Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post
But where will I be able to find the specification about the brake oil of the W123 series Mercedes Benz 300D? Does it differ from one series to anothee i.e. W123 to W124 ........
On the brake fluid filler cap. Say how come I haven't seen a photo of your mercedes? While you're clicking the pics please get one of the brakefluid container. It should be dot 3 or dot4. Time some mercedes owner let us knwo the fludi type after checking his brake specs

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 23rd December 2009 at 10:17.
Old 23rd December 2009, 20:30   #17
BHPian

Dear wartikars

could we get to see few snaps of your 300D.
Old 25th December 2009, 08:48   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I own a W123 series Mercedes Benz 300D. When I was driving it from Belgaum to Pune I had to brake suddenly as the truck in the side lane suddenly came into my lane to overtake tractor in its lane. After this the brake was not working for a long time. I had to park the vehicle for some time at the side of the road. Then I was ok again. When I reached Pune I took it to the mechanic who removed air from the brake pipes. All the 4 brakes are disk brakes. I had the same problem when I was driving in the Amboli ghats from Goa to Belgaum. And the mechanic in Belgaum had to do the same thing (remove air from the brake pipes). I am unable to ascertain the root cause of the proble also at the same time I don't want to be duped by a mechanic for lack of knowledge. Please help me.
We had the exact problem in our 123 Mercedes. Found that the wheel caliper piston was jammed causing overheating and heat transfer into the fluid.

Cleaned all 4 wheel calipers and replaced the seals, problem solved.
Old 25th December 2009, 11:56   #19
BHPian

Thanks Boeuff! But does this problem still persists? And what is the specification of the brake oil that you use? I am currently using the common one that is available at the HP outlets. If it is not the correct one then I will surely, flush out the current oil and put the specified oil. Also please let me know about the cost that you incurred in cleaning all the 4 calipers & replacing the seals.

I will surely ASAP post the snaps of my 300D and the brake fuild filler cap.
Old 25th December 2009, 16:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

wartikars
What is the type of fluid youve bought from HP? Dot 3 or Dot 4
Drive your merc and check if any of the disks are gettign more hot then the others? or jack up each wheel and turn to check. But if this were the case your mechanics would have found out by now. Cause you have got work done at belgaum and pune, right?
Old 25th December 2009, 19:13   #21
BHPian

Dear wartikars
The rear 2 cylider kit costed about 1300 rs. yes after the change of kit the problem was solved. (Due to jammed cylinders the wheel used to jam and because of heat the brake fluid used to vapourise).

As per the instructions on the cap only DOT 4 brake fluid is suggested

Cheers

Pradeep

Quote:
Thanks Boeuff! But does this problem still persists? And what is the specification of the brake oil that you use? I am currently using the common one that is available at the HP outlets. If it is not the correct one then I will surely, flush out the current oil and put the specified oil. Also please let me know about the cost that you incurred in cleaning all the 4 calipers & replacing the seals.

I will surely ASAP post the snaps of my 300D and the brake fuild filler cap.
Old 27th December 2009, 16:02   #22
BHPian

I was not aware of the specification fo brake oil in dots. I had asked for a brake oil at the HP petrol pump in Goa and the salesman gave me the brake oil. Does HP provide the 3 dot & 4 dot oil separately? OR is the brake oil a generic one? Is 3 dot a less dense brake oil than the 4 dot?
Old 28th December 2009, 22:06   #23
BHPian

I have checked the can of the brake oil. It says, "3 DOTS". I was a bit suspeciuous but was not confirmed about the desity available in the market. Where can I get a '4 DOTS' brake oil?

I have started to upgrade my knowledge about 300D W123. Thanks to you all.
Old 28th December 2009, 22:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

They may have both types at the pump. check the container. If you don't have it then go to a pump in pune and check details on a similar brake fluid container.
Old 31st December 2009, 16:24   #25
BHPian

I am still trying out to find the 4DOT brake oil. If I want to change the current brake oil with the correct brake oil myself, can it be done easily? If yes, then please let me know the procedure/process to do it myself?
Old 31st December 2009, 17:28   #26
BHPian

I didnt know cars like Mercs for which you pay close to a quarter crores can develop such defects!!
Old 1st January 2010, 14:09   #27
BHPian

Yes you are right SX4LOVER. You are absolutely right. These German beauties are seamless. But after 25 years there might have some health issues. I had bought this car almost 4 years ago at just Rs.3 L. And now it is almost 25 years old beauty. And again I take up the onus of creating the problem. I had not put in the correct brake oil.
Old 7th January 2010, 20:34   #28
BHPian

If I want to change the current brake oil with the correct brake oil myself, can it be done easily? If yes, then please let me know the procedure/process to do it myself?
Old 7th January 2010, 21:56   #29
Team-BHP Support

I wouldnt recommend a DIY with brakes, instead procure the right grade fluid and approach a garage. Its a straight forward job which garages can do in 30-40 minutes. If you dont do the bleeding and refill properly, loss of braking/jamming etc are real possibility and will compromise the safety.
Old 8th January 2010, 21:20   #30
BHPian

as jaggu says go to the right mechanic because the123 is an no nonsence car get the fluid changed the brake subject is been discussed for a while i had suggested the idea to sort out your problem in the begining in case your are going to kolapur my good friend who runs an very old garage there called mandody his name is vivian can take his advice

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks