Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2014, 14:01   #346
BHPian

Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
MBZ180,

Its been too long since we saw a complete picture of the car. We keep seeing only parts that you have procured.

Its seriously getting very difficult to imagine where all those parts fit and how the car looks now.

Please oblige us.
Kevin, there isn't much point in posting pics of the car in primer, but you're right, I've only been posting photos of parts procured and they are not on the car either...not as yet.

But as soon as I have something worthwhile to post (i.e. pics of the car itself) I will!

Cheers
Old 28th October 2014, 18:48   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Kevin, there isn't much point in posting pics of the car in primer, but you're right, I've only been posting photos of parts procured and they are not on the car either...not as yet.

But as soon as I have something worthwhile to post (i.e. pics of the car itself) I will!

Cheers
hello sir,
i am so immersed on the attention of detailing you have given, am sure you have made good progress by now. Eager to see the progress made, with pictures off-course
Old 28th October 2014, 22:53   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinHead View Post
hello sir,
i am so immersed on the attention of detailing you have given, am sure you have made good progress by now. Eager to see the progress made, with pictures off-course
Hello TwinHead, thank you for the kind words and interest on my car.

Last week I had a chance to visit the workshop to see the car but unfortunately I have no photos.

Ongoing work on the car to prep it for road trials are as follows:

- Car was started last week when I was there after a gap of 2 years or so. After setting the timing, the engine fired up in a few cranks.

- Overheating and water boiling-over was a major concern last time although the engine was newly rebuilt. A new radiator core seems to have addressed this issue as there was no overheating during the 1.5 hours that the engine ran.

Problems that are being addressed :

-Waterpump housing if of a later type; am importing the correct piece.

-A part of the bottom tank of the radiator needs to be fabricated along with mounting brackets since this radiator was from an early side valve 180 which had a shorter bottom tank. Measurements awaited.

-Correct dynamo and adjuster needs to be sourced.

-One exhaust pipe bracket needs to be fabricated (measurements have been obtained).

-The engine cannot be brought to a smooth low idle. Cause - carburettor air mixture screw opening has worn out so the screw sits loose. Luckily I have a sparingly used carburettor which should address this.

-The self starter is slow to crank especially when the engine is hot. A check revealed worn out field coils and commutator. Looking for an identical good piece failing which we'll have to rebuild the starter.

-Fabrication of exhaust system soon to start. All measurements obtained.

-One front wheel brake cylinder is missing as are all 4 pivot pins for the front wheel cylinders. Former is being imported along with 1 of the latter. Remaining 3 of the latter will be fabricated.

Once all these are addressed road trials will start. Then we'll take the engine out one last time to detail it and to detail the engine bay with all the shiny new parts that have come in!

Cheers,

mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 23:00   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mbz180
Might I know what gauge of sheet metal was used during the restoration?

And remember, the engine working is one thing. An engine working properly, throwing out water is another thing.
Old 28th October 2014, 23:18   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Might I know what gauge of sheet metal was used during the restoration?

And remember, the engine working is one thing. An engine working properly, throwing out water is another thing.
If you mean the side members and cross member gauge, I think it was 16 gauge. The rest of the car (primarily floors and trunk floor) got 18 gauge sheets. Why do you ask, anything specific?

I didn't understand the point regarding the engine; perhaps I was unclear. I'll repeat- 2 years back the engine was overheating after half an hour of running and the radiator would throw out water. The likely cause seemed to be the radiator, the core had become very weak and the fins had closed-in almost completely blocking air-flow. A new core has eliminated this overheating.

Regards,

mbz180
Old 30th October 2014, 09:27   #351
Senior - BHPian

Prithvi I think he means throwing out water from the tailpipe! Anyways so post some new pictures of the car. I am eagerly waiting to see the result. Have you finalized the colour?
Old 30th October 2014, 13:50   #352
BHPian

Hmm...water out of the tail pipe, that explains what FINTAIL was trying to say. Undecided on the colour But narrowed it down to 2. A dark blue and a very dark red, so dark that it may look almost dark brown.

No worthwhile photos to show as of now; the engine ancillaries are being attended to but hopefully I'll have something to show in not too long a while!

Cheers,

Prithvi
Old 15th May 2015, 17:32   #353
BHPian

So what does 2015 hold for this restoration?
Old 11th June 2015, 16:40   #354
BHPian

MBZ 180..
It was a fascinating read, was enjoying it thoroughly.. Amazing to see the effort and detail put into the cars restoration.
Though its like a book without the last few pages...
Complete the story and update us all! Can't wait to see what you have done.
a_nan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 12:11   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nan View Post
MBZ 180..

Though its like a book without the last few pages...
Complete the story and update us all! Can't wait to see what you have done.
Thank you for the kind words a_nan!

There are some 'twists in the tale' () and thus some while to go before the final chapters. I'll post the twisty parts soon but the matter for the last chapters isn't quite there yet.

Seriously but, I'm going to the workshop tomorrow so lets see what's the progress...

Cheers
mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 17:59   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There are some 'twists in the tale' () and thus some while to go before the final chapters. I'll post the twisty parts soon but the matter for the last chapters isn't quite there yet.

Seriously but, I'm going to the workshop tomorrow so lets see what's the progress...

Cheers
mbz180
At this rate my Ponton will be due for restoration again
Old 15th June 2015, 01:52   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Seriously but, I'm going to the workshop tomorrow so lets see what's the progress
Tomorrow is over.

We demand updates.

Old 18th June 2015, 17:44   #358
BHPian

Hi MBZ180,

How are you doing brother. Hope all is well at your end. If you can recall I have been getting a W110 restored. Well we are through with the mechanicals and the body work. Now have started painting the car. I have been looking for a stock radio i.e. either a blaupunkt or a becker just like you have managed to source. I too need to source a radio for my car and whats more I am travelling to Chicago and New York next month. I read you had managed to source your radio from USA.

Bro could you please connect me to your source and also please guide as to how much is the right price to pay for such a radio. I will highly appreciate your kind help on the above.

Also I have inquired with Tutuji he says you can add a kit to these becker radios to enable them to receive FM also.
Old 19th June 2015, 15:38   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc_lover666 View Post
Hi MBZ180,

I have been looking for a stock radio i.e. either a blaupunkt or a becker just like you have managed to source. I too need to source a radio for my car and whats more I am travelling to Chicago and New York next month. I read you had managed to source your radio from USA.

Bro could you please connect me to your source and also please guide as to how much is the right price to pay for such a radio. I will highly appreciate your kind help on the above.

Also I have inquired with Tutuji he says you can add a kit to these becker radios to enable them to receive FM also.
Hi Merc_lover666,

Yes I sourced my car's radio from the US. But that was 6 years back and I paid $ 300. 6 years back, that was a pretty good bargain. It was relatively cheap reason being that a Ponton Club member had a large stash of radios which he was disposing off in a hurry. What I have for my car is a Becker Europa MU tube (valve) radio with a separate power unit mounted under the dash.

From 1959/60 onwards, Becker replaced their entire line up with transistorized units. Your car, being a W110, should have a transistorized radio. You can choose from a number of models that were correct for MB's of the '60s. Here are the Becker models and the prices you should expect to pay:

Becker Europa TR mono - $ 500

Becker Europa TR stereo - $ 600 to 700

Becker Mexico TR - $ 600 to 800

Becker Grand Prix - $ 600 to 800

To the best of my knowledge, the 'export' version radios normally came with the FM frequency in any case; no need for a kit. My 1950s tube radio has FM! What you do get are adapters to play mp3 files or attach an ipod.

Since you'll be visiting New York, I would suggest you visit the shop of Becker Auto Sound in New Jersey. Posting you the link. They are a regular sponsor of the Ponton Club and the American members speak very highly of this store, their service, knowledge and the range of products available.

http://beckerautosound.com/

Also, a link to an E-Bay page listing some Beckers from the 1960s. This is a good indicator of prevailing prices. Note the asking prices for the MB 300SL radios

http://http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=becker+radio+europa+mexico+grand+mont e+avus&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l 1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbecker+radio+europa+mexico.TR S0&_nkw=becker+radio+europa+mexico&_sacat=0"]http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=becker+radio+europa+mexico+grand+mont e+avus&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l 1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbecker+radio+europa+mexico.TR S0&_nkw=becker+radio+europa+mexico&_sacat=0"]http://http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=becker+radio+europa+mexico+grand+mont e+avus&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l 1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xbecker+radio+europa+mexico.TR S0&_nkw=becker+radio+europa+mexico&_sacat=0

Lastly, please do some research to determine what the correct radios for your car are. You don't want to spend a ton of money only to realise that you bought a later model radio (cassette radios came out in the late 60s- early 70s and are not correct for your car).

Here's a link which should be helpful. It's the from the best MB Fintail site I know and this link will lead you directly to 'Special Equipment'. You will see that the radio models which were OEM from MB during the 60s are mentioned.

http://http://heckflosse.nl/special.htm"]http://heckflosse.nl/special.htm"]http://http://heckflosse.nl/special.htm

Happy hunting for a good radio and do post photos of you car!

Cheers,

mbz180

Last edited by mbz180 : 19th June 2015 at 15:43.
Old 28th June 2015, 13:07   #360
BHPian

Hi Mbz180
It seems spending time on this forum and reading threads such is really helpful.
I ended up summing up the courage to go out and pick up a 1982 w126 Mercedes 280se. It has some mechanical issues to sort out, little rust here and there, but still has original paint and It has a pioneer stereo that is definitely going out, will source a Becker and get the correct speaker covers, etc.
This is my first project, am hoping passion and team bop will make up for my lack of knowledge and experience.
Your thread has been inspirational, Thank you!
Seeing the level of detail in your approach to the restoration of your car is unbelievable. I would love to do something similar, keep the car original or make it as original as possible. Do give me some pointers.
And updates please! There will be more people following your thread than you realise, I had been a silent spectator for a while before posting on your page.

This thread and others like this one have been inspirational and entertaining. So, I have bought a 1982 w126 280se.
The car has a little bit of rust, some mechanical issues and a pioneer stereo that will be junked for a Becker and the correct speaker grills.
I am hoping to get the car restored / corrected to factory spec or better, it has to be road worthy at any point, though it would be used less. Any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.
I doubt that I would have taken the first step towards restoring an old car without all you guys and Team-bhp. Thanks guys!

By the way, we are still waiting for updates mbz180. The suspense is killing me.

Last edited by ampere : 28th June 2015 at 15:13. Reason: Back to back post merged
a_nan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks