Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 20:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rohit. Where have you been? Of course i remember him, from the OTR with his little kid. Starting them young!!

I will give you a call and then i can go and meet Mr. Dominic. Would be interesting to chat with him and get whatever knowledge i can get. Rare to find people like this in today's time. It will be a pleasure to meet him. Will call and take his contact and address when i do. Maybe you can join me if you are not too busy, probably sometime next week..... Ill get the CJ, check it out!!
Old 10th March 2010, 11:43   #47
BHPian

Hey I saw the CJ snaps. Cracking job Gogi. Too good. Come anytime next week. I will surely join you. His garage is at Agnelo House, SV Road, Khar, Opp Rajasthan Hotel and Madness Pub

See you soon
Old 27th March 2010, 00:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Update-update!!

Here we go once again.
Got new rubber beadings for the front and rear glass. Job done. The Channels are sourced and the top fixed. I took the items like the front grille, door latches also called (thessi), the bonnet monogramme, the inside plate where the knobs are housed, the rear lights, and the brake reservoir from the garage. I would get them chromed, buffed and zinc treated as per requirement.

Front & Rear windscreens with new rubbers.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-front-windscreen.jpg
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-rear-widscreen.jpg

The top fixed

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-top.jpg

The rear light fittings from which the lens were removed (with great difficulty using loads of WD 40 to prevent lens cracking/breaking) to be buffed.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-rear-lights.jpg

The grille dismantled for buffing

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dismantled-grille.jpg

Bonnet monogramme, plate to house the knobs and the door thessis to be chromed.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-bonnet-monogramme-knob-plate-door-thessis.jpg

The Engine Bay: The gear rods have to be coloured black

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-engine-bay.jpg

The brake reservoir had a lot of rust and pittance. The lower part where the tube would be attached was secured with a bolt and the whole thing was given a nice rub with sandpaper and washed to make it smooth before sending for Zinc coating.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-brake-reservoir.jpg

You will notice that the place where the side indicators are usually put in a 57 have been left as they are. I have asked him to fill it in and paint it. To the best of my knowledge, this year of Millicentos never came with a parking light.

Although the book says 1956, i have my doubts. I feel its a 55. Can anyone decipher the chassis number of my car and tell me her vintage? also other finer details if i have missed any and the kind of things that should go in to this car to make it an absolute original or near original. I mean the rear inside lights, the rear numberplate light etc etc. I am in the process of sourcing new aluminum beadings for the exterior.

Chassis number

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-chassis-number.jpg

Last edited by V-16 : 27th March 2010 at 00:06.
Old 27th March 2010, 00:08   #49
Senior - BHPian

The rear lights are easily available.. Rs1400 a pair...!
Old 27th March 2010, 00:19   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
You will notice that the place where the side indicators are usually put in a 57 have been left as they are. I have asked him to fill it in and paint it. To the best of my knowledge, this year of Millicentos never came with a parking light.

Although the book says 1956, i have my doubts. I feel its a 55. Can anyone decipher the chassis number of my car and tell me her vintage? also other finer details if i have missed any and the kind of things that should go in to this car to make it an absolute original or near original. I mean the rear inside lights, the rear numberplate light etc etc. I am in the process of sourcing new aluminum beadings for the exterior.

Chassis number

Attachment 316441
Good going Gogiji. True, the 54-56 Millecento did not have side indicators on the side of the mudguards, only coupled with the parking lamp below the headlight.

The car can definitely be a 56. 1956 was a transitionary year for this and the centre light models.

Do post pics of the side trims you plan to fit.
Old 27th March 2010, 00:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
The rear lights are easily available.. Rs1400 a pair...!
The whole assembly with lens? I would want a pair then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Good going Gogiji. True, the 54-56 Millecento did not have side indicators on the side of the mudguards, only coupled with the parking lamp below the headlight.

The car can definitely be a 56. 1956 was a transitionary year for this and the centre light models.

Do post pics of the side trims you plan to fit.
Oh ok. Karlji please tell me if the top is right. Ill be selecting the rexine for the seats and the door panels tomorrow.
Old 27th March 2010, 00:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not the whole assembly, only the lens.. On the lens it says "Torino" and Made in Italy.. NOt sure if its really from Italy.. Quality is good enough..
Old 27th March 2010, 00:33   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Oh ok. Karlji please tell me if the top is right. Ill be selecting the rexine for the seats and the door panels tomorrow.
I have rear lenses for you

Here are pics of the top and door pads from a very original car. Not sure if it is a factory job, though the patterns should be correct.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-14.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-15.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-17.jpg

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-23.jpg
Old 27th March 2010, 10:55   #54
BHPian

Well Done Gogs! Your Millecento is coming up really well.
Hope you are trying to get her ready for the upcoming VCCCI Rally?

Do not worry about the Tail Light lenses (so called - Anda glass). Very Good quality duplicated TORINO ones are available now. Let me know, if you need a set and I shall be happy to drop them at your place.

Last edited by President : 27th March 2010 at 11:01.
Old 27th March 2010, 16:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Arun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by President View Post
Well Done Gogs! Your Millecento is coming up really well.
Hope you are trying to get her ready for the upcoming VCCCI Rally?

Do not worry about the Tail Light lenses (so called - Anda glass). Very Good quality duplicated TORINO ones are available now. Let me know, if you need a set and I shall be happy to drop them at your place.
Thanks Ronny bhai i hope you are taking care of your health.

I will need your expert eyes to check out the car and its progress whenever you are free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I have rear lenses for you

Here are pics of the top and door pads from a very original car. Not sure if it is a factory job, though the patterns should be correct.
Thanks Karlji. Thanks for the pics.

Guys, I was told by a collector that the factory top was available only in grey colour. Is that correct? I have already got a white top on.

Is this the type of door panel design to be used in my car?

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-fiat12g.jpg

Last edited by V-16 : 27th March 2010 at 17:14. Reason: addiong pic
Old 27th March 2010, 17:32   #56
Senior - BHPian

Wah Wah Kya baat hai Gogi, Fabulous choice of colour (green is my favorite).
Find attached a similar car which came up for sale many years ago from Italy. The door pockets in the front are very important for the integrity of the design.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-e8ae_1.jpg  

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-e9ec_1.jpg  

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-e7cf_1.jpg  

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-e94f_1.jpg  

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-ea8d_1.jpg  

Old 27th March 2010, 19:58   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Amol. Maybe if you find time you could come with me and check it out forits finer details......Please!!
The seats in your pic seem to have a seat cover. Else they would have the V shape design on the lower seat right?

Last edited by V-16 : 27th March 2010 at 19:59.
Old 28th March 2010, 16:19   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 316430

The Engine Bay: The gear rods have to be coloured black
Gogibhai, the car is coming up very well. As for the engine bay, the steering rods are black while the center vertical link is in chassis red with its mount left in clean alluminium finish. I will post some photographs soon for reference.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 29th March 2010, 09:25   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got new rubber beadings for the front and rear glass. Job done.
Front & Rear windscreens with new rubbers.

Bonnet monogramme, plate to house the knobs and the door thessis to be chromed.

Great going gogs! 'checked out this thread when I was away (was in Madras over the weekend, just came home) but posting only now.

I can see the car will be coming out real good. But if I might ask, why get the bonnet monogram chromed? I thought it (and the small patti above it on the centre of the bonnet) is supposed to be in aluminium on the 55-56 fiats?

Rear numberplate light was the original one, again in aluminium. But wasnt working I guess.

I reckon the cars in India, even though imported, were introduced a year later than the home-market, the millecento actually came out in 1953 in Italy, whereas in India it was in '54.
Old 29th March 2010, 18:48   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Gogibhai-the Dukkar is getting readied with efforts and more and more efforts.
Lets hope the Dukkar emerges as a very well restored car.Being in Mumbai is a great advantage as spares are better available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks