Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 17:31   #181
BANNED

Re: 1967 VW Fastback - Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Good to see the car finally done! Great job Pavan! The interior especially looks yummy!

Where did you procure the original rear glass from btw? Imported it?

Also who's the dude in the red tee standing next to the car?
Thanks Shyam.

The rear glass and the front windshield were imported for $340.00. We only used the rear glass, the front is stored and kept for future use.

That Dude with the Red Shirt is the OWNER of the car.

Celebrity and a famous Salsa Dancer Lourd Vijay. Just Google his name, you'll get to know about him

Presently he's happily driving his Fastback.
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:08   #182
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Thanks Shyam.

The rear glass and the front windshield were imported for $340.00. We only used the rear glass, the front is stored and kept for future use.

That Dude with the Red Shirt is the OWNER of the car.

Celebrity and a famous Salsa Dancer Lourd Vijay. Just Google his name, you'll get to know about him

Presently he's happily driving his Fastback.
So PK starts restoring cars for celibrities also now

Looks like a True Quality Restoration. Is'nt it exactly 1 YEAR since you started this restoration......? Good work though.

I think its still missing few parts, like the Front Indicators, Hubcaps. That beige dash looks sad though, why not make it black, it would look original and classy too.

At the end of it, yet another VW done and i think this should complete your 1 dozen VW restoration till date?

BTW, did the car owner finally settle the full bill?

I've usually heard about the kind of unseen losses during such restorations from you.
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:27   #183
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Pavan ji on the completion of the VW's restoration. Hope it doesn't gives much trouble to the owner and you.

Any info of the other one.

Last edited by samsag12 : 2nd March 2011 at 13:28.
Old 2nd March 2011, 18:16   #184
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
So PK starts restoring cars for celibrities also now

Looks like a True Quality Restoration. Is'nt it exactly 1 YEAR since you started this restoration......? Good work though.

I think its still missing few parts, like the Front Indicators, Hubcaps. That beige dash looks sad though, why not make it black, it would look original and classy too.

At the end of it, yet another VW done and i think this should complete your 1 dozen VW restoration till date?

BTW, did the car owner finally settle the full bill?

I've usually heard about the kind of unseen losses during such restorations from you.
Thanks Karthik.

The pending stuff could have gone on the car, if the car owner would have got them for me.

Well,Bills are settled. I managed to squeeze out a small discount of 3K rupees from the workshop guys. No loss to either of the parties involved.

About unseen losses for me, those are expenses that go unseen like your to-fro visits to the car owner,workshops, gettting spares, telephone calls to the various guys involving restoration including the car owner. few small misc., items. All these go as un-noticed expenses which in turn amounts to quite a big chunk of money.

Even though i am doing a favour by restoring their cars. I dont ask and the car owner never bothers.

End of the day a VW got saved and is seeing the daylight, living its lost glory all over again. That sums up my restoration story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
Congrats Pavan ji on the completion of the VW's restoration. Hope it doesn't gives much trouble to the owner and you.

Any info of the other one.

If you drive the car as per the way an old classic VW has to be driven, the car will not trouble u, thats a simple logic.

Yesterday the car was driven extensively in hot weather conditions for over 50 kms, the car stopped once, due to heating attributed to hard revving, once it cooled down, the car drove very nice.

VW's are reliable when its restoration is balanced well.

Lastly , I must thank my team for all its effort in completing the restoration inspite of all the odds.
Old 17th March 2011, 13:59   #185
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, the Carb gave a hell lot of issues, got a new one, and fitted, now carburetion is perfect
Did this car originally come with dual carbs? What carb have put on this car? From the picture of the engine looks like there is only one carb.

In the net I found that these cars have dual carbs?

Cheers

KPS
Old 17th March 2011, 21:04   #186
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Did this car originally come with dual carbs? What carb have put on this car? From the picture of the engine looks like there is only one carb.

In the net I found that these cars have dual carbs?

Cheers

KPS
Sir,

This is a 1600cc, Single port Single carb engine.

Actually the only Variant that comes with Dual Port Dual carb units are 1600TL FASTBACK, Right now there is ONLY ONE SUCH CAR IN THE COUNTRY, I will showcase that car restoration sometime during the last quarter of this year.

During late 1967 VW also introduced Dual port engines for the Fastbacks, but due to FE and emission norms, it came out only with Single carb.
Old 18th March 2011, 12:31   #187
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir,

During late 1967 VW also introduced Dual port engines for the Fastbacks, but due to FE and emission norms, it came out only with Single carb.
Pavan just check again. I was reading that in later part of 1967 fuel injection was introduced. As per the article below dual carbs options were introduced much earlier in the 1500 CC engine to increase power.

Volkswagen Type 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand that the said car is having severe heating issues and is not running well. As it is in our hot climate air cooled cars easily overheat, hence you need to be spot on all areas for trouble free running.

The car has now come to a well know restorer for solving the heating issues. I am awaiting the full details on the problems identified.

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 18th March 2011 at 12:33.
Old 18th March 2011, 15:35   #188
BANNED

Quote:
Pavan just check again. I was reading that in later part of 1967 fuel injection was introduced. As per the article below dual carbs options were introduced much earlier in the 1500 CC engine to increase power.

I understand that the said car is having severe heating issues and is not running well. As it is in our hot climate air cooled cars easily overheat, hence you need to be spot on all areas for trouble free running.

The car has now come to a well know restorer for solving the heating issues. I am awaiting the full details on the problems identified.

Cheers

KPS
Oh... i've seen it.

Sir, the engine is new, just overhauled, it tends to overheat till the proper running in is done. Also attribute to the HOT Bangalore conditions right now. I had already mentioned this in my previous posts. The Overheating issues will be seen during the running-in and its not a problem per-se. But since the car owner does not understand this, its upto him to go and spend some more money for nothing.

This VW would be my 11th or 12th restoration, all the cars that i've restored so far are running fine with regular maintenance, even this is similar, but The car owner is a careless guy, who does not know anything about classic cars.

Inspite of my FREE RESTORATION he does not even have a courtesy to say a simple "THANK YOU"

And the restorer to whom the car has gone to will only squeeze some more money off him as there is nothing seriously wrong with the car.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 18th March 2011 at 15:46.
Old 18th March 2011, 15:49   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Oh... i've seen it.

This VW would be my 11th or 12th restoration, all the cars that i've restored so far are running fine with regular maintenance, even this is similar, but The car owner is a careless guy, who does not know anything about classic cars.

Inspite of my FREE RESTORATION he does not even have a courtesy to say a simple "THANK YOU"

And the restorer to whom the car has gone to will only squeeze some more money off him as there is nothing seriously wrong with the car.
Saar, such elements are .
Serves him right. Let him spend his money for nothing and then he'll come running back to you.
And in this process a classic VW is at the receiving end
Old 18th March 2011, 16:15   #190
Senior - BHPian

The good thing about the VW's (Aircooled) is that the whole trouble shooting for cooling system goes out of the list . And thus we have very few probable parameters to look into.
Old 18th March 2011, 16:17   #191
BANNED

Quote:

Cheers

KPS
Not a lot of truth in what u say about the overheating issues kps sir, i have had the previlage of driving this fastback few days ago, the car is super fast and buttery smooth. I enjoyed every bit of the TD along with PK. I know many guys with VW's in the city and most of the cars are restored and tuned by PK, he's known to do a selfless and Free service in keeping VW's running the way it should. Many guys are on T-BHP also. I was educated by PK about VW engines, Since this engine was refurbished newly, i knew they tend to get hot . Every old car will have issues till their initial running in is done, We all know that.

I only advice PK to stop doing Charity to unknown people henceforth, just bid this guy and his car a big "GOOD BYE" and get on with ur many more VW's waiting for restoration. Many a times i've been with PK during the conversation with the car owner, i presume the car owner does not understand the concept of Classic VW engines at all, probably it serves him right to go and spend some more money with another restorer. Serves him right.
Old 18th March 2011, 17:01   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Since this engine was refurbished newly, i knew they tend to get hot . Every old car will have issues till their initial running in is done, We all know that.
Thanks for educating us mate, i thought it was other wise afterall engine is an engine new generation or old generation. Or you mean to say back in day when these vehicles were the norm of the day they had similar issues when rebuilded .
Old 18th March 2011, 17:13   #193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Not a lot of truth in what u say about the overheating issues kps sir, i have had the previlage of driving this fastback few days ago, the car is super fast and buttery smooth. I enjoyed every bit of the TD along with PK. I know many guys with VW's in the city and most of the cars are restored and tuned by PK, he's known to do a selfless and Free service in keeping VW's running the way it should. Many guys are on T-BHP also. I was educated by PK about VW engines, Since this engine was refurbished newly, i knew they tend to get hot . Every old car will have issues till their initial running in is done, We all know that.

I only advice PK to stop doing Charity to unknown people henceforth, just bid this guy and his car a big "GOOD BYE" and get on with ur many more VW's waiting for restoration. Many a times i've been with PK during the conversation with the car owner, i presume the car owner does not understand the concept of Classic VW engines at all, probably it serves him right to go and spend some more money with another restorer. Serves him right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Thanks for educating us mate, i thought it was other wise afterall engine is an engine new generation or old generation. Or you mean to say back in day when these vehicles were the norm of the day they had similar issues when rebuilded .
Manish, This VW runs on an Aircooled engine, And with Bangalore running temperatures like 32 and 33 Degrees, where is the kind of air u need and how does the engine run in well cooled.

Thank you all for the support throughout this thread.

It had been a great learning curve restoring the Fastback.

No doubt, things went wrong, but all in all, the car was restored to its best possible condition after all these grueling months.

I am signing out of this thread and request moderators to Close this Thread.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 18th March 2011 at 17:58.
Old 18th March 2011, 18:04   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir,

Actually the only Variant that comes with Dual Port Dual carb units are 1600TL FASTBACK, Right now there is ONLY ONE SUCH CAR IN THE COUNTRY, I will showcase that car restoration sometime during the last quarter of this year.
If my info is correct,the above information is wrong.
Initially Volkswagen 1500 used a single side-draft carburetor. In August 1963 VW introduced single and dual-carbureted versions respectively ,the Volkswagen 1500N, rated at 45PS and the 1500R, 54 PS with high-compression pistons and dual carburetors for more power. R or N prefix was there on the crankcase to indicate R (high compression) or N (low compression) engine

Also there is a 1600TL fastback in Chennai as well as in Gujarath.
Old 18th March 2011, 18:30   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manish, This VW runs on an Aircooled engine, And with Bangalore running temperatures like 32 and 33 Degrees, where is the kind of air u need and how does the engine run in well cooled.
Oh that is an information to me, all the VW's up in north will have seized engines if they run in summer, just kidding .
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed