Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2010, 22:12   #316
Senior - BHPian

Bala,good to see your Blue Angel getting a proper bath.Its a nice experiance to drive the car after a wash.
Old 27th March 2010, 22:31   #317
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Bala, quite some time back i had the same problem. when i drive for some 10-15kms then i could start my car if it gets off or if i turn off, if it gets off in traffic, i had to push or look for inclined roads. the difficult time i faced is when i was driving alone. i didnt feel bad though for that, i got the battery chked several times, they all used to tell battery is discharged and charging is required, it used to go well for a week then the same old problem, then my friend found the reason for voltage discharge the problem is bonnet was touching the battery terminal. i repositioned the battery properly and provided insulator for the terminal. problem was reduced but not solved properly. it was difficult to start my car after 2-3days, if it starts at 1 or 2 cranks it starts or else no situation occurred. fed up with that and then took the car to Standard auto electrical service. They rectified the problem was with alternator, they replaced the coil, Relay, Faulty wirings, cutout and many more parts. charges 3k but i m happy now coz i can start my car even after 15days. starts at 1or 2 cranks, using Electronic fuel pump and choke. i learnt the Technic at last. i refill the distilled water my self once in 2 months.
Old 27th March 2010, 22:45   #318
Senior - BHPian

Arun,Bala..BAttery vows are very common and most irritating problem for any car.To keep my car batteries in form,I have made a roster,where i crank the cars periodically every 2-3 days.
Also Exide Freedom i feel is the best battery and maintenance free.6 of my cars run on Exide and 2 on Amaron.Each of the Fiats are on Exide and Amaron.
Another experiance i have is the service with Battery dealers.They comeup with strange,self created theories and put the fault entirely on us.
Old 27th March 2010, 23:26   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
AAha great to see your car bala bhai in exclusivity. It looks shiny after servicing. Do give her a coat of mild polish to add sparkle.
BTW check your PM inbox and please do reply.
Oh! I actually forgot about the polishing, nice that you reminded Sagar I will do it sometime, or I have a painter who would come home to get the polishing done for my cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Good going.. Guess you are preparing for the big day of FCCH!
Hope you got her greased too!
No Arun bhai! I've not as I was not happy with the grease the station guy was using, will take it to someother place for that, Ram Sir any suggestions here at our place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Bala,good to see your Blue Angel getting a proper bath.Its a nice experiance to drive the car after a wash.
Yes indeed Ram garu, the car is fresh, and the smell inside the car after the wash, little water here and there wetting your trouser, I like that. My washing guy has increased the prices and now its 230/- full wash and 180/- body wash I guess I should start the hardwork again to save money.
Old 28th March 2010, 14:13   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are a couple of neat cars being restored in Hyderabad with a gentleman named Mr. Rao - you guys should approach him to be involved with the club. He also had a 600 that was nearing completion when I last saw it.

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-fiat01.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-fiat02.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-fiat03.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-01.jpg

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-02.jpg
Old 28th March 2010, 14:34   #321
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Karl for the leads.I shall pursue Mr.Rao to join FCCH.

Bala,there is a car cleaning chap near my house,who does execellent,washing,greasing etc.You can bring your Blue Angel anytime to get this done.
Old 28th March 2010, 15:11   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are a couple of neat cars being restored in Hyderabad with a gentleman named Mr. Rao - you guys should approach him to be involved with the club. He also had a 600 that was nearing completion when I last saw it.]
Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that a Citroen DS in the background of the second picture ?
Old 28th March 2010, 20:27   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that a Citroen DS in the background of the second picture ?
yes it is, was about to ask the same question. Is she posted on the forum some where???
Old 28th March 2010, 22:55   #324
Senior - BHPian

Enjoyful sunday

Wow! had a long day and was driving most of the day, starting at 5:30 am. Car started in single twist (thanks to the new battery) and filled up gas and then started the romance (driving), was anxious to touch 100 km ph today and was restless to get out the city bottle necks, and when the BLUE ANGEL landed up at HYDERABAD>BANGLORE highway at a place KOTHUR the max i could do is 80 km ph though disappointed but happy (didn't want my babe to strain) but a question here is that the max we can do in a PP, if not what should I be doing for her. I remember a post showing 120 kmph.

I also have couple of techinal question. Why does the car jump on 1st gear when empty or full with passengers, what is the max or danger level of heat meter (sorry dont know the tech name).
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-meter-2.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-meter-1.jpg  

Old 28th March 2010, 23:03   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
but a question here is that the max we can do in a PP, if not what should I be doing for her. I remember a post showing 120 kmph.
A pic of Karthik's S1.. It almost reached 130kmph that day.. BTW, its on Bangalore-Hyderabad highway just after new Airport!

I was driving the car and this pic is very Nostalgic to me as it was the first time I drove a FIAT at that speed.!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-.jpg  

Old 28th March 2010, 23:05   #326
Senior - BHPian

Chanu: I guess you need to get the Clutch play adjusted. hence the jump. None of the PPs I have driven jump like that..

Is your car driven just 29,000 kms?

Edit: I just read your previous posts.. Wow! Very less driven Fiat.. My First PP is driven 34,000kms and the grey one is 40,000 kms...

Behram Sir's BLL 4919, the red PP, is driven just 19,000 kms!

Last edited by arun1100 : 28th March 2010 at 23:09.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:11   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
A pic of Karthik's S1.. It almost reached 130kmph that day.. BTW, its on Bangalore-Hyderabad highway just after new Airport!

I was driving the car and this pic is very Nostalgic to me as it was the first time I drove a FIAT at that speed.!
My S1 could easily do 120KMPH and we drove for some time in 130KMPH. We hadnt gone all out. Dont know if it could stretch beyond 140KMPH. My 1974 President did 120KMPH once, the speedo was shaking quite a bit. The sound and some vibrations made me feel like I was in a jet. I think my President meter was a bit erroneous, but generally I am sure it had atleast hit 100KMPH.

My 1991 118 NE can do 135-140 with ease and have hit a top speed of 150KMPH once enroute to Goa on the Bangalore Pune highway. I could feel completely in control and the car had no unusual sounds of vibrations. By the way, my NE has headers and free flow. I am sure that wouls have helped it touch 150 mark
Old 28th March 2010, 23:16   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all in Hyderabad / Bangalore - in the last 2 pages, I have read about starting issues due to battery issues. Please do as indicated, your cars will work properly. If you don't do as indicated, your cars will not work properly. This is for upgrading the charging system.

Use Lucas TVS SA15 brand new alternator. These were supplied as OE to brand new carburettor driven Maruti 800 cars and are freely available across the country. Go to an authorized Lucas TVS dealer and purchase. Some guys will try to sell you the same alternator but with the packing box indicating as being for tractor use. You can buy this alternator also, it is exactly same but tax is less due to "agricultural use" (approximately rupees 2200 to 2500). Then please see if you can lay your hands on an S1 alternator mounting bracket and brace. The bracket is made of cast iron and then machined. The brace has 2 bends in 2 planes. I will post photographs shortly when I am in Mumbai (I am in Nasik just now). I have around 10 sets lying at home. Use only good quality TVS make 8.8 grade bolts to mount the alternator. I pick up alternator mounting brackets whenever I get them. Please wire the new alternator as follows:

If the car had a dynamo, it would also have a voltage regulator ("cut out" in garage jargon). Remove this regulator and throw it out. It will have a thick brown wire going to a point marked "D" (dynamo). There will also be another thin wire attached to this thick wire with a common terminal. Cut the common terminal and throw it out. Splay the ends of both the wires with a good 6" Taparia make plier. There is a thin black wire going to a point marked "F" (field coil) with an open ended terminal. Cut this terminal and throw it out. Splay this wire and connect it to the thin wire which came fromthe "D" terminal. Tape the connection with a good insulation tape properly. There is a thick pink wire going to a terminal marked "B" (battery), equipped with a round terminal. Cut the terminal and throw it out. Splay this wire. Connect it to the thick brown wire which came from the "D" terminal. Tape the joint securely. Now tape all the joints thus formed securely using the wiring harness quality black tape. This tape is freely available. The name of the manufacturer is "Notre". Bring the dynamo ends of the thick pink and the thin red wires up, clean them and tape them properly. Buy one Maruti 800 2 point connector having a composite base having 2 connectors at 90 degree orientation. Press this connector in the alternator slot marked "L" and "IG". Do not connect the "IG" wire anywhere, just hide it inside the tape to prevent it from touching anywhere. Connect the thin black wire of the wiring harness formed after discarding the dynamo voltage regulator to the "L" terminal of the connector coming out of the alternator. Tape this joint properly. Connect the round connector of the thick pink wire of the harness to the main output point of the alternator and tighten this M6*1.0 threaded nut by using a size 10 spanner. Use a slightly longer fan belt to drive the alternator. Ask for an old Matador size belt. They are freely available. Start the engine and check the headlights for brightness etc. If your old dynamo was an almost dud, you will be amazed at the transformation of the electrical system.

All above was normal work which I expect any self respecting electrician to know and do properly (easier said than done though!). IF you want still better performance as I do because all my cars have 140/110 watts headlights with GE bulbs (daylight in front of me!), you will need to shunt the alternator. For this, it is necessary to purchase only "FINOLEX 84" size wire in suitable length (25 mts costs around 1500 rupees at current rate), solder correct sizes of terminals at both ends and CONNECT THE MAIN OUTPUT OF THE ALTERNATOR DIRECTLY TO EITHER THE BATTERY POSITIVE TERMINAL OR TO THE POSITIVE TERMINAL OF THE SOLENOID SWITCH. I prefer the direct shunt to the battery but you must be very careful to locate the shunt, route it and tape it properly. Also please read the thread in the "Technical Information on Premier Padmini" thread for further details. Also read my comments on page 60 of the hadlights thread elsewhere on the forum.

If in doubt, please ask.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 28th March 2010, 23:39   #329
Senior - BHPian

Thats a detailed explanation.. My grey PP is still on Dynamo, but working fine.. Will follow this procedure on my other PP.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:41   #330
Senior - BHPian

This is a good learning. If I happen to upgrade to 110/140 bulbs, will follow the same

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks