Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2010, 16:38   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Hi Amol,

I don't know which one to use. Have to find out which is the best and then go with that. Will post pics of it.
3M Seam Sealer is available locally and seam sealer is what is used globaly. I have bought the same to be put on my car. I we look at 3M site they have a wide array of products which will help us in restoration.
Old 16th December 2010, 18:26   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
3M Seam Sealer is available locally and seam sealer is what is used globaly. I have bought the same to be put on my car. I we look at 3M site they have a wide array of products which will help us in restoration.
Since we are discussing sealants, what about good insulating rubber matting? Is Dynamat the best and most effective way to go? And is it self adhesive? Doubt though that's it's available in Kolkata. Amol, any suggestions from you on this?
Old 17th December 2010, 16:10   #78
BHPian

Just bought a tube of 3M Autobody sealant. Pretty expensive stuff.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 17th December 2010, 16:59   #79
BHPian

The car is coming out beautifully. I am sure Bumpu will do a great job!

About Dynamat, are you thinking of using it all over the car? Dynamat is quite expensive and will add up substantial costs to the budget. Maybe you should look for a little cheaper alternative. You can use it in the doors and the front area below the dash and footwells. Just a suggestion.
Old 18th December 2010, 10:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just bought a tube of 3M Autobody sealant. Pretty expensive stuff.

Regards
Prithvi
Wurth may also have a similar product, lets see can you put up pics of the tube you bought for record. Dynamat I agree is a ltlle more expensive than standard heatlon but the sound deadning and heat reflecting qualities are great,
Old 18th December 2010, 11:41   #81
Senior - BHPian

@ Amol: Here is the picture of the one I bought for 600 odd bucks

@ Prithvi: If you search in Team Bhp, you will get to know a lot about insulating rubber matting. Wurth also has got felt based insulating mats.

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-3m-seam-sealer.jpg

Last edited by manishalive : 18th December 2010 at 11:48.
Old 18th December 2010, 11:56   #82
BHPian

Hi Prithvi,

Please understand that TEAM BHP is a community of the most enthusiastic car lovers in the country. And we as members are bound to contribute our best in whatever way we can. If you need any assistance regarding your restoration, the best way to go about is to find out the right members and PM them for your queries.

I am a hardcore Merc addict myself having just about finished with a complete body-off restoration on my '85 300D (W123). But my unforgiving schedule does not permit me to log in here as much as I would have liked. I chanced upon your thread today only. But that does not imply that I am not interested in it!

So please keep us all posted on the challenging work you have in hand. And rest assured, all of us are there for you.

Vikas
Old 18th December 2010, 12:36   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
The car is coming out beautifully. I am sure Bumpu will do a great job!

About Dynamat, are you thinking of using it all over the car? Dynamat is quite expensive and will add up substantial costs to the budget. Maybe you should look for a little cheaper alternative. You can use it in the doors and the front area below the dash and footwells. Just a suggestion.
Hi Sarmarishi,

I plan to use Dynamat for the floors, engine firewall, rear seat back, trunk floor and doors. That would cover most of the car I suppose.

Amol, can you given an indicator of the prices? Need to plan accordingly.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 18th December 2010, 13:20   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wurth may also have a similar product, lets see can you put up pics of the tube you bought for record. Dynamat I agree is a ltlle more expensive than standard heatlon but the sound deadning and heat reflecting qualities are great,
Couple of pictures of the 3M Autobody Sealant and the applicator gun which I picked up for Rs.800/-, for just the sealant.

Regards
Prithvi
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-sealant_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-sealant_2.jpg  

Old 19th December 2010, 19:19   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Couple of pictures of the 3M Autobody Sealant and the applicator gun which I picked up for Rs.800/-, for just the sealant.

Regards
Prithvi
Prithvi,

Good that you bought the applicator, I din't bought the same. However I see that yours and mine is different. A quick check on 3M website revealed that both the products have slight different uses. Let's wait for Amol to comment.
Old 20th December 2010, 10:03   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Prithvi,

Good that you bought the applicator, I din't bought the same. However I see that yours and mine is different. A quick check on 3M website revealed that both the products have slight different uses. Let's wait for Amol to comment.
Hi Manishalive,

I have a feeling that the sealant that you have pictured can also be used as a windscreen sealant, whereas what I have picked up specifically says that it is not for use for sealing windshields and that it is only to be used for sealing body panels. I may be wrong though.

While we are at it, my visit on Saturday showed that the luggage floor has been welded into place, as have the twin wheel wells. While I was there, the remaining area that has not yet been primered was sandpapered and then coated with a chemical, an industrial rust converter. Once it started drying up, it left a grey white residue, that will be cleaned today and then Zinc Phosphate (grey) epoxy primer will be sprayed on. This primer is very expensive too, but is supposed to provide better protection than the yellow Zinc Chromate primer.

Also received on Saturday, a brand new shiny water-pump and 4 new front wheel brake cylinders (ATE) for my car. But there is a problem, as I have been sent 4 identical cylinders whereas I should have 2 for the left wheel and 2 for the right. Got to send them back today and get the right ones.

Also need to buy a product from DINITROL, a wax compound that can be pressure sprayed to coat the chassis closed section, to provide protection for the inner walls.

After all this, we may get the shell sand blasted, though Amol warned me against this. I have my reservations too, so any suggestions, views on this? Should we go ahead and get this done or leave it? Views will be most appreciated.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 20th December 2010, 10:39   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Manishalive,
Regards
Prithvi
Hi Prithvi,

I checked at 3M website, mine and your's are slightly different in usage but again both are seam sealers. I think yours is more towards exterior visible panels and mine on the underbody and unvisible stuff.

The grey epoxy that you speak of, is it sprayable, I presume not, it is in between liquid and a paste. The same is also used in waterproofing applications, very good for flat and visible surfaces.

Please also do check wurth, they also have underbody sprays.

Regards,

Manish
Old 20th December 2010, 10:50   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Prithvi,

The grey epoxy that you speak of, is it sprayable, I presume not, it is in between liquid and a paste. The same is also used in waterproofing applications, very good for flat and visible surfaces.

Please also do check wurth, they also have underbody sprays.

Regards,

Manish
Hi Manish,

Interesting to know about our 2 sealants. The grey primer is sprayable and is manufactured by MRF's speciality paints division. It's called Zinc Phosphate Epoxy primer.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 20th December 2010, 12:54   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVE HER(ALD)! View Post
Hi Prithvi,

Please understand that TEAM BHP is a community of the most enthusiastic car lovers in the country. And we as members are bound to contribute our best in whatever way we can. If you need any assistance regarding your restoration, the best way to go about is to find out the right members and PM them for your queries.

I am a hardcore Merc addict myself having just about finished with a complete body-off restoration on my '85 300D (W123). But my unforgiving schedule does not permit me to log in here as much as I would have liked. I chanced upon your thread today only. But that does not imply that I am not interested in it!

So please keep us all posted on the challenging work you have in hand. And rest assured, all of us are there for you.

Vikas
Vikas,

Can we have some pictures of your car?
Old 21st December 2010, 09:24   #90
BHPian

Just received the front and rear coil spring rubber pads and rear arm rubber bushes from Germany, yesterday! All are brand new and good quality, despite this vendor selling the parts for a third of the price as Mercedes Benz. Will post pics soon.

Regards
Prithvi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks