Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2010, 17:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Time to update the thread? I am eagerly waiting for some updates.

Pramod
Old 27th March 2010, 11:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Well the mechanicals are sortable no problem, but the body seems like NOT in very good shape. May look for a donor car or body shell off a W123.

Not easy, but then nothing is impossible. Loads of offers to buy the engine though !!

Cheers
Old 27th March 2010, 11:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The reason I'm getting into this is, because cars of similar vintage with smaller engines (240D) are being sold for high numbers here & their condition is such I would not want to be seen driving it dead !!! Rust oozing out from under patchy paintwork, running boards filled with putty instead of replacement of sheet metal, mismatched headlamps & they call it pristine.

I was horrified when I saw such examples in plenty.

This particular car is physically in good shape, bodyline is fine, no accidental damage, engine complete to the "T", working or not - we shall find out, the only thing that has taken a beating is the bonnet !! Seems like the local kids have been jumping on it off & on :-(

Anyway, thanks for all the inputs. I am also looking at W124's & am seeing 2 today a petrol & a diesel. May buy another & keep this restoration job going at it's pace & finally decide which one to keep at the end of it or maybe both who knows !!

Cheers
Hi Ricky nice project you are planning. considering I am no good to talk about Mercs' however looking at the pictures of the car I am sure she can be restored to the maximum. As said above I don't have any expertise in Merc however we have loads of experienced people who can help you. I am just here to encourage you if you are planning to restore or deal a good one. Mercs' have always been fantacising me apart from BMWs' hence listen to what you heart says and validate through mind and shoot. All the very best buddy. I will stick to this thread for updates.
Old 17th April 2010, 18:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Still looking to buy a donor Merc 123 :-( Any pointers people ?? Any help will be sincerely appreciated !!

Worst case scenario is I will have to sell it off, a 300D is a rare find, but then it is no use without a good clean bodyshell.
Old 31st May 2010, 21:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Had to let her go There was no body available & without it - there would be no worthwhile restoration.

So instead of baking a half baked cake - I let it go !! Sob x 3

That concludes an unfinished dream.
Old 1st June 2010, 16:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Holly christ, Why i didnt see this 2 days before . There is a w 123 with konjaril(the guy who is converting the contessa into a camero) he is just using the engine for his project, Plus you find a lot of w 123s in kerala. Let me know if you are willing to ship one to Delhi then i can look for one if you have not bid farewell to your dream.

Pramod
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Holly christ, Why i didnt see this 2 days before . There is a w 123 with konjaril(the guy who is converting the contessa into a camero) he is just using the engine for his project, Plus you find a lot of w 123s in kerala. Let me know if you are willing to ship one to Delhi then i can look for one if you have not bid farewell to your dream.

Pramod

Thanks for the offer, but the chapter is closed now.

Cheers

Most Viewed