Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 22:21   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

1) Shocks- the right rear one has gone, as my mech. pointed out. Hydraulic action totally lost. So needs to be replaced. I do have 2 pairs (front and rear) of Herald shocks, if they are found to be good, will fit one of them. The left one seems ok. Front ones yet to be opened up.
One thing here i would say is change all four.You need not use the original ones if you want but in the market you get new ones which are as good or better quality.Now what you have to see is the height of it when fully out and the height when fully in.Normally you would get a match and wouldn't cost much.

Quote:

3) You mean the cylinder KITS or the whole cylinders themselves? One of the master cyls. (brake one I think) had been replaced, the original one having been taken out and misplaced by the garage where the car previously lay until I bought it (and later sold to jai.)
My mech. has fitted a new kit for the clutch one, the slave cylinder would need a new kit I guess.
I meant the whole cylinders but if you do get a set of good kits then i guess it would do the job.
Old 5th February 2010, 22:41   #92
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this is com-pree-hen-sive, man ! Love this thread.
The last picture should be titled: "Where do we go from here ?"
Old 5th February 2010, 22:41   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
One thing here i would say is change all four.You need not use the original ones if you want but in the market you get new ones which are as good or better quality.Now what you have to see is the height of it when fully out and the height when fully in.Normally you would get a match and wouldn't cost much.
By new ones, do you mean they are for Standards?? Speaking of which, do you remember my asking you about these via pm once?
Come to think of it, the left rear one is a Gabriel one (since it's blue) and doesnt seem like one that was stock on Heralds. Maybe we could similar ones that have the same height as the originals?

Quote:
I meant the whole cylinders but if you do get a set of good kits then i guess it would do the job.
Ideally, I would change the whole cylinders too, with imported ones that too!
But in this case, I'd leave some things to jai and my mech. as well.
Old 5th February 2010, 23:03   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By new ones, do you mean they are for Standards?? Speaking of which, do you remember my asking you about these via pm once?
Come to think of it, the left rear one is a Gabriel one (since it's blue) and doesnt seem like one that was stock on Heralds. Maybe we could similar ones that have the same height as the originals?
By this i mean you can get replacement ones.Yes i meant that only that you get similer ones of the same height no other problem.I would say just change all the four since you are at it.

Quote:

Ideally, I would change the whole cylinders too, with imported ones that too!
But in this case, I'd leave some things to jai and my mech. as well.
I would again say that you first try and get kits and see if they work well otherwise i just do a good job of it.Speak to jai about it i'm sure he would consider the same.I know that the cost factor is important and i would leave it upto you to decide.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:41   #95
Senior - BHPian

Waiting for some updates stanher guru!
Old 12th February 2010, 09:56   #96
BHPian

Quote:
+1 Infact we all are eagerly waiting for updates!
Old 12th February 2010, 21:58   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
+1 Infact we all are eagerly waiting for updates!
OK ok...easy guys! Here they are now, courtesy yourwishismycommand.com!!

A little work was resumed today, namely taking out the radiator, engine and gearbox. My mech. had to go for his namaaz plus I too had to leave for an appointment early this evening so it was decided to continue with the front suspension removal tomorrow. However, I've heard this evening that there is another 'bandh' likely to happen tomorrow, so not sure!!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5016.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5018.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5020.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5022.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5023.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5024.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5025.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5028.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5033.jpg

All the pipes were collected together and tied up, safely hung up here...'look quite creepy, resembling snakes, dont they?!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5034.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5035.jpg

Stay tuned for further!
Old 15th February 2010, 08:35   #98
BHPian

Great progress Stanher!

Wanted to ask you if there was a open top model of Standard Herald? Was watching "Yeh Wada Raha" movie in the morning today and Rishi Kapoor in this movies drives a oepn top car which resembles exactly with the Standard Herald. The car looks great and I can only wish to lay my hands on one such car!!
Old 15th February 2010, 15:56   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great progress Stanher!

Wanted to ask you if there was a open top model of Standard Herald? Was watching "Yeh Wada Raha" movie in the morning today and Rishi Kapoor in this movies drives a oepn top car which resembles exactly with the Standard Herald. The car looks great and I can only wish to lay my hands on one such car!!
Thanks.

Well, I can confirm that there was NEVER an OE/mass-produced convertible version of the Herald available in INDIA, despite some people claiming otherwise. But because of the fact the roof can be simply bolted off and back, a lot of creative people- especially flim makers- had got such conversions done; ie. simply taking off the original roof and leaving it as an 'open top'. You'd find a lot of such "topless" Heralds used as 'baraat' cars on hire especially down south.
I know of VERY few Heralds however, that were made into proper convertibles, with the proper soft-top etc. Some were done by original Standard dealers back in the day, who may have been trained by Standard-Triumph, UK and so may have been the only ones with a proper idea how to do it. One such Herald can be seen in the 60s movie "Pyaar kiye jaa", actually based on a tamil movie "Kadhaikka Neramillai", of that time. Therefore, apart from the story, a lot of things were borrowed from the original movie, including the Herald in it and even one of the heroines!
Here're pics. of said car from the tamil original as well as the Hindi remake (the regn. MSW 6959 was later faked as BML 6959 for Pyaar kiye jaa! ) In some of the pics. you can see the proper soft-top arrangment done on the car a la original convertible Herald:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1008229-post72.html

Last edited by Stanher : 15th February 2010 at 15:58.
Old 17th February 2010, 08:47   #100
BHPian

Thanks for the confirmation and sharing that wonderful peice of information Stanher!

Cars in those days were built with so much more passion, which seems to be vanished in today's cars. Though we did not have the luxuries of the present day cars, but the feel of sitting in and driving a vintage is an experience in itself.

I always wonder, why can't we have similar car models with present day fuel ecomony today? (I know I am being stupid!!!)

Cheers! and waiting for more updates....!
Old 17th February 2010, 09:38   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation and sharing that wonderful peice of information Stanher!
My pleasure! Always happy to share any 'Standard' news!

Quote:
I always wonder, why can't we have similar car models with present day fuel ecomony today? (I know I am being stupid!!!)
Even if we did, the build quality etc. would surely vary, and they'd be crippled by safety norms, emission norms etc. etc. You just wouldnt have the same feel!

Quote:
Cheers! and waiting for more updates....!
You had to say the magic words!!

OK, 'meant to post these last night but forgot!

As of now, I got to see the underside of the chassis for the first time, as the guys had turned it over to scrape it a little while waiting for the mech. to dismantle the front suspension.

The rust sure is bad in some places but I wasnt too surprised. 'can be resurrected though, not to worry!

And following pics. show the front suspension removal yesterday. The silencer couldnt be removed as the retaining bolt wouldnt come off, so needs to be heated and loosened I was told. Plus the front suspension mounts or "towers" seen on either side at the front need to be removed too, so will be done today.
Then the whole chassis will be scraped of the existing paint, muck etc.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5043.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5044.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5045.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5048.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5049.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5054.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5055.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5057.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5060.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5062.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5065.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5066.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5087.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5088.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5089.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5090.jpg
Old 17th February 2010, 11:04   #102
Senior - BHPian

Shyam.

Did you notice the chassis actually looks like a giant pair of sissors or tongues used by body workers to clamp metal ?

The chassis looks like its in a very poor shape, why don't you look around and get a replacment, shouldn't be a major problem.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:47   #103
BHPian

That was quick!!

Chasis sure looks worned out. A better condition replacment would be a good idea I believe. But then, wont that create an issue as the Chasis number will be changed? The RC book wont reflect the correct details in that case. My knowledge is very limited and dont pounce on me if what I am thinking is not right!!!
Old 17th February 2010, 11:54   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The chassis looks like its in a very poor shape, why don't you look around and get a replacment, shouldn't be a major problem.
Quote:
Chasis sure looks worned out. A better condition replacment would be a good idea I believe. But then, wont that create an issue as the Chasis number will be changed? The RC book wont reflect the correct details in that case.
Agreed, it would be much easier and more convenient to replace the chassis with a good one, but locating one really isn't as simple as you think. The cars themselves are few and far between, and good cars (which would have good chassis) wont be available for scrapping. If at all you do find one, chances are it won't be much better than the current one.

In the case of my Fiat, for example, it is a different ball game, they are easily available even in good shape. Regarding the number, I don't think there is a stamp on the frame itself, but I could be mistaken. I know for a fact on the Fiats it is not present (as that is a half chassis anyway).
Old 17th February 2010, 12:16   #105
Senior - BHPian

One workshop in Bangalore (Popular Automobiles) the one with NSU Prinz, had in past have made a full new chassis for the herald for one of the hyderabad customer. the old chassis is still lying with the workshop.

Most Viewed