Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2011, 20:15   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The Impala's two front wheels were dismantled so I took pictures of the two axles and the wheel drums.
Attachment 341301

Attachment 341302

Attachment 341303

Attachment 341304
Anjan ji , what is that spring for which is wrapped on the brake drum, what does it do.
I think it is for the rims ,not to stick to the drums when rusting starts on it ,if the wheels are not opened for long time. I may be wrong in thinking .Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Old 27th December 2011, 20:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Anjan ji , what is that spring for which is wrapped on the brake drum, what does it do.
I think it is for the rims ,not to stick to the drums when rusting starts on it ,if the wheels are not opened for long time. I may be wrong in thinking .Pls correct me if I am wrong.
Iqbal Sirji, I just had a talk with the person who owned this when it was photographed, after seeing your post.He says that such springs are useful in providing the desired tension to the wheel drum - wheel disc combo, when the latter is fitted. He also said that it helps keep the drum cool, as these get heated upon repeated braking.
I will also invite views from other fellow bhpians who may be aware of its utility.
Old 27th December 2011, 20:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iqbal Sirji, I just had a talk with the person who owned this when it was photographed, after seeing your post.He says that such springs are useful in providing the desired tension to the wheel drum - wheel disc combo, when the latter is fitted. He also said that it helps keep the drum cool, as these get heated upon repeated braking.
I will also invite views from other fellow bhpians who may be aware of its utility.
Yes sir you will find these springs in almost all american cars.

When I was studying Automobile eng. in 1972 we had a thick auto eng orange coloured book by the authur named CROUSE in this book we can see many photos of brake drums with these springs.
Old 27th December 2011, 20:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Anjanji what is the purpose of the fourth pedal on the extreme left? Is it a foot operated parking brake because the word PARK is seen on it.
Old 27th December 2011, 22:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Yes sir you will find these springs in almost all american cars.

When I was studying Automobile eng. in 1972 we had a thick auto eng orange coloured book by the authur named CROUSE in this book we can see many photos of brake drums with these springs.
I read the same book too both in my Diploma and Engineering. Still one of the best.

As for the springs the possible reason would be heat dessipation, as was with the older fin type drums (fiat's had that one too).
Old 27th December 2011, 23:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I understand the first part about the spring (if it is one) providing the tension, but why outside the drum ? Also how can this keep the drum cool ? There should be a better explanation for this one, I guess. Anyone ?
Old 28th December 2011, 11:10   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I understand the first part about the spring (if it is one) providing the tension, but why outside the drum ? Also how can this keep the drum cool ? There should be a better explanation for this one, I guess. Anyone ?
EL,

Hope the following explanation would satisfy you.

This (spring around the wheel drum) was there in a 1968 Impala Station Wagon I had the privilege to drive in the late 1970s.

The answer I had been given in the past was that - it is to dampen vibrations and noise while braking – what is known as the ringing vibration.

I believe it is just to help control "ringing", so not crucial, but will slightly effect braking.

The ringing vibration itself occurs only if you use your brakes heavily and repeatedly as in doing slalom course or a test track.

This feature was there in most of the big bore/muscle cars of 1950s and 60 (the Impala I am referring to was a straight 8 )

If the drum is ringing the shoes will not be able to make solid contact with the drum. Your braking will not be significantly or noticeably affected even if it was not there unless you are driving the car to its limits.

The same purpose (avoiding the ringing vibration) is achieved by the vibration rubber belt which "good turners" who take pride in their job (does this breed exist any more?) put around the brake drum while turning the drums

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:54   #38

What a great car!! Hope someone takes it up and restores the hell out of the beast!!!
Old 31st May 2012, 09:53   #39
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Reminds me of the '66 Impala my uncle imported from the US, same colour exterior and interior. However, it is definitely not the same, his was an eight cylinder and not a six! For a moment I thought it is the same car. First a Bihar reg and then a Delhi reg! He sold it in the 70's. Still very nostalgic to see the car.
Old 6th January 2013, 20:26   #40
BANNED

One of my friend picked up a clean Impala just today morning.

Would request the guru's here to shed some light on this model and some pointers towards finding spares for the same.

Its a Pillerless, LHD Automatic, and has 26,000 odd Genuine miles on the ODO.
Attached Thumbnails
A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-imag_1924.jpg  

A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-imag_1923.jpg  

A 1966 LHD Original Chevrolet Impala-imag_1926.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2013, 22:14   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Would request the guru's here to shed some light on this model and some pointers towards finding spares for the same.

This would be a '62 model. And from Madras.

Any pics. of the engine bay yet? Do you know if the engine is a 6 or 8 cyl.??
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 07:23   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

This would be a '62 model. And from Madras.

Any pics. of the engine bay yet? Do you know if the engine is a 6 or 8 cyl.??
This looks like a six . Seats look like they have been redone at some time and so do the mechanicals and ELECTRICALS

Clean car nevertheless

Cheers
Old 7th January 2013, 10:24   #43
BHPian

Slightly OT,

How much would a good Impala/ similar fin type American car cost now to buy and bring to good condition?

A broad range would do.
Need to know how many years I need to save before venturing out looking for one
I have always fancied those long American cars. Honestly I have never been in a running one till date
Thanks

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 7th January 2013 at 10:32.
Old 12th January 2013, 22:53   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Is the Impala by any chance from Kollam?. Cause remember seeing one for sale recently.
Old 13th January 2013, 11:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Is the Impala by any chance from Kollam?. Cause remember seeing one for sale recently.
Yes, you are spot on.This is indeed the Impala from Kollam which was for sale along with 2 beetles.The history of this car has already been mentioned in another thread.As stanher pointed out it is a Tamilnadu car.
Some other members have already mentioned that it did not have the original documents when it was for sale sometime ago.
Regarding the mileage done ,on 23December 2012 Pavanji says it has done 21000 odd genuine miles and in the above post made on 6th January 2013 it has done 26000 odd genuine miles
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2997742
It seems that the LHD car has done quite a bit of running in the last 2weeks

Most Viewed