Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2010, 11:49   #961
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I think this is the correct thread to share this information because although I have 8 FIAT monograms with me, you will agree that getting the 9th one is not a bad idea. There was this fantastic condition untouched aluminium delight grille with a delight monogram on one taxi in Mumbai. As we all know the fate of these cars, I was after the owner, a genial Sardar, to give me the grille and monogram. He kept postponing it until it was too late. Last week by the grace of God, I happened to pass by that area and I found him dismantling the car as he was buying a new Santro. The sad thing was that the grille was completely damaged beyond repair. I just about managed to get the monogram, although it was sad to see the grille go. I just washed the monogram at home with Axion (the utensils cleaner) and it is glowing as good as new now.

The car was an original Fiat 1100 delight which did not have anything else worth salvaging. THE CAR IS GONE FOREVER. THE MONOGRAM GETS A NEW LEASE OF LIFE WITH ME NOW. IT IS UNBELIEVEABLE BUT TRUE. IF I WAS EVEN 5 MINUTES LATE, THE MONOGRAM WOULD HAVE ALSO DISAPPEARED FOREVER. I JUST HAPPENED TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 12th September 2010, 13:46   #962
Senior - BHPian

Dear Behram Sir..Its always nice to hear from you passionate stories about Fiat.
I too have started to collect Fiat 1100 Monograms and now have 3 of them.
Im shortly going to acquire a Delight grill from a FCCH member.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:07   #963
BHPian

Necklace road will be OK

[quote=hillram;2065909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvkale2 View Post
1. Koti (Near women college stop or Andhra bank circle) but parking problem
2. Nampelly ( Opp. Neo royal Hotel parking of station circle)
3. Abids (Opp Big bazar/Post circle)

All the three spots are very busy traffic areas and practically difficult to park Fiats for long time.
Besides the rendez-vous point is not for display,but wait for other members to join slowly as per IST(Indian Strecheable Time).
Our main focus will be display of cars at Gandipet which is attracting so many people these days due to raised water levels of the Gandiper reservoir.

Plan B is to assemble asusual at Necklace Road and drive to Gandipet via Masab Tank.
Lets decide the plan by tomorrow evening as we need to start informing many members.
Suren,Shiva,Bala..please respond.
Yes your point is correct. So we'l plan (B) at Necklace road. But not at railway station. Once we take a turn from NTR garden circle to necklace road imeadiately towards Hussainsagar side there is a parking place on road side. ( Before eat street where some exhibition always will be there) . I think that will be the perfect spot and quick to locate. Let us plan accordingly.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:39   #964
Senior - BHPian

[quote=nvkale2;2066759]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post

Yes your point is correct. So we'l plan (B) at Necklace road. But not at railway station. Once we take a turn from NTR garden circle to necklace road imeadiately towards Hussainsagar side there is a parking place on road side. ( Before eat street where some exhibition always will be there) . I think that will be the perfect spot and quick to locate. Let us plan accordingly.
Im fine with this plan.Lets inform the members accordingly.
Old 12th September 2010, 23:40   #965
Senior - BHPian

Mr Behram Sir I am happy for the monogram which got saved and regret for the grille which should have also come to you nevertheless something is better than nothing. The day when I saw the cyclist with Fiat monogram I thought this is the last chance and I got it, this also tought me a lesson whatever is yours will be yours and what is missed is never yours but attempt should be there with a positive approach.

Sorry couldn't post due to the net being down. Why not some new locations guys rather in and around necklace road, we shall try places like Indira park, Nampally near L.B.Stadium entrance, or we can drive from chaderghat via Mozam Jahi road then Exhibition grounds and reach Lalbahadur stadium where we have parking place and all the above mentioned place we can stop for a while if situation permits.
Old 13th September 2010, 00:22   #966
BHPian

I think we'l stick to PLan B this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Why not some new locations guys rather in and around necklace road, we shall try places like Indira park, Nampally near L.B.Stadium entrance, or we can drive from chaderghat via Mozam Jahi road then Exhibition grounds and reach Lalbahadur stadium where we have parking place and all the above mentioned place we can stop for a while if situation permits.
Balagaru,
i think we'l stick to Plan B now. Beacause more you discuss it'l be confusing till last moment. Indira park and LB nagar stadium entrance willl be the meeting spot for next meet. yes one thing we can do, you come to my house by 08:45 and then our both FIATs will go together to Necklace road.
Old 15th September 2010, 23:13   #967
BHPian

Ministers driving old FIATs/Premier Padminis !!

I read this news in Hindi Vaarta. It is inspiring for all old FIAT/Padmini lovers!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-fiat_padmini.jpg  

Old 16th September 2010, 07:42   #968
BHPian

Inspired by kale sir, saw this article on The Hindu May 11th 2010

Save the Fiat 1100

The Premier Padmini C.S. Ananth modified into a rally car. Photo: M. Karunakaran

Praveen sent his Premier Padmini to the scrap yard to free up space in his garage. Today, he regrets that hasty decision. Many can relate to this. Premier Padminis and other Fiat 1100s have become a rare sight; and those gripped by nostalgia for these cars can't easily get hold of one. The situation is not unique to Chennai. Every other metro has been registering a sharp fall in Fiat 1100 numbers. To protect and cherish this Fiat, a synonym for car travel to generations of Indians, exclusive 1100 clubs have been formed in Bengaluru, Mumbai, Pune, Lucknow and Hyderabad.
Among their objectives is preventing these cars from going to the scrap yard. After saving the Fiats from this familiar fate, these clubs face the challenge of providing support to owners in restoring these cars.
“Sourcing Fiat 1100 parts is becoming an uphill task. The body and rubber trims are impossible to get,” says C.S. Ananth, who has a 1989 Premier Padmini. “Morris Minor, which is found in plentiful numbers around the world and has humungous owners' clubs, is helped by companies prepared to make their parts. Because they are considerably fewer, Fiat 1100 don't evoke a similar response from auto parts manufacturers. Even in Mumbai, where a small number of Padminis still ply as taxis, such help has not come for the 1100.”
“A few parts that are being specifically made for the Fiat 1100 are not of a quality that matches the original. A North-India based company has made 1,000 Millecento taillight lenses available. A pair of this lens sells for Rs. 400 to Rs. 1,500 around the country. While such products may not meet high standards, the underlying attempt to provide parts for the 1100 is heartening,” says Jaikumar, owner of a 1956 Millicento.
Only if the 1100 goes up considerably in the estimation of classic car collectors, production of parts specific to them can be expected. At present, except for the Elegants, the Millecentos and other 1100s from the 1950s and early 1960s, a Fiat in running condition fetches a price somewhere between Rs.20,000 and Rs.30,000. Ananth says a well-restored Fiat 1100 will fetch an attractive price. “People are slowly waking up to the ‘classic' value of the 1100.”
Jaikumar strikes a less optimistic note. “Only the earlier 1100 models evoke considerable interest. It will take some more time before all models appear equally interesting.”
Among positive signs is the fancy for the S1, Premier Padmini's swansong. This car, which was manufactured in the second half of the 1990s, is desired due to some of its unique features. “It came with the 118NE's gearbox. It had the stock 1098 cc engine, but got a new head that was made in collaboration with an Austrian company,” says Jaikumar. “The coming generations will find it more interesting than we do. But the Fiat's future lies in our hands.”
A rush of memories
For many, the Fiat 1100 is imbued with nostalgia. This is especially true of those who were into car rallies a few decades ago; and also car racers at Sholavaram. C.S. Ananth used to rally and race in a 1971 Fiat, which he gave up when Maruti 800 came on the scene in the Eighties. Ananth preserved the past by keeping all the special equipment, indispensable during rallies and races. Three years ago, Ananth picked up a 1989 Fiat and modified it into a rally car. The preserved parts, including a Halda special pilot, roll cage, a circuit breaker, and a sump guard, went into the new Fiat.
Ranjit Pratap, who has some of the choicest classic cars, is specially attached to his 1957 Fiat Elegant for the torrent of childhood memories it brings. Ranjit took a lot of trouble restoring it. When he went to inspect the car in Salem, there was nothing in it that he could write home about. After setting it on its four wheels, he faced the headache of sourcing parts unique to Fiat Elegant. It is customary for owners of Fiat 1100s to make do with parts from other Fiats within the 1100 family. Instead of taking the path of least resistance, he made arrangements for sourcing Elegant parts from various places in the country. For a few others, he made contact with Fiat associates in Italy. The restoration took two long years. For a car that now takes him decades back, says Ranjit, this was not too big a task.

Last edited by sushil_n79 : 16th September 2010 at 07:44. Reason: editing
Old 19th September 2010, 00:25   #969
Senior - BHPian

All set for the FCCH meet on Sunday.Because of the upcoming Fuel strike and some important FCCH members attending some personal priorities,we have cancelled the drive to gandipet,which will be done next month.
Old 19th September 2010, 06:10   #970
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Ram!
I feel you guys should just conduct a Meet so that it will be convenient to all. After that a drive may be.

BTW when can we see the two Elegants' of Founder Members in FCCH Meet?
Old 19th September 2010, 08:51   #971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
Hi Ram!
I feel you guys should just conduct a Meet so that it will be convenient to all. After that a drive may be.

BTW when can we see the two Elegants' of Founder Members in FCCH Meet?
Thanks for the advice Karthik.
FCCH meets happen by default on 2nd Sunday every month.Hence every member is aware of this.Since last weekend was festival period,we had to push it to this Sunday.
Also there are always contingencies and we have to give room for personal priorities of members such as family issues,profession etc,which can crop up last minute.Life is a learning !!
Suren's Elegant will be there today and Shiva's Elegant will be ready in due course of time.Do stay tuned !!!

Last edited by hillram : 19th September 2010 at 08:54.
Old 19th September 2010, 11:14   #972
BHPian

hi Guys found this article which is really nice:

Unplanned trip to JAWHAR in a Premier Padmini
Unplanned trip to Jawhar (Article posted 26-07-10, 01:12 PM)
-----------------------------

Had intially planned to hit karjat, but plans went kaput on Saturday since bookings at the Saguna baug resort were full

There was no way i was going to give up, since we were all geared up for an outing.

Jawhar been a mysterious location and much discussed amongst my office buddies, so we decided to hit Jawhar!!

Challenges
--------------

I was driving a 17 yr old ( Trusty and well maintained ) Premier padmini petrol 1993 model.

I had not found good tyres, stephney was not in good shape.
I was not concerned earlier since we were going to karjat, but Jawhar which was a good 120 Kms away was a different piece of cake.

We had planned a one day return trip since my wife had to attend office nexy day.

Sunday
-------
Since it was almost last minute decision to hit jawhar, we were not at all prepared.

Started pretty late @ 8 am from Ghatkopar, my office buddy Darshan and his wife were going to accompany us, picked them up from thane.

Route
-------
Thane - NH3 - Bhiwandi - Wada - Jawhar

It was nice to cruise on Nh3 doing 60-70k's till we turned left for Bhiwandi.
Had heard horror stories of people getting stuck in Jams. but we managed to get out of Bhiwandi in 30 minutes! since roads were average.

After Bhiwandi the road to Wada was a mixed bag, with good stretches alongwith really horrible ones! YES i mean it.

Craters, slush, HUGE pothholes which could goobble up a M800 and Heavy Duty trailer traffic.

Padmini was equal to the task and needed some planning to overtake those long trucks.

The scene on this road was dotted with few villages and many industries, so it was not really scenic, but we stopped enroute for some breakfast.

Thanks to almost flat bonnet of my Padmini, we did not have to look for a table, and it was fun sipping in Hot tea and munching some delicious snacks while we savoured the scenary at that stop.

It was rainy season , and we could see people bending their backs cultivating rice in Lush green or should i say flourescent green fields.....

We carried on and then reached Wada around 11.30 pm, we missed the turn to Jawhar due to some misguidance and carried staright ahead.

What a road it was!!!! it was heavenly road which was narrow and was as wide as a BUS, but it was remote with almost no traffic and very very scenic!!

After being spellbound by the scenary and after almost 17kms we wondered if we were going in the right direction.

We then stopped at a bridge and then discovered we were heading towards Khodala.

I had heard about its beauty, and felt like going ahead, but time was premium and we had to hit Jawhar.

So we turned back and took a turn 2kms before wada , and then hit jawhar highway via tembhepada village.

As soon as we hit highway, it was a relief since the internal road was not at all pleasent, it was isolate, narrow , and was average, but it was exciting no doubt.........you can find such roads if you get lost.......

Jawhar road was smooth and we were following a spiritedly driven ST bus whose driver knew that road well.

I was determined to oevrtake him and did it easily.
The road was so involving, i could not savour its beauty,it was just me , my Padmini and the twisties!

As we neared Jawhar, we found Hotel Shrushti which was like a Dhaba which seemed a good stop over for Lunch.We gorged on deliously hot Chicken handi and it started raining.

Rains in hills have some kind of magic and the very feeling can make you change your plans.

Convinced my wife that we will stay overnight, and also convinced her that she will be in office next day @ 10 am!! ( i had that belief in My Padmini ).

So called Hotel Pushpanjali and booked a room, this is a pretty good hotel which is 1km from Jawhar bus depot and is well maintained.

We the hit the road again for dabhosa waterfalls which is enroute the road to Khodala from Jawhar.

Again we missed the main road and were going thorugh unknown interiors!! it was risky since the road was almost a offroad track with broke tarmac at several pathches.......but when you are in a Padmini who cares!!

We felt like stopping at numerous places and must say Jawhar is really an unexplored place, and a must visit in rains........

We reached Dabhosa falls , but were disappointed to know that it needed a good 45 minute trek to reach its base, we cound only enjoy its view from a distance.

We then returned back to see Shirpmal.
This is a kind of post which was created when Shivaji maharaj passed thourgh Jawhar enroute to Surat.

Its located at a vantage point form where you get a good 360 deg view!
It was a blanket of green in various shades.........its an ideal place to sit relax and do nothing................

We then headed back to Jawhar and reached Jai vilas palace, whose entrance we discovered was right opposite Hotel Shrushti! since it was 6pm Palace was closed..............

So it back to Hotel and then back to Hotel Shrushti for Dinner.
It was 9 pm and now the fog set in! we were dinning in foggy conditions and it was a unique experience..........

We then started back and it was great to drive in fog with only the left headlight, right side bulb went out and slowly we reached Hotel.

MONDAY
-----------
Started early @ 6, and drove flat out till we were 25 kms from Bhiwandi. stopped for 15 mins to have tea and then continued furthur.
We got stuck in some traffic in Bhiwandi and now it started raining really heavy, visibility was low and we were short of time!!

So continued driving normally and reached Thane by 9.20am!!
Darshan & his wife bid goodbye to us, due to powai's notorious traffic my Wife reached office by 10.20am!!!!!!

All in all a really good trip, and the best part was that there were no planning, but whatever we decided came out good.............
i was lucky there were no punctures inspite of hostile road conditions in few stretches......love you Padmini.......

Source of the content : http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/trav...admini-t24864/
Enjoy the pics........
Attached Images

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Do make sure that you provide the references/original source for every piece of material that has been taken from another website/publication, to give credit to the original author.

Please PM us with the link / source so that we may edit the post and include it appropriately.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th September 2010 at 14:32. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
sushil_n79 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th September 2010, 12:11   #973
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sushil - thank you for the wonderful travelogue to Jawhar. This brings back old memories when we used to have our annual MASA Monsoon Night Rally in July every year. I also used this road very regularly (Mumbai - Bhiwandi - Ambadi - Wada - Khodala - Devgaon - Nasik) to reach Nasik as I work in M&M thereas the regular Nasik highway would be perenially jammed. You should also try to approach Khodala from Kasara. Take the Nasik highway upto Kasara, start climbing the ghat and after a couple of kilometers, you will find the Khodala turnoff, going below the railway line. It is a beautiful 21 kilometers long ghat but be very careful as there is no retaining wall at all and the road is very narrow. Also be careful of Jeep taxis coming from the opposite direction without any kind of warning. This used to be one of our rally special stages. Thank God it was in the night and we could not see the sheer drops. From Khodala, you can take a left turn which is the Khodala - Wada road. This is a 35 kms long sector which is also extremely scenic. If you take a right turn, you eventually come out at Trimbakeshwar, 60 kms away. Take a right turn again to go to Nasik, 30 kms further.

I am attaching two photographs of my rally car MMY43 of the Nasik rally of 1991, when we rallied in this terrain. You can see the twin Solex carburettor installation / reinforced suspension / steering mounting. It ran like a bomb. It gave 7 kms per liter. Petrol was 5 rupees a liter.

Nowadays the regular Nasik highway has improved somewhat due to the 4 laning which has happened.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-scan0022.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-scan0005.jpg  

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 19th September 2010 at 12:13.
Old 19th September 2010, 13:11   #974
BHPian

@ Behram Sir,
Is there any specific reason to have 118NE wheel rims on Padmini during its rally use ??
I have seen atleast 20-30 photographs here on TBHP in which Padmini is fitted with 118NE wheel rims & they are being used for rallies.
One more question,
Is Padmini needed any further modifications except Seat Belts & Roll Cage (?) ??
(Any weight reduction ?? )
Old 19th September 2010, 13:55   #975
Senior - BHPian

FCCH Meet at Necklace Road

Admist the Ganesh immersions on the HussainSagar Lake,FCCH meet happened successfully and perhaps the most memorable meet as we practically inducted 3 Fiat 1100 Elegants into FCCH,thanks to the enthusuastic new members.
As usual myself and Shiva drove up first and lined up and soon we saw a black Elegant draw up.At first I thought it was Suren,but it turned out to be the new member,an Industrialist from Old city,Mr.Mustaq Hussain who has a collection of vintage cars.He introduced humbly and showed his 1956 Elegant,which is the most original Elegant in FCCH.It was good to see Veteran Fiat owners show up with their beauties and passion and gave us their experiances of their Fiat 1100s.
Then we drove to see the other Elegants of Mr.Hussain and Mr.Rao.Here we were intorduced to a fantastic mechanic who took pride in working with yesteryear Fiats.This was getting more interesting as he started to tell us about the spare parts and how to procure them.
In the end it was a rich day for FCCH to meet new members and some classic Fiats and some good mechanics who can help restore these Fiats for our members.
Tentativly,We decided that the next meet will be in the Old city and will be organised by Mr.Hussain at one of his "Purani Havelis" with a heritage background.
While driving back on the Necklace Road,we were greeted by revellers who came to immerse the ganesha idols and several of them stopped us to take pictures !!
Finally it was a FIATful day and Team Bhpian Spirit, i.e togatherness !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00002.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00003.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00001.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00004.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-dsc00006.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks