Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2010, 17:36   #376
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Sagar Bhai..137D didnt appeal tome very well.
Instead now I have started to look at a Premier Padmini Safari,the estate version of Premier Padmini.There is one available for sale.
Can anyone shed light on this model,when did it originate,what kind of engine it sported.Pics are welcome.
Behram Sir..Im sure you can shed some light on this..???
I remember seeing a padmini safari in 1979 or so.Was it sold by PAL directly or was the coachwork done by some Bombay firm.engine was the usual pal 1089 cc engine
Old 7th April 2010, 19:19   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by classico View Post
Was it sold by PAL directly or was the coachwork done by some Bombay firm.engine
Coachwork for Safari was done by Starline i guess.
Old 7th April 2010, 23:32   #378
Senior - BHPian

guys forgive my ignorance, I used to think the Padminis were modified in those days as similar to Ambassdors safari kind and I still believe Ambys' have not come in safari avtars, honestly I personally am not in favour of safari model on Premier Padmini as they have a shabby back with that glass on the sides, however there was a picture by one of our team BHPian from Kottayam showing a LHD safari which is rotting at a so called collector's place. I somehow like it. It also had unique taillamp projected and reverse light projected i.e., 1" or 1.1/2 inch.
Old 8th April 2010, 08:37   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ram - Here is one Premier Safari rotting away with a scrapper in Ahmednagar. I took this photograph in 2007. The car was rolled down without rear portion of the roof as PDA chassis (Premier Drive Away). The body was made by Deepak Chopra of Starline Motors in his workshop in Bhandup, Mumbai.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00124.jpg  

Old 8th April 2010, 09:27   #380
Senior - BHPian

Some pics of Safari type cars in Bangy. Not sure which is original. The first pic was posted by Karl and is a original Safari.

Sirji's quote from FCB thread.
Quote:
Dear Arun1100 - the car in the photograph is the "Premier Safari". As per the factory BOM, (Bill of Material), the model code was "PDA" (Premier Drive Away) chassis. It had doors but no dicky. It had a half roof, reinforced at the back by two pipes. As delivered from Kurla plant, the body was primed but not painted. The body was built by Starline Motors in Bhandup in suburban Mumbai. The Safari started in 1973 and the first car had an absolutely vertical tailgate and looked very ugly. This car was ceremoniously handed over the actor Shatrughan Sinha from the showroom of Starline Motors in Tardeo Mumbai in 1973. I was standing next to my friend Deepak Chopra who owned starline Motors. I am attaching one picture of a Premier Safari which I took in 2007 in Ahmednagar.

Incidentally, Deepak used to rally alongwith his friend Shyam Punjabi. Their rally team was known as "Team Fox Jackal". He had reduced the wheelbase of his rally prepared car and was it converted to a 2 door model. Its registration number was MMH2060.

My uncle had a dark blue Premier Safari MMD1045 which he gave to my brother-in-law who sold it in Aurangabad.

There used to be one more PAL dealer in Mumbai ny the name Maha Auto in Kalina near Kurla. Maha Auto had extended the wheelbase of one Premier Padmini car. Its registration number was MAP1600. It had the front seats which could be rotated by 90 degress for getting in and getting out. I tested it so I know. The handling was atrocious.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-mze1043.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc09754.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc09762.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-untitled2.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-01.jpg
Old 8th April 2010, 10:53   #381
Senior - BHPian

I can see some good pics of the Safari...Thanks folks.
Was the front side exactly same as the Premier Padmini,Imean the grill,headlights,indicators?
Old 8th April 2010, 10:58   #382
Senior - BHPian

So Ram bhai which safari back you liked the most from the above list.
Old 8th April 2010, 11:42   #383
Senior - BHPian

Sagar Bhai..the one with the round tailights is a very original one.But the Safari that has been offered to me,is no where near this originality.Hence im left in dichotomy.
Meanwhile i have been offered a 93 Deluxe BE with Nissan Gearbox,floor gears,AC,bucket seats and with Weber carburattor.Now im so tempted.Thats the problem with Fiats..they are irresistable !!!!!!!
In a week,I will finalise one of them-Safari or PP.
Old 8th April 2010, 12:25   #384
Senior - BHPian

IMHO if you are inclined towards the PP deluxe go for it after checking its originality. Deluxe BE refers to car having bench seats. It must be deluxe BU or else a conversion of seats.
Old 8th April 2010, 16:43   #385
Senior - BHPian

Sagar Bhai...it is indeed a BU version.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:43   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

'had gone to a local petrol pump today, to the ATM there to withdraw some cash. Then just beside it, I saw 2 fiats, one with faded paint. On a second and closer look, it turned out to be a good ol' Super-select! I'd been to this pump often but this was the first time I got to see this car there (being hidden by the ATM I guess it wouldnt be visible most of the time.)
I was told that both these fiats belong to the pump owner and are in regular use. The SS may not be 100% original, but nevertheless was a refreshing sight to see on an otherwise ordinary day! Should I get to meet the owner the next time I go there, I'd surely notify him about the FCCH.

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-ssel01.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-ssel02.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-img_5647.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-img_5649.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-ssel03.jpg

This incidentally reminds me of the time just before I had briefly left hyd. when there used to be a select or super-select seen every other day on or off road here! And occasionally an elegant/millecento. 'wish those days come back!

Last edited by Stanher : 8th April 2010 at 21:46.
Old 8th April 2010, 21:54   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sagar Bhai...it is indeed a BU version.
Ram Garu.. It must be Premier Padmini BE.

Premier Padmini cars came in following models:-

Premier Padmini Economy
Premier Padmini Standard
Premier Padmini Special

PDA(Premier Drive Away Chasis) also called Premier Safari

Premier Padmini Deluxe BE
Premier Padmini Deluxe
Premier Padmini Deluxe BE AC
Premier Padmini Deluxe AC

Premier Padmini 137D (with the 1366 cc FNM derived diesel engine)

Premier Padmini S1
Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe BE (column shift)
Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe
Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe BE AC
Premier Padmini S1 Deluxe AC.

Yet another quote from Sirji!

Quote:

Dear all - I am clarifying, there was never any "BU". If you have seen a badge, it is not original. Floor shift gear cars were just "Deluxe" with an "e". There was never any "Delux". If you have seen such a badge, either it is not original or it is broken or it is purposely cut. There was never any "Executive" also. You will never get to see the original tracings as they would have disappeared now, but I can proudly state that my signature was there on most of the drawings in the row of "appending engineer" with GM (R&D)'s signature in the final approver's row. One good thing about working there irrespective of everything was that - IN PRODUCT ENGINEERING, WE WERE EXTREMELY STRONG AND THOROUGH. All this thoroughness is helping me today also.

On reverse lights, all "Deluxe BE" and "Deluxe" series of cars had factory fitted reverse lights. If you observe carefully, you will see a sheet metal projection jutting into the passenger compartment on the top right side of the front left footwell only in this series of cars. We made this to incorporate the reverse light actuation switch which was fitted on the left side of the transmission, otherwise the switch was hitting the body. One wire was red, the other was black with a golden stripe on it. There was a grey coloured insulation on these wires. These wires passed between the legs of the speedometer cable locating bracket on the firewall. You should know all such minor details also. Just for information, there are numerous such small changes, like introduction of button to hold the speedometer driver gear on the mainshaft (1986), introduction of metallic speedometer driven gear only for Mumbai taxi supply cars (1988), introduction of 10 leaf rear springs only for Mumbai taxi supply cars (1988), introduction of cross wheel spanner with unequal length arms and different head attachments in one piece construction (1987). Introduction of small indentation on the top front face of the muffler to provide relief for the handbrake acutating rod of S1 BE cars, but commonized across models (1991), introduction of plain washer instead of metal strip to hold the front exhaust pipe on the "Y" bracket (1988), elimination of jute felt from the inside of the rear door inner handles of "Deluxe" cars only (1986), elimination of whitewall tyres (1986), introduction of "hold off" type wiper arms for "Deluxe BE" and "Deluxe" cars (1987), introduction of 12 mm * 12 mm * 0.8 mm deep indentations on the firewall upper to facilitate incorporation of batter cable mounting brackets for Premier Padmini 137D cars but commonized across all models (1990), introduction of clip on carburettor tray for holding the temperature guage sensor wire (1987), reducing the length of the horn mounting bolt only for cars having single horn (1986). There are numerous such FPC, RDS, OEG and EEG documents which we would release (Future Production Change / Release Delete Schedule / Optional Equipment Group / Extra Equipment Group). These are engineering documents which control the product specifications and deliverables to the end customer.

OH REE GEE NUL ITY ? THINK ABOUT IT.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by arun1100 : 8th April 2010 at 22:00.
Old 8th April 2010, 22:41   #388
Senior - BHPian

Posting a few teaser posters of Deluxe BE and Standard.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-pp-deluxe-poster.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 8th April 2010, 22:45   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I'd surely notify him about the FCCH
FCCH is already aware of these Fiats and the owner has already been contacted

Last edited by hillram : 8th April 2010 at 22:46.
Old 8th April 2010, 23:31   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
FCCH is already aware of these Fiats and the owner has already been contacted
Glad to know that! So this car would be present at the launch then.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks