Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2010, 14:13   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Thanks for your comments, Rajeev.

Yes, the car is Mark II but the grill and front park lamps were of Mark 4 model. I have arranged for Mark II grill,head lights rings and logos and am waiting for the same to come to me.

For the mark II instrument cluster, I do not have much reference materail available except for one or two pictures. To complete the car,I am planning to have a simple cluster panel made out of metal which will hopefully suit the looks and not look out of place. In future, as and when I come across some good detailed photos of the original panel or get one, will add the same.

Regards,
Sanat
Where in mumbai the car is being restored I would like to meet you and see it for myself and we may go to CST road, or Chore Bazar for some of criticle components many of cosmetics are there i chore bazar near masjid lane.
Old 9th May 2010, 17:35   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Where in mumbai the car is being restored I would like to meet you and see it for myself and we may go to CST road, or Chore Bazar for some of criticle components many of cosmetics are there i chore bazar near masjid lane.
Hi IQBAL VEERJI,

The car is being done in a garage at Charkop, Off Link Road, Kandivili - West.

You are most welcome to see the car, just give me a call and we can meet up.

Will send you a PM for my contact details.

Regards,
Sanat
Old 9th May 2010, 19:03   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi IQBAL VEERJI,

The car is being done in a garage at Charkop, Off Link Road, Kandivili - West.

You are most welcome to see the car, just give me a call and we can meet up.

Will send you a PM for my contact details.

Regards,
Sanat
Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Quote:
Hi Rajeev,

Thanks for your detailed notes. The below photo which I have taken from this site would be from 1971 Mark II Amby dashboard. The mica laminate would not be present in the 1970 model, right ?

Regards
jeepster09 seems the restoration journey is going on at an excellent pace.The car is shaping up well. I am sure now you will be able to locate the desired spares in Mumbai.Chor Bazar and Opera House are the best places for getting spares.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th May 2010 at 19:09.
Old 10th May 2010, 20:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

One more minor tip. Upto 1970 model the mark II emblems were on the front right and left fender, whereas in 1971 this was shifted to rear hatch RHS by the side of the Number Plate.
Old 15th May 2010, 18:36   #65
BHPian

Body repairs - Boot area

Pictures for further work updates. Got new bonnet and boot cover hinges. The old ones had cracked and needed replacements.

The new hinges on the boot covers have been wrapped in polythene and cellotaped to prevent the crome from getting spoilt. The old ones on the bonnet will serve till the bonnet is repaired and then will be replaced with the new ones.

The engine is going to be opened tommorow to check for any issues and reconditioning.

Regarding getting the engine work done any special things to take care / advice required .

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-63.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-64.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-65.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-66.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-67.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-68.jpg
Old 15th May 2010, 20:36   #66
Senior - BHPian

You said NEW BONNET where is it? I couldn't see any pic jeepster. However I could see a different colour dicky cover.

Good Job! safegaurding the hinges with help of taping will help you in avoiding scratchess developing, but make sure water does not seep in while painting work is taken up. I would advice if you find old ones fix them on to it up till the painting work is done. Make sure you don't search for the parts for a long time once the engine is opened. I have lost vital parts once in the same process.
Old 16th May 2010, 09:34   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
You said NEW BONNET where is it?

Make sure you don't search for the parts for a long time once the engine is opened. I have lost vital parts once in the same process.
Chanu,

I had meant new hinges for bonnet and the boot cover. The old bonnet is good enough to be used and hence will be retaining it.

Thanks for the tip. Will take the engine parts in my custody.

Regards,
Old 16th May 2010, 16:42   #68
BHPian

New parts bought

Dear friends,

Went to Chorbazar searching for the numberplate light fitting today. Initially the shop owner showed me the light housing piece but I wanted the complete fitting including the base piece. He said that was not available with him. So I asked about the other stuff and could get the below parts today.

1. MarK II Original dashboard - Mark II one with mica laminate . The
meters are autometer ones, the amp meter is missing.
2. Chrome pattis for front and rear fenders including the small ones below
the tailight.
3. Plastic horn cover
4. One chrome wiper arm
5. Two push-pull switches
6. Ambassador logo for boot cover and 3 Mark II logos.
7. Old type sunshade.(photo not posted)

While we made a list of the above parts, the shopowner went out and returned with the required complete numberplate light fixture too .

Many many thanks to Superselect for guiding me in getting these parts from the chorbazar. Thanks a lot, Ravi.

Anjan,
Again need your expert advice.

- The meters should be autometer or enkay ones for this car ?
- The chrome pattis are much slimmer and made of brass than the older
ones. Which ones were used originally ?
- The sunshades were HM supplied or aftermarket ones ?

Regards,
Sanat

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-69.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-70.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-71.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-72.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-74.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-75.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-76.jpg

Name:  amby restore 77.jpg
Views: 6679
Size:  52.0 KB

Last edited by jeepster09 : 16th May 2010 at 16:49. Reason: forgot to post the photos.
Old 16th May 2010, 16:49   #69
BHPian

Dear Jeepster- Glad to know you got so many Amby parts. Ravi is a pro when it comes to searching parts from Chor Bazar. Next time you are let me know, would be more than happy to join you. Stay just 15-20 mins away so shouldnt be an issue.
Old 16th May 2010, 16:52   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Dear Jeepster- Glad to know you got so many Amby parts. Ravi is a pro when it comes to searching parts from Chor Bazar. Next time you are let me know, would be more than happy to join you. Stay just 15-20 mins away so shouldnt be an issue.
Hey Kavesh,

Thanks a lot, that would be great. I do require to make a second trip soon.

Regards
Old 16th May 2010, 21:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

Most welcome Sanat ! Tbhp is all about this kind of camraderie, which I received in full, when I was restoring my Fiat !!!
Looking forward to seeing your baby complete.
Old 17th May 2010, 22:31   #72
BHPian

Tail light lens

Got the orange plastic lens for rear tail lights and also a pair of white plastic lens for the front indicator lamps. Also got a pair of orange plastic lens but which are of no use as these are needed in red color.

Have tried coloring the white yamaha-bullet indicator lens with red color, seems perfect though not sure how it will weather in strong sunlight.

Also removed the meters from the dashboard panel and cleaned it a bit.

Posting the photos.

Regards,

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-78.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-79.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-80.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-81.jpg

Ambassador Mark II 1970 - Restoration-amby-restore-82.jpg
Old 17th May 2010, 22:50   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dear friends,

Went to Chorbazar searching for the numberplate light fitting today. Initially the shop owner showed me the light housing piece but I wanted the complete fitting including the base piece. He said that was not available with him. So I asked about the other stuff and could get the below parts today.

1. MarK II Original dashboard - Mark II one with mica laminate . The
meters are autometer ones, the amp meter is missing.
2. Chrome pattis for front and rear fenders including the small ones below
the tailight.
3. Plastic horn cover
4. One chrome wiper arm
5. Two push-pull switches
6. Ambassador logo for boot cover and 3 Mark II logos.
7. Old type sunshade.(photo not posted)

While we made a list of the above parts, the shopowner went out and returned with the required complete numberplate light fixture too .

Many many thanks to Superselect for guiding me in getting these parts from the chorbazar. Thanks a lot, Ravi.

Anjan,
Again need your expert advice.

- The meters should be autometer or enkay ones for this car ?
- The chrome pattis are much slimmer and made of brass than the older
ones. Which ones were used originally ?
- The sunshades were HM supplied or aftermarket ones ?

Regards,
Sanat
Hearty congratulations Sanat for getting a whole galaxy of spares. Mumbai is a treasure house for such spares.Never imagined you'll get the exact dashboard which was more or less a fossil years ago.
Sunshades were purely after market ones. HM never bothered about accessories then, as they were content with selling those cars and also reviewing the waiting lists.
The original pattis were of brass that was chrome plated, for the Mark I which was imported from the UK. After I guess 1965 it was all Indian made aluminium. If you've got these made of brass do fit them. They will look classy.
About meters I guess it was Autometer by the time the 1970's began-not sure. Yenkay followed Smiths that was followed by Autometer and then Pricol.Exactly when Autometer came I am not very sure.But these speedos had the green, yellow and red markings on the KMPH (the one you bought has and is original) since 1970, so should be Autometer.
The number plate light needs to be chrome plated or else if much rusted, you can go for another one.
The black switches (Wiper, Light etc) with the letters painted on the aluminium cover are very original and its with this dash that these switches came first. Earlier switches were of full black colour with engraved letters W, L ,C (for choke) and so on.
The horn button is not of the 1970 vintage. Try for one with the letter H in gold, encircled by golden coloured beads- the older horn covers were quite flashy as compared to these dull ones.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 17th May 2010 at 23:01.
Old 17th May 2010, 22:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

I will answer to your querries Mr Sanat,
Regarding meters, both Autometer and Yenkay make were OE. The meters for 1970 model year to Mark3 were similar ones. The laminat , Aluminium strip pane started from 1971 only. yenkay was manufactured with VDO tie up. Later pricol made with technology from Yenkay. In 1966 to 67 the Smith look alike meters were supplied by Autometer and during these period Yenkay supplied different type which is similar ones to shown in the photos posted by you but only white coloured needles and markings.
Since your car is 1970 model fix the mark II emblems on the front fenders for originality.That is two numbers are only required, the third can be kept for keeps.
These were used to be mounted by clips from inside in OE, but with thread and nuts were also available as spares then.
Sunshades were always after market fitments. In those times three types were available at dealerships. Two were of sheet metal with one of curved shape. Third was coloured glass lookalike.
The Ambassador logo is for front and rear; bonnet and rear hatch lid.
The numberplate lamp is original and if not fit for the model.
The horn cap is not OE.
The slim chrome pattis may be from further earlier models probably 1962 nearabout.
Rear Indicator plastic caps were then Amber coloured for indicators and red coloured for tail/brake lights.

Last edited by rajeev k : 17th May 2010 at 23:01. Reason: addition
Old 17th May 2010, 23:14   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

The H logo was set in a circular silver background with those gold and red beads encircling.
Name:  Amb1970dash.BMP
Views: 7253
Size:  649.7 KB
This is Amit V8's picture

Most Viewed