels. Should have looked more closely. See, learning every day something new.

The chassis you mention, please try to get a closer look. You mention chassis, is it complete with mechanicals, or just a bare frame? This sounds like an interesting find.
BTW, that is a nice picture you found on the net. You could put up such pictures on the Nostalgic thread.

Cheers harit
Old 9th December 2009, 15:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullRock View Post
I didnt even know untill now that BMW were ever three wheeled...very intresting
Actually Issetta are not three wheeler. It has four wheels. the rear axle is much shorter than front. and hence wheels are very near.

3 Wheeled BMW Isetta from Jai Vilas Palace Gwalior-isettaiso.jpg

Update/Edit
didn't know this post was for Isetta 300.
Image Courtesy:
Wikipedia.org

Last edited by SirAlec : 9th December 2009 at 15:45.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:17   #24
BHPian

There seems to be a number of variations during it's production with changes in the bumpers, windows etc., but I am sure this model is the 300.

The 600 was the four seater as I recall.

Be interesting to try and identify the various models and something I will pursue.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Actually Issetta are not three wheeler. It has four wheels. the rear axle is much shorter than front. and hence wheels are very near.

Attachment 242300

Update/Edit
didn't know this post was for Isetta 300.
Image Courtesy:
Wikipedia.org
SirAlec,

The Isetta did came with 3 wheels and with 4 wheels also. I had done a study of sort on these tiny little wonders long time back for my project on low cost threewheeler car for masses.

I will refer my old data will give more inputs on the same.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
SirAlec,

The Isetta did came with 3 wheels and with 4 wheels also. I had done a study of sort on these tiny little wonders long time back for my project on low cost threewheeler car for masses.

I will refer my old data will give more inputs on the same.
Manish.

Interesting to hear about your research on three wheeled low cost motring options. This is a bit OT here but I was wondering if you or anyone else here have hear of or seen a three wheeled car called the BADAL that was proposed to be produced by APSSIDC in Hyderabad.

They had a few of them assembled and would display them on special events. There were two front tires and one rear, body fiber or metal dont remember now also not sure of the engine capacity. if I remember correct it was a Greaves Lombardini powerplant.
Old 9th December 2009, 17:18   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Interesting to hear about your research on three wheeled low cost motring options. This is a bit OT here but I was wondering if you or anyone else here have hear of or seen a three wheeled car called the BADAL that was proposed to be produced by APSSIDC in Hyderabad.
Wasif, here you go.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1099456

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1552886-post282.html
Old 9th December 2009, 18:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Manish.

They had a few of them assembled and would display them on special events. There were two front tires and one rear, body fiber or metal dont remember now also not sure of the engine capacity. if I remember correct it was a Greaves Lombardini powerplant.
Well, the Badal was made by Sipani, Bangalore, the same guys who made the Dolphin and the the Rover Montego. It may have had a Greaves Lombardini engine. We have seen them on the road, I have even seen one as a taxi in the countryside. The body was fibreglass, so not much scrap value

Cheers harit
Old 10th December 2009, 09:51   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wasif,

Now you know the answer. I had all the issues of Indian Auto from 1984 onwards and then Auto India from 1993 onwards. All these were a huge resource for the Classic and Vintage cars. A big story was there on Badal also in one of the Indian Auto Issue. But then one fine day I scrapped all of them . I regrett badly.
Old 10th December 2009, 18:06   #30
BHPian

A friend of mine has one of these. 3 wheels I think.
Bubble cars were common in my youth.

I'll post some pics when I get chance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks