Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 22:20   #196
BANNED

I am a new member of teambhp, and read your posts with a lot of interest.I have also restored two heralds.There were some problems with spares but ultimately these were
solved.Clutch and brake master cylinder kits were not available so these were replaced
with bolero master cylinders.The dynamo was replaced with an alternator which had to be rewound as herald has a positive earth.Fuel tank unit is from ambassador car with the float wire bent to accommodate it.There is a site rimmerbros.com in uk who have a
complete list of spares.Shall post pictures when i become eligible to do so.
Old 27th May 2010, 05:17   #197
BHPian

Hey shyam , i need some info from you on how to use NaOH to clean up a metals surface off paint and rust. You get chunks of NaOH from the market, which cant be applied directly to the metal surface. Do you dissolve it in water to make a paste or do you dissolve it completely to the liquid state and how long do you have to keep it this way to clean the surface and not corrode the metal?

Basically the whole procedure.

Also i read somewhere that you imported engine mounts for the herald?

Thats unecessary, check out the links

How to make Home Made Motor Mounts

How to Make Fill Your Engine Mounts With Window Weld - Solid Mounts

3M India : 3M Automotive Aftermarket : Glass Shop

This is what i will be using from now on; where the mounts are unavailable

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 27th May 2010 at 05:21.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:00   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Resto: Standstill as I'm yet to receive the rest of the payment currently asked for the bodywork to hand over to the garage. They too are now busy anyways, with weddings going on their family, even today! So I guess its all a sign to wait until my exams are done and I get some breathing space!
OK guys, so finally I've got some breathing space with my exams being over today!!!

'went straight down to the garage as soon as I was done this afternoon (), as they told me they were going to start painting the diff. and rear axles of the car in the dull+glossy black shade they had again.
So checked out the work today. 'looks good now! Front suspension to be tackled next.

My mech. also got the rear shocks reconditioned.

Also new floorpans for the ones that needed replacement have been fabricated. They've red-oxided the underside, but I'm thinking of getting the inner sides zinc-primered, same as the chassis. Then get it covered in PAINT when the car gets repainted, rather than put the 'pitch' as they suggest. In any case, this was how it was on these cars originally anyways.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6118.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6119.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6121.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6122.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6114.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6115.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
I am a new member of teambhp, and read your posts with a lot of interest.I have also restored two heralds.There were some problems with spares but ultimately these were
solved.Clutch and brake master cylinder kits were not available so these were replaced
with bolero master cylinders.

Shall post pictures when i become eligible to do so.
Hi hps! Welcome aboard! Nice to find another Heralding gent here!

Clutch and Brake m.c from a BOLERO?!! Wow, in some cases we Indians sure could give the Cubans a run for their money I feel, when it comes to indigenous spares for classics!!
BtW I read that you frequent rimmerbros.co.uk? You can find clutch and brake cylinder kits with them. Or even with canleyclassics.com, but those turn out to be TVS ones from India!
you're welcome to post pics. of your cars! You can do so in the "Standard cars in India thread":

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ars-india.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
Hey shyam , i need some info from you on how to use NaOH to clean up a metals surface off paint and rust. You get chunks of NaOH from the market, which cant be applied directly to the metal surface. Do you dissolve it in water to make a paste or do you dissolve it completely to the liquid state and how long do you have to keep it this way to clean the surface and not corrode the metal?

Also i read somewhere that you imported engine mounts for the herald?

Thats unecessary, check out the links

How to make Home Made Motor Mounts

How to Make Fill Your Engine Mounts With Window Weld - Solid Mounts

This is what i will be using from now on; where the mounts are unavailable
NaOH = Caustic soda right? (a.k.a Sodium Hydroxide? Sorry my knowledge of chemistry has faded away after I took arts in my degree onwards! Hehe!)

Yes you get pieces in the market, you have to dissolve them in water and make into complete liquid as I understand how they do it. I'll be glad to find out the duration it needs to be left on from my garage guys. But make sure you NEVER apply it on places where the chassis no./engine no. plate is there. Or else if its inevitable, take off the plate before they apply otherwise it'll eat away the entire writings on the plates!

Uh, I never imported engine mounts! I did get them locally. But very rare now.

Interesting and informative sites btw, thanks! Worth a try once at least IMHO.

Last edited by Stanher : 27th May 2010 at 17:16.
Old 27th May 2010, 17:16   #199
BHPian

Yaya...NaOH IS caustic soda. Please do find out how long to keep it and if you really dissolve it completely or only till it becomes a paste. I have my doubts about the not so viscous liquid sticking to the body surface so in my opinion its likely to be paste. But do find out from the garage guys. Since they have done it.

Guess you imported something and seperately got the mounts and i combined the two.

That looks like a smooth finish, very different from wht i have seen on suspension components. brilliant job yaar

Also the floor pans ...can you find out how your garage wala made the channels or ribs that provide rigidity and are used to drain water.
They can be made using this specilised machine but is there a way to do it manually cuz i doubt your garage guy used the bending machine. if its a manual apparatus then can you put up its pics? id like to know cuz i kneed to do it myself.

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 27th May 2010 at 17:18.
Old 30th May 2010, 15:32   #200
Senior - BHPian

Good to see the work is going on at a good. So Mr. Shyam what is next on the cards ?
Old 30th May 2010, 22:06   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yaya...NaOH IS caustic soda. Please do find out how long to keep it and if you really dissolve it completely or only till it becomes a paste. I have my doubts about the not so viscous liquid sticking to the body surface so in my opinion its likely to be paste. But do find out from the garage guys. Since they have done it.
Ok I asked my garage guys. They confirmed my guess that its Not a paste but liquid only, ie. mixed in water then applied. Paste would be too complex to rinse off they say.

Quote:
That looks like a smooth finish, very different from wht i have seen on suspension components. brilliant job yaar
Thanks! I'm glad it turned out well too.

Quote:
Also the floor pans ...can you find out how your garage wala made the channels or ribs that provide rigidity and are used to drain water.
They can be made using this specilised machine but is there a way to do it manually cuz i doubt your garage guy used the bending machine. if its a manual apparatus then can you put up its pics?
OK I actually got to see him doing it the other day- by hand! He actually put out a chisel sideways and gently but systematically hammered it along horizontally and voila! No pics. as I didnt have my camera when I went that day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Good to see the work is going on at a good. So Mr. Shyam what is next on the cards ?
TBD (To be decided!)..although my mech. wants to reassemble the rear suspension for now. Still awaiting the rest of the payment from owner, the garage guys say they intend to carry on nevertheless; the bodyshell will be taken in to be worked on and the chassis out this week.
PS: There is an update (on my other project) posted "eshpeshally" for you...hehe!

Last edited by Stanher : 30th May 2010 at 22:13.
Old 30th May 2010, 22:56   #202
BHPian

About the caustic soda bit. how long do i leave it on?

Looks like your mech is a skilled guy. Few peopl know the technique to do the channels by hand. This maybe asking too much but can you ask him to do it again while you take a video? There are too many variables, tip type of chisel, how the sheet is supported, how and with what force it is struck etc etc.since all the floor pans are done, you would probably have to get it done on an extra metal sheet. It would be of great help if you could do this.
Old 30th May 2010, 23:15   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
About the caustic soda bit. how long do i leave it on?
Looks like your mech is a skilled guy. Few peopl know the technique to do the channels by hand. This maybe asking too much but can you ask him to do it again while you take a video? It would be of great help if you could do this.
Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot to add- it has to be on only overnight, ie. if you're applying it today evening, it should be left on tonight then taken off tomorrow morning. Else it will eat away the metal!

Sure, why not? I dont mind taking a video. 'not sure how long I can with my camera though but will definitely do my best.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:10   #204
Senior - BHPian

So whats the progress ?
Old 31st May 2010, 23:19   #205
BANNED

i had ordered clutch and brake mc from rimmerbros, but it was not in stock at that time.so i was making do with bolero.there were hardly any heralds in this area so the spares are almost impossible to come by.i am ordering tail lights and some other parts also from rimmerbros.
you are doing a fantastic job on your car.hope to see the complete pictures soon.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:51   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This maybe asking too much but can you ask him to do it again while you take a video? There are too many variables, tip type of chisel, how the sheet is supported, how and with what force it is struck etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Sure, why not? I dont mind taking a video. 'not sure how long I can with my camera though but will definitely do my best.
Quote:
So whats the progress ?
Haha, I knew you'd be an eager beaver!!

Well sorry MCB, but I couldnt manage to take a video of him at work. Now all the replacement floorboards are done too! Oh well, there is always a next time, especially with me!

Here are the 2 bad floorboards on the right replaced with the new already. New one/s to go on the left.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6200.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6201.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6202.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6206.jpg

The old ones. The accelerator pedal bracket needs to be fabricated though (see pic.)

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6203.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6207.jpg
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:45   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

More updates! Now the left front floorboard is being worked on. This is by far the worst in shape of all the boards, and the guy pointed out that there had been some shoddy work done on it earlier- instead of replacing the entire rotten floorboard/pan, a new sheet had been welded on over the existing ones, resulting in excessive thickness but not any better rigidity!

So now the entire pan is cut off from the edges, leaving room for the complete replacement sheet.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6208.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6210.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6212.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6213.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6215.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6218.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6221.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6222.jpg

Also part of the rear suspension refitted, albeit temporarily. 'looks good already!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6223.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6224.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6225.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6226.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6227.jpg

What remains is the left rear axle and rear spring. The latter, as you can see, is as bad in shape as the rest of the suspension was, caked with ages of mud and muck! This is to be sorted out next.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6228.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6229.jpg
Old 3rd June 2010, 00:56   #208
Senior - BHPian

Stanher back in action

Glad to see Standard shaping up. I still remember the days when there we discussion about the rotten/rusted chassis and I guess there were opnions about replacing the entiere chassis with another but now Voila!! the same chassis is embedded with rear suspension. Thats were you stand apart Stanguru.

On a lighter side this car is getting so much of metal work done I guess she is gonna become a Standard tank, just kidding. She is getting all what she deserves.

Shyam how about a visit to the herald sometime I was discussing.
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:58   #209
Senior - BHPian

Now it seems that the car is shaping up slowly and steadyly. The other think i observed in post number #206 was the welding system that is being done on the floor boards.It can be seen that he is doing Oxygen Gas welding and it seems he is melting solder to join the two panels. Could you just clarify this with your welder?
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:14   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Shyam how about a visit to the herald sometime I was discussing.
Sure, I'm ready to go there even today!

Could you again give me the directions to that place btw? Incidentally, my mech. was told of a Herald put up at a dealer's a little ahead of Mehdipatnam a few days ago. I presume it has to be the same car you saw. But he says he went to that area and couldnt find the car even on asking a few dealers there. I presume Attapur is even further ahead.

Quote:
The other think i observed in post number #206 was the welding system that is being done on the floor boards.It can be seen that he is doing Oxygen Gas welding and it seems he is melting solder to join the two panels. Could you just clarify this with your welder?
Um, yes it is gas welding. What exactly do you advise me to clarify btw?

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd June 2010 at 10:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks