Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 00:42   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry again for the long pause! Back with further updates-

The bodyshell, following the patchwork on one side of the flooring, had been put straight, and then flipped over onto the other (left) side to complete the work on the right side bottom.

Also the rear suspension parts and front suspension towers that were to be painted have been painted black now. Now to fit new bushes on the springs and balance rod and they are ready to fit.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6537.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6551.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6559.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6560.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6567.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6568.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6554.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6563.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6566.jpg
Old 1st July 2010, 22:31   #272
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the latest updates. I can't wait to see the car back in action. Although this is the firs time I've posted on this thread, I've always kept track of the restoration.

Today, was reminded of the thread while going through a Jeep thread. Check out this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...tml#post754149

In one of the pictures, a Herald seems to be peeking through
Old 1st July 2010, 22:51   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thanks for sharing the latest updates. I can't wait to see the car back in action. Although this is the firs time I've posted on this thread, I've always kept track of the restoration.

Today, was reminded of the thread while going through a Jeep thread. Check out this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...tml#post754149

In one of the pictures, a Herald seems to be peeking through
Thanks!
Things have slowed down a bit lately here....but will be back on course soon I'm sure!

The Herald in that pic. is possibly one of the best in Hyderabad, or even in the country! Its a former royalty-owned car, in MINT condition! 'was incidentally the first Herald I ever sat in!

Last edited by Stanher : 1st July 2010 at 22:58.
Old 1st July 2010, 23:28   #274
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Thanks!
Things have slowed down a bit lately here....but will be back on course soon I'm sure!

The Herald in that pic. is possibly one of the best in Hyderabad, or even in the country! Its a former royalty-owned car, in MINT condition! 'was incidentally the first Herald I ever sat in!
That slowdown thingy is a real irritant. You know it puts back the pace by a month.

But must say, the way its being done up, this car will be the talk of the town

All the best Shyam.
Old 6th July 2010, 21:12   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
But must say, the way its being done up, this car will be the talk of the town

All the best Shyam.
Thanks pavan (and sorry about the late reply too! )

Not much going on lately, but thought I'd post some updates of what has been atleast.

Front suspension disassembled and was today cleaned with kerosene and kept aside to be refurbished. I was told that the tie-rod ends/ball-joints on one side are gone. One of the front shocks is gone too. I do have some new replacements though. 'also likely to need replacing are the front trunnion kits (shown with arrow) on the backplates, which I also have (imported from UK via ebay)

But more satisfying was the replacing of the rear axle spring "eye" bushes (pair)

The old bushes required to be taken out and new ones fitted with lathe machine equipment. Luckily there is a shop just 2 shops away from the garage, so could get it done in a trice!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6577.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6578.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6580.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6582.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6609.jpg

The old bushes get pushed out from the spring 'eye'......and the new ones in!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6583.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6586.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6587.jpg

Compare the condition of the old bushes with the new! They must've been on the spring for 2 decades atleast!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6584.jpg

Now the rear spring is ready to fit, and thereafter the other halfshaft too, which will be done in the next couple of days.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6585.jpg
Old 6th July 2010, 21:42   #276
Senior - BHPian

Good to see some update on the car. Looks like the suspension work will be over in a week or two. BTW that bush is pushed to the limits.
Old 13th July 2010, 00:26   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, more updates for today- the treadplate on the left side was replaced today, welding yet to be completed.

'wasnt too happy about the surface rust formation on the floorpans (as seen) though and pointed it out to them.

And the other rear axle halfshaft was finally fitted today, on obtaining of brand new TVS bolts with 'locking' Nyloc-lined nut. Note: These are VERY practical to use on Heralds, as the nuts on these bolts dont tend to come off loose while running so they arrest chances of the familiar problem of the half-shafts coming apart from the diff. that Heralds were infamous for in our country!
All the total no. of bolts required for the rear axle/diff. were bought and the ones for both the half-shafts (4 + 4) were fitted today.

These bolts are also of the correct size as the original would've been (forgot the exact size mentioned, sorry!), which is again important, as using bolts which are longer in length is not only risky but even getting them off when needed would be a major PAIN! as you will see in the following pics.!

'also tried fitting the rear spring today itself..........only to find that the rectangular plate that comes on top at the centre through the long bolts on the top of the difff., to hold the spring in place, was misplaced and couldnt be found!!

It would be lying around there somewhere for sure, but will have to search more. My mech. said he'd find a replacement meanwhile, following which the rear spring should be refitted tomorrow. Then the rear shocks have to be given for refurbishment if they are still repairable.

Incidentally, I will be out of 'action' after tomorrow as I have a nasal septum surgery to undergo on wed. It will be over the same day although I've been advised rest for 1 week!! 'hope I recover sooner, I sure will miss all this fun! :((

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6621.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6632.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6633.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6635.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6636.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6637.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6661.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6642.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6645.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6647.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6660.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6646.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6663.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6665.jpg

As you can see the tiny arrow I put here, this distance between the flange retaining bolt and nut on the diff. casing should be carefully maintained. Which is using wrong length bolts can cause real danger!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6668.jpg

Replacing the bolts on the RH halfshaft- due to the incorrect length of the non-original bolts, it proved difficult to take them off. So a couple of em had to be sawed off!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6669.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6672.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6674.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6649.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6652.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6653.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6655.jpg
Old 13th July 2010, 08:48   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - the nominal size of the driveshaft bolts of the herald is M8*1.25. Please ensure 100% that the bolt grade that you use in this application is 12.9 or alternate 10.8 only. Normally shopkeepers will give you 8.8 grade bolts. They are OK for general applications but for torque transfer, it is compulsary to use 12.9 or 10.9 grade bolts only. If you do not get 12.9 grade bolts in hexagonal head, you may find them in allen head cap bolts used by die makers. You can use them because if they can hold a die together, they can certainly perform this application. These bolts are regularly made by TVS fasteners and you should not have a problem procuring them. Please DO NOT use 8.8 grade in this application, no matter what anybody says. Also, please use OE nuts procured from TVS fasteners only. "TVS" marking is etched on the thread face.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 13th July 2010, 16:04   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
the nominal size of the driveshaft bolts of the herald is M8*1.25. Please ensure 100% that the bolt grade that you use in this application is 12.9 or alternate 10.8 only. Normally shopkeepers will give you 8.8 grade bolts. They are OK for general applications but for torque transfer, it is compulsary to use 12.9 or 10.9 grade bolts only.
These bolts are regularly made by TVS fasteners and you should not have a problem procuring them. Please DO NOT use 8.8 grade in this application, no matter what anybody says. Also, please use OE nuts procured from TVS fasteners only. "TVS" marking is etched on the thread face.
Thank you for pointing out this sir. I have confirmed that the new bolts fitted are the M8*1.25 size, and TVS made. But pardon my ignorance, I didn't really get what is meant by 'grade'- is it the thickness? Is it possible to tell the grade by looking at the pics.? I have asked my mech. to find out that from the shop he bought them nevertheless.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:38   #280
Senior - BHPian

Hi Shyam, I vaguely recall that either Behram Sir or One of our senior Bhpian has also made a valid argument on welding of floor plates in another thread. The welding at floor plates needs attention.

Whats the story with that white Herald in the background?

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 13th July 2010 at 16:42.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:58   #281
Senior - BHPian

Grade of Fasteners

Grade is generally used to refer a fastener rather than a particular steel. For e.g. 8.8 bolt, it is made from a quenched and tempered alloy steel, either carbon or stainless. Grade 8.8 means bolts having an Ultimate Tensile Strength of 800 N/mm2 and a yield stress which is 80% of this value (800x0.8= 640 N/mm2).

For further info read this-> Grades of Bolts

Attaching a pic for more clarity.

Spike
Attached Thumbnails
Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-grade.jpg  

Old 13th July 2010, 17:25   #282
BHPian

high tensile bolts.

@shyam - to make it more simpler just ask for high tensile bolts, these are usually not available at automobile spare parts shops, you will them in shops which sell industrial fasteners.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:27   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
I vaguely recall that either Behram Sir or One of our senior Bhpian has also made a valid argument on welding of floor plates in another thread. The welding at floor plates needs attention.

Whats the story with that white Herald in the background?
It was Indrojit Sircar. He was referring to the method of welding (ie. the electrode used) but then I didnt really get him. 'also found out that the method of welding used is the most common one, so decided to get on with it.
Also that's not a Herald in the background but a GAZEL. You can see/read more of it in this post of mine:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1944280-post1129.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Grade is generally used to refer a fastener rather than a particular steel.

For further info read this-> Grades of Bolts
Thanks for the info spike. Unfortunately, I've come home else I would've got to check the grade mentioned on the bolts at the garage! Nevertheless, I've called up my mech. and asked him to find out from the shop.
Old 13th July 2010, 17:42   #284
Senior - BHPian

Shyam,

ariesonu might be referring to my thread in which Behram has commented on the welding. The thing is they do this kind of welding in spots and tell us this is the way originally it was done in factory.

Spot welding as done in factory was done by a maachine with two temprature probs to join the two sheet metals and the mating surfaces were parallel to each other.

The same set up is not present while doing with these tinkers and so we have to do full welding. And from the pictures you posted it looks like the welding is done in spots.

P.S.: Next two weeks I am not there in Bangalore, so I will not have a chance to look at body sealer. I will get back to you once I have more info.

Last edited by manishalive : 13th July 2010 at 17:44.
Old 17th July 2010, 10:31   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the pause, but I've had a nasal surgery this week, from which I'm still recovering. So havent gone out anywhere after tuesday (when these pics. I'm posting here were taken) but spoke to my mech. that day reg. the axle bolts. He says the grade was mentioned as 10.7 when he checked at the shop?
Anyways, not in a position to check them myself for now. Also got a call from the garage guys yesterday, they say the welding on the flooring is done on the underside, and they've zinc-primered it, and to apply the anti-rust paint next.
Inside of the flooring to be finished thereafter and then given same treatment.
Front suspension also ready to be done up. A bend in one of the wishbones/forks was noticed.

'will be going for a splint removal on monday, following which I'll be fit and fine again, to post further updates.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6680.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6681.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6682.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6683.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6685.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_6686.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 17th July 2010 at 10:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks