Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2010, 22:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow she's on her way to becoming the next "Statesman Queen"

You need to be careful with the Ipog Keychain. It wears out at the neck and gives away. Mine is gone already. I think its made of some synthetic material.

The Chassis plates, body plates and colour plates are quite nicely reproduced. Somehow mine are pretty different. I will take pics and post them this week, hav'nt driven my car in the last month or so.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2010, 16:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wow she's on her way to becoming the next "Statesman Queen"

You need to be careful with the Ipog Keychain. It wears out at the neck and gives away. Mine is gone already. I think its made of some synthetic material.

The Chassis plates, body plates and colour plates are quite nicely reproduced. Somehow mine are pretty different. I will take pics and post them this week, hav'nt driven my car in the last month or so.
Amol you must have seen the Decal Pictures (complete set), by the way any idea similar ones available for our Fiats??
Old 1st February 2010, 20:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Amol you must have seen the Decal Pictures (complete set), by the way any idea similar ones available for our Fiats??
No dude Who cares about Fiats to make decals I am kidding. They are available for 500's and 600's but not 1100's. But I have colour scans of many prints. We can get them made for our Fiats.
Old 2nd February 2010, 15:47   #19
BHPian

Excellant choice.. have you considered a maroon?
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
No dude Who cares about Fiats to make decals I am kidding. They are available for 500's and 600's but not 1100's. But I have colour scans of many prints. We can get them made for our Fiats.
WOW GREAT, JUST WHAT I WANTED. Now its time for Autocad & Coral Draw/Graphics software. I would definitely love to help making digital copies of them.
Old 2nd February 2010, 19:35   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmate View Post
Excellant choice.. have you considered a maroon?
I was thinking maroon too. However for some reason i feel its a little RR like.

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mbz.jpg

cya
R

PS- Noticed yesterday that your thread was on the "hot threads" on the team-bhp homepage.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2010 at 19:38.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hey Rehaan,

For a moment I thought my eyes are playing tricks on me or I've lost it completely! How did you manage to colour the blue and grey photo of the 220S to maroon so neatly? I need exactly this kind of software to try my paint schemes, so please let me know. Maroon looks very nice, though there is a very good original DB colour called DB 516 Mittelrot or Medium Red as shown in the ponton paint chart from the 50s, which is actually a deep red. I was thinking of that, with light tan or cream upholstery and deep tan carpets. That I think would look great.

Regards
Taggy
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mbig_paint7.jpg  

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd February 2010 at 01:47. Reason: Quote fixed
mbz180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2010, 22:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Attachment 279736

He initially wanted the car to be a similer colour with beige coloured interiors but his father dosen't like that colour scheme.He wants something unique that may or may not be an original colour.
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:30   #24
BHPian

Here are a few photos of my car. The first one was taken at the 2005 Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally, though by then the chrome on the bumpers had already started to get dull, because it wasn't chromed very well. The white brimmed lense foglamps are correct for the car, though on the 4-cylinder pontons they came as extra paid options. The sidelamps under the headlamps (which are actually Tata-MB truck units that are still available) are Mahindra jeep units, and I had unecessarily put Amby aftermarket fender mirrors. On that day, I remember exceeding 60 mph for the first time in the car. The next few photos are after a very bad storage period of 2 years (till 2007), since the head developed a crack which couldn't be fixed and I was heart broken and stopped using or caring for the car completely. I was fortunate to obtain a good used head after that, and thus sent the car in 2007 for a full restoration to another person, which turned out to be the biggest mistake of my life. It spent the next 2 years in the restorers shed, during which many parts were lost, including pistons and rods. In April 2009, I finally managed to get the car back, with a lot of lost parts, and then finally decided to give the car to a professional restorer, something the car always deserved. At least now if have all the missing parts and I know that she will be back on the roads.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-2005rally.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-after_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mbfront1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-rear_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-int_1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mbint1.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-enginebay_2.jpg  

My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-enginebay_1.jpg  

mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:45   #25

Very Impressed by the spread of parts on the last page. And the ponton to-date is My Grand Parent's Favorite car.
Old 4th February 2010, 12:12   #26
Team-BHP Support

Hi Taggy,

Actually i was trying to get a slightly more maroony red, but could not get exactly what i wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
...How did you manage to colour the blue and grey photo of the 220S to maroon so neatly? I need exactly this kind of software to try my paint schemes, so please let me know.
Using Adobe Photoshop.
I have attached the photoshop file here (you will need to change the file extension from .doc to .psd).

The photoshop file has the coloured part of the car that i have selected.
(Selection > Load Selection > Channel : Alpha 1)

After that, the color can be changed in many ways. Anyone who knows photoshop can help you. (find some in the link below)

The Photoshop Mods Thread

Heres another classy colour worth considering :
My 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 180a Ponton-mbz1802.jpg

Also - be prepared, the painted car's colour will in all probability look slightly different than the photoshop images!

cya
R
Attached Files
File Type: doc mbz180_(change_extension_to_psd).doc (1.34 MB, 519 views)

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th February 2010 at 12:15.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 13:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

In My opinion Pontons look best in Deep dark blue with a sligt metallic tinge, ivory / tan, and black for sure.

Deep green is also a good colour.

Mostly any solid colour will make teh car look stunning but not sure about the two tone effect on these particular cars
Old 9th February 2010, 14:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Here are a couple of pictures of my Becker Europa Tube radio now installed with the correct bakelite and chrome knobs. The words "Becker Europa" cannot be seen from a front angle, one has to be at a higher position than the radio to see the words, as one would be when driving the car.
actually had the pleasure of seeing this beauty for real in bombay this time. nice work taggy, look fwd to seeing the car once its restored
Old 9th February 2010, 17:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post
actually had the pleasure of seeing this beauty for real in bombay this time. nice work taggy, look fwd to seeing the car once its restored
Boss which car are you talking about in Mumbai?
Old 9th February 2010, 17:41   #30
Team-BHP Support

Mole, he's talking about the radio -- see the quoted post.

cya
R

Most Viewed