Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 18:43   #16
BHPian

Perak: Those are some lovely pictures.

The engine seems to be the original one. The newer engines have the numbers punched elsewhere. Also if the number was punched on another engine it would have been just the plain numbers. Not a lot have the "flower" punch which looks like the asterix.

1. Headlight rim and glass available over the net.
2. Your front mudguard is the original one.
3. Yes that is the original color.
4. No you will need to change the kicker shaft. This is a little hard to get the original one but then you can get it done in the lathe using the new shaft. I know a guy who has done that to his RK.
5. Seats are availabe over the net. You have most of the seat still remaining so a good tinker can get it made for you.
6. Just get a couple of brake shoes moulded for the future.
7. I will attach pictures of the meter that should go on this. Keep an eye on ebay.
8. This would be the costliest for you. If you know anyone coming from Germany or turkey, they could buy one and get it for you. Shipping will be pretty expensive apart from the 200 odd euros that you'll be spending on the tank.
9. You will need the throttle, grips, and levers. Available online.
10. The headlight ring and glass I guess comes from the Yezdi Jet.
11. Block and head. Need to get the "flower" collar nuts.
12. Tank. Keep it for another Kyvacka or you can send it to me I need that one.
13. Carb cover available and the filter too online. I have a slight doubt that this is the original filter. Check for the PAL logo.
14. The mufflers, again another expensive bit. Available online for around 12k Rs.

Here is a nice site for parts.
JAWA PERAK | Jawamarkt.cz

Here are some pictures of the parts you will need to look out for, which are not available on this site.
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa Perak-meter.jpg  

Jawa Perak-tankswithbottom.jpg  

Jawa Perak-tankswithinside.jpg  

Jawa Perak-tankswithtop.jpg  

TuffRyder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2010, 18:14   #17
BHPian

Interesting to see so many Jawa Perak admirers on this forum. Attaching pics of mine. I am looking for the original silencers of this bike. Could any one help me out?
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa Perak-img_1204.jpg  

Jawa Perak-img_1212.jpg  

ShaSun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2010, 13:12   #18
BHPian

ShaSun: Finding a silencer for this bike locally is as or more difficult than finding the bike itself. Your best bet would be to get it online. There are quite a few sites selling them. You can fabricate one if you get a good fabricator for it. You can use M80 silceners as the base and build around it.

You have a lovely bike.

Cheers
Old 19th June 2010, 13:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
ShaSun: Finding a silencer for this bike locally is as or more difficult than finding the bike itself.

Cheers
That part is so true. I have been trying for very long now. Any idea about the flower nuts. I have a pair but the nuts are not in very good shape.
Old 4th October 2010, 14:51   #20
BHPian

Ok Guys. Have got quite a bit of work done on the Perak.
Most difficult to obtain were (in that order):
1) Getting a new set of silencers. Finally sourced from a workshop near Hyderabad.
2) the kick lever's grooves were worn out. Got a new one sourced after almost searching for 2 months
3) getting the Perak throttle grip
4) clutch plates
5) square rectifier
6) flower nuts for the silencers

Also having some problems with the chrome job on the machine. Had to redo it and am not sure of the final outcome.

Tuffryder - Took a shot of the engine nos for you as well

Apart from that, have brought it to almost a perfect finish on the original. decided to go in for a dark maroon colour. some WIP shown here. Finalized job expected by end of this week. will keep you posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa Perak-dsc01439.jpg  

Jawa Perak-dsc01440.jpg  

Jawa Perak-dsc01441.jpg  

Jawa Perak-dsc01442.jpg  

Jawa Perak-dsc01443.jpg  

Jawa Perak-dsc01444.jpg  

ShaSun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2010, 17:15   #21
BHPian

That is coming out real well ShaSun. Waiting to see it completed. Sorry for not replying about the flower nuts earlier. I could have helped you with that. Anyways, were the levers in the bike when u got them? They are so very difficult to come by. These were found only upto 1962. There is a mech here locally who is trying to make them in brass. Waiting to see the finish of that. Please do post some pictures of the silencer. Also you should have chromed the rear shox. The throttle that you have on the bike belongs to the new model jawas and is an aftermarket one. Also, this is the aluminum one you have and you should be very delicate with it. The inner grove tends to break very easily. I recently managed to source a throttle for my bike. I will post pictures of it. I waited for quite a long time and paid a princely sum for it. Im looking for the left side grip now. The grips come with the Jawa and CZ logo in the middle and also the shape is different. Im putting up a picture of the Ideal Jawa grip and the Jawa/CZ grip for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa Perak-dsc00220.jpg  

Jawa Perak-dsc00221.jpg  

Jawa Perak-dsc00226.jpg  

Old 5th October 2010, 10:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Anyways, were the levers in the bike when u got them?

Also you should have chromed the rear shox. The throttle that you have on the bike belongs to the new model jawas and is an aftermarket one.

The grips come with the Jawa and CZ logo in the middle and also the shape is different. Im putting up a picture of the Ideal Jawa grip and the Jawa/CZ grip for comparison.
Wow! Good to see the grips you have... I was unable to source the originals on this and had to make do with the ones you see.
On the levers - yes. they were on the bike when i got it.
On the rear shox - this was an aberration by the mechanic and was done before I saw it. But kind of like the look it gives now...

Silencers are being chromed. Will receive it by tomorrow. taking delivery of the bike by monday. Big day today... we will try and finish the fitting on the bike... Also trying to find the small tail lamp.
Old 5th October 2010, 12:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Perak, Shasun,

These two are good bikes, originality not much messed by previous owners.

The rear plunger shock is still intact, which is important.

It will not be difficult to source the 60's Jawa engine spares which should perfectly match your bikes. Jikov is a Czechoslovakian carburetor.

Get the silencers fabricated if you all have good guys to do the job in your respective places. Attaching pics of the same with inner construction.

All the best and thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Jawa Perak-perak.jpg

Jawa Perak-literaturposterperak26806801275314696.jpg
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2010, 13:29   #24
BHPian

thanks Fazal. Appreciate it... Infact it was this very same pic of the Perak that I saw before getting it painted in that color.

Tuffryder - checked with the mechanic on whether it would be possible to chrome the rear shox. he says that since the older shox had been painted, he would have had to grind and then the plate would have lost its strength. which is why he has gotten it painted in the color of . Any help on whether this can be avoided would be helpful.

Also have sent him the pics of the grips that tuffryder sent to see whether there is any chance of sourcing them... he is pretty "resourceful" when it comes to sourcing these.
Old 5th October 2010, 15:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaSun View Post

he says that since the older shox had been painted, he would have had to grind and then the plate would have lost its strength.
Shasun,

Get the old paint hand scraped or better still use a paint remover.

The barrel is too short to lose its tubular strength. Grinding is not required and it is a big NO.

Electro plating in no way is going to weaken it , but before plating the metal brush used to buff, is not going to thin or damage the tube.

I have seen numerous classics restored this way, including mine.

Regards,
Old 5th October 2010, 19:34   #26
BHPian

Like Fazal said, you dont need to grind it. It is just a normal metal cup. A good paint remover will do the trick. If it still does not come out, use a blow torch and remove it. You wont be taking a big risk, you can always fabricate these cups. I have a pair of shox with me which were painted too but I removed the paint and giving it for chrome.

All the best for the big day. Still waiting to see the silencers. As for the taillamp, you can source it easily over the net.
Old 5th October 2010, 21:22   #27

Jawa Perak

Hello great to see the pics of the restoration here.
I was lucky enough to lay my hands on this Jawa Perak. I had to struggle a lot with the owner to sell me his bike and finally after 3 years he not being able to bear my torture finally did agree .
This bike was registered on the 13th of August 1947 and has most of the spares intact. I am very grateful to PERAK for starting this thread as it is going to be helpful for the restoration process.
Thanks again PERAK
Regards
Lockheed
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa Perak-perak-1.jpg  

Jawa Perak-perak-2.jpg  

lockheed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2010, 09:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Like Fazal said, you dont need to grind it. It is just a normal metal cup. A good paint remover will do the trick. If it still does not come out, use a blow torch and remove it. You wont be taking a big risk, you can always fabricate these cups. I have a pair of shox with me which were painted too but I removed the paint and giving it for chrome.

All the best for the big day. Still waiting to see the silencers. As for the taillamp, you can source it easily over the net.

Looking at the option of the paint remover... but the fitting has already been done... Long distance restorations are a pain in the @$#. May take some time off and get the shox done before taking final delivery.

Having some problems with the flower nut on the throttle side... grooves are not meshing perfectly apparently.

But finally, I am sending you the pics of the silencers. these were fabricated here in India. perfect fitting. no leakages...
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa Perak-fitting1.jpg  

Jawa Perak-fitting2.jpg  

Jawa Perak-fitting3.jpg  

Old 7th October 2010, 18:54   #29
BHPian

Shasun: That has come out well. U can always take the flower nut to the lathe shop and get the threads matched. Good to hear about the silencers.

Lockheed: Where the heck you'll guys manage to get these beauties. You have a gem of a piece in your hand and that a damn good registration date too.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:38   #30
BHPian

Ok
Fazal and Tuffryder... thanks for the help. I got the cups refabricated and fitted onto the Perak. Initial photos of the same attached. FInal fitting is on. I will get delivery now on saturday.

tuffryder, In case you want to see the silencers I got fitted on the CZ 150, check the prewar section of the forum.
Shanx
Attached Thumbnails
Jawa Perak-chromed-shox.jpg  

Jawa Perak-14102010014.jpg  

Most Viewed