Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2009, 22:03   #1

Importing a '73 LHD BMW?

I have searched the forum and spend a considerable amount of time reading the same posts from various people. From what I can tell everyone is pasting the same information from the same site.

With that said.. I am looking for some guidance from people who have experience or personally know people who have imported cars into India within the past year.

I am coming over with an employment visa and have a 1973 BMW which I would like to bring with me. Is there anyway the car can come with me and be registered / driven in Bangalore?

Looking at some of the Vintage Rally Pictures I noticed some LHD cars and was wondering how they got into the country. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st December 2009 at 22:59. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread. Thanks
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

You cannot import an LHD vehicle to india as it is not legally permitted since 2002 when the new policy framework came into force.
regarding how the LHD cars came to India,either they have come before the current rules came into force ,and the consulate/diplomat cars which have been auctioned after their use.
another set of LHD cars you may come across in recent times are the ones that have come via CARNET scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinaash.b View Post
I have searched the forum and spend a considerable amount of time reading the same posts from various people. From what I can tell everyone is pasting the same information from the same site.

With that said.. I am looking for some guidance from people who have experience or personally know people who have imported cars into India within the past year.

I am coming over with an employment visa and have a 1973 BMW which I would like to bring with me. Is there anyway the car can come with me and be registered / driven in Bangalore?

Looking at some of the Vintage Rally Pictures I noticed some LHD cars and was wondering how they got into the country. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by ajay99 : 22nd December 2009 at 17:01. Reason: grammatical error
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:21   #3
BHPian

So can we import RHD 70's vehicle to India?
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
I gues anything on wheels can be imported into India provided the steering wheel is on the right !

There might be restrictions on who is allowed to import what and different duty structures but if you are coming to India on a work visa I am sure you can bring any car you prefer as long as it is RHD.
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi

Well the first thing we need to knw is that wheather you are going to be based here permanently or not.If you are then is worth getting the car an indian registration but if you plan to stay here for some time and then go back with the car then you don't need to get the car an indian number on it.So please clarify about this first and even LHD cars can be brought in for sometime but not perminently.
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:05   #6

Thelength of stay is open, its going to be a min of 3 years.
Old 22nd December 2009, 22:07   #7

Adding to what Wasif has said courtesy :

Rules and Regulations For Importing Cars in India - Guidelines For Importing Cars in India - Procedure For Importing Cars in India

The import of second had or used vehicles shall be subject to the following conditions:-

(a) The second hand or used vehicle shall not be older than three years from the date of manufacture

(b) The second hand or used vehicle shall:
(i) have right hand steering, and controls (applicable on vehicles other than two and three wheelers);
(ii) have a speedometer indicating the speed km / h; and
(iii) have photometry of the headlamps to suit "keep left" traffic.

(c) In addition, the second hand or used vehicle shall conform to the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 and the rules made thereunder, as applicable, on the date of import.

(d) Import of second hand vehicles shall be allowed only through the customs port at Mumbai.

(e) The second hand or used vehicles imported into India should have a minimum roadworthiness for a period of 5 years from the date of importation into India with assurance for providing service facilities within the country during the five year period. For this purpose, the importer shall, at the time of importation, submit a declaration indicating the period of roadworthiness in respect of every individual vehicle being imported, supported by a certificate issued by any of the testing agencies, which the Central Government may notify in this regard.

(f) The vehicle has to be submitted for testing to Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE), Ahmednagar, of the Ministry of Defence or the Automotive Research Association of India, Pune or the Central Farm and Machinery Training and Testing Institute, Budni, Madhya Pradesh, and such other agencies as may be specified by the Central Government, for granting a certificate by that agency as to the compliance of the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and any rules made thereunder.
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinaash.b View Post
Thelength of stay is open, its going to be a min of 3 years.
Well I would suggest that you get a fix on how long you are here for because there is a provision in which you can bring your car under a bond.In that provision you don't need to register the car in india and can use it with the existing number plates on it.But The thing is bonds are issued for a certain period of time after which the car has to go back from where it came.You also have to pay a certan amount depending on the duration of the stay of your car.This is a similer way in which a 60-70's MG has been brought into india and is being used.It is a left hand drive as well.

The rules and regulations apply only when you decide to move the car from abroad to india for good and on a temporary basis you have a differnt set of rules.
Old 23rd December 2009, 07:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The import of second had or used vehicles shall be subject to the following conditions:-

(a) The second hand or used vehicle shall not be older than three years from the date of manufacture

So does the above rule mean that we cant get in old cars.

I have a 76 Ford Falcon here in Sydney Australia.I want to get that car to India at any cost.I dont mind getting the car on a full time or temporary basis.I am holding Indian Citizenship and dont have Australia PR status. Is dismantling the car and shipping it viable?
Old 23rd December 2009, 09:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is dismantling the car and shipping it viable?
I doubt it, as used/2nd hand parts are not allowed to be imported into India, penalty for which is 100% I was told! So bringing in the parts separately would easily identify them as used spares and would make Customs hold them up!
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

The best you can do if you are really attached to the car is to bring it in as household articles on TR and keep it as a display. This means you cannot register it but use it on private roads!

Last edited by canonball : 23rd December 2009 at 12:02.
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So does the above rule mean that we cant get in old cars.

I have a 76 Ford Falcon here in Sydney Australia.I want to get that car to India at any cost.I dont mind getting the car on a full time or temporary basis.I am holding Indian Citizenship and dont have Australia PR status. Is dismantling the car and shipping it viable?

You can get the car on a temporary basis for a term of 15years without geting the car re-registered so if you are ok on that you can proceed with that.
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
The best you can do if you are really attached to the car is to bring it in as household articles on TR and keep it as a display. This means you cannot register it but use it on private roads!
Quote:
You can get the car on a temporary basis for a term of 15years without geting the car re-registered so if you are ok on that you can proceed with that.

Thanks a lot for the info,yes I dont have a problem in getting it in that way,can you let me know as how can I do it.
Old 23rd December 2009, 15:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

You need to talk to/shortlist a local customs clearing and fwd company and instruct your shipping company in country of origin that this company will clear your goods locally. You country of origin mover will also have their own regular clearing guy who they should connect you with. If you need help with this PM and I will give you the right people.

Indorjit are you sure of the number of years! 15 years?! What is the procedure? any idea?
Old 24th December 2009, 00:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post

Indorjit are you sure of the number of years! 15 years?! What is the procedure? any idea?

Yes i am sure that the maximum time is 15 years.I am not too sure of the procedure but can try and find out.The MG in cal with the international number plates is here on a bond for 15 years.for sure and after that it will have to return.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks