Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Wow I log in after three days and I see this thread, Way to go. Sad about the tragedies that happened on this car considering so much of original stuff was on the car. But now that is a thing of the past and I am sure the car has a bright future in your capable hands.

The Colour is fantastic, Green happens to be my favorite colour in anycase. I can help you with the following.

Extra Rim
Fiat 1100 logo around starter switch (replica)

As the original Millecento logo on the dash is very difficult to source especially for right hand drive cars. I would advise you to put in a period radio as it will look much better on the dash. I am sure you'll be able to source a old VW one.

Smile you still have the coverted Yellow Horn button
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I dont understand what you are trying to say? What Metallic colour?
Gogiji is the car shade similar to the ford posted below. Also can you share with me the Color chart you refered to. I was intending to paint a similar color on my select. I believe its apple green or some thing like that.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc00611.jpg

Last edited by manishalive : 2nd March 2010 at 21:08.
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
...But I am sure you will get the glasses even fabricated, as original ones may be tough to come by.And what about the other meter cover in ivory colour which is missing? Could you get it?
Is that the rubber paint (black one) you have used on the floor? Guess no, because its too shiny.
The thread is getting more and more informative.
I will have to fabricate the glass for sure. its a straight glass so should not be a problem..i hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Aaah. A nice restoration.
Is this a recent restoration ? Just wondering how come so fast.
Thanks. This car was bought about two years ago, got it to Bombay about a few months after that and was lying at the Garage till about three months doing nothing. This work has started about two-two and a half months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wow I log in after three days and I see this thread, Way to go. Sad about the tragedies that happened on this car considering so much of original stuff was on the car. But now that is a thing of the past and I am sure the car has a bright future in your capable hands.
Sir i need all your expert help i can get.

Quote:
The Colour is fantastic, Green happens to be my favorite colour in anycase. I can help you with the following.

Extra Rim
Fiat 1100 logo around starter switch (replica)

As the original Millecento logo on the dash is very difficult to source especially for right hand drive cars. I would advise you to put in a period radio as it will look much better on the dash. I am sure you'll be able to source a old VW one.
Thank you Thank you

Quote:
Smile you still have the coverted Yellow Horn button

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Gogiji is the car shade similar to the ford posted below. Also can you share with me the Color chart you referred to. I was intending to paint a similar color on my select. I believe its apple green or some thing like that.
certainly looks alike. Ill ask my painter and get the code for you though im sure he mixed something in it to get the colour
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:32   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ronny Bhai!! Need all the help i can get from you and all Fiat Gurus in this one. Great to hear from you. Now with your inputs and advice we shall make this a near perfect restoration.
Anytime buddy. Your wish is my command.
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:34   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That sounds good. Do you have a picture of his car you can post?
Here it is, never seen anything like it though:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1676604-post13.html

Quote:
I dont understand what you are trying to say? What Metallic colour?
The (presumably) original green paint that was under the black in your car appeared to be a metallic shade. Here are a few pics. I'd taken when the car was here:

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-img_2151.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-img_2152.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-img_2153.jpg

I presumed it was looking at this colour that gave you the idea for the present green one. Hence my question of whether you got the current paint job done in metallic or plain.

Quote:
Nope, its not Wurth, though i did get the Wurth a few days later, i had no idea the guy is so fast. He had finished the flooring with another rubberized compound paint. On the touch it feels like Wurth though.
Speaking of flooring, did any of the panels require any patchwork? They didnt seem to when I'd last seen the underside, couple of the doors did need reskinning of course. And I remember the car had quite a lot of body-filler work, especially on the fenders. But the body looks better than I'd thought it to be, in the pic. with the paint scraped off.

Quote:
Thanks. This car was bought about two years ago, got it to Bombay about a few months after that and was lying at the Garage till about three months doing nothing. This work has started about two-two and a half months ago.
A few months after it was bought??!!
I wish!!
Sirjee, it was transported to B'bay only last year, was in my 'custody' for about a year post purchase....thanks to the wonderful ex-owner of course! Else could've got it across to you sooner and the restoration long finished by now. Nevertheless, it soon will be!
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:16   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Great Going Gogs!

Glad to see the car nearing completion.

On my next visit I shall bring you a set of meters with aluminium 'eyelids', toggle switches and tail light lenses.

For headlights I am told that Lumax units fitted to Swaraj Mazda/Eicher trucks are a direct fit. For parking lights you can use units like the ones on your Special, they are a close match, but slightly larger.

Watching this space...
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:12   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Gogi bhai, Some Dukkar pictures for viewing and help for restoring the much spoken about car.
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc00118.jpg
Name:  DSC01716.JPG
Views: 2806
Size:  121.7 KB
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc01717.jpg
The First three are by Cyrus from a HVOCT Rally
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dsc03584.jpg
The last one is by me.
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:59   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Its raining Dukkars now. All old pre-centre light era Dukkars. And this time each picture is from my collection.Gogi bhai these pictures may help you get some more ideas perhaps.
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-sonycamv-187.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-sonycamv-188.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-sonycamv-189.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dukkar-1.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dukkar-3.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dukkar-4.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dukkar-2.jpg
Old 4th March 2010, 01:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Gogi sir I am not happy for what has happened to your car esp the parts you lost and the meter glasses, however I am confident with the help of T-Bhpians you would be able to get the beauty back to originality. Wishing you all the very best, I am intending to go to the scrap yard this weekend and I will ask them if anything found which fits to your car then consider its yours.

Are you planning to close the gap created for that freaky tape fixed in the past, my say would be to close as it gives a complete look and If I am not wrong you get a monogram there right!

The colour is really good awesome workmanship, what wonders me is the lightning speed. what would be you wheel colour would it be complete green or with cream combo? Excellent work done by applying the rubber pitch (if i am correct as it looks shiny) to the floor however are you planning to apply it on the bottom of the car?

What tyres are you planning to run the car on white walls or the black ones Gogi sir? Once again WISHING YOU ALL THE VERY BEST
Old 4th March 2010, 04:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here it is, never seen anything like it though:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1676604-post13.html
Oh yeah this is one of the best i have seen so far too, i completely agree.

Quote:
The (presumably) original green paint that was under the black in your car appeared to be a metallic shade. Here are a few pics. I'd taken when the car was here:
Speaking of flooring, did any of the panels require any patchwork? They didnt seem to when I'd last seen the underside, couple of the doors did need reskinning of course. And I remember the car had quite a lot of body-filler work, especially on the fenders. But the body looks better than I'd thought it to be, in the pic. with the paint scraped off.
Yup i saw the colour too but i didnt want this one to be metallic, that im saving for the centrelight

The flooring was more or less intact but a lot of other panels were really bad.

Quote:
A few months after it was bought??!!
I wish!!
Sirjee, it was transported to B'bay only last year, was in my 'custody' for about a year post purchase....thanks to the wonderful ex-owner of course! Else could've got it across to you sooner and the restoration long finished by now. Nevertheless, it soon will be!
Well thats what i meant when i said a few months, maybe 10-12 months....

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Great Going Gogs!

Glad to see the car nearing completion.

On my next visit I shall bring you a set of meters with aluminium 'eyelids', toggle switches and tail light lenses.

For headlights I am told that Lumax units fitted to Swaraj Mazda/Eicher trucks are a direct fit. For parking lights you can use units like the ones on your Special, they are a close match, but slightly larger.

Watching this space...
You Karlji are THE MAN!! Thanks bud. Ill wait eagerly. Im in Pune from 4th till the 6th noon, we could meet and then you could give me pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Gogi bhai, Some Dukkar pictures for viewing and help for restoring the much spoken about car.
The last one is by me.
Thanks Anjan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
... however I am confident with the help of T-Bhpians you would be able to get the beauty back to originality. Wishing you all the very best,
Thanks Chanu. Thats the beauty of this forum, you have help and you dont even have to ask. This spirit is all this forum is about and i can vouch for this as i have been helped immensly in all my restorations in the past too.

Quote:
I am intending to go to the scrap yard this weekend and I will ask them if anything found which fits to your car then consider its yours.
Wow!! Hey thats so sweet of you bud, really. I really really appreciate all that you guys are doing.

Quote:
Are you planning to close the gap created for that freaky tape fixed in the past, my say would be to close as it gives a complete look and If I am not wrong you get a monogram there right!
Well i want to with the millicento plaque. If i cant get one ill make one, at least ill try.

Quote:
The colour is really good awesome workmanship, what wonders me is the lightning speed. what would be you wheel colour would it be complete green or with cream combo? Excellent work done by applying the rubber pitch (if i am correct as it looks shiny) to the floor however are you planning to apply it on the bottom of the car?
YEs want to paint the rims exactly as in the picture, cream inside and green on the trim.

[/quote]What tyres are you planning to run the car on white walls or the black ones Gogi sir? Once again WISHING YOU ALL THE VERY BEST[/quote]

Will be the recommended whitewalls.

Really appreciate all the encouragement and the help im getting. Way to go guys and Team-bhp!!

Will update after i return from Poona.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Wow !!

Wonderful, Gogi - Wonderful !
Logged on after four days, and saw your beauty. All the best for the resto buddy, I'm sure you'll get a great job done, and the 'Peshial' will have a partner to match .
The green colour is looking excellent and unusual.
Do put whitewalls !
Old 4th March 2010, 15:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wonderful, Gogi - Wonderful !
Logged on after four days, and saw your beauty. All the best for the resto buddy, I'm sure you'll get a great job done, and the 'Peshial' will have a partner to match .
The green colour is looking excellent and unusual.
Do put whitewalls !
Oh the whitewalls, where can we get them (the Indian ones)?
Old 4th March 2010, 22:40   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Clean lines, though rust had set in but was not rotting. Grill, bumpers, lights all intact, especially the rear one piece lights which are weight their weight in gold now a days.

Attachment 297663
Attachment 297664
Gogibhai, really the one peice tail lights that were fitted to the oldest Dukkar model (yours) are rare and intact in your car.Many change over to the two piece ones (these are a bit more common I guess) that came along with the later Dukkar model with a centre light on the grille.
Old 7th March 2010, 21:39   #44
BHPian

(sigh)takes me back to the days when we owned a baby hindustan. Good luck V-16. I've never seen a car lying/parked or even dumped anywhere close, but I'll keep a lookout. keep posting up. Let's make this a treasure hunt!
Old 8th March 2010, 18:14   #45
BHPian

Gogi

This Millicento bug has been in me for a while. Congrats man. You are doing a great job

You remember Steiger from our OTR. The guy with the Classic. His Dad Dominic is the Ustad of Fiats and Amby's

Drop in and have a chat with him anytime you are passing by Bandra. Amazing guy. 72 years old and still goes under cars. Complete hands on guy. He has just restored an Ambassador. What a job. The doors close like maska

Good luck

Ro
Quote:
....continued.....

Thanks Chanu. I am told the meter glasses can be replaced. I hope they can.

The car in the meanwhile was stripped and colour scrapping and subsequently the tin work was started.

Attachment 298850
Attachment 298851
Attachment 298852
Attachment 298853
Attachment 298854
45Attachment 298855
Attachment 298856

We found a similar colour in the old Fiat's colour charts and did some mixing to arrive at a colour which was finally applied on my car. This is how she looked post tin work and paint a week ago.

Attachment 298858
Attachment 298860
Attachment 298863
Attachment 298865
Attachment 298866

The hunt for all accessories now starts. Some i have got , some i need desperately like, an extra rim, the headlamps and the parking lamps, wheel caps, the little "Fiat 1100" surround badge for the starter key hole, the "Millicento" plaque on the dash etc, etc. A friend tells me that the rubbers were available from a shop at Opera House till recently and he has an extra set of all round rubbers and channels. God Bless him.

I will be grateful for any inputs on the design of the seats and door panels if someone can post them here. Also need lots of advice from Fiat gurus regarding dos and donts.

Need to source the switches, ivory knobs etc etc etc. HELP!!

Awaiting comments and advice.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks