Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 22:33   #226
BANNED

Re: 1967 VW Fastback - Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
The type 3 came off the factory line with a dash pad made of compressed foam.

A repro original style dash pad made of compressed foam retails for around 150 USD.

Cheaper economy quality plastic dash pads are available at around 75 USD. These are manufactured and sold by WestCoastMetric.

If you have found a source of the compressed foam dash pads at 65 USD I would be very interested.
I mentioned this in context with the kind of accusations made by LVDS.....

Please dont take it otherwise....

Wescoast metric sells very good parts, i am really fortunate to have got many NOS parts for my VW's from them all this while.

Other such site is J-Bugs, from where off-late i have been getting spares (Thanks to my dear friend who's taking time off to shop for me)

And few other's of-course, you have helped me immensly.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:45   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
Sirs ,

A friend who is restoring a 67 VW Fastback in Lucknow , will be visiting Chennai in the coming week , he would like to interact with VW Fastback owners in Chennai - can any Team BHPian help???

Regards
Chauhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

OTOH Where do you get Fastbacks these days.....

1) 1967 Fastback Single port,Single carb 1600cc - LVDS - Restored by me.
2) 1966 Fastback Dual port, Single carb 1600cc - With me right now.
3) 1967 Fastback Dual port , Twin Carb 1600ccTL - With me right now.

Please name others, if anyone has info on any Fastback viewed....
There is one in Lucknow, refer to two posts before your post, Mr. Chauhan's friend is restoring one. No doubt, you would be having the maximum number of VW Fastback's. My question is how desirable are these cars ? MAny would prefer to own a Beetle or a Karmann Ghia than a Fast back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Sir, would you mind sharing the pictures that you received?
Why ? Do you not believe what i say ? Or do you want to make more humour out of things ?
IndrojitSircar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 10:59   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar
Why ? Do you not believe what i say ? Or do you want to make more humour out of things ?
Sir, I'm really sorry if my post offended you. I trust you and I've got no reason to make humour out of the things here.

The only reason why I asked you to share the images is that I've not seen images of the car after it was handled over to the owner.

Once again, apologies.
Old 13th May 2011, 12:30   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Sir, I'm really sorry if my post offended you. I trust you and I've got no reason to make humour out of the things here.

The only reason why I asked you to share the images is that I've not seen images of the car after it was handled over to the owner.

Once again, apologies.
No need to apologize please.
The owner is a member of the forum, maybe you could ask him to share pics of the car at his discretion.
IndrojitSircar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2011, 16:55   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Selling this car will be a tough task considering the amount of money spent on this car is 6.14 lakhs. How many will be willing to pay such a price when you can get better cars for the same price.

All the best to the owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

What a co-incidence Indro.....

Many of my friends too called me inquiring the same.
I was just informed by someone who is kn ow to the owner of car, He says that this car is not for Sale. It just might be pictures that have been taken off the internet by someone and then the car being floated for sale.
There is a piece of good news for Fastback lovers, This person also mentioned to me that there are two Fastbacks for sale, one for Rs.1.7lacs and for Rs.2.7lacs. Seems like either the other two car Mr. Kadam has is for sale or there are two more new cars that have appeared after less than 24 hours after Mr. Kadam's post.
Old 13th May 2011, 19:13   #231
Senior - BHPian

To the best of my info WCM(west coast metric) and J-bugs retails only new VWparts not NOS parts ,but some sites like air-cooled museum sell genuine VW NOS parts
Old 14th May 2011, 01:14   #232

I want to thank all of you for the emails you sent me, I really wish you could actually find courage sometime to share your or your friend's experience with Kadam on this Forum, never be afraid of stating the truth, you are just doing everyone a favor by warning people like us.
Old 14th May 2011, 11:07   #233
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Two of the most recent posts have been deleted. You guys need to keep things STRICTLY civil. Discuss the issue, but do NOT get personal. Personal attacks will NOT be tolerated on this forum.
Old 1st September 2011, 00:14   #234
BHPian

Recent pictures of LVDS' vehicle

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-picture-002.jpg

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-picture-003.jpg

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-picture-004.jpg

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-x-no-picture-005.jpg

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-picture-006.jpg

1967 VW Fastback - Restored-dash2.jpg
Old 1st September 2011, 09:37   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy
Recent pictures of LVDS' vehicle
Wow looks quite spectacular! was the dash changed? Did you have to import one?

Last edited by manson : 1st September 2011 at 14:19.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:58   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wow looks quite spectacular! was the dash changed? Did you have to import one?
Thanks! I shall be sure to pass on your compliments to the restorer.

Yes, the dash pad was changed.
A new repro compressed foam (similar to the OE part) dash pad was imported and installed.
A cheaper hollow plastic dash cap was available, and considered, but since it would not offer the same look and finish, it was not opted for.

Sourcing parts for this early Type 3 proved to be a bit of a challenge since very few repro parts for pre-1967 vehicles are manufactured.
Good condition used OE parts were sourced wherever new parts were not available : parts like the type 3 gear lever boot, the type 3 / porsche style interior light, the type 3 style horn bar on the stering wheel, the front indicator lamps, the type 3 oil dipstick etc.

Though quite a bit of progress has been made, a few missing bits still remain on the interiors front :

1. pre 1967 Dashboard ashtray
2. 1967 only Interior Rear View Mirror

These will be sourced as and when reasonably priced options come to market.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:39   #237
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Though quite a bit of progress has been made, a few missing bits still remain on the interiors front :
These will be sourced as and when reasonably priced options come to market.
The front windshield rubber in one piece also does make a difference.

Glad to note that the car is running well and the engine heating issues have been resolved. thebulletboy's involvement has made a huge difference.

Car is looking good. Even in this condition the valuation of the car will not cross the money spent on it

All the best

KPS

Last edited by manson : 1st September 2011 at 14:23.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:59   #238
BANNED

Quote:
The front windshield rubber in one piece also does make a difference.

Glad to note that the car is running well and the engine heating issues have been resolved. thebulletboy's involvement has made a huge difference.

Car is looking good. Even in this condition the valuation of the car will not cross the money spent on it

All the best

KPS
Why, and who are we to do the valuation sir, There's half truth in everyone's version of Truth.

Glad to see the car owner getting on with his life after the fiasco. Good to know he got the documents for the car. And all that cosmetic additions.

Was out of country and could not catch up all the excitement actively though.

I very well remember my drive with PAVAN KADAM on this very Fastback, What a feel it gave for that short 15 kms Test Drive he was doing.

Good job BulletBoy, i heard a lot about you from PK.

Good job PK, your passion cannot be measured, will meet you soon to see all those 8 VW's that you are restoring right now.

Last edited by EARTHed : 1st September 2011 at 13:01.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:03   #239
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARTHed View Post
Why, and who are we to do the valuation sir,
It is important. As any vintage/classic owner you must understand the valuation of the car and how much money one should spend on it. Guess one can argue about passion etc. but in the long run it is always important to keep in mind the valuations otherwise it can lead to lot of misunderstanding.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 14:14   #240
BANNED

Quote:
It is important. As any vintage/classic owner you must understand the valuation of the car and how much money one should spend on it. Guess one can argue about passion etc. but in the long run it is always important to keep in mind the valuations otherwise it can lead to lot of misunderstanding.

Cheers

KPS
Sir cant we discuss this on some other thread, lots has been spoken already and i dont think we have any more scope on debating this topic.Passion has no value, my Fiat1100 has costed me more than the new AltoK10 as on date to get restored. So lets stop going off-topic and enjoy the thread the way it is meant for.

OTOH, i read about the Fastback discussion happening somewhere, i witnessed to see 3 very original Fastback's under restoration in ONE SINGLE PLACE as i am typing this, i am so excited.

I am not allowed to post the pics as per PK's request, since the owners are a bit sensitive regarding this.

Its really nice to see more and more VW's are getting restored. Bangalore Rocks with people like PK and bulletBoy.

Last edited by EARTHed : 1st September 2011 at 14:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks