Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 16:10   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!

Finally able to post an update today!!

Albeit not much since I'm not yet fully recovered to be able to move around but I happened to go out today and so decided to make a very brief visit to the garage to take a sneak peek at the latest happenings. 'didnt hang around for more than 5-10 mins.

The body's now being reassembled, doors are back on and so is the bonnet, which is being aligned. Body is yet to be bolted on to the chassis though, looks like some final adjustments are being made.

'should be done by this weekend I guess. And even I should be much better by then.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_8678.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_8677.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_8671.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_8672.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_8673.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_8674.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_8675.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 19th April 2011 at 16:12.
Old 19th April 2011, 23:47   #362
Senior - BHPian

Car shaping up well, I wonder the work on the car is going on well even in your absense, thats a good sign. Wish you both a speedy recovery.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 14:40   #363
Senior - BHPian

I thought this might just help you since the seller also seems to be from Hydrabad -

STANDARD HERALD SPARES FOR SALE - Hyderabad: Spare Parts - Accessories in Hyderabad at Quikr Hyderabad
IndrojitSircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 15:34   #364
BHPian

Waoo ... Lot of hard work going on in the project. The Car is coming out extremely nice. Hope to see it back to its former glory soon. Its nice to see your people working on the car in your absence too. Here my guys "DROP THEIR WEAPONS" immediately after i am out of the garage. heheheh

I am also starting a Mark 1 Herald Restoration for a Friend here in pune. The Car has nearly gone to the ground. I was trying to acquire it but he refused to sell it, saying he has some very fond memories in / with it since his college days. He also wanted it to restore it for a loong time but could not find time and a suitable Denter / Mechanic for doing work on it. So finally i was able to pester him to start restoration with the help of my Mechanic / Denter. Lets Hope another beauty is on the Road soon.

Regards
Shreeram
Shreeram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 19:30   #365
BHPian

Shyam Bhai, I am wondering how could I miss this jewel all these days. What an amazing restoration project. The moment I started reading it, I had to complete it for sure and here I am in the 25th page after spending 1.5 long hours to go through each page of the thread here at office.

Kudos to your passion, patience and knowledge about these vintages.

OT: Mr. Khan at Vijay Nagar Colony still has that Red Standard Herald. Was talking to him the other day, when his TRIUMPHed Standard Herald was getting a good bath and a good coat of wax polish. He is planning to get the upholstery done up soon.
traveloholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 20:43   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreeram View Post
Waoo ... Lot of hard work going on in the project. The Car is coming out extremely nice. Hope to see it back to its former glory soon. Its nice to see your people working on the car in your absence too. Here my guys "DROP THEIR WEAPONS" immediately after i am out of the garage. heheheh
I am also starting a Mark 1 Herald Restoration for a Friend here in pune. The Car has nearly gone to the ground.
Shreeram, 'dropping the weapons' is a common ailment everywhere! Often cured by timely supply of Vitamin M!
Interesting to know about this Herald you're working on! Any pics.? Incidentally, your uncle (from whom you acquired your dolphin) had a RARE, early Herald (1961-62) 'MHP 147'. Very original right down to the upholstery but sadly also gone to the ground, and worse still, eventually sold for scrap I'm told!! Saddens me to this day to even think about it! 'wish you'd tried for it like you did for the dolphin....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Shyam Bhai, I am wondering how could I miss this jewel all these days. What an amazing restoration project.
Kudos to your passion, patience and knowledge about these vintages.

OT: Mr. Khan at Vijay Nagar Colony still has that Red Standard Herald. Was talking to him the other day, when his TRIUMPHed Standard Herald was getting a good bath and a good coat of wax polish. He is planning to get the upholstery done up soon.
Hey, nice to see you drop in here, nikhil! But for the 'thank you' option, I would've been grateful for thy kind words! I do keep coming across your snaps of vintages and classics every now and then, 'hope you become a kid on our block soon! Hehe!

Reg. your mention of the Red TRIUMPHed Standard Herald at Masab Tank- doth thou speaketh of this very car perchance? (excuse the lingo but am right now preparing Shakespeare for my exams next month...so sometimes hota hai! )

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0834.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_0835.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-aayher.jpg

I was once shown this car for sale by a broker from the same area, back in 2008 and was quoted a steep price then, which is why I let it pass- he first justified it by telling me it was an "imported TRIUMPH" but the moment I saw the car, I knew better and did a 'pardha-fash' on him by even showing him the 'standard herald' chassis plate! lol!
I dont know the name of the owner though, as I didnt get to meet him (the day I was shown this car, I was told the owner wasnt in town) and coincidentally, I got to know only later that this car was sold to him by the owner of this same garage where I'm getting this Herald done up back in 2005 or '06! He even showed me some mob. pics. of the same car when he'd owned it and had it done up around 2004. The rims were then painted in the correct off-white and not the present silver, and it also had all the hubcaps intact unlike now. 'not sure if the TRIUMPH badging was there then or fitted by the present owner.

Last edited by Stanher : 27th April 2011 at 20:45.
Old 28th April 2011, 23:47   #367
BHPian

Yes Shaym even i feel sad about that. I recently saw the Pics of the Particular herald and it was a very good example. Yes it was scrapped. Even I wish i could save a few of them and keep them with me for Example the Triumph Mayflower the Bedford Van and a Few others. The Most important of them all the Citroen 2 Cv VAN. (Scarped)

But The Good news is that the remaining of the cars are being Restored :thumbs The bad news is that I will never be able to put up their Pics and they will never feature in any rallys. :(
Old 29th April 2011, 12:06   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Reg. your mention of the Red TRIUMPHed Standard Herald at Masab Tank- doth thou speaketh of this very car perchance? (excuse the lingo but am right now preparing Shakespeare for my exams next month...so sometimes hota hai! )
Shyam Bhai, the car I speaketh about isin't this one. There's a Red STANdard HERald, which is of a different combination. Shall try to get the pics soon. In the meantime, am posting a photoshopped version of it to show you how it looks.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-colonystanher.jpg
Old 26th June 2011, 21:46   #369
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally able to post an update today!!
Hi Stanher,

What is the update on this car? Has the car gone to Chennai? What colour paint has been chosen for the car? What original colour options came for this model?

A few years back a mechanic in Chennai had a dual carb manifold for sale, I wonder what happened to it.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 26th June 2011 at 21:56. Reason: added a line
Old 27th June 2011, 10:27   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
What is the update on this car? Has the car gone to Chennai? What colour paint has been chosen for the car? What original colour options came for this model?

A few years back a mechanic in Chennai had a dual carb manifold for sale, I wonder what happened to it.
Hi KPS,

Car is still here. Nothing major yet again I'm afraid! The tinwork is yet to be completed on the body.

This being a '65 mk1, came in only single colours. Sebring White (the original colour on this car), Phantom Grey, Powder Blue, Conifer Green, Black and a kind of greyish blue were offered on it from what I gathered.

Was the dual carb manifold suitable for a 948cc Herald btw?
Old 28th June 2011, 23:21   #371
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a real disappointment. I thought that with your charm the mechanics would have completed their job by now.Things in this line never work as per plan. I do hope for updates and I am sure Jai must be waiting to start driving this car in Chennai.
Quote:
Hi KPS,
Car is still here. Nothing major yet again I'm afraid! The tinwork is yet to be completed on the body.

This being a '65 mk1, came in only single colours. Sebring White (the original colour on this car), Phantom Grey, Powder Blue, Conifer Green, Black and a kind of greyish blue were offered on it from what I gathered.
Quote:
Thanks for the info. I did notice that the car in the first post was white. Funnily most of the Heralds I have seen are red
Was the dual carb manifold suitable for a 948cc Herald btw?
Quote:
Actually it suit the 1.2L engine. But I still wonder what happened to it. BTW could this be fitted for the 948 CC Car?
Cheers

KPS
Old 28th June 2011, 23:29   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
That is a real disappointment. I thought that with your charm the mechanics would have completed their job by now.Things in this line never work as per plan.
The only charm that seems to work in most cases these days is Vitamin M!

These guys have fortunately just received the latest dose of it, so things should proceed with better speed from now on.

Last edited by Stanher : 28th June 2011 at 23:35.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 23:41   #373
BANNED

Quote:
The only charm that seems to work in most cases these days is Vitamin M!

These guys have fortunately just received the latest dose of it, so things should proceed with better speed from now on.
Truly said, But you need to understand another thing too..

With Classic car restoration Time = Money.

More the time the car stays with the workshop guys, the more you spend.

Thats the only reason i get to finish my restorations within a short time so that the car owner does'nt get fleeced.

End of it... Time Saved, Money Saved, Car Saved
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 00:03   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

@KPS: Sorry, forgot to reply to the other part of your post- Too late to include this in that post now, hence a separate post.
1.2L Dual carb manifold is unlikely to work on a single carb 948cc.

Well, many Heralds I've seen were white! This was the most common colour on them apart from red. My red Herald too was originally white (with a maroon stripe) I was told! But in many cases, these 2 colours were repaint jobs.
Old 3rd February 2012, 23:08   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi all,
Well back after a spell no doubt!

But this time I hope there is no more stalling!!

After what seemed like an eternity, work on the car has finally resumed! Now patching of the body panels is going on. Even though its at a negligible pace, I'm glad that atleast the work has resumed after such a long pause!

Left side already done, the right side was being done when I visited today.

As I reckoned this pocket to be a potential rust-trap, I insisted that the "pocket" inside after the panel was cut out be zinc-primered despite the guys insisting that red-oxide was enough.

Not too happy with the way it was being applied. But I still feel its better than plain red-oxide primer.

More as work progresses!

PS: Sorry about the pic. quality, forgot to take my camera today so these are mobile cam pics.!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0016.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0057.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0058.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0059.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0061.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0062.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-photo0065.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd February 2012 at 23:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks