Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2010, 22:59   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Stanher liked the car and would also see it getting back to the like new condition.What about the clutch? If it is to be replaced are these available? I think you will have to do some hard work to get the needed spares.
Old 5th January 2010, 21:25   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your comments (and patience! ) guys!

@anjan: Clutch problem could be sorted out at a later stage, after the body is dismantled from the chassis. I would leave it aside for now as I wouldn't want to be a hindrance to the denters.
Here is the update as of today. As I'd mentioned in my last post, following the water-servicing, scraping off of the paint already begun.
Here are the pics:

Yesterday (4/01)- Starting with the bonnet....taking a short break:

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4393.jpg

Resuming:

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4395.jpg

Bonnet scraped clean:

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4398.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4399.jpg

Today (5/01)- right side nearly completely scraped clean. The door appears to have some paste/lamby on in some spots, some of which they'd removed with the grinder. For such spots, they also intend to use the paint-remover, as also for places where the paint is difficult to remove/hard to reach. IMHO it would've been easier had they just applied it all over and then scraped off the paint. Anyways, as long as they do the job allright, it's fine.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4404.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4405.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4406.jpg

Minor traces of rust in door:

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4410.jpg

The headlamp cowl retaining ring and parking light on the right were removed by me, after I had a a minor but nasty scratch from the ring yesterday (see pic) 'had to take a TT injection for it today, but it's also healing now. However, uncanny as it may seem, I personally find this scratch worth remembering, as I got it from a Herald!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4415.jpg

Scraping proceeding to rear wing, the whole side must be done by now. The remaining cosmetic parts (roof badges, trim etc.) to be taken off alongwith the glass while starting with the roof.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4409.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 5th January 2010 at 21:30.
Old 5th January 2010, 22:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

I am glued to this thread. Finally I am posting.

Good work going on!! I may sound stupid, but how is the paint being removed? By scraping it?

Quote:
The headlamp cowl retaining ring and parking light on the right were removed by me, after I had a a minor but nasty scratch from the ring yesterday (see pic) 'had to take a TT injection for it today, but it's also healing now. However, uncanny as it may seem, I personally find this scratch worth remembering, as I got it from a Herald!
I can understand your pain and excitement as I went through a similar situation yesterday.

Sorry OT:
Yesterday I had been to gujiri. I was shocked to see a very good President being broken. I could see many original bits in the car. While walking around the car one small glass piece from the President just poked into my foot. It was Bleeding badly, but the excitement for the parts kept me going.

When I reached home I had tough time lying my mom about my hurt. My folks dont know that I go to gujiri two times a day. Just an hour back i too took a TT injection.

From the President I got-- Aluminium no. plate and tail lights, grill, PAL horn button, meter and cover.
Old 6th January 2010, 00:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
I am glued to this thread. Finally I am posting.

Good work going on!! I may sound stupid, but how is the paint being removed? By scraping it?
Aah, a fan! Thank you, arun!
Yes, of course it is being scraped, as can be seen. I do feel applying paint-remover all over the car first would be far more convenient, but didnt want to sound like I was interfering as the guy doing the work is an experienced old-timer, having worked at Auto-Chenoy (the former Standard dealer for Hyd.) at one time. So I don't wish to hurt anyone's ego or such. I would want some of the final job done to my specifications though.

Quote:
I can understand your pain and excitement as I went through a similar situation yesterday.

Sorry OT:
Yesterday I had been to gujiri. I was shocked to see a very good President being broken.I could see many original bits in the car. While walking around the car one small glass piece from the President just poked into my foot. It was Bleeding badly, but the excitement for the parts kept me going.
From the President I got-- Aluminium no. plate and tail lights, grill, PAL horn button, meter and cover.
Sad but glad; you atleast got to salvage the parts!

And yes, I definitely am empathetic to your feeling at the time you were 'wounded'- come to think of it, we sound kinda like old war-heroes, proud of talking about injuries we got while in 'action'!

PS: Also do keep an eye out for "LUCAS MADE IN ENGLAND" Headlamps the next time you scrounge that place- they are quite rare now and chances are that President too would've had them!

Last edited by Stanher : 6th January 2010 at 00:39.
Old 7th January 2010, 18:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

PS: Also do keep an eye out for "LUCAS MADE IN ENGLAND" Headlamps the next time you scrounge that place- they are quite rare now and chances are that President too would've had them!
How to make out on that count, do you have a reference image for the same. Does they have Made in England written over them.

What I have seen in the gujari was lucas with a mashaal symbol (torch liight) in the centre and then foreign glass written at the bottom and some where in between two it was written 7000 or 700 Headlamp.

A clarification from you end will be much usefull.
Old 7th January 2010, 19:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Further update as of last 2 days- paint scraped off the right side, although nothing much done besides that.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4417.jpg

Paint-remover applied here:

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4418.jpg

Signs of previously done welding/patchwork and current spots of rust showing up on front wing with the paint scraped off.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4430.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4431.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4436.jpg

Another interesting thing: note remains of the original jack-retaining strap in the boot! I've seen this intact on very few Heralds, usually those as pristine as the Dharampur Heralds. I don't have pics. at the moment to show what it exactly should be like but it's supposed to be fixed to the 2 bolts you see down on the boot floor, and just wide enough for the jack to go through.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4419.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
How to make out on that count, do you have a reference image for the same. Does they have Made in England written over them.
What I have seen in the gujari was lucas with a mashaal symbol (torch liight) in the centre and then foreign glass written at the bottom and some where in between two it was written 7000 or 700 Headlamp.
A clarification from you end will be much usefull.
Very easy to identify, saar- where you find "FOREIGN GLASS" etched at the bottom, there it will have "MADE IN ENGLAND" etched.
Rest everything of course is similar so difficult to identify at a casual glance.

Last edited by Stanher : 7th January 2010 at 19:10.
Old 7th January 2010, 22:24   #22
BHPian

Are you going to use your current engine by rebuilding it or any upgrades?
Old 8th January 2010, 10:09   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
Are you going to use your current engine by rebuilding it or any upgrades?
The original engine only, of course! No mods to be done here!
Old 10th January 2010, 01:16   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Update again! More of the paint on right side scraped off, some of the areas were found to be having a layer of filler paste on, which required a liberal dose of paint-remover to get off, namely the right door.

Scraping off the filler revealed a crack that had appeared in the door from the top onwards, fixed with welding but not done properly, causing a height difference in the bridged sections of metal. This is to be rectified now.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4446.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4445.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4447.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4448.jpg

Some more pics. taken on another trip this evening after dusk as my camera's batteries had to be recharged. Further scraping on right rear wing reveals hidden (read fillered-up) rust spots over/around wheel arch!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4449.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4453.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4455.jpg

Scraping of left side begins, another weld-repair mark on left front wing.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4450.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_4451.jpg

Stay tuned for more...!

Last edited by Stanher : 10th January 2010 at 01:28.
Old 10th January 2010, 01:22   #25
Senior - BHPian

beast of luck with the resto. lower part of the front fender looks damaged, was there an accident??
Old 10th January 2010, 01:34   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
beast of luck with the resto. lower part of the front fender looks damaged, was there an accident??
Thanks! You mean the front bumper, where the numberplate should've been?
Nope, that was caused by the frequent towing the car underwent, including 2 different occasions after I bought it, as it couldn't be driven due to non-functional brakes then!

Last edited by Stanher : 10th January 2010 at 01:35.
Old 10th January 2010, 11:20   #27
BHPian

Ah....the 1965 2 door Herald ! The car of my dreams !! I have owned a 1962, a 1964 & a 1972 4 door, all brand new ! The last one was rallied & raced hard at Agaram Bangalore in 1974 & 1975. Mods on the 1972 included a flattened rear leaf spring to being in -2 degress negative camber, static unladen, a mild Piper cam, offset-rockers, a twin choke Solex down-draught carb, servo unit from Elgi, Austin A-40 60 over-size pistons with Fiat rings,( which hardly left any space between the 1st/ 2nd & 3rd/4th bores....) But what a bomb it was...It actually would wheelspin when you changed into 2nd at 5000 RPM !!! Top speed recorded was 145Kms, not becaude the car couldn't take it, but I would loose my nerve thinking of those puny brake drums.....!
Red paint with the original red upholstery will look as original as Standard Motors made them. You will also perhaps recall that until 1963, they offered 2 tone paint jobs, (blue & white, red & white, grey & white 7 green & white) were the only 4 options. I also remember from 1964 on (when they changed over to the triple Yenkay insruments from the single Jaeger unit) they discontinued 2 tone paint jobs, & settled for single colours. Powder blue, Sebring white Phantom grey etc were some names I recall !! But if I remember, from 1965 they sold the phase II, which had a slightly modified bonnet like the Triumph Vitesse, but with a single head lamp & pakimg light per side. The boot was also flat & not recessed. I would think that your car is more likely to be a 1964 rather than a 1965....!
Good luck & do ask if you need any information !!!
Old 10th January 2010, 15:16   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shramik View Post
Ah....the 1965 2 door Herald ! The car of my dreams !! I have owned a 1962, a 1964 & a 1972 4 door, all brand new ! The last one was rallied & raced hard at Agaram Bangalore in 1974 & 1975.
Red paint with the original red upholstery will look as original as Standard Motors made them. You will also perhaps recall that until 1963, they offered 2 tone paint jobs, (blue & white, red & white, grey & white 7 green & white) were the only 4 options. I also remember from 1964 on (when they changed over to the triple Yenkay insruments from the single Jaeger unit) they discontinued 2 tone paint jobs, & settled for single colours. Powder blue, Sebring white Phantom grey etc were some names I recall !! But if I remember, from 1965 they sold the phase II, which had a slightly modified bonnet like the Triumph Vitesse, but with a single head lamp & pakimg light per side. The boot was also flat & not recessed. I would think that your car is more likely to be a 1964 rather than a 1965....!
Good luck & do ask if you need any information !!!
Hello and welcome aboard!
Thanks for sharing your knowledge/memories of Heralds! 'was a pleasure to read.
Do you have any old photos of your Heralds to share?? If so, do upload them when feasible in the "Standard cars in India" thread here!

Reg. paint job, red on the exterior with a red interior would look too clashing. I am thinking Phantom Grey with red interior. But it's for the owner to decide too...there's still time for it anyway.

I certainly am aware that Heralds first (1961-62) came out in 2-tone (known as Duotone) colours, but plain black was also available as an option. And I'm told red too, besides the red and white. But not sure about grey and white, although I'm told one such car,a 1-owner one, in this colour combo exists in Bangalore.

The mark II came out in 1966, and initially it had the normal recessed bootlid, the flat one being introduced a year later.

And was the 4-door (mark III) available even in 1972? I thought this was the year when the Gazel had come out?

Once again, it's a pleasure having another Herald enthusiast on board!
Old 11th January 2010, 14:53   #29
BHPian

Yes, it was indeed a 1971 December & not a 1972, sorry ! I had one of the last 4 door Heralds to be produced, it came in 'buckskin brown', a beige sort of colour. The gazel did come out sometime in March 1972, & was an eyesore ! My pictures are old prints which I need to scan & will then put them up.
Always willing to oblige with whatever information I can recollect !!!
Old 12th January 2010, 13:34   #30
BHPian

Hi Stanher!

Great job Boss!!!
Can you please elaborate on the specs of the engine particularly? I believe I can lay hands on a similar Herald here. Same two door version. I have seen one rusting near my home. Just need to enquire about the car. These mechs generally turn down the proposals saying that they want to restore it....and when you return even after two years, you find the car even more deteriorated.
Anyways - waiting for the engine specs...

Most Viewed