Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2010, 14:11   #976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sushil - thank you for the wonderful travelogue to Jawhar. This brings back old memories when we used to have our annual MASA Monsoon Night Rally in July every year. I also used this road very regularly (Mumbai - Bhiwandi - Ambadi - Wada - Khodala - Devgaon - Nasik) to reach Nasik as I work in M&M thereas the regular Nasik highway would be perenially jammed. You should also try to approach Khodala from Kasara. Take the Nasik highway upto Kasara, start climbing the ghat and after a couple of kilometers, you will find the Khodala turnoff, going below the railway line. It is a beautiful 21 kilometers long ghat but be very careful as there is no retaining wall at all and the road is very narrow. Also be careful of Jeep taxis coming from the opposite direction without any kind of warning. This used to be one of our rally special stages. Thank God it was in the night and we could not see the sheer drops. From Khodala, you can take a left turn which is the Khodala - Wada road. This is a 35 kms long sector which is also extremely scenic. If you take a right turn, you eventually come out at Trimbakeshwar, 60 kms away. Take a right turn again to go to Nasik, 30 kms further.

I am attaching two photographs of my rally car MMY43 of the Nasik rally of 1991, when we rallied in this terrain. You can see the twin Solex carburettor installation / reinforced suspension / steering mounting. It ran like a bomb. It gave 7 kms per liter. Petrol was 5 rupees a liter.

Nowadays the regular Nasik highway has improved somewhat due to the 4 laning which has happened.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Dhabhar Sir,
Its Indeed a pleasure to hear from you. and thanks for the detailed description Yes indeed . this reminded of my trip to Matheran when I was Posted in Bombay. It was indeed a pleasure to drive on the ghat roads then.Since then has been some time since I Lived with a Premier padmini/ My Fathers premier which was at bhopal, It was corroded beyond repair and also because lack of proper documents , I had to sell it this june . but am in the process of hunting for a better PP for myself, So the good times will be back again. your rally Cars look simply great.

Thanks and regards

Sushil Narayanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Admist the Ganesh immersions on the HussainSagar Lake,FCCH meet happened successfully and perhaps the most memorable meet as we practically inducted 3 Fiat 1100 Elegants into FCCH,thanks to the enthusuastic new members.
As usual myself and Shiva drove up first and lined up and soon we saw a black Elegant draw up.At first I thought it was Suren,but it turned out to be the new member,an Industrialist from Old city,Mr.Mustaq Hussain who has a collection of vintage cars.He introduced humbly and showed his 1956 Elegant,which is the most original Elegant in FCCH.It was good to see Veteran Fiat owners show up with their beauties and passion and gave us their experiances of their Fiat 1100s.
Then we drove to see the other Elegants of Mr.Hussain and Mr.Rao.Here we were intorduced to a fantastic mechanic who took pride in working with yesteryear Fiats.This was getting more interesting as he started to tell us about the spare parts and how to procure them.
In the end it was a rich day for FCCH to meet new members and some classic Fiats and some good mechanics who can help restore these Fiats for our members.
Tentativly,We decided that the next meet will be in the Old city and will be organised by Mr.Hussain at one of his "Purani Havelis" with a heritage background.
While driving back on the Necklace Road,we were greeted by revellers who came to immerse the ganesha idols and several of them stopped us to take pictures !!
Finally it was a FIATful day and Team Bhpian Spirit, i.e togatherness !!!

Dear Ram Sir

The Pictures are really great. Congratulations for achieving once more milestone of having an elegent in the club. 3 cheers to FCCH.
thanks and regards
Sushil Narayanan

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post. Use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Also, Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Thanks.

Last edited by .anshuman : 19th September 2010 at 14:38. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 19th September 2010, 18:10   #977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushil_n79 View Post
The Pictures are really great. Congratulations for achieving once more milestone of having an elegent in the club. 3 cheers to FCCH.
Indeed Sushill,we could call it an ELEGANT day,instead of FIATful day !!!
We thoroughly enjoyed the new entrants into FCCH and missed many of you too !!!
Old 21st September 2010, 00:13   #978
BHPian

Hi All,

It felt good to see the pictures of the cars at the FCCH meet, especially the Black center light car with the number ADX 7595. This car has a special place in my heart as it had been with us for close to 15 years!!

My father had brought this car way back in 1991 and fully restored it. The color combination of the oil filter (off white with maroon top) was a tribute to another Fiat 1100 that we had with the same color combination.

It gives me satisfaction to see that it is still in the hands of another car lover. Long live the Fiat 1100!!

I could not come to the FCCH meet on 19th September as I was out of Hyderabad. Eagerly looking forward for the next meet!!

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 21st September 2010, 20:08   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
It felt good to see the pictures of the cars at the FCCH meet, especially the Black center light car with the number ADX 7595. This car has a special place in my heart as it had been with us for close to 15 years!!

My father had brought this car way back in 1991 and fully restored it. The color combination of the oil filter (off white with maroon top) was a tribute to another Fiat 1100 that we had with the same color combination.

It gives me satisfaction to see that it is still in the hands of another car lover. Long live the Fiat 1100!!

I could not come to the FCCH meet on 19th September as I was out of Hyderabad. Eagerly looking forward for the next meet!!

Rahul Waghmare.
Dear Rahul,I was pleasently surprised at your interest in this Elegant and wondered why you were enquiring.Now the picture is clear and i can see the emotional attachment.
Look forward to see you soon.
Old 21st September 2010, 23:49   #980
BHPian

Sorry guys for not attending meet on 19th Sep10

Hi,
FCCHians,
In fact after sending mails and SMSs to all members I was missing on the day. But because of my father admitted to hospital by my friends on Saturday afternoon, I have to rush to hometown. I came today and really got refreshed after seeing the meet photos. Sad to hear that Gandipet Drive was cancelled. So we got another 02 classic FIATs. Good. Now waiting for 2nd sunday of Oct'10 for Dussera meet.
Old 22nd September 2010, 22:29   #981
BHPian

Our Premier 118 NE (1989)

Hello Folks!

I am posting the pictures of our Premier 118 NE. The year of manufacture is 1989. We got it in 1996 and are the second owners of the car. This is our fourth car. We previously owned a 1961 Fiat 1100, a 1957 Fiat Millicento and a Maruti 800.

Regards,

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-001.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-002.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-003.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-004.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-005.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-006.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-007.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-008.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-010.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-011.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-012.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-013.jpg  

Fiat Classic Club - Hyderabad (FCCH)-014.jpg  

Attached Images

Scarlet_Rider is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:17   #982
BHPian

Ram - this is a very good initiative. I happened to find this thread just today. Was away from t-bhp for a while as I just moved to the gulf.

Yes, I have had two Fiats in the past, infact I learnt driving in a fiat a little over 6yrs back and though I have driven various cars, nothing comes close to a fiat.

The first was in a OK condition and it had the column shift and then the next was a floor shift. Will try to find their pics and post some here.

You won't believe, just last week I communicated with Shyam since I now want to get a PP again, love the column shift model.

I am allowed to be a part of this club even though I don't have a Fiat at the moment?

Request to all the members here, please do let me know if there is any Fiat in a good condition for sale. Would love to move about in one atleast during my vacations.
Old 22nd September 2010, 23:21   #983
Senior - BHPian

Dear Rahul,
It is a pleasure to see your 118 NE in such a good condition.
Welcome to FCCH and you made us proud with such a beautiful possession.
Looking forward to see this 118 NE at the next meet in October.

Dear Yaser,
Welcome to FCCH.
You are most welcome to join our meets and you can always drive with us in one of our classic Fiats,until you get one.See you at the next month meet and keep checking this thread for the meet schedule.

Last edited by hillram : 22nd September 2010 at 23:24.
Old 23rd September 2010, 00:19   #984
Senior - BHPian

Rahul your car looks like a "hot rod" to me, honestly never expected your car to be a sporty or sports patterned looking at you, I thought it would be scratchless, absolute original with those company stickers on the windsheild and loads of care. Its a pleasant surprise to me.

I also see your car says electronic and there are few buttons, an electronic tachometer so my question to you is did you do any performance modifications? anyways pretty good comfortable car. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 23rd September 2010, 01:48   #985
BHPian

Dear Ram,

Thank you very much for officially welcoming me to FCCH!! My father was very happy to hear the news!! I am eagerly waiting to see you all at the next FCCH meet. My father (who passionately maintains & experiments with the car) and I (who passionately drives it) will be present along with our 118 NE!!

Chanu,

Thanks for your feedback about the 118 NE. I feel honored when you referred to the car as "Hot Rod"! As you rightly observed, the car has few performance modifications.

1. It has an experimental Supercharger (a battery powered fan unit) that kicks in at a preset (adjustable) RPM to increase engine performance by increasing the air flow to the carburetor.

2. It has an additional automatic cooling fan that works when the engine is switched off. It keeps running till the engine temperature comes down to a certain point.

3. The car has the word "Electronic" on it meaning that it is fitted with an Add-On Electronic Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) System. This CDI system was designed and manufactured by my father especially for cars that have contact breaker points system. This is an Add-On unit which does not require the original contact breaker points system to be modified. When fitted it gives a lot of performance and maintenance benefits which I will discuss when we meet.

Plus, there are other modifications and fittings that you can see when we meet.

Regards,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 23rd September 2010, 08:29   #986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
3. The car has the word "Electronic" on it meaning that it is fitted with an Add-On Electronic Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) System. This CDI system was designed and manufactured by my father especially for cars that have contact breaker points system. This is an Add-On unit which does not require the original contact breaker points system to be modified. When fitted it gives a lot of performance and maintenance benefits which I will discuss when we meet.
Rahul Waghmare.
Rahul,

I would like to know more about this CDI Unit, as I intend to install the same on my 1959 Fiat. I knew of Kiran Bhide from mumbai making such kits. I would like to get one from you, to put on my car.
Old 23rd September 2010, 09:49   #987
Senior - BHPian

Rahul very innovative car you got there. Its very nice to see an old car getting so much attention regarding the mods part. I am really amazed to see those rear AC ducts and a neat implementation of fog lamps too. Is your car fitted with a security system?
I think your car has the same original color shade (royal maroon). If yes can you post some pics as a reference of paint sample to me. I am looking for the original or close to original Royal Maroon shade for my S1.
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:21   #988
BHPian

Hi Manishalive,

Let us discuss the details of the CDI unit by using different means rather than this thread as it might not be appropriate as per Team-BHP rules.

Hi Samsag12,

Thanks for your feedback on the 118 NE! There is no rear AC duct in the car. It is in fact a blower to circulate air so that people seated at the back can also feel the effect of the AC without much delay.

My father got the idea of fitting the lamps in the bumper, giving the car a sportier look.

The car is not fitted with a security system.

As far as the color is concerned, it has the original maroon shade called Imperial Maroon. This shade is a bit difficult to get or mix. However with today’s computerized color mixing technology, it should not be a problem. But I would suggest that you try out the color on some corner of the car first, the reason being that this color may change / fade to a chocolaty shade when exposed in sunlight. This was the same problem we faced when we had to touch up the car. However if you use a metallic version of the shade, then it should not be a problem.

I will try to post pictures that have the maroon color taken in bright sunlight for your reference.

Regards,

Rahul Waghmare.

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd September 2010 at 22:23. Reason: Removing formatting tags
Old 24th September 2010, 00:40   #989
Senior - BHPian

Wow! that's a whole lot of modifications you have given to your car and it astonishes when you said its home made, I salute your dad for the love and passion he has for the cars. I am eager to see him, the car and understand the performance modificatons given to the car.
Old 24th September 2010, 01:45   #990
BHPian

Thanks Chanu,

I will try to introduce my father to you guys this Sunday at the HCSC meet and then you can see the car at the next FCCH meet.

Regards,

Rahul Waghmare.

Most Viewed