Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 23:55   #61
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Shyam and Anjan. Yes parts availability of thee cars is a tad beyyer in Bombay as the factory was based here and this city has remauined partial to Fiats always...er at least the older gen Fiats

Still cars ans with them parts are fast diminishing but thanks to a feew concerned and generous Bhpians who are also Fiat lovers, one usually gets what one is after. Jai ho and thanks guys, you know who you are!!
Old 27th April 2010, 19:46   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thanks Shyam and Anjan. Yes parts availability of thee cars is a tad beyyer in Bombay as the factory was based here and this city has remauined partial to Fiats always...er at least the older gen Fiats

Still cars ans with them parts are fast diminishing but thanks to a feew concerned and generous Bhpians who are also Fiat lovers, one usually gets what one is after. Jai ho and thanks guys, you know who you are!!
Gogibhai am very sorry, I wanted updates on this very Dukkar, but I innocently clicked your 1961 Fiat 1100D thread and sought updates there. Then what intrigued me was that if its 1961, it just cannot be a Dukkar, never! So again I have now navigated myself to the right thread to know more!
Old 27th April 2010, 21:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Lol!! No sweat Anjan. I have no further pics as of now but im going tomorrow there. The seat work in done.

I had to change the top as my seat guy, rightfully pointed out to me that Dukkars in these era had a light greyish top and this one was white. Also in the Dukkar the pillars were not rexine covered as was wrongly done. So although it will be costing me a bit more (ouch) i had to get it changed. I was also thinking that the seat design sould be the "V" type as was in Amol's dukkar but removing the covers on the seat revealed a very surprisingly intact, original (or as Rony would say "OO-REEH-GGEE-NAL" ) seat covers in a tan self design. I have tried to get the closest colour and design of the original seat rexine. Also the design is simple fluted and not the "V" type so my seat guy and me had a short and specific discussion reproduced below:

Me: "So this is the original seat hah?
Him: "Yes Sir"
Me: "Lets change it to the "V" type"
Him: "Then get it done from someone else"

Thats it!! I was not going to loose him so i stuck to the original (thankfully)

The seats are ready, the top is in place. Tomorrow im getting back the small bits which were sent for chroming/buffing etc. Also i have to take the bumpers for rechroming as there is a lot of pittance on them.

I need to source the two small parking lights which were broken when the car was delivered from Hyderabad.

The engine and gearbox go in for a check and if there is any work to get it done. Then the suspension. All this has to be done in this week. The car, im expecting to be delivered to me by the next 15- days or so, hopefully.
Old 27th April 2010, 22:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine and gearbox go in for a check and if there is any work to get it done. Then the suspension. All this has to be done in this week. The car, im expecting to be delivered to me by the next 15- days or so, hopefully.
Hey Gogs, waiting to see her. Shall we postpone the FCCCI meet for the Millecento's debut ?
Also, some recent pictures please..
Old 27th April 2010, 23:00   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes indeed Gogibhai, I was once wondering where this thread is? Thanks for the updates or the health bulletin of the Dukkar. A wonderful discovery was the original seat fabric underneath the covers! Thats good luck or else who preserves 50 plus year old original fabric?
Waiting to see more of this Dukkar.
Old 28th April 2010, 14:11   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was also thinking that the seat design sould be the "V" type as was in Amol's dukkar but removing the covers on the seat revealed a very surprisingly intact, original (or as Rony would say "OO-REEH-GGEE-NAL" ) seat covers in a tan self design. I have tried to get the closest colour and design of the original seat rexine. Also the design is simple fluted and not the "V" type so my seat guy and me had a short and specific discussion reproduced below:

Me: "So this is the original seat hah?
Him: "Yes Sir"
Me: "Lets change it to the "V" type"
Him: "Then get it done from someone else"

Thats it!! I was not going to loose him so i stuck to the original (thankfully)

I need to source the two small parking lights which were broken when the car was delivered from Hyderabad.
That's great news Gogi - please please please preserve a sample of the original material - your's is the first 54-56 I am hearing off with original upholstry as reference. Did you take any pics of the original seat?

For the time being you can fit the front parking lights from a 58-64 Select/Super Select - they are similar in design but slightly larger.
Old 21st April 2012, 18:26   #67
Senior - BHPian

re: Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Wow I log in after three days and I see this thread, Way to go. Sad about the tragedies that happened on this car considering so much of original stuff was on the car. But now that is a thing of the past and I am sure the car has a bright future in your capable hands.

The Colour is fantastic, Green happens to be my favorite colour in any case. I can help you with the following.

Extra Rim
Fiat 1100 logo around starter switch (replica)

As the original Millecento logo on the dash is very difficult to source especially for right hand drive cars. I would advise you to put in a period radio as it will look much better on the dash. I am sure you'll be able to source a old VW one.

Smile you still have the coverted Yellow Horn button
Ok so the car is ready. Posting a sneak peek pic with better pics of the interiors etc to follow.

Another Fiat - The Restoration of a 1956 Millicento-dukkar.jpg

Hope you guys like the outcome.

Managed to get it done after a sourcing hassle of many parts. Gladly and unbelievably found a set of the show pattis (brand new ones) from a place that does not keep these and by accident. Sent my garage guy there and had them picked up that very instant. These are what you see on the car.

The victims of Restoration were
1) The original Brake fluid reservoir which almost melted when sent for electro-cleaning
2) The little white light cover which just disintegrated to powder when removing

Nothing more i can think of.

1) The Car now required a fifth OE Rim
2) Four hub caps
3) Grab handles which go on the roof
4) Interior roof lights.

anyone having the above or any info on where to get them please let me know.

More pics to be posted later.

@ Amol - may i have the Fial1100 logo now??

Last edited by V-16 : 21st April 2012 at 18:29.
V-16 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 20:14   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ok so the car is ready. Posting a sneak peek pic with better pics of the interiors etc to follow.

1) The Car now required a fifth OE Rim
Congratulations Gogiji - she looks terrific. When can I see it? Please arrange to collect one rim from Pune.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 21:53   #69
BANNED

Its raining Millecento restorations on T-BHP. First it was Sonu Singh (Ariesonu) Now Gogi bhai. Well, let me gear up next.

Now Gogi Bhai, What an outcome Very period and precise. Yes its taken a lot of time post paint and its finish state, but as they say, devil lies in detailing. All the best for the final outcome. Maybe i can help you with one IMPORTANT part for your car. Please PM me your correspondence address.

Can we have more pics of the car please.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 21st April 2012 at 22:02.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 22:48   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The victims of Restoration were
1) The original Brake fluid reservoir which almost melted when sent for electro-cleaning
2) The little white light cover which just disintegrated to powder when removing
Ohh dear! A pity that reservoir was lost! Perhaps sand-blasting would've been a better technique? Or maybe a reservoir isnt rigid enough to withstand that either?

Whats this little white light cover btw? Where does it fit?

Last edited by Stanher : 21st April 2012 at 22:50.
Old 23rd April 2012, 11:36   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Many congratulations Gogi ji. So how long did the work take from start to finish? Car looks great and am eagerly waiting for detailed shots.

Regards
mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Congratulations Gogiji - she looks terrific. When can I see it? Please arrange to collect one rim from Pune.
Unfortunately the Thanks button can only be utilized once in a post. Please consider X10 to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ohh dear! A pity that reservoir was lost! Perhaps sand-blasting would've been a better technique? Or maybe a reservoir isnt rigid enough to withstand that either?

Whats this little white light cover btw? Where does it fit?
The Reservoir was riddled with many a hole and was almost in shreds. Had it been sandblasted it would disintegrate. Anyways im looking at a home made replacement which will look period enough.

The light cover is actually that white light between the meters, i guess its the headlight beam light. The small little almost extinct, thingy standing out in the dash. Both my Dukkars had it and both are now powder:(

I got this car in 2010 and it went into restoration almost a year later. So it took a little over a year. Id say time well spent. Mostly time was taken getting the seats and stuff right. I got some pattern from the net but when i sent the seats to be upholstered, we found the cover actually stitched onto the original seats. So we got our sample from the car itself. So we just did a replica of the seats in the same simple design that existed and so also for the side door panels which. Then getting the side pattis was a nightmare. What we found were mostly already beaten out of shape stuff and then this brand new set fell into my lap, literally. Restores my faith in coincidence.

The other 1957 has already gone through the tin work process and now awaits paint. For that too i have got a unique colour combination from the same source i got this from. Will open a thread and post it there. Hope you guys will also throw some expert light on that one too.

More pics coming up shortly, my digicam acting up....

Last edited by V-16 : 23rd April 2012 at 16:37.
Old 23rd April 2012, 17:22   #73
BHPian

Lovely colour choice, Gogi; hatke from the blacks, and the profusion of blues (although it's my favourite shade in everything, including on celluloid!), and seems to have come out well too! Apt for the times as well, when it's a pressing need for everybody to go green! Congratulations, Veerji, changa kitta ae! Hor naal, Janmdin de lakh, lakh vadhayiaan vi!!
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 18:19   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@ Amol - may i have the Fial1100 logo now??
Yes sir! yours after all such a splendid effort you deserve it.
I am dying to see the interior for this car, I am hoping it will be something just as retro and cool as the colour.
Old 23rd April 2012, 19:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Lovely colour choice, Gogi; hatke from the blacks, and the profusion of blues (although it's my favourite shade in everything, including on celluloid!), and seems to have come out well too! Apt for the times as well, when it's a pressing need for everybody to go green! Congratulations, Veerji, changa kitta ae! Hor naal, Janmdin de lakh, lakh vadhayiaan vi!!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Yes sir! yours after all such a splendid effort you deserve it.
I am dying to see the interior for this car, I am hoping it will be something just as retro and cool as the colour.
Awesome, thanks buddy!!
Interior is Tan, as original...at least tried,will post pics tomorrow, my digicam should be repaired by then, else will use phone can and do it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks