Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2009, 22:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I understand here in Calcutta that older cars are exempt from this new law.
In Canada cars originally not equipped with seat belts are exempt, only newer cars with them and the fine to the driver,for both front and back seat passengers not wearing them is about R2000 each.
It happens to be the case even in the US and UK. 'makes a lot of sense as fitting seatbelts has a PURPOSE behind it, not just because the law makes it mandatory! It concerns the safety of the occupants, for which it has to be found perfectly safe/effective, which is possible only after undergoing lots of crash tests by the manufacturers, research etc. which is of course not possible in older cars. Unfortunately in AP, when it comes to issues like these, the authorities are more concerned about implementing the law rather than seeing the effectiveness behind it. A cheap, dubious belt fitted by some anonymous mechanic at a local garage, safe or otherwise, is considered perfectly allright rather than no seatbelt at all! Of course, despite this, I haven't seen any actual classics here being fitted with these. They are seldom driven out in city traffic of course.

Last edited by Stanher : 27th December 2009 at 22:15.
Old 31st December 2009, 13:32   #17
BHPian

Fiat 1100D original paint colours - European.
I found this on one of the best sites for Fiat, a German site that covers most fiat Models. "zuckerfabik24"

This is a good starting point to accurately determine what colours were offered in India and then try and cross reference them, as close as possible, to off the shelf Auto paints currently on the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Deluxe - Specifications and Information-11d_f1.jpg  

Last edited by john a milne : 31st December 2009 at 13:34. Reason: added info
Old 31st December 2009, 16:34   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fiat 1100D original paint colours - European.
I found this on one of the best sites for Fiat, a German site that covers most fiat Models. "zuckerfabik24"

This is a good starting point to accurately determine what colours were offered in India and then try and cross reference them, as close as possible, to off the shelf Auto paints currently on the market.
AFAIK, all these colours were offered on the Indian variants too, and even Black, which was a popular colour on Fiats back then. I presume the Dark red would've looked somewhat like this (albeit this is rather faded):

Flickr Photo Download: Fiat 1100 26.9.2008 1317

Flickr Photo Download: Fiat 1100 9.10.2008 1647
Old 31st December 2009, 19:50   #19
BHPian

I spent some time on the German web site "zukerfagik24" and found some interesting information.

On the Continent the Deluxe model came with leather seats and matching vinyl sides, colour co-ordinated interiors. Will have to contact them to see if they have more details. Also I noticed that the 'deluxe trim was on the older model as well, plus carpet mats.

Why not add the Deluxe trim and add a little Zest to the old ladies of the 50s? Will try and get more detailed shots of the deluxe trim at the back.

I've decided to "Soup up" my engine first to give a little more Zip, and do my diligence research and redo the interior and possibly the paint job. I am still trying to establish when the Powder Blue paint was offered and the exact colour. The bombay "Deluxe" looks so sweet and I can't keep my eyes off of it. The chrome job was very poor and that needs to be redone as well.

I've been talking to a few of the members and a few of the restorers here in Calcutta and their seems to be a consensus that 30 thousand over sized pistons, a fee flow exhaust system, and a two barrel carburetor would be a good start. I'm open to any other suggestions!

"Life is in the Details" and half the fun is getting there!

I've had a number of requests how to get a set of White Wall tires. I understand that MRF are not making them anymore, I will check with them next week to see if the is indeed the case and if so, would they consider running a small production run as a special order. Would anyone be interested?

A Happy New Year to everyone! We having a quiet one at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Deluxe - Specifications and Information-1100rlb7p.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 31st December 2009, 21:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

@John: Happy New Year!!

Lovely pics of Deluxe.

I definitely need a set of White wall tires.
Old 1st January 2010, 08:39   #21
BHPian

Seat belts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Oh I din't knew the purpose of seat belts, I thought they were for our safety.
If I remember correctly, it is illegal to install seat belts, if they were not provided by the manufacturers or provisions are made by them to install seat belts. Also seat belt laws are applicable to vehicles manufactured after 1989.

This I was told when I wanted to install seat belts on the rear seats of my 1987 Maruthi-800 Deluxe which came with factory installed front seat belts.

Just a extract from RTO rules if any one is interested.:-

Law on Use of Seatbelt: As per the provisions of sub-rule (3) of Rule 138 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 'in a motor vehicle, in which seat-belts have been provided under sub-rule (1) or sub-rule (1A) of rule 125 or rule 125A, as the case may be, it shall be ensured that the driver, and the person seated in the front seat or the persons occupying front facing rear seats, as the case may be, wear the seat belts while the vehicle is in motion.
Rule 125 (1) requires the manufacturer of every motor vehicle other than motor cycles and three-wheelers of engine capacity not exceeding 500 cc, shall equip every such vehicle with a seat belt for the driver and for the person occupying the front seat.
Rule 125 (1A) requires the manufacturer of every motor vehicle that is used for carriage of passengers and their luggage and comprising no more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat, shall equip it with a seat belt for a person occupying the front facing rear seat.
Penal Provisions:
The violation of any of the provisions of rule 138 (3) would constitute an offence punishable under section 177 MVA'88, which reads as follows-
'General provision for punishment of offences-Whoever contravenes any provision of this Act (i.e. MVA'88) or of any rule, regulation or notification made there under shall, if no penalty is provided for the offence be punishable for the first offence, with fine which may extend to one hundred rupees and any second or subsequent offence with fine which may extend to three hundred rupees.'

Please correct me if this is not the case.
Old 1st January 2010, 10:35   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why not add the Deluxe trim and add a little Zest to the old ladies of the 50s? Will try and get more detailed shots of the deluxe trim at the back.

I've had a number of requests how to get a set of White Wall tires. I understand that MRF are not making them anymore, I will check with them next week to see if the is indeed the case and if so, would they consider running a small production run as a special order. Would anyone be interested?
Best wishes for the new year John.

The deluxe trim no doubt adds some spunk to the Fiat. For the longest time I had planned to fit them on my 1961 Fiat 1100 Export, but now that we have a couple of cars kitted to this spec, I am sticking with stock - mine is the only one I know of currently.

I would be interested in purchasing 10 tyres, President I think would also want the same. Do let me know how to take it forward.
Old 1st January 2010, 11:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Guys from Bangalore would also like to go for white wall tyres :O}
Old 1st January 2010, 11:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Guys from Bangalore would also like to go for white wall tyres :O}
I just spoke to the Manager of MRF in Calcutta about a special order of white wall tires and he will check with their plant in Madras (I think) and let me know if it is possible and the minimum quantity required.

Would suggest that anyone interested, let me know ASAP.
Shipping the might be an issue, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Love those white walls!

Should we make a new thread on this issue?

Last edited by john a milne : 1st January 2010 at 11:59.
Old 1st January 2010, 14:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Love those white walls!

Should we make a new thread on this issue?
May be you need to start a new thread. To know the exact number of tires to order.

Last edited by arun1100 : 1st January 2010 at 14:46.
Old 1st January 2010, 20:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
May be you need to start a new thread. To know the exact number of tires to order.
I sort of put the cart before the horse and will wait till I get some feedback from MRF if they are interested.
Old 3rd January 2010, 11:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Mehul1100;1652902]

I was not able to understand one thing you said (Same belt I have put in my S1 Padmini I got one year back.) Did your S1 came without Factory fitted seat belts as your car model is an AC one (deluxe model).
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:00   #28
BHPian

[quote=samsag12;1661905][quote=Mehul1100;1652902]

While the law doesn't require belts on old models, I understand that the older belts such as mine are OK.

Last edited by john a milne : 3rd January 2010 at 12:05.
Old 3rd January 2010, 13:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudharma View Post
If I remember correctly, it is illegal to install seat belts, if they were not provided by the manufacturers or provisions are made by them to install seat belts. Also seat belt laws are applicable to vehicles manufactured after 1989.

This I was told when I wanted to install seat belts on the rear seats of my 1987 Maruthi-800 Deluxe which came with factory installed front seat belts.

Just a extract from RTO rules if any one is interested.:-

Law on Use of Seatbelt: As per the provisions of sub-rule (3) of Rule 138 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 'in a motor vehicle, in which seat-belts have been provided under sub-rule (1) or sub-rule (1A) of rule 125 or rule 125A, as the case may be, it shall be ensured that the driver, and the person seated in the front seat or the persons occupying front facing rear seats, as the case may be, wear the seat belts while the vehicle is in motion.
Rule 125 (1) requires the manufacturer of every motor vehicle other than motor cycles and three-wheelers of engine capacity not exceeding 500 cc, shall equip every such vehicle with a seat belt for the driver and for the person occupying the front seat.
Rule 125 (1A) requires the manufacturer of every motor vehicle that is used for carriage of passengers and their luggage and comprising no more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat, shall equip it with a seat belt for a person occupying the front facing rear seat.
Penal Provisions:
The violation of any of the provisions of rule 138 (3) would constitute an offence punishable under section 177 MVA'88, which reads as follows-
'General provision for punishment of offences-Whoever contravenes any provision of this Act (i.e. MVA'88) or of any rule, regulation or notification made there under shall, if no penalty is provided for the offence be punishable for the first offence, with fine which may extend to one hundred rupees and any second or subsequent offence with fine which may extend to three hundred rupees.'

Please correct me if this is not the case.
All this dosen't say it's illegal to install the seat belt. The citation only provides info on the use of seat belts. I find it hard to digest it's illegal if I take care of my safety by putting seat belts.
Old 3rd January 2010, 21:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Been away for a while, and this thread's going great guns !

A couple of pictures of the Deluxe show the bumpers having Huge overriders - particularly the front ones - thicker at the top than at the bottom, and with rubber fronts. These look very interesting, and do add a lot of character to the car !

Most Viewed