Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:25   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Ram garu any luck from now onwards I am also planning to visit this place on a weeklybasis. Let me try my luck, who knows I might be delighted to have a DELIGHT/MILLECENTO/SUPERSELECT/PRESIDENT. I'm sounding greedy haa! My desire for these beauties will NEVER END.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Hope you find a good car with clean papers for yourself Chanu bhai. My best wishes are with you.
And my support with you too, bala! Do let me know in case the guys tries to fleece you!
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:38   #92
Senior - BHPian

Oh! now I am a HULK with Shyam & Sagars backing me up . I will enter the yard with BHAI ISHTYLE !! He he just kidding. Thankyou guys I am sure I should be lucky atleast getting atleast some spare part. Ram garu when shall we go and say "khul ja sim sim".
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:39   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hillram: I have never been to scrapyards,hence I dont know the semantics there.Will try.
Btw where is Suraj Talkies exactly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I will enter the yard with BHAI ISHTYLE !! He he just kidding. Thankyou guys I am sure I should be lucky atleast getting atleast some spare part. Ram garu when shall we go and say "khul ja sim sim".
Before FCB started, I had only heard that there is something called "gujiri"/scrapyard/Stephens Square in Shivajinagar which is just 2kms from house. After FCB, when I started driving my PP more, I needed parts frequently so I used to visit the scrapyard.

Note that when FCB started, we did not know what a Delight/ Select/ Millecento etc etc is.. nor their value... As all of us had only Padminis'. Karthik did not even know that his 1973 Fiat was a President.!

The FIRST time I got excited with scrapyard was when Karthik, Sujith and me found a Aluminum Delight grill hanging out in a shop. We had no idea the specialty of the grill. We read "FIAT"on the grill and we realized its a grill for our cars. Nobody except me was interested in it as it was a old model grille all wanted their cars to look sportier. They discouraged me to buy it as it would give old look to my car and the price quoted was too high at Rs. 300!!!! We thought who will pay so much for decades old grille.

The grille was hanging in the same shop for a week. By then I had realized that the grille did have some value and I finally picked it. THEN started my hunt to collect all the other Delight parts. To be frank from April 2009 till date almost I visit The Scrapyard daily! I now know everybody in the scrapyard and happy to say that all classic parts are reserved to FCB guys now. The reason why I don't like others to buy such parts is that they buy for the sake of selling it for a higher price later.

This Historic Alumium Delight Grill is on Karthik's S1 now.

For Karthik and me, its like a game going to the scrapyard daily. After his office which is a km from my house, we go and pick up some part from the scrapyard daily.

Wish you FCCH guys Happy SCRAPYARDing.

Last edited by arun1100 : 2nd March 2010 at 10:52.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:03   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Before FCB started, I had only heard that there is something called "gujiri"/scrapyard/Stephens Square in Shivajinagar which is just 2kms from house. After FCB, when I started driving my PP more, I needed parts frequently so I used to visit the scrapyard.

Note that when FCB started, we did not know what a Delight/ Select/ Millecento etc etc is.. nor their value... As all of us had only Padminis'. Karthik did not even know that his 1973 Fiat was a President.!

The FIRST time I got excited with scrapyard was when Karthik, Sujith and me found a Aluminum Delight grill hanging out in a shop. We had no idea the specialty of the grill. We read "FIAT"on the grill and we realized its a grill for our cars. Nobody except me was interested in it as it was a old model grille all wanted their cars to look sportier. They discouraged me to buy it as it would give old look to my car and the price quoted was too high at Rs. 300!!!! We thought who will pay so much for decades old grille.

The grille was hanging in the same shop for a week. By then I had realized that the grille did have some value and I finally picked it. THEN started my hunt to collect all the other Delight parts. To be frank from April 2009 till date almost I visit The Scrapyard daily! I now know everybody in the scrapyard and happy to say that all classic parts are reserved to FCB guys now. The reason why I don't like others to buy such parts is that they buy for the sake of selling it for a higher price later.

For Karthik and me, its like a game going to the scrapyard daily. After his office which is a km from my house, we go and pick up some part from the scrapyard daily.

I agree with every word of Arun. When we first met, our knowledge of Fiats was very naive. We have multiplied our knowledge to no bounds now. The fun of driving Fiats is awesome. The fun of having a good time in scrap yard is a different passion/game altogether. We feel pretty good whenever we visit the scrap yard.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

All of your confessions on Scrapyard,have now raised my interest to go there.I will soon check out and bring back some pics.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

Sure! We would love to see the pics.

Arun Arun Arun: Do you think we need to start a thread with pics of scrap yards all over India?
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:29   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Arun Arun Arun: Do you think we need to start a thread with pics of scrap yards all over India?
Check out this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...rk-eulogy.html

Last edited by arun1100 : 2nd March 2010 at 11:35.
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:41   #98
Senior - BHPian

wow! What an interesting thread. It looks lot different from Stephen's Square
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:53   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post

You Bangalorians are very lucky to have the scrapyard near your house. It must be within city limits. Here in Lucknow it is located on the city outskirts and is about 10 KMS from my house(one way). It is situated at Sitapur road which Arun bhai can recognise if he remembers.
Even i didn't knew the names of the fiat models until i conversed with you guys. Still i have to learn a lot about these cars though.

BTW Arun bhai it seems that till date you had stocked so much amount of parts that your house must be looking like a spare dealer's warehouse.
Have you succeeded in getting all the necessary parts for your car. I think the economy models had the full rubber bumper guards. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:30   #100
Senior - BHPian

Friends..I had a look at a 137D with AC(not sure factory fitted),bucket seats,Floor gears with 118 NE Gear box,white in colour,post overhaul it has done 5000kms,body and interiors are good.Seller asking for 35K.
What are the problems with 137D?where is the achilles heel?
I always wanted to own a Diesel PP.
Whats your take guys?
OT: We have reached 100 posts !!! Yipee !!
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:46   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post

BTW Arun bhai it seems that till date you had stocked so much amount of parts that your house must be looking like a spare dealer's warehouse.
Yeah man. But as other FCB guys helped me in getting these parts, I am giving them whatever they need.

I got screwed properly at home when my parents saw all the parts hidden in my cupboard.

Quote:
Have you succeeded in getting all the necessary parts for your car. I think the economy models had the full rubber bumper guards. Please correct me if i am wrong.
Luckily, the full rubber bumper guards are still on my car. And for spares sake, i have half a dozen of them!

Hillram:
We don't have a single PP Diesel in FCB.!! But recently we met a old man having 137D. He was very satisfied with it as it gives 18kmpl in city!
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:26   #102
Senior - BHPian

18kmpl in city is outstanding.Time to lay my hands of a 137D.
Old 3rd March 2010, 07:27   #103
Senior - BHPian

Even i planned to purchase the all original 137D early next yr but when Arun bhai stated that it will not be fun to drive as any petrol car, i thought of scrapping the idea.
Ram bhai if you acquire it you can use it as a daily runner. It still manages to give very good millage around 16-18KMS city without ac and 22 KMS highway. My friend used to have one so i know a little about this model.
Regarding the price, don't give a penny above 25-30k. Its not worth more that.
Do take the AC unit with it (aftermarket) don't negotiate on it.
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:22   #104
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your inputs Sagar.I intend to close the deal on 137D by this weekend.
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

Will surely look forward for some pics of your newly acquired 137D.

Most Viewed