Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 13:41   #316
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the delay in updating but been down in health this week!

And incidentally, found more to add to the 'hall of fame'......apparently this thread has been circulating via email across the world!

Bang Shift : : Great Read: A DIY Classic Car Restoration From India

Anyways, front backplates and trunnions fitted with new bearings/seals/bushes and fitted on. The earlier play is also gone. So this completes the refitting of the car's suspension. Steering rack still being worked on, trying to get the existing ball-joints reconditioned, it has to be done accordingly considering its a crucial steering part.

Also all brake piping to be cleaned and reconditioned then fitted back. Next to go on would be the running gear and the bodyshell would finally be remounted onto chassis.

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7661.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7662.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7663.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7664.jpg
Old 21st October 2010, 18:42   #317
Senior - BHPian

Shyam bhai any updates on the restoration project. Its been 12 days since you updated us.
Old 22nd October 2010, 10:48   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Shyam bhai any updates on the restoration project. Its been 12 days since you updated us.
All in due course, sir! Patience pays!

I might have an update today. I'm told the steering box is now fully done up and ready to be fitted. 'hope he brings it back today.
Old 22nd October 2010, 14:28   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
GTO,

I am not too sure if its all complements excepting one post. Typical reaction to anthing Indian ot atleast to things that are not usually associated with Indians (like restoring classic/vintage vehicles).

Shyam is doing a yeomen job for Stanhers and we don't need any seal of aproval for that. Do we Stan ?

Good to note that TBHP threads are getting noticed.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
No, its not all compliments...some snide remarks in there. Visiting this thread after a long time, and its great to see what Shyam's been upto...great going, man! And no, we do not need anyone's seal of approval...we restore our vehicles with ingenuity, and are not born with a silver screwdriver in the toolbox! Yet, we get the job done, and done well!
Edit: was just going through the remarks at http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...=288785&page=2. It is an insult to us and our love for automobiles...someone needs to warn them about making fun about whats happening on OUR Team-BHP.

Last edited by Sidman : 22nd October 2010 at 14:46.
Old 23rd October 2010, 13:35   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
No, its not all compliments...some snide remarks in there.
Edit: was just going through the remarks at Car restoration in India - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums. It is an insult to us and our love for automobiles..
Thanks sid!

Well, as for the remarks, I had not noticed these until you pointed out now....indeed some of them on a more personal level and not too pleasing. But anyways, we just need to get along doing our job, regardless of what anybody comments.

Coming back to where I'd left, the much-bothersome issue with the ball-joints had finally been sorted out and the steering box too all done and normal now.

The rack has finally been fitted, with replacement boots obtained as well- from my own Herald, to which I'll be fitting brand new original boots bought via ebay UK.

And these ones btw, are not original Herald boots for that matter but close to them. So this matter's solved as well!

Also my mech. showed me a small mod. he made to the steering box by getting a hole drilled through with a screw fitting made. This, he said, would make it far easier to oil/grease the box when needed, as opposed to otherwise having to open up the whole thing!

And now for another issue- turns out the tie-rod ends I had with me are NOT original, I was told they are not Herald ones at all in fact! :sigh:

The difference can be seen in the sizes of the original (left) vis-a-vis the new one!

But my mech. says he can still order original ones from a local shop, although it'd take a little time so the steering rack is not yet fully connected. 'also need rubber bushes for both the U-clamps, which I do have and they will be fitted during the final fitting.

Meanwhile one of the front wheel cylinders needs a new washer kit, which I may have.

And the front drums need new bearings as well. Plus the brake hose for the RH front wheel needs to be replaced......still quite some way to go!!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7696.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7697.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7695.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7703.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7704.jpg
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:39   #321
Senior - BHPian

Sidman,
That is actually a compliment, ask them to try and do a comprehensive restoration like Stanher's without the tools they use and it is they who will go back to the stone ages, not we.
Stanher,
I am regularly visiting your thread and admire the detailed work being carried out on your beauty, looking forward to the fully restored product, we all will be proud of.
Regards,
Old 23rd October 2010, 17:05   #322
Senior - BHPian

Shyam thanks for updating the thread with the pics and all. Regarding the tie-rod ends i wish you get the correct ones soon. The hole made in the steering box is a thoughtful idea but i am curious to know is there any negative aspect to it.
Old 23rd October 2010, 17:34   #323
BANNED

While the updates are showing rather slow pace of restoration.

I can understand what Shyam is undergoing right now.

Key to a successful restoration is flow of money. and the car owners interest.

Once either of them is delayed, the whole joy of restoration is lost.

This will only aggravate in increasing the restoration cost by a slight higher margin, as TIME IS MONEY.

Best of luck Shyam, hope to see this beauty completed soon.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:28   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
While the updates are showing rather slow pace of restoration.

I can understand what Shyam is undergoing right now.

Key to a successful restoration is flow of money. and the car owners interest.

Once either of them is delayed, the whole joy of restoration is lost.

This will only aggravate in increasing the restoration cost by a slight higher margin, as TIME IS MONEY.

Best of luck Shyam, hope to see this beauty completed soon.
Thanks Pavan for bringing me on to this thread! Actually I wanted my first post on this thread to be after Shyam completes the restoration and obviously for congratulating him but you made me act otherwise.

There was no reason for you to comment on my "lack of interest or the flow of money". So are you so sure that the project got delayed because of me and not for any other reason?

The reason why I wanted Shyam to do the restoration was obviously his expertise and attention to originality and also I was restoring 3 of my cars at that moment. Infact other than my Millecento the work on my Chrysler Windsor and Morris Minor is still on. Come December it would be 2 years since the work on my Chrysler was started and it has been 10 months since my tinker has stopped working on the Morris Minor. No amount of threatning to pull out the car or coaxing him to start the work has yeilded results. His last promise was that he will start work this week.

Anyway thank you once again Pavan for enlighting me on the delay. I will discuss with Shyam and soon find a way out for the speedy restoration.
Old 7th November 2010, 22:12   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for the delay again! I wish I could be back with much more to report on each update but every time a new challenge comes along!!

This time, we intended to finish off the front hub/drum assembly, then the tie-rod ends (I was told good used ones are available) then work on the brake pipes, but things turned out to get more put off this week!

It turned out that the existing wheel cylinders were all jammed, and needed to be opened up with new kits fitted. I did get one fitted in one of the cylinders last year but this time it seemed far too gone.

So all the wheel cylinders (2 on either hub) were opened up and I managed to get replacements for 2 of them, albeit they too had to be opened up with some heating. The opened up cylinder just needs a new washer kit plus a spring that is missing but am told it can be sourced.

Meanwhile, 2 of the brake shoes on either hub also need replacement! I think new shoes can be had here.

More later!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7736.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7738.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7740.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7745.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7765.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7766.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7741.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7737.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7744.jpg
Old 14th November 2010, 23:00   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like I have to put in an apology note in all my posts here by default- but my schedule's real hectic lately, even on the off-days...! And once home, I'm usually too tired to post updates/pics.!

Anyways, wheel cylinders on both front wheels restored with new kits (surprisingly all seem to be "MADE IN ENGLAND" ones!) and new brake shoes procured as well. Also both front drums fully restored and ready to fit as well- look better than new, a really good job done IMHO!

More later......hopefully soon!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7800.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7805.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7808.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7809.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7810.jpg
Old 21st November 2010, 22:54   #327
Distinguished - BHPian

Continued from my last post, the front backplates with redone wheel cylinders and new brake liners were both fitted over the weekend. As were the redone drums. One however, needs a new bearing and oil-seal still!!

But otherwise its all done and I actually intended to make the chassis back to a rolling one, ie. with all 4 wheels fitted, so atleast it can be moved around much easier when required. Especially considering that it'd rained a lot in the last few weeks here and in the process, the newly done front axle stubs had got corroded with the immovable propped-up chassis lying in the open!!
My mech. however, was not perturbed and managed to re-polish the studs with some 46 grade (IIRC) emery paper before reassembling the drums. So that's a relief!

Brake hose on one side also refitted. 'need one for the other (right) side.

Next to get all the brake pipes restored and made functional again to be reconnected as new ones are not available here.

Hopefully, I should get the chassis on 4 wheels as planned atleast by tomorrow!

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7894.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7893.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7900.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7901.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7903.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7917.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7907.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7919.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7928.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7925.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7929.jpg

Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!-img_7932.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 21st November 2010 at 22:57.
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:33   #328
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful !
By the looks of this, it looks like you're almost manufacturing a brand-new StanHer !!
Jokes apart, this is turning out to be one of the most systematic restorations on this forum - keep it up, Shyam !!
Old 22nd November 2010, 23:54   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Beautiful !
this is turning out to be one of the most systematic restorations on this forum - keep it up, Shyam !!
Thanks for your kind words, Ravi!

Hmm..systematic, maybe- but only wish it was steady as well, without the breaks/hold-ups in between! But still, it shouldnt stop one from persevering.

Further updates from tomorrow ('have to sleep early tonight as I've to go to work from tomorrow- 6am! so have to wake up at 4am!)

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd November 2010 at 00:03.
Old 11th January 2011, 23:15   #330
BANNED

Re: Resurrection of (a) Stanher by Stanher!

Its been 2 months Shyam Bhai.

My Herald is gone long back, and running fine. Need to update my thread sometime.

Whats the progress on this car.....?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks