Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 09:47   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks bala! Only thing is the work has slowed down lately because of Vitamin M deficiency from the owner, who has assured to send it 'soon'...!

'hope it is supplied this week so things can pick up full speed. Of course I'm a bit busy myself with other work of my own this week, but still hope to atleast bring it to the stage of fitting the body onto the chassis.
Old 2nd August 2010, 12:33   #302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I'm not sure if I got this- a Herald has a chassis too, as can be seen here!

I suggest you try and advise your friend to go for a Herald- they are much more attractive, more popular plus spares are at least available from abroad, unlike the Gazel which was made only in India.
What he means is a fixed differential,because he had a herald with a perpetual axle problem.Now he wants to transplant a herald body on a gazel chassis.Tried to dissuade him but he want s to give it a try.Any suggestions.
Old 2nd August 2010, 18:35   #303
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
What he means is a fixed differential,because he had a herald with a perpetual axle problem.Now he wants to transplant a herald body on a gazel chassis.Tried to dissuade him but he want s to give it a try.Any suggestions.
Not really worth the try, he may end up ruining 2 cars! There is a difference in the Gazel and Herald chassis, so the underbody also will most likely be different.

At the most he can change the rear axle to a Standard 10 one, although that will result in poor rear handling and a bit higher ground clearance at the rear. A few people here have done it to Heralds.

I was told by the garage people that the perpetual axle problems with Heralds arises only when/if the chassis is bent/misaligned even slightly at the rear, which happens with rough/extensive driving on our average roads. Most mechanics were unable to identify this and would blame the axle.
Even so, this problem can be arrested with the use of locking nuts on the rear axle bolts, as I have done.
Old 10th August 2010, 21:39   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, some progress for now- 'been real busy this week mainly due to my LD! But still managed to get some work done today, mainly because the garage guys are insisting on getting the body onto the chassis since the underside is done too, and so it'll give them more space again.

The underside has been coated in the anti-rust black (no 3M though!)

And today I saw the mech. getting the mounting holes in the right suspension tower drilled better, as it had some mounting problems with the new bolts. These are quite crucial as they support the entire front suspension. Now it seems to fit allright.

The front forks/wishbones, upper and lower, have been aligned and in shape now. Unfortunately they ended up getting painted during the process as well! Not really the way I would've liked them done, but anyways, thought I might as well get on with it!

Next, got all the bushes replaced on them with brand new imported ones. At first, my mech. had a panic attack when he found the new bushes 'smaller' in size than the existing ones! Only to have one bush removed and examined, and realise that it was because of the wear and tear that the old bushes got all distorted at the ends and appeared bigger from outside!!

One can make out the actual size with the bush taken out, in the pic.

So that sure was a relief!!

Incidentally, the lathe guys were quite curious and interested to know what car these parts belonged to, and where I got the bushes from...and when I told them, one of them asked "Yeh koi parsi ki gaadi hai kya?"

Front wishbones now ready to fit, with all new bushes!

Meanwhile, the front coil springs have been given for resetting as well. Planning to paint these in a different colour though, so told my mech. to see to it that the guys dont paint them up!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7038.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7040.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7094.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7097.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7098.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7103.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7105.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7107.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7108.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7112.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7114.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7117.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7109.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 10th August 2010 at 21:44.
Old 12th September 2010, 11:38   #305
BHPian

Hey Stanher!

Its been over a month now and no updates?? :( are you busy with something more important??
Old 13th September 2010, 14:24   #306
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hey Stanher!

Its been over a month now and no updates?? :( are you busy with something more important??
A thousand apologies, yes I have been...with too many things infact! Plus I need the original steering boots on either side, for which I happened to be sent the wrong ones! So work has been at a halt. 'will resume this week onwards.

Last edited by Stanher : 13th September 2010 at 14:27.
Old 16th September 2010, 20:57   #307
BHPian

Hey!

Where are you getting the bolts from? Don't worry, if the wrong ones have arrived, so will the right ones!!

Cheers!
Old 16th September 2010, 21:46   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where are you getting the bolts from? Don't worry, if the wrong ones have arrived, so will the right ones!!
Quote:
Plus I need the original steering boots on either side, for which I happened to be sent the wrong ones! So work has been at a halt.
Boss, I said BOOTS, the rubber boots for the steering rack, not bolts!

I was sent them by the car's owner.

The originals look like this:

TRIUMPH Spitfire Herald TR6 STEERING RACK GAITERS BOOTS: eBay Motors (item 190435315294 end time Sep-25-10 15:46:01 PDT)
Old 27th September 2010, 22:30   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Back to work!

After what might've seemed like an eternal silence, am finally back with an update!

Finally, on much pestering by me and the garage guys, my mech. took out time to set to work on this car today. Now proceeding with completing the front suspension so the car would for now be on 4 wheels atleast, with the body fitted back onto the chassis. It would then atleast tend to take up less space than it is now with the body and chassis separated, before proceeding with further work.

Front drums/hubs both disassembled. Unfortunately, turns out that the corner of the garage where the parts were stored had a leak from the tin-roof, so some water entered into the drums!

Luckily they didnt end up lying there too long!

Both the front hubs to be refaced and fitted with new bearings/seals. The front axle trunnions also to have new bushes, going by the condition of the existing ones.

Also a significant amount of play (arrowed) was found between the axle and trunnion, which can be set right.

On taking up the steering rack today, it was found that the tie-rod ends and ball-joints on both ends needed replacements. I do have an NOS pair of tie-rod ends that I had bought off a friend in Bangalore a few years ago. But I need the ball-joints. A local shop that has some spares siad they dont have them as yet.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7624.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7625.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7628.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7632.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7629.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7630.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7633.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 27th September 2010 at 22:32.
Old 28th September 2010, 20:08   #310
BHPian

Hey Stan!

Good to see that update from you! I think you have taken up a job, right? Ho is everything back at the new office? And how are you managing work and the work on car?

All the best for both of them as both are a priority, right?

Cheers!
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:15   #311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Good to see that update from you! I think you have taken up a job, right? Ho is everything back at the new office? And how are you managing work and the work on car?

All the best for both of them as both are a priority, right?
Firstly, sorry for not having replied to your post until now- my PC's OS had crashed just the next day and had to format/reinstall a complete new OS!!
Added to that, I couldnt log into my net even thereafter...the Cust. service people at the godforsaken net service I use were not able to help me out for the last 3 days until today! And it turned out to be a simple procedure!!

Yes, I have a new job now, first time in my life am into a full-time job! And the shifts keep changing too. But worst case, I still have (any) 2 days in the week off plus I can squeeze some time in before leaving for work/after returning from work (depending on shift timings) to check on this.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:09   #312
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Stanher, you are receiving compliments from unexpected quarters linky
Old 5th October 2010, 14:08   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stanher, you are receiving compliments from unexpected quarters linky
GTO,

I am not too sure if its all complements excepting one post. Typical reaction to anthing Indian ot atleast to things that are not usually associated with Indians (like restoring classic/vintage vehicles).

Shyam is doing a yeomen job for Stanhers and we don't need any seal of aproval for that. Do we Stan ?

Good to note that TBHP threads are getting noticed.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 5th October 2010, 14:21   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stanher, you are receiving compliments from unexpected quarters
Wow, that was very touching indeed, thanks GTO! Feels great to have some 'unknown' admirers too! Very motivating as well.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:39   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, that was very touching indeed, thanks GTO! Feels great to have some 'unknown' admirers too! Very motivating as well.
Yes, and their appreciation of the tools being used and still the job being done. Way to go Stanher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks