Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 10:32   #121
Senior - BHPian

Watiing for an update. It would good to see this stanher in full glory.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:11   #122
BHPian

Any updated pics of the stanher, stanher?
Old 6th March 2010, 01:16   #123
Senior - BHPian

It's a bright idea of re structuring the chassis by the 'U' shaped tubular support, Shyam have through look for weak places or to be weak points in future, are you also getting the 'U' shaped tubes welded on the top aswell and would you be getting electrically welded or would it be a spot welding?

By the time the chassis is getting/will be done are you thinking about something else for the car to get done like the seats, engine etc.

I am clueless of what happened to the cars which used to be parked besides SBH bank opp to Chermas garments, I doubt they must have ended at the scrap yard I am praying you should get a healthy chassis but the scrap yard market is so fast "if sold fine if not they scrap it". If not the cars atleast the chassis would get a good caretaker.
Old 6th March 2010, 14:13   #124
Senior - BHPian

Sir Shyam some updates would be good.
Old 6th March 2010, 21:06   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sir Shyam some updates would be good.
Sorry friends, you will have to be patient for a while! My net connection at home has conked out once again, and I'm at the end of my patience with this lousy service!

I have decided to switch to what I've heard of as a better connection, it will take some time until I'm online regularly again! (Right now typing from a net cafe in our society, so cant upload pics. etc here in this system)

So just do be patient in the meanwhile! As Arny Schwarzenegger says, A'll be baaakkk!!
Old 12th March 2010, 01:03   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Arny strikes baakkk!!

OK, so out with a brief but significant update this time!

The work had momentarily been stopped with the garage guys being busy with other cars.

The new metal sections for the outriggers had been cut out and shaped to fit the rear outriggers.

It turns out that the old sections that were rusted are not going to cut off afterall, only the area surrounding the corrosion is, and the new metal sections are welded on, overlapping the existing frame.

More as work progresses.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5379.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5385.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5386.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5387.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5388.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_5391.jpg
Old 15th March 2010, 22:44   #127
BHPian

Hi Stanher,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Won't adding extra sheet over the chassis bars change the thickness of the bars. Won't it create problems when the other parts are assembled?
Old 15th March 2010, 23:22   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Won't adding extra sheet over the chassis bars change the thickness of the bars. Won't it create problems when the other parts are assembled?
I did have the same doubt in my mind, but the garage guys say they refrain from cutting off the entire old rails and welding on complete new rails directly, as it'll tend to distort the overall alignment of the rails. Anyways, let me clarify from them again.
Old 15th March 2010, 23:50   #129
Senior - BHPian

Going good Shyam ! Each post in this thread has something to learn..
I wish Team-BHP had a "like" button, just like facebook - I would've pressed it each time I checked a post on this thread
Old 16th March 2010, 01:34   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
Hi Stanher,

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Won't adding extra sheet over the chassis bars change the thickness of the bars. Won't it create problems when the other parts are assembled?
I don't think so, here strengthening the place where the corrossion has taken place and its just few MM sheet which is welded on it should not make much difference.

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Yes it would make difference in the overall weight of the car. Shyam you are making her Standard Schwarzenegger in terms of strength. I guess RC book needs a correction in regards to the unladen weight..He he he "Solid Build hai Bhai" (Just kidding) all the best.

Last edited by chanu : 16th March 2010 at 01:36.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:15   #131
BHPian

thanks to you i am learning a lot about the internal structure of the herald. very useful info besides being interesting. resto threads are my favourite kind on tbhp. btw did u chek out tonrag's thread on the chevy fleetmasters resto???very interesting stuff

and btw i dont see how sandblasting is expensive. you can buy the gun hook it up to a compressor and do the sandblasting yourself.i dont think industrial level sand blasting equipment would be required. i bought this equipment myself and used it on my bikes engine housing before painting it. i had bought a compressor and a spray gun 4-5 years ago to paint my fiat. i just bought the sandblasting gun for another 500, some sand and a n 95 mask (respiratory protection is very important unless you want silicosis and wanna go in for a lung transplant) and i was ready to go.

since you cant use sodium hydroxide on aluminium for removing paint , this was the only option and lemme tell you its effective, and the finish of the surface is very uniform. try it out.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/pu...cover-redo.cfm this is the link to the page which gave me the idea of sandblasting. my gun looks very different though

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 16th March 2010 at 11:30.
Old 16th March 2010, 15:35   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
thanks to you i am learning a lot about the internal structure of the herald. very useful info besides being interesting. resto threads are my favourite kind on tbhp. btw did u chek out tonrag's thread on the chevy fleetmasters resto???very interesting stuff
Thanks! Yes, of course I had viewed tonrag's chevy thread! Very commendable job he did with the few resources he had.

Quote:
and btw i dont see how sandblasting is expensive. you can buy the gun hook it up to a compressor and do the sandblasting yourself.i dont think industrial level sand blasting equipment would be required. i bought this equipment myself and used it on my bikes engine housing before painting it.
I guess DIY is a good option. But since jai wasnt keen on sandblasting anyways, I dropped the idea. 'might be worth trying on my other project!
But I do intend to use ortho-phosphoric acid, which turns rust black on applying, as done by another team bhpian, albeit on an SS80:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1726840-post817.html
Old 18th March 2010, 22:42   #133
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shyam

Work seems to be going well. One thing i wanted to ask is that did you guys treat the chassis before starting the welding of the sheet on top of it?Incase you do not then the corrosion will still continue to happen under the sheet you are welding now and you will have a flase sense of security that all is well.
Old 19th March 2010, 00:31   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Work seems to be going well. One thing i wanted to ask is that did you guys treat the chassis before starting the welding of the sheet on top of it?Incase you do not then the corrosion will still continue to happen under the sheet you are welding now and you will have a flase sense of security that all is well.
Thanks Indrojit- as for treating the chassis, I did suggest using caustic soda and (ortho) phosphoric acid to apply on the chassis before the patchwork but the garage guys say if we apply any of that and it enters into the inside of the chassis rails, it would tend to eat into the insides etc.!
I still feel ortho phos. wouldnt harm the metal and would only eat away the rust. I still intend to treat the whole chassis once finished with it, with it before they coat it with even primer etc.
Old 19th March 2010, 16:53   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks Indrojit- as for treating the chassis, I did suggest using caustic soda and (ortho) phosphoric acid to apply on the chassis before the patchwork but the garage guys say if we apply any of that and it enters into the inside of the chassis rails, it would tend to eat into the insides etc.!
I still feel ortho phos. wouldnt harm the metal and would only eat away the rust. I still intend to treat the whole chassis once finished with it, with it before they coat it with even primer etc.
Not a problem sir . I think it should be done now at this stage before the metal sheet being welded on.I am sure there are some more ways to treat the chassis. Why don't you look at those and even i will try and find out for you. But till then i would say put a hault on the current patch work.Later you don't want trouble with a thing like the chassis once every thing is done. The corrosion has to be stopped on the chassis before!

Its just my point of view on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks