Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 12:46   #121
BANNED

re: 1967 VW Fastback - Restored

Hello Pavan. Good to see the progress. From where will you get the toughened glass?

P.S: Hope your Palm recovers asap. Get the palm restored by a good Doc.
Old 12th December 2010, 01:12   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Its not that, somewhere i did one error of writing some figure on a piece of paper during the confusion transition of the car owners midway of this project.

I dont understand, all my efforts in getting this beauty on road is gone un-noticed, Looks like i need to charge people my charges. No one understands the kind of time i put in , running around, office holidays for getting work on the car, numerous phone calls and its charges to inform the mechanic about his work, call the car owner and keep him informed about the progress.

From now on, i need to start charging for restorations. Passion and hard work is not appreciated.
Truly truly sad the way things r turning out! Ask the owner to go through this thread to just see the amount of effort and time put into this restoration!
From now on, it would be better if you stopped a resto if a car changed owners hands midway between restorations, since:
1. you were doing the resto as a favour / help for the owner or
2. else get all charges upto change of ownership cleared by the old owner and clear your system and way of working with the new owner,
3. or work from the new owners point of view and budget. What He Sees Is What He Gets!

Else your passion and hard work will not be appreciated.

All the best anyways! God bless and hope your hand gets better!
Old 12th December 2010, 18:13   #123
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your palm injury. Hope you recover soon. Pavan ji at last the owner is showing the usual practice followed by some, troubling the restorer when the project nears completion. Remember the post no. 101 and 102 of this thread. Hope you get all the outstanding payment cleared before handing the car over to him.
Whatever happens the VW would still be smiling & thanking you.
Old 12th December 2010, 18:31   #124
BANNED

Hi Guys,

The compatibilty and communication between the restorer and car owner has to be of a similar wavelenght, if that suffers, things go haywire.
Things are sorted out right now, so restoration is going on in the right direction.

99% of the mechanicals are DONE, pending only for.

1) Alternator clamp
2) Engine compartment lid

Cosmetics needs a lot of attention.

1) rear plexiglass windshield
2) LHS rear side glass
3) Front windshield glass beading
4) Seats and carpets
5) Rubbing and polishing and few paint touchups
6) front indicator
7) Buffing the bumpers
8) Few more fittings

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon we are planning to go for a test drive, and Tuesday will be used ot iron out the issues found (if any)
Old 12th December 2010, 23:04   #125
BHPian

Quote:

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon we are planning to go for a test drive, and Tuesday will be used ot iron out the issues found (if any)
Pavan please take a video of that engine sound with the daytona exhausts when you go for the test drive!
Old 13th December 2010, 23:35   #126
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Pavan please take a video of that engine sound with the daytona exhausts when you go for the test drive!

For sure., and thank you guys, today i am able to use both hands while driving.

About the work on the car, things are in full swing.

The roofliner came, finished his job, the roofing is done, Doorpads are marked and cut, its only couple of days more for the seats to come.

The rear, and front glass beadings have come, the rear plexi glass is arriving tomorrow. Seats and doorpads will arrive tomorrow. Alternator clamp will be bolted on tomorrow. Lots of work slotted for tomorrow, its going to be an exciting day. Hope everything falls in place.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2004.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2003.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2005.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2002.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2016.jpg  

Old 14th December 2010, 14:58   #127
BANNED

Side glasses are fitted today.

The painters started their work of rubbing and polishing.

The only thing pending is the Upholtery guys. Waiting for them to do the seats and finish the job.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2018.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2019.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2020.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2021.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2022.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2034.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2033.jpg  

Old 14th December 2010, 16:15   #128
Senior - BHPian

Pavan ji i have a doubt in mind regarding the type of paint used on this car as rubbing and polishing is done on single stage paint and IIRC you must have used 2K quality paint. Please elaborate on this.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:49   #129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Pavan ji i have a doubt in mind regarding the type of paint used on this car as rubbing and polishing is done on single stage paint and IIRC you must have used 2K quality paint. Please elaborate on this.
Hi Sagar,

I have used Dupont paint. And since this is a metallic shade, we also have 3 coats of clear. So under 3 coats of clear, the paint is safe and glowing.

Some pics while the painters were working on it.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2035.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2037.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2036.jpg  

Old 14th December 2010, 17:56   #130
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the clarification Pavan ji. I am sure that the 3 clear coats will definitely protect the metallic shade for years to come (if painted areas are handled correctly).
But whats the process shown in your last post (post no. 127). Whats the white residue on the car. Are they sanding or just giving a good wash to the VW.
Eagerly waiting for the final product.
Old 17th December 2010, 19:31   #131
BANNED

Some glimpse of the Seat design.

This is still posing a great threat to our work completion.

There are only 2 front seats without the bottom and the rear seats are of a Squareback, which is entirely a different design in the Fastbacks

I have been promised that the complete upholstery will be done before Wednesday. While this is being done, the car is almost done, with only 3 pending things

1) Accelerator pedal
2) Alternator clamp
3) Fuel tank fitting

Monday these will be ready.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2055.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2010, 23:09   #132
BANNED

Today the Fuel tank was cleaned with Petrol, Inspite of cleaning it earlier, there were lots of rusts inside.

Presently there is 1 litre of petrol and 500 ml Engine oil in the tank, Will be drained out tomorrow and the tank will be ready for further use

The car is ready in all aspects, the work on seats have taken a backseat due to the absence of the rear seat with armrests. Wednesday the car will be fully ready. My last Weekends deadline is beaten. due to my travel for 3 days and due to Holy Mohurram.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2082.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2083.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2084.jpg  

Old 20th December 2010, 20:32   #133
BANNED

GHOSTS

Yes... Talk about Ghosts.

I found a lot of them when putting this Jigsaw puzzle together in the last few days.

Just when you think, every thing is fallen in place, you find something else missing.

1) We fitted the Fuel tank 2 days ago, one hose is found with a loose end, what comes there.......???? Went through the manual and found it is a fuel tank vacuum hose. Since we did not have one in the car, it was a usual practice to find one in the junk yard, and this part matches with the usual variants. so i had spoken to one guy in the junkyard last time when he provided me with the Intake manifold. Went back to him, and he had this hose, Got it and it fitted to the tee. Sourced another rubber hose locally to get it fitted finally.

2) We turned the steering wheel, suddenly found that we dont have a proper steering feedback Opened up the tank and found the steering coupler is worn out. Again go search all around for the perfect match. Found something close to it sold as OE part for Maruti Gypsy... That was a relief, Changed them and the trouble is solved.

3) We got a good old Original Pierburg fuel pump for the car, on installing it, that damn thing is not pumping fuel............. What the hell.....in order to find the fault, my mechanic opens it, but ends up spoiling the top cap, luckily had one spare lying at home, gave it and fitted, BUT.................... Its still not functioning. We remove it and to our horror, there is no Pushrod... Rats.......... Getting a pushrod is not easy now, since the delivery is nearing. Best thing was we got a electric fuel pump fitted near the tank. Need to start it tomorrow with this set-up.

4) Getting all the rubber beadings was a pain in the wrong side............. Went all around Bangalore's spare shop and finally got something that suits the edges of the reflectors and tail light lens.

5) Front seats have come, but the rear back-rest is still an issue.

6) Dashboard is ready, but somehow i am not satisfied, But there is nothing much more i could have done on it. Its a usual practice to replace it with a new one, but i have repaired the same, lets see how the car owner likes it.

7) Front indicator assembly is not available, and i am not able to find a suiting one. 2 sets are brought, but not fitting.

8) Rear windshield is not available, so i had ordered for plexiglass 2 mm, that guy comes over and fits it, and that darn thing is wobbly. Now its time to search for something thicker than that, maybe 5mm one's.

For all these GHOSTS that exists, i dont want to get haunted till the delivery date.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2102.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2104.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2109.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2108.jpg  

Old 20th December 2010, 20:54   #134
BANNED

Quote:
GHOSTS

Yes... Talk about Ghosts.
Some more pics missed in my last post.
Attached Thumbnails
1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2095.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2096.jpg  

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-imag_2097.jpg  

Old 21st December 2010, 07:13   #135
Senior - BHPian

Pavan, i remember seeing this car in its dilapidated condition when you took me to the workshop where this car was stored. nice to see it get back its glory.

Most Viewed