Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2010, 08:53   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Radiator Heating problem in petrol padmini
Hi FIAT Fans,
I am having petrol padmini 1987 make. I have shifted to Hyderabad in 2004 and since then I am facing problem of high engine temp. Earlier I was near pune. My engine temp I have never seen crossing 75-80 inspite of 40-50 km driving in stretch. But after shifting to Hyd even if I drove 5-6 km it was shooting to 90 deg. and maintains there . When I have asked mechanic he said Hyd weather is dry and hot (around 40-45 deg). I ve started using coolant. Then last 4-5 years it was gradually rising and now reaching almost 100-105. (just touching bottom of red mark) So I thought of over hauling of radiator. I ve done acid cleaning and overhauling in last week but still problem persists. Just 5-6km drive in city it shoots up to 100 deg.
My mechanic is telling to use local radiator with big size which accommodates more water for circulation (he will do minor modifications for fitment) .But as on today I ve not fitted any local component. I am strongly feeling to get original petrol padmini radiator from Mumbai or pune and get fitted. But he is saying since the size is same and fan also same it will not give better result. Maximum it will reduce to 95 deg. Again after 1-2 years same problem will come.
I am in dilemma what to do? Whether go for original or local with big size. Can I use diesel padmini original radiator (big size) in my padmini? Plz suggest.
The cooling system designed by FIAT was not area specific The same thing that worked in Italian weather, works in Mumbai and would definitely work in any other part of the world as well with the correct medium of coolant (water, antifreeze, rust inhibitor, etc). If the car is equipped with the original standard radiator, please source just a new COPPER core. Changing the core is half a days job and would make the radiator practically as good as new. While the radiator is being serviced check the condition of the fan belt and check if it is slipping. Replace with FENNER make belt if necessary. Fit the radiator back with NEW hose pipes (please do not compromise here) and new TECIL make radiator cap (Nothing else will work the way is is meant to). After the radiator is fitted back in the car, open the drain valve on the cylinder block and radiator. Do not use force on the cylinder block drain valve. If it doesnt open, let it be, because if it breaks, consider yourself to be in big trouble. Using a running water hose, fill the cooling system with water and start the car with the hose continuously filling the radiator. When the water coming from the drain valves is as clean as the water entering the radiator, stop the procedure. Fill the cooling system with 1:1 ratio coolant ( of a known brand) and drinking water (Do not use bore well or hard water). If all this is done correctly, I can assure you that the temperature wont cross the operating temperature mark with everything running correctly and you wont need to top up the cooling system ATLEAST for the next six months (however it is always a good practice to check it every morning before starting the car).
Hope this helps

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 13th March 2010, 09:51   #167
Senior - BHPian

Adheesh does it implies to the closed type radiator also. The one with degass tank.
Old 13th March 2010, 11:10   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
One person Narendra, who lives in HYD is my friend in Orkut. He owns a Padmini and has the following problem. Please help him! His email id is :nvkale2@gmail.com

I quote:
Hi Arun,I have ailed Mr.Narendra and will invite him to FCCH Meet.I will be able to help his PP after refering it to my mechanic.
Old 13th March 2010, 11:19   #169
Senior - BHPian

Over Heating Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Adheesh does it implies to the closed type radiator also. The one with degass tank.
Hey Adheesh though you have helped Arun's friend directly to over come over heating issue however you are guiding others(inc me) indirectly to have the heating up issue to be resolved with cool.
Old 13th March 2010, 12:16   #170
BHPian

Quote:
The basic principles remain the same. In cars with degassing tank, the integrity of the degassing tank and the additional hoses is to be ensured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Hey Adheesh though you have helped Arun's friend directly to over come over heating issue however you are guiding others(inc me) indirectly to have the heating up issue to be resolved with cool.
Thanks !!

Regards,
Adheesh
Old 13th March 2010, 20:09   #171
Senior - BHPian

An interesting Day with Fiats

Phase 1:Heart break
Today i decided to head to the famous Suraj Talkies which is the scrapyard for Fiats and with the help of fellow FCCHian/T-Bhpian Shiva we landed up at the area what i call the Abbatoir di Fiat.
It was a sight to watch.A pile of Fiat doors on one corner,Engines lying on the ground like nobody's business,a heap of hubcaps,beadings,quarter glasses,drive shafts,gearboxes..it was just like an abbatoir.
Just in sight was a Premier Padmini undergoing a crackdown.Hammers and hammers banging the PP into pieces,the hacking was non-stop.
Just then a rickshaw was pulling out,which had an entire Fiat cut into pieces.I couldnt take anymore..my heart was bleeding.We left the place in a span of 15 minutes.

Phase 2: A Solace.
This early morning was when my 3 1/2 yr old son got his final year ending report card and he moved up into his next class.I had promised him to buy a Toy car in the evening.
We landed up in Landmark at 7pm and my son went to choose his fav car.From the display i pulled several boxes which had,Lamborghinis,Porsche,Range Rover,Subaru,Renault,BMW.At one sudden moment there was a flash in his eyes and he clutched a box and said he wanted this partcular car.I tried to reason him that infront of his eyes were all the super cars,but he refused the budge with his acquisition.Guess what it was : A Fiat 500 Scale model car.

My heart leapt in joy when he was so determined to have his fav car as a model.
This is what i call may be a Fiattitude of two different people with such age difference !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00005.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00008.jpg  

Old 13th March 2010, 20:39   #172
Senior - BHPian

That is what i feel, a real pity for the car. It seems you didn't had good feeling and your heart sank within 15 min. after seeing the chop job. But this is where the fun begins. Usually when any car is broken, we can have many of its parts for its sister car and can flick many without paying for it. I myself did this once when i flicked ash tray, and inner door handles.
It seems you just went there to have a look at the location. Next time you go there overpower your heart over mind. Look for what you can have from the dying soul. Just my way of looking at some things.
Old 13th March 2010, 20:58   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is what i feel, a real pity for the car. It seems you didn't had good feeling and your heart sank within 15 min. after seeing the chop job. But this is where the fun begins. Usually when any car is broken, we can have many of its parts for its sister car and can flick many without paying for it. I myself did this once when i flicked ash tray, and inner door handles.
It seems you just went there to have a look at the location. Next time you go there overpower your heart over mind. Look for what you can have from the dying soul. Just my way of looking at some things.
Sagar bhai..maybe next time,i will try to be more of a braveheart.Today was a shocker !!!
Old 13th March 2010, 20:59   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Today i decided to head to the famous Suraj Talkies which is the scrapyard for Fiats and with the help of fellow FCCHian/T-Bhpian Shiva we landed up at the area what i call the Abbatoir di Fiat.
Just in sight was a Premier Padmini undergoing a crackdown.Hammers and hammers banging the PP into pieces,the hacking was non-stop.
I couldnt take anymore..my heart was bleeding.We left the place in a span of 15 minutes.

This early morning was when my 3 1/2 yr old son got his final year ending report card and he moved up into his next class.I had promised him to buy a Toy car in the evening.
A Fiat 500 Scale model car.
My heart leapt in joy when he was so determined to have his fav car as a model.
Aah ram garu, so you finally paid a visit to the good(?) ol' slaughter house, eh? Two of the guys (other than the bearded guy) in the pic. seem to be Shaker Bhai's men, so this car must've been bought by him. He's the one most well-known to me. Incidentally, I spoke to shiva this afternoon, around 2pm, but he didnt tell me of you both going there today. Anyways, yes, I certainly understand it is indeed a heart-wrenching sight to see still roadworthy cars (in this case fiats) being hacked into bits....I've been through that, felt exactly the same when I'd begun visiting this place back in 2007; even worse as I'd seen even classic fiats (1100s) being scrapped at this very spot until a year ago! But I eventually got over it, and would concentrate on salvaging atleast the good/rare parts from some of the cars. And I'm glad I got to do so. You (or shiva atleast, who's already been there a few times- courtesy of yours truly- so would've gotten over the initial shock phase! ) should've tried and salvaged any quarter-glasses/door-handles/dicky handles you found lying around; these guys simply destroy them and crunch them into pulp and sell them by weight!
Anyways, good luck on your next expedition to Suraj Talkies!

And also sweet to see the car your tyke has picked! Like father like son! Maybe that would be your next fiat?! Hehe!

Quote:
Exactly! BTW, so you too are in the 'flicker' group, eh? Hehe!! Haat milAo!
Oh yes, sometimes that is so easy, isnt it? Considering that the guys who break the car are instructed to focus on getting the "main" parts off, so are often less likely to notice ashtrays and door handles etc. But we must not push our luck!

Last edited by Stanher : 13th March 2010 at 21:02.
Old 13th March 2010, 21:39   #175
Senior - BHPian

Rightly said Shyam. We should not push our luck to such extent that we are straight away refused even to buy parts. Yes me too in the parts flicking job. But i don't care for being caught or flicking parts as these people sell junk parts to us at premium. Think this way they buy a car and sell it for a profit as a junk dismantling its parts by selling aluminum,steel, glass, brass,copper, iron etc. And to top it up if we like minded people approach them for some parts they sell it as a unit at a higher price than the one quoted by recyclers. That is why i don't miss a chance to nick off some small bits whenever i get to do it. BTW whats the latest flick of yours.
Old 13th March 2010, 21:47   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Phase 1:Heart break
Just then a rickshaw was pulling out,which had an entire Fiat cut into pieces.I couldnt take anymore..my heart was bleeding.We left the place in a span of 15 minutes.
This exactly how all of us feel for the first few times!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
But I eventually got over it, and would concentrate on salvaging atleast the good/rare parts from some of the cars. And I'm glad I got to do so.
This is exactly what I do now!

Quote:
TUsually when any car is broken, we can have many of its parts for its sister car and can flick many without paying for it. I myself did this once when i flicked ash tray, and inner door handles.
I just flicked S1's dicky badges and Original SUNAX rear tail light lenses.

Last edited by arun1100 : 13th March 2010 at 21:49.
Old 13th March 2010, 21:59   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW whats the latest flick of yours.
None too recent, as I havent been to that place since quite some time now...nearly 6 months I guess. Nevertheless, I have very capable 'successors' whom I can count on in this regard.
Old 13th March 2010, 23:25   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have very capable 'successors' whom I can count on in this regard.
Shyam..May i know who are these "capable Successors" of yours who are in this scheme.I hope you are not counting me into this !!!

Last edited by hillram : 13th March 2010 at 23:30.
Old 13th March 2010, 23:56   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shyam..May i know who are these "capable Successors" of yours who are in this scheme.I hope you are not counting me into this !!!
No don't worry ram! I can see how much an effect going to that place itself has had on you, atleast for now.
I meant our other friends from FCCH! And I might add that even if they (or you) do 'succeed' me, I wouldnt expect them to do it for me (in any case, I would no longer need fiat spares for now anyways!) but for themselves!

But could I ask if you intend to buy any spares for your cars from there in future? If you get close enough to Shaker bhai, he would even tip you off on any classic fiats/cars turning up with him. That's how shiva got spares for his fiat the last time.
Old 14th March 2010, 00:17   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But could I ask if you intend to buy any spares for your cars from there in future? If you get close enough to Shaker bhai, he would even tip you off on any classic fiats/cars turning up with him. That's how shiva got spares for his fiat the last time.
I spotted some spare parts today at the scrapyard and shiva advised we go back there in a few days time as we heard that there will be a convoy of Fiats for butchering in next 2-3 days.
So i will be paying another visit too.

Infact from the scrapyard we went to see a 137D which was in a very bad state and coincidetally it belonged to a T-Bhpian who recognised me..Small world eh !!!
If i were to pick up this 137D,I would need lot of spares.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks