Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2010, 16:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Harit I thought we were going to use PM's to talk prices and stay away from subjective or personal opinions on price urge you to maintain decorum. You were the one afterall who suggested this!
Sorry, but I honestly do not know what you are trying here. I have not talked a price as no price has been mentioned by anyone, so where are we heading, talking about decorum? I just said that it will not come cheap, maybe I know something. This is not an opinion. If I had said something like " I feel that this will not come cheap", that would have been an opinion. I do not see a problem with this post at all. And so far no one has had a problem with my post, if anyone did, they did not tell me. Talking about decorum, I think I have been quite successful in maintaining this, even if sometimes I kept just within the boundry. Finally, let the mods have their say if required.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 8th January 2010 at 16:52.
Old 8th January 2010, 20:46   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Sorry, but I honestly do not know what you are trying here. I have not talked a price as no price has been mentioned by anyone, so where are we heading, talking about decorum? I just said that it will not come cheap, maybe I know something. This is not an opinion. If I had said something like " I feel that this will not come cheap", that would have been an opinion. I do not see a problem with this post at all. And so far no one has had a problem with my post, if anyone did, they did not tell me. Talking about decorum, I think I have been quite successful in maintaining this, even if sometimes I kept just within the boundry. Finally, let the mods have their say if required.

Cheers harit
Haritji has not mentioned any price,so what he says is true on that front.
let us be transparent., that guy is quoting half a million rupees for that which considering the condition of the car and the amount need to be spend on restoration is OVERPRICED by 1-2 lakhs !!
Old 8th January 2010, 23:00   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I did not have enough of these, I would buy. She is pillarless, but the version is the favourite Indian one, 6 cylinders for economy. That was the way the Indian market worked, exteriors plush, interior....well, inferior.
This lucky car escaped the filmwallah's, many of these were thrashed by that industry.
Are the books intact and taxes uptodate?
This car will not come cheap, and a lot of tinwork will have to be done. But you get a full sized American cruiser, they are not so freely available anymore. The original paint is of no help. The upholstry should be saved by restitching and putting some back-up material at the joints. Rear bench is beyond restoration, one should try to match colours as best as possible. You do get new upholstry in America, but difficult to match with 43 year old seat covers.
If you want to have something striking, go ahead, send a PM and get it.

The cost of a 1960 model will depend upon the condition, body style and the seller.

Cheers harit
Thanks harit for the information. But was expecting something more from you about the car, thinking you are aware of its previous ownership.After all it has spent its life in Mumbai, since the time the metro was known as Bombay!
Old 9th January 2010, 16:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

If you know something spill it we are all after fellow members!! Just saying it won't keep cheap is like putting a riddle which is not why most people I know who use this forum are here. I find it strange that we have this dual stuff happening something I don't find in other sites pelican parts/MB forum/MB Org/Renn!! Why have this duality be transparent its not about supressing info its about being generous with it! I know I am as I WALK straight Sounds like politics or our machinary which is getting royally flogged by the media these days

Last edited by canonball : 9th January 2010 at 16:54.
Old 9th January 2010, 17:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks harit for the information. But was expecting something more from you about the car, thinking you are aware of its previous ownership.After all it has spent its life in Mumbai, since the time the metro was known as Bombay!
Dear Anjan,
Actually, this may have been a mundane & common car plying in Mumbai when it was new. When I started spotting or noting cars, this model was not of particular interest. I do remember some Impalas, one always comes to my mind, a pale metallic blue one with the reg. no. MRH 129. This was on the roads for a long time. I have no idea when the car pictured by you actually left Mumbai. For example, there were many 123 and 126 plying in Mumbai, only some were note-worthy like stretch or coupes, and it is only now that we "notice" the regular sedans. So many which may have left Mumbai earlier are now, well forgotton and gone. And, I really cannot and never claim to know or have known all the cars in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
If you know something spill it we are all after fellow members!! Just saying it won't keep cheap is like putting a riddle which is not why most people I know who use this forum are here. I find it strange that we have this dual stuff happening something I don't find in other sites pelican parts/MB forum/MB Org/Renn!! Why have this duality be transparent its not about supressing info its about being generous with it! I know I am as I WALK straight Sounds like politics or our machinary which is getting royally flogged by the media these days
Dear Cannonball,
Sorry, but you confuse me. first you want me to maintain decorum and not even breathe or think the word "price", then you want me to spill the beans. I do not know the exact price, but the way in which the car was presented made me feel that it will well...... not come cheap. We have purchased such cars @ 25K, so I just wanted to mention that it will not be cheap. Apparently I was right, I have not been in touch with any of my friends in Nagpur nor do I know the location of this car.
I do not think that I need YOU to tell me about being generous with information. Somehow, looking at your last two posts in this thread I feel that you are trying to pick something. Well, not with me, and I will not mention anything further on this subject, whatever the provocation, IF any comes. Our aim is to maintain decorum, agreed?

Cheers harit
Old 9th January 2010, 22:30   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Anjan,
Actually, this may have been a mundane & common car plying in Mumbai when it was new. When I started spotting or noting cars, this model was not of particular interest. I do remember some Impalas, one always comes to my mind, a pale metallic blue one with the reg. no. MRH 129. This was on the roads for a long time. I have no idea when the car pictured by you actually left Mumbai. For example, there were many 123 and 126 plying in Mumbai, only some were note-worthy like stretch or coupes, and it is only now that we "notice" the regular sedans. So many which may have left Mumbai earlier are now, well forgotton and gone. And, I really cannot and never claim to know or have known all the cars in Mumbai.
Cheers harit
Must start politely with Dear Harit,
Today had a look at the original RC book. The car is an import and was registered in Mumbai in 1967.The first owner was an industrialist. The car was sold to another business magnate in Chandrapur (brother in law of a high flying Union Minister in the present cabinet) in 1975 where the car was till now. The car has been brought from Chandrapur.The post 1975 innings at Chandrapur is perhaps the reason the car was saved from the filmi goons who destroyed umpteen such cars. As the car was not in Mumbai since 1975 you have rightfully not noticed it.
Another news is that the car's engine has fired and has been running well. Its original Rochester (with GM embossed beside) carburettor is grotesque and I saw it ripped open today.
And harit when are we going to get the thread of the harit collection?
Old 9th January 2010, 23:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think this the car i was earlier talking about.Isnt this car belongs to Patels of Chandrapur? if so was lying in there backyard for long.
Old 10th January 2010, 18:11   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I think this the car i was earlier talking about.Isnt this car belongs to Patels of Chandrapur? if so was lying in there backyard for long.
Yes thats very correct agspins. Again took the car's pictures with the OE wheel caps on. I lifted these wheel caps (with real spokes affixed on the wheel cap rim) and believe me- each one weighs maybe as much as a Maruti 800 rim (without the tyre/tube)! The original chrome is quite intact here with some little signs of rusting only in a few places.
A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-dsc04798.jpg

A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-dsc04799.jpg

A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-impala.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 23:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Wow good to see the car coming back on road,hope she finds a good caring home.
OT one more thing i came to know was my mom use to travel a lot in this car in her college days as she was close friend of owners daughter.
Also,hope something similar thing happens/Happened to Chinndwara Impala.Interestingly owners of this too are/were patel's( probably different).

Last edited by agspins : 10th January 2010 at 23:25.
Old 11th January 2010, 08:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Least intersted in picking anything with you, just find it amusing as to how things are so simplified when it comes to buying a classic. Now I know how you came to the price conclusion as you have stated a" whole sentence" which earlier seemed short and sounded like a proclamation. The background sums up where you are coming from and lets an ignorant guy like me understand better Anyway jury is out on whether she will come cheap or not as for now she is being "quoted expensive"?
Old 21st March 2010, 00:37   #26
BHPian

So any updates on this car ?
Old 21st March 2010, 01:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
So any updates on this car ?
The guy(garage owner) is still working on the car.
Old 21st March 2010, 01:04   #28
BHPian

I had seen one of these during my school days during the 1980s, maroon color and was next to my school compound and owned by one of my class mate. I have been tryign to trace them since they have sold the property and moved somewhere else.

A beuaty this car was, so long and eye candy
Old 29th April 2010, 15:48   #29
BHPian

Ahhh Impala ... there were so many in hyderabad
they just stand out of the crowd
even after 40 yrs the car has so much apeal and class
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:26   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

The Impala's two front wheels were dismantled so I took pictures of the two axles and the wheel drums.
A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-dsc05244.jpg

A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-dsc05245.jpg

A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-dsc05246.jpg

A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-dsc05247.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed