Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 10:57   #286
Senior - BHPian

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Take care.

There is a lot to be learnt from this thread, and I really appreciate your and everyone elses input. For example, the bolt "grade" was something I was unaware of. Thanks guys.
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:04   #287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shyam - the nominal size of the driveshaft bolts of the herald is M8*1.25. Please ensure 100% that the bolt grade that you use in this application is 12.9 or alternate 10.8 only. Normally shopkeepers will give you 8.8 grade bolts. They are OK for general applications but for torque transfer, it is compulsary to use 12.9 or 10.9 grade bolts only.
These bolts are regularly made by TVS fasteners and you should not have a problem procuring them. Please DO NOT use 8.8 grade in this application, no matter what anybody says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Grade is generally used to refer a fastener rather than a particular steel. For e.g. 8.8 bolt, it is made from a quenched and tempered alloy steel, either carbon or stainless. Grade 8.8 means bolts having an Ultimate Tensile Strength of 800 N/mm2 and a yield stress which is 80% of this value (800x0.8= 640 N/mm2).
OK, guys, the mystery of the axle bolts has been solved by yours truly himself today!!

I'm finally back on my feet today after a week's rest at home following my surgery! Now feeling much better so could venture out at last today!
I can safely assume I wont be thought as weird if I tell you I missed this place like hell the last 1 week! Haha!

'went to the garage this noon and checked out the work that I was told was done the last week in my absence.

Also checked out the bolts fitted on the axles either side. Much to my relief, I could make out 'TVS 10.9' stamped on the bolt heads, although couldnt take a clear pic. of them despite trying!!

So that's that- nothing to worry now!

Anyways, the rear spring too has been fitted in place and rear suspension is all complete now, barring one radius arm on the left.

The underside has been zinc-primered, and the welds sealed with some kind of sealant they've used of their own. I wasnt able to procure the seam sealant from Bangalore that manish had mentioned in his fiat thread. But maybe I can in time for sealing the flooring from the insides.

Meanwhile they've begun working on the doors, right door already reskinned! Left door in progress- rust sure looks real baaaaad on this one! If only these were the days when one could straightaway go for a replacement door from Afzulgunj without a second thought...!

'also found some new patch sheets lying on the car, also with the insides coated in zinc primer. I dont know what these were for, maybe for the other door. There was none in the garage when I went today so couldnt ask the details. More tomorrow...

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6752.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6753.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6754.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6733.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6734.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6736.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6737.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6738.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6740.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6742.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6744.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd July 2010 at 16:05.
Old 22nd July 2010, 18:17   #288
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shyam am relieved after hearing you recovering from the surgery. Hope you are back on track. BTW the under body of the car is looking very clean. Almost like a pro job with those metal impressions clearly matched together. I wish if fiats too could be restored in the same manner. What brand zinc primer is used.
Every time i see that Gazel in the background, i get motivated to acquire one but console myself to fiats.

Last edited by samsag12 : 22nd July 2010 at 18:18.
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:37   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
also with the insides coated in zinc primer.
Shyam,

In one of the pictures the floor bottoms are applied with chassis black where ever welding is done, I really appreciate this, however if we had got the body sealer, it would have been a lot better. I look for the same once I am back.
Old 22nd July 2010, 22:46   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Hey Shyam am relieved after hearing you recovering from the surgery. Hope you are back on track. BTW the under body of the car is looking very clean. Almost like a pro job with those metal impressions clearly matched together.
What brand zinc primer is used.
Every time i see that Gazel in the background, i get motivated to acquire one but console myself to fiats.
Thanks sagar bhai! Yes, feeling much better....although on the verge of catching a cold now....:sighhhhhh: there has been a change in the weather lately!
I will ask them about the brand of zinc primer tomorrow, I suspect it is MRF, considering this is of a lighter shade than the one applied on the chassis. I had also used the same brand once, it was of a similar, pale shade of yellow.

Good luck with acquiring a Gazel, maybe the maroon one you saw! Some day, some how....or even better a Herald!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Shyam,

In one of the pictures the floor bottoms are applied with chassis black where ever welding is done, I really appreciate this, however if we had got the body sealer, it would have been a lot better. I look for the same once I am back.
Ohh, so that's what that black 'sealant' is, is it?!

Thanks for telling me. Well, the entire underside is going to be coated in the same....but still, I liked that seam sealer much better!

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd July 2010 at 22:50.
Old 26th July 2010, 20:31   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Update:

Door work nearly completed on the left door, which I saw today. The lower hinge is not in shape, so needs to be fixed at the lathe.

'also made sure the insides of the door bottoms are zinc-primered before being welded on, as the metal has to brave the coastal Madras climate for the rest of the car's life.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6779.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6781.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6935.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6936.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6937.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6938.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6939.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6941.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6777.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 26th July 2010 at 20:33.
Old 27th July 2010, 02:18   #292
BHPian

Beautiful shyam. sont ever skinp on details , like you havent till now. My contessa will be going in for a grounds up restoration soon. You thread is very useful guidance and every photo of the work in progress and the guys working will help, I love your thread for the fact that its the most detailed restoration thread on teambhp. Keep it coming
Old 27th July 2010, 12:29   #293
BANNED

hi,good to hear you are back.you have done a marvelous job on your car.what about the gazel standing in the background,is it for sale.i am putting up my red herald for sale,because i have just finished restoring another one.shall be putting up the pictures soon.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:48   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ohh, so that's what that black 'sealant' is, is it?!

Thanks for telling me. Well, the entire underside is going to be coated in the same....but still, I liked that seam sealer much better!
Shyam Garu,

I missed your post. The black sealent seems to be chassis black and if it is is a substitute for the body sealer. How effective it is I really do not know.
Old 29th July 2010, 22:09   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
hi,good to hear you are back.you have done a marvelous job on your car.what about the gazel standing in the background,is it for sale.i am putting up my red herald for sale,because i have just finished restoring another one.shall be putting up the pictures soon.
Sorry for the delay, just noticed your post.

The Gazel is not for sale at the moment (and not mine either! ), it belongs to another customer of theirs, they are to restore it shortly.

You can read more of it here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1944280-post1129.html

Well, pity you have to sell your Herald, but I do understand you may have some constraints. You are selling it with the roof, I presume?

Last edited by Stanher : 29th July 2010 at 22:10.
Old 29th July 2010, 22:41   #296
BANNED

Shyam, I love the way your workshop guys have got out the underchassis.

Waiting for further updates, and all the best.

Here at Bangalore, rain gods are seeing RED daily, but the Herald is yet to see the final coat of RED.
Old 30th July 2010, 20:01   #297
Distinguished - BHPian

Updates again: Both doors now completed! The faulty lower hinge on the left door too has been fixed successfully!

Also all wheels but for one, which were earlier "throwed" or aligned have been zinc-primered on the inside! 'look good now!

And both the front suspension towers fitted onto the chassis today, after much trial and error, mainly because of not getting proper-fitting bolts earlier (the ones fitted turned out to be lower quality ones, so was advised to change) and they finally got it right today!

Front suspension parts given for setting, one fork was severely bent and required extensive correction. They should be back tomorrow.

Under pressure from the garage guys to finish up the suspension/brake piping work ASAP as they want to fit back the body onto the chassis!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6969.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6970.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6972.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6973.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6965.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6966.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6948.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6950.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6952.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6968.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6974.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6977.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6979.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6980.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6982.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6983.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6984.jpg
Old 1st August 2010, 21:01   #298
BANNED

Quote:
Sorry for the delay, just noticed your post.

The Gazel is not for sale at the moment (and not mine either! ), it belongs to another customer of theirs, they are to restore it shortly.

You can read more of it here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1944280-post1129.html

Well, pity you have to sell your Herald, but I do understand you may have some constraints. You are selling it with the roof, I presume?
Hi,i am selling it with the roof.just removed because driving topless is more
fun,besides the second car is also on road.One of my friends is specifically looking for a gazel,because he feels that a car with a chasis is more stable.Thats his view.shall post pictures of both cars soon.
Old 1st August 2010, 21:32   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
Hi,i am selling it with the roof.just removed because driving topless is more fun,besides the second car is also on road.One of my friends is specifically looking for a gazel,because he feels that a car with a chasis is more stable.
I'm not sure if I got this- a Herald has a chassis too, as can be seen here!

I suggest you try and advise your friend to go for a Herald- they are much more attractive, more popular plus spares are at least available from abroad, unlike the Gazel which was made only in India.
Old 2nd August 2010, 00:57   #300
Senior - BHPian

I am eager to see Stanguru's car getting ready for the paint (I am aware of the real ownership). I really appreciate the challenges overcome, patience levels shown and attention to detail in this restoration. All the best Shyam and convey my appreciation to the skilled people out there working on this car.

Most Viewed