Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2010, 12:04   #76
BHPian

Anti rust coats on all parts completed(ofcourse after the coating of Zinc primer). Meanwhile all 4 shockers have also been serviced for a smooooooth drive later.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-img_2541.jpg  

damasthebiker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2010, 19:59   #77
Senior - BHPian

Excellent work on the chassis!

Appreciate your effort on posting lot of pictures. The pictures really speak.

Your car's restoration seems to be going very well. Keep it going. Just cant wait to see the end result.
Old 28th April 2010, 23:42   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Good going sachit! Have you got all the suspension bushes etc. BTW? If not, what do you intend to do about those?
Old 29th April 2010, 07:15   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
Hi Tantragna, thanks for the advice, will definately visit my painter today and make him do it.
Hi damasthebiker,

Excellent work being carried out. The body and chassis repairs have been well done.

Do also check the possibility of using epoxy paint on the body undersides. This comes in two parts and the brand is ICC. You will have local brands available.

The chassis you have already treated with the primers on the outside,for the inside coating, you have this alternative too.

Regards,
Old 29th April 2010, 10:25   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Good going sachit! Have you got all the suspension bushes etc. BTW? If not, what do you intend to do about those?
I already got the suspension bush kit. I guess tomorrow onwards we will start assembling again ones the smaller parts have been painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
Hi damasthebiker,

Excellent work being carried out. The body and chassis repairs have been well done.

Do also check the possibility of using epoxy paint on the body undersides. This comes in two parts and the brand is ICC. You will have local brands available.

The chassis you have already treated with the primers on the outside,for the inside coating, you have this alternative too.

Regards,
Thanks brother
Generally I am following the same procedure for all parts i.e. Yellow zinc primer - Red primer (2 coats) - final paint. For the underside I have been advised to put Hammertone with hardner (hope i have spelled it right) as the final paint instead rubberpaint.

We have finalised the chassis paint yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-img_2569.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2568.jpg  

Old 29th April 2010, 10:36   #81
Senior - BHPian

Great going Damasthebiker. Eagerly waiting for the final outcome although i like restoration and WIP part the most.

Yesterday, saw a off white Herald in old city which was parked inside a garage. Will click some pics this weekend. Hope its for sale.
Old 29th April 2010, 13:52   #82
BHPian

Thanks Samsag12,
Hope this thread will be of some help to future restorers. There are still so many vehicles out there waiting for restoration and there are even more numbers of enthusiasts who would like to have them but are sceptic to restore because of all the time and money and to top it all patience these beauties demand from them. Hope this will inspire these people a bit more to adopt one of these marvels from the past and bring them back to their glory. After all if a person has the will and patience it is not all that difficult to engage oneself with a restoration project.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:09   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Chassis looks good! So what's the status on the car now?
Old 12th May 2010, 18:41   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Chassis looks good! So what's the status on the car now?
Sorry for this long gap in between I was out of the country for a few days.

In the meanwhile my mechanic has check the differential for all possible ailments he had opened it up completely and reassembled it back after giving it a thorough service and lubrication.

He also opened up the clutch and to his surprise the clutch plates were almost like !!!! possibly it was replaced short before the car went into "hibernation".

All wheel cylinders are serviced and have been replaced with new seals and washers.
Rear axel crosses have been replaced with new ones.

Unfortunately I could not take any pictures because of my absence.

Today I visited the garage again they have assembled the chassis back to lot of extent. The pictures should do the talking themselves. The new brake pipelines are in manufacturing stage should get them in a day or two.

probably we will be able to put back the body within this week.

I plan to finish this car before the monsoon knocks this season so wish me luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-img_2834.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2835.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2836.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2837.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2838.jpg  

Standard Herald 1967-img_2839.jpg  

Old 13th May 2010, 01:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

Boy O Boy! I couldn't believe its the same car which was toed from the junk yard. Chassis looks awesome and the progress is fast and rapid man. Clean mechanical work. I felt as if all brand new parts were fixed (straight from assembly line feel) are you planning for some yellow primer like the one shyam guru has done for his car chassis.

Wow unique suspension setup I never knew it. Oh thats why the car's front wheel are tilted at the bottom towards inside the car as the weight of the engine will get the tyres straight. Hope to see more action as you are back into the scene. Did you get any parts while you were out of country for this car? all the very best of good luck dude.
Old 13th May 2010, 01:25   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
Today I visited the garage again they have assembled the chassis back to lot of extent. The pictures should do the talking themselves. The new brake pipelines are in manufacturing stage should get them in a day or two.
Great! I especially love the front suspension- what have you applied on the coil springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I felt as if all brand new parts were fixed (straight from assembly line feel) are you planning for some yellow primer like the one shyam guru has done for his car chassis.
I too felt that way! Reg. zinc primer, he already did apply it on his chassis. Do check the previous pages.

Quote:
Oh thats why the car's front wheel are tilted at the bottom towards inside the car as the weight of the engine will get the tyres straight.
Um, that's the REAR suspension, bala! Front is the one with the coil-springs.
The rear wheels go straight once the car is running.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2010, 01:40   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wow unique suspension setup I never knew it. Oh thats why the car's front wheel are tilted at the bottom towards inside the car as the weight of the engine will get the tyres straight. Hope to see more action as you are back into the scene. Did you get any parts while you were out of country for this car? all the very best of good luck dude.

Hi

That is the REAR suspension and not the front. You will see this tilt in many cars like Mercedes & Volkswagen and that is due to the design of the rear suspension. It normally straightens out once the car is driven and there is some weight on the car even when the engine is on the car and so is the body.

I am uploading an illustrated pic for you to understand it better.When we have no load then the wheels jutt in towards the bottom and then once the car has got some load the wheels straighten out. If we have excessive load then the same the wheel jutt in towards the top this time and you know that the car is overloaded.

Hope it is clear now.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard Herald 1967-rearsuspension.jpg  

IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2010, 10:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

Wow! thanks Indrojitsir for the detailed explanation. I was dumn. I could have seen the Housing below the suspension and understood its rear. The illustration was really good and made easy to understand this unique setup of suspension. Now with this I have a doubt. Due to the tyres being tilting towards inside when there is lesser load and jutting outside when there is load or over load then will the rear tyres not be impacted with uneven wear and tear. How is the experience of this kind of suspension.
Old 13th May 2010, 10:40   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now with this I have a doubt. Due to the tyres being tilting towards inside when there is lesser load and jutting outside when there is load or over load then will the rear tyres not be impacted with uneven wear and tear. How is the experience of this kind of suspension.
Actually even when there is less or no load, the moment the car starts running, it is automatically exerting weight on the road, and t hereby the suspension, so the wheels go straight in any case. They seldom tend to jut outwards, even on excessive load, though. Unless perhaps the rear spring has gone weak.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2010, 13:14   #90
BHPian

[quote=Stanher;1882840]Great! I especially love the front suspension- what have you applied on the coil springs?

I had some leftover Red paint from my Gypsy King which I finished in February this year. I thought it would be a nice accent colour to compliment the normally dull black colour which is used for the chassis and engine parts.

Looks much more sportier, doesnt it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks